[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Justice League Unlimited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: JLUpromo.jpg (79 KB, 424x605) Image search: [Google]
JLUpromo.jpg
79 KB, 424x605
Why did Superman get jobbed so much in this show?
>>
>>77565371
>waah muh shitty alien isn't as OP as usual
>>
But OP, Martian Manhunter was a substantially bigger jobber. They even wrote him off the show for a while.
>>
That's not Martian Manhunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-edqockL90
>>
Because "Superman saves the day again" makes a poor league series.
>>
Because the JLA was not a group of characters that were created to go together and Superman realistically makes 99% of the team completely worthless
>>
>>77565371
Superman explains it in one episode. Every hit he takes is a hit the rest of the team doesn't have to take. So he went in and tanked the hell out of the badguys so the others didn't get hurt. He also said he always had to hold back so he didn't destroy everything because he felt like he lived in a world made of cardboard.
>>
>>77565476
I don't recall Martian Manhunter getting to do much after season 2, actually.
>>
>>77565517
Yeah, it's kinda like how Thor looks completely worthless in those Avengers movies.

With great power comes great jobbing, at times.

At least, if you're gonna be on a super hero team especially with badass normals it seems.
>>
The brain switch episode proved that flash is just incompetent with his abilities
>>
>>77565665
I dunno anon, that one Sorceress chick seemed to like his dickings.
>>
>>77565371
So the concept of Superman needing a team of superheroes to help him out is actually believable
>>
>>77565588
That because he did not do much
>>
>>77565371
Superman can't have an action show at his usual power levels, since it'd be kinda like One Punch Man except without comedy.
Also, "World of Cardboard" speech in the final episode.
>>
>>77565588
>>77565476
They didn't write him off, he gotten the Watchtower duty since he was only person without a personal life so he could live there.
>>
>>77565702
The same sorceress that fucked a gorilla?
>>
File: DC.jpg (59 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
59 KB, 400x300
>>77565371
batman.the answer is always batman.
>>
>just started reading some New 52
>get to volume 3 when Atlantis attacks the surface
>Superman needs help from Wonder Woman lifting a ship
>Superman gets knocked back by some mook Atlantean
>Superman needs help taking down those Trench mooks
OK, what the fuck. I get that pre-52 Superman has had a myriad of different writers so there has to be some inconsistency, but you'd think they would try to standardise his strengths in New 52?
>>
>>77565371
Because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPYl1OQoqk
>>
>>77569488
He was probably low on sun juice at the time. The drawbacks on having an indoor job.
>>
>>77565506
>Martian Manhunter does anything to do with telepathy

"ugh, i'm feeling weak. phew that took a lot outta me"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfNRrcFNVM
>>
File: captain marvel in a nutshell.jpg (437 KB, 880x1035) Image search: [Google]
captain marvel in a nutshell.jpg
437 KB, 880x1035
>>77569562
why is he so perfect
>>
>>77569562
>>77569591
Cap was also literally the best part of Young Justice.
>>
Why Superma was portrayted so selfishly in JLU?
>>
>>77569653

I agree, he was kind of a dick for half of the JLU series, though I figure several things factor into this.

Luthor was campaigning for president, and was doing everything in his power to push Supes' buttons because he knows the big blue boyscout doesn't trust him at all.

He then finds out that the government has commissioned a secret organization to prepare countermeasures in case JL goes rogue. Then that this organization works closely with Luthor.

There was also that thing he admitted to at the end of Divided We Fall episode; the superheroes have become detached from the rest of humankind. This was also hinted at much earlier by Lois, and even earlier by Green Arrow at the beginning of the series.
>>
>>77569653
Supes did nothing wrong in JLU
>>
>>77569785

>this poor quality bait
>>
>>77569799
>this poor quality bait
>>
>>77569653

Because characters with flaws are more interesting. The nice thing about Timm/Dini not being Superman fanboys is they actually wrote him as a character, not an amalgamation of Christ-like tropes.

And it makes sense in context. Clark basically ran solo for YEARS and kept Metropolis safe, of course he might be a little arrogant about his powers.
>>
>>77565371

Because he is the gauge for how strong bad guys and other heroes are.
>>
>>77565371
Because Bruce Timm is a ginormous Batfag.
>>
Flash and Martian Manhunter jobbed quite often in as much as they forgot how their powers work. Flash would always run into attacks while Manhunter only remembered that he could phase through enemy attacks at the 11th hour. That's probably the dumbest thing about the fight with Super Luthor: everyone's getting their ass kicked by his tentacle form and Manhunter goes NO! and phases out of them...even though he could have done that immediately and saved everyone a lot of pain.
>>
File: Roulete.png (622 KB, 827x1250) Image search: [Google]
Roulete.png
622 KB, 827x1250
I recall it being stated in interviews, commentary and articles that they had to de-power Superman in this animated setting(including his own cartoon, not just Justice League) so there would actually be drama, since if Superman was at full throttle there would be no show and his team mates would be useless.

I think animated Superman's worst jobbing moment was when he had trouble beating two teenagers with ice guns.
>>
>that batman beyond episode where the writers said the batman was literally the greatest hero on the league

Way to shit on the rest of the team

I liked the show
>>
>>77570165
A normal human hanging out with gods and actually contributing in a meaningful way is pretty impressive.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.