[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst long-running New 52 series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: Red_Hood_and_the_Outlaws_Vol_1_1.jpg (898 KB, 1280x1970) Image search: [Google]
Red_Hood_and_the_Outlaws_Vol_1_1.jpg
898 KB, 1280x1970
Is there any other long-lasting New 52 series that has been as consistently bad as RHATO? You had Lobdell beating the reader over the head with shitty narration for 30 issues, as well as awful runs from Tynion and Pfeiffer as well. And then it was relaunched, and remained awful as Red Hood/Arsenal.

The only one I can think of that comes close is Teen Titans, which had to put up with 30 of Lobdell, and is currently somewhere between mediocre and terrible under Pfeiffer. But at least DC's putting Pak on it in February.

Others that miss the cut:

- Suicide Squad was good for 4 issues under Ales Kot. And Sean Ryan's recent arc was passable. And it's getting Tim Seeley in Feb.
- Green Arrow is saved by Lemire's run, though all the other writers (Jurgens, Nocenti, TV writers, Percy) have been mediocre or terrible.
- Catwoman escapes pure shit thanks to Valentine's run.
- Deathstroke... was okay under Higgins, and was cancelled for a while.
>>
Earth 2 feels like it has been awful for ages.
>>
RHATO was definitely bad. But it was my guilty pleasure, and I did like the weird dynamic between that randomly assigned trio. Even grim slutfire. Once Tynion took over though, there was no reason for me to stick with it. I'll enjoy R/A while it lasts though.
>>
>>77630284
I've come to think that Red Hood/Arsenal fills the current void of Blue and Gold that DC has, in it's own stupid way.
At least it does for me.
>>
>>77630282
Yeah if it goes on being shit for any longer then it will be tied with RHATO
>>
Stormwatch was pretty bad
>>
>>77630010
Suicide Squad is a completely irredeemable pile of a shit and DC is still pushing it. Fuck DC.
>>
>>77630524
>>77630284

Good God, you guys have horrible taste. Comparing Jason and Roy current terrible characterization to Ted and Michael is almost a sin unto itself.
>>
>>77630282
True, but it was good until Robinson left it.

>>77630524
I feel like it SHOULD be just a fun, mindless, and entertaining action/comedy bout, but somehow it forgets the "fun" and "entertaining" bits. The dialogue somehow feels like it needs to make the most basic of jokes, and then explain the jokes to the audience.
>>
Better to keep him on it where he can't do harm elsewhere (RIP in peace Teen Titans)
>>
>>77630886
Good point. Red Hood/Arsenal is basically the Lobdell quarantine zone for now.
>>
>>77630804
New Suicide Squad has been good. Keep up.
>>
>>77630284
I enjoyed Suicide Squad and what I've read of Red hood, neo /co/ is just full of huglords.
>>
>>77630918
It's been like that for a while now. Like how Klarion became Nocenti containment
>>
Haven't gotten into much New 52.
Is there anything that's bad, but entertaining? Not "haha it's so bad that I can laugh" but rather it's bad but absolutely insane.
>>
>>77630951
No it's not. You must eat breakfast in the bathroom with your taste for shit.
>>
>>77631017
Stormwatch was like that
>>
Teen Titans
>>
>>77631017
Check out Klarion.
>>
>>77631018
You have to actually read the book to form an opinion on it lad.
>>
>>77631017
Batman Odyssey might be what you're looking for, though it wasn't bad
>>
>>77630861
I agree. Current Jason and Roy are so bad that don't even serve good homolust undertones.
>>
>>77631055
>>77631081
>>77631106
Thanks guys.
>>
>>77631057
That is cheating, anon.
>>
>>77631017
Not New 52, but All-Star Batman and Robin...
>>
>>77631197
Sorry. According to this, Teen Titans is the only thing that comes close:

http://www.dccomics.com/talent/scott-lobdell

So the answer to "What's been as consistently bad as long as RHATO?" is simply Teen Titans.
>>
>>77631057
Is Teen Titans the worst long-running DC book period?
>>
>>77631476
ASBAR is supposed to be outrageously terrible though. Read the story noted Miller gives to Lee. Lobdell is just non-purposefully terrible.
>>
>>77631504
Teen Titans is the horrifying monster that eats any reasonably competent writer who tries to take it on and then shits out truly abysmal material when a hack gets assigned to it. And yet I think it could be turned around if Editorial would issue one single command: make it light-hearted and show sexy teenagers having fun, instead of putting them through a meat grinder.
>>
I liked RHATO for a while, though maybe just for the cast. Id honestly say Batgirl. The Simone run was terrible and this current run has been rocky

Also Earth 2 since Robinson left. What a crazy drop in quality
>>
>>77631627
They should seriously Batgirl the fuck out of Teen Titans. Give them makeshift costumes and teen level problems and teen level antagonists to appeal to... you know... people who are actually teens and in their early 20s today.
>>
>>77631081
>love Klarion
>find out he's getting a solo
>mfw reading
When are people going to realize that the quirky young superhero with progressive and wacky sidecast only works if the writer is good?
>>
>>77631764
Teen Titans should be Gotham Academy but instead it's Nubo
>>
>>77631764
They're trying to do that and the book is still shit. The solution is still getting a good writer on the title.
>>
>>77632186
Good writers can only do so much with a shitty editor.
>>
>>77632209
True, Cotton poisons everything he touches
>>
File: CheckinThemDubs.png (633 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
CheckinThemDubs.png
633 KB, 1280x720
>>77630010
>mfw I actually really liked RHatO
>>
>>77630010
RHaTO wasn't that bad under Lobdell. Teen Titans and Earth 2 have been consistently mediocre-terrible.
>>
>>77632608
>RHaTO wasn't that bad under Lobdell
You're right anon, it was much worse.
>>
>>77632769
Man, sure a lot of Lobdell dick riders for that book for some reason.
>>
>>77631504
It's the longest running trainwreck in comicbook history.
>>
>>77630010
Teen Titans has made RHATO look like Shakespeare.

TT is such garbage you have to wonder if they are making it bad on purpose!
>>
>>77636675
Most common defense for RHATO: "It's not as bad as Lobdell's other stuff!"
>>
>>77636752
I hate this sentiment because it's misleading and implies that it actually has something of merit. It's not "good for a Lobdell book". It's shit for a comic book, period.
>>
>>77630010
Red Hood is hella fun, though. Dumb, yes, but very fun. Best depiction of Starfire period, as well.
>>
>>77636752
That's not true Gen X was actually good. So good I can't help but think that over the years he got replaced by a really shitty twin.
>>
>>77636999
Was fun at start. After 10 issues or so it went downhill.
Special mention to Christmas Annual, I love that issue.
>>
File: Harley BTFO.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Harley BTFO.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
New Suicide Squad's been really good for quite a while now.
>>
>>77637042
It became good during Taliban arc. Parts in Russia and China were idiotic.
>>
green lantern has goen from shit to really boring save the black hand parts since venditti took over
>>
>>77637128
to add to this new guardians became shit when the actual new guardians stopped showing up and it became kyle space romance
>>
>>77636675
editorial mandates ruin Titans
>>
>>77630010
I stayed for the art that artists can draw dudes like no one else can.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.