[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What helps the most at choosing your comics? 1. Writers 2. Artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: top-5-women-12.jpg (52 KB, 300x391) Image search: [Google]
top-5-women-12.jpg
52 KB, 300x391
What helps the most at choosing your comics?

1. Writers
2. Artists
3. Characters
4. Genre
5. Other (explain)
>>
Artists for me!
>>
>>77539186
It needs to be a required law that if you draw a woman like this you always need a mandatory alternate copy where she is fully nude
>>
characters for me. Im a sucker. Never been able to drop x-men.
>>
In order of importance:

Artist
Characters
Writers
Other (Sexual Attractiveness of Characters)
Genre

Though Other kind of goes hand in hand with Artist because I'm not really a fan of any artist that draws in an ugly way.
>>
Following artists is really great. I never really get attached to any characters so it's fun to follow my favorite artists and experience all the variety of genres and characters.
>>
>>77539186
I wish Sara was my waifu
>>
The first two.
>>
File: 4707850-hellboy.jpg (921 KB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
4707850-hellboy.jpg
921 KB, 1920x1920
>>77539186

Genre
Artist
Writer
Characters
Other (General Coherency between Writing and Art)
>>
>>77539186
The cover.
>>
character
writer
artist
>being a spidey fan is suffering, and yet i still read.
>>
Writer
Character
Other (importance to general mythos)
Genre
Artist
>>
>>77539186

1. writers
2. reviews
3. characters
4. genre
5. artists
>>
Artist
Character
Genre
Other (Critically Acclaimed even though I usually don't agree)
Writing
>>
If I like a writer, I'm likely to try other comics they've written.

If I like a character, I'm likely to check out comics they've appeared in or runs they've had.

Sometimes I pick up a comic I've never heard of just because of the cover.

There have been times where I'd pick something up purely because I wanted to check out a genre.

I like artists, but it's rare that I'll pick up a comic just because an artist I like worked on it.
>>
>>77539767

I had to drop spider-man. One More day, ultimatum, spectacular spider-man cancelled. It was just too much.
>>
>>77539826
>>77539767

I think I've become so addicted to Spidey that I somehow enjoy everything related to the character even when it's shit.
>>
>>77539957
i enjoyed spider-verse right up until maydays shit, then all i could think was 'dear god no, why couldnt you just leave her the fuck alone?'
>>
Artist
Writer
Genre
Character
>>
Writer
Character
Artist
Genre

In that order

I won't read a shitty run with a character I like just because they're in it the line exception being Green Lantern
>>
Cartoonist. If it's something made by more than one person then I account for how they work together rather than their individual bodies of work.
>>
Artists are without a doubt the biggest draw to a comic for me.
I suppose this would fall under other, but I'll pick up a comic that uses unique storytelling techniques.
Then I would say genre/plot/concept are tied pretty closely on my list with writers.
Specifically following a character I can do without, but I am a bit of a hypocrite as I am a sucker for the Batfamily.
>>
Characters mostly, though some writers' names are green or red flags.
>>
>>77539186
1. Writers
2. Artists
4. Genre
3. Characters

There we go.
>>
>>77539186
I generally go by artist, followed by genre (I prefer crime, sci-fi, espionage/political thriller, and the occasional horror comic) and writer in equal importance.

The thing is, even my favorite comics writers largely pale in comparison in terms of talent and technical ability against my favorite prose writers. I know its an unfair and outdated stereotype, but—with a number of exceptions like Greg Rucka, David Lapham, Max Allan Collins, and Peter David—a lot of past and current comics come off as being written by people who are lacking in either experience or technical grounding, something which I can't say for my favorite comics artists.
>>
Writer, but if I dislike the art to much I'll skip the story over even if it has a good story
>>
>>77541143
>tfw someone posts your exact opinion before you do
>>
>>77541143
>by people who are lacking in either experience or technical grounding
Too many comic book writers feel like they've only ever read comics
>>
None comics are for normies senpai
>>
>>77539186
Writer
Artist
Tone

that's pretty much it
>>
I really only care if there are hot chicks in it

sadly that trend has been going down lately
>>
File: 1251796462402.jpg (1 MB, 991x1200) Image search: [Google]
1251796462402.jpg
1 MB, 991x1200
>>77539186
>5. Other (explain)
Fetish featured.
Duh. Obviously.
>>
>>77539186
Cover or writer.
Then I read them.
And if I like it I buy.
>>
>>77539186
Characters -> Writers -> Artists -> I only read capeshit anyway

There's little things I read for the art, and I can bear most artstyle. I'll hate them but still continue reading.
>>
File: burden-1cvr.jpg (303 KB, 900x1325) Image search: [Google]
burden-1cvr.jpg
303 KB, 900x1325
>>77539186

1. Other: Premise. If I like the initial idea of a comic/series I'm much more likely to read it.
2. Other: Level of recognition. If I've heard good things/reviews about a series I'm much more likely to read it.
3. Other: Artstyle/Tone
4. "Genre" - Not the comic genre itself, but the genre of the story.
5. A three way tie between characters, artists, and writers. While I'm more likely to try something done by a writer/artist I know or a character I like, reading a comic series for that alone is the equivalent of someone going to see a movie just because of (insert actor X here).

Pic related is a perfect example.

And I ALWAYS read before buying.
>>
I'd say writers, characters equally and then the art and then idea. I have some writers whose work I'd consider atleast a must read. The characters I grew up with or like, mostly DC characters, I consider must read, even for mediocre stories of them. Art and idea, I can read with mediocre stories and writing, but would definitely skip if it isn't readable.
>>
1. Writer
2. Artist
3. Genre
4. Characters
>>
>>77539186
1. Art
2. Writing
3. Importance to the medium

Anyone who has character or genre above art or writing is a pleb.
>>
Writers.
Anything else is irrelevant.
>>
>>77546085
So why don't you just read plain old books, if art isn't worth shit?
>>
>>77546114
>LE COMIC ARE VISUAL MEDIUM MEME XDD
>LE ART IS MORE IMPORTANT XDDD
So, why don't you just fuck off with your stale meme, faggot?\
Good writing + bad art is still a good book, bad writing + good art is garbage. Now fuck off.
>>
File: tryforce.jpg (118 KB, 430x295) Image search: [Google]
tryforce.jpg
118 KB, 430x295
>>77546128
Jesus Christ, I'm still going to call you a fucking retard, but you really took that personally. Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>77546175
The only retard here is you.
>any opinion I disagree with is shitposting
How about you kill yourself?
>>
>>77546195
>someone disagrees with you
>immediately says they they're going straight into "memes" deteriorating into "LE LE" and "XDDD".
You're making yourself look like a fool while also attempting to make yourself out as the better man.
The only thing that makes this better is that the actual guy you're talking to has probably left.
>>
>>77546312
Your response was shit-quality and mine is shit-quality. All is fair. Don't pretend you're not as much of a fool for pulling the idiotic "i-if writing matters that much, w-why don't you read books?" bait.
>actual guy you're talking to
Nice samefag.
>>
>>77539186
quality....
>>
File: olly's organix.png (16 KB, 305x284) Image search: [Google]
olly's organix.png
16 KB, 305x284
Artist but if the writer is complete trash then I probably won't continue to read.

I'll stomach sub par writing for cool art over sub par art for good writing.
>>
>>77539186
Artists and characters. My personal /co/ wet dream would be Green Lantern Corps illustrated by Amanda Conner or Amy Hadley.
>>
I follow specific artists and writers more than characters, i will not suffer through a badly written and drawn spiderman or xmen story just for the character, its not worth it

its hard to say which is more important but I think I would put writing first, I am more willing to pick up what sounds like an interesting story rather than a book drawn by a certain person
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.