[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
seriously /co/ why do you even buy comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
seriously /co/ why do you even buy comics?
>>
>>77510347

One of the only few times I ever buy comics is when I go to cons and find those 25 cent to a dollar bins the shops bring.
>>
File: 1446539286962.gif (2 MB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
1446539286962.gif
2 MB, 250x194
Because it makes me feel american, same reason I watch pro-wrestling. I wish I could also grow to enjoy american sports, but football is too ingrained and MLS is shit.
>>
>>77510347
>what is helping the industry
>>
File: HE GOT A GUN.jpg (56 KB, 500x219) Image search: [Google]
HE GOT A GUN.jpg
56 KB, 500x219
>>77510347
if the trade is good i'll buy it.if we dont show to compagnies what we want they go after the tumblr audience.
>>
Only trades, since they're usually contained stories or arcs.

Fuck the industry for still pushing floppy singles.
>>
>>77510347

Because drugs are expensive and I get to keep them after I read them.
>>
I buy trades if I like the run to support the artist and writer, to make sure the book continues and to make sure they don't change the book to try to pander to new readers.
>>
>>77510481
>>77510677

i find it weird when you guys say you buy them to support the creators. it sounds like your just making donations to them.

i want to know the REAL reason you buy them and let them take up space in your room. Is it to be able to re-read them at random times? is it so you actually use it for art reference? do you actually use it? or do they really just sit there?
>>
>>77510822

I like collecting those things. I like buying the issues with the stories I like and re-read them. I want to make a collection worthy enough of owning and to leave it to my kids when I die.
>>
>>77510347
to piss you off, apparently

>>77510677
bro, trades don't determine the life of a series, oftentimes the trade is released after the fact
the only numbers companies pay attention to are how many copies comic shops are ordering
>>
File: dis gon b good.jpg (237 KB, 1280x1968) Image search: [Google]
dis gon b good.jpg
237 KB, 1280x1968
>>77510822
well because i like the book that much
goddamit just put the god killer saga in one book already
>>
>>77510347
There is not a damn thing worth buying, so I don't.

>>77510481
Fuck the industry. It's a clusterfuck of bad ideas by manchildren, for manchildren.
>>
>>77510822
Of course I reread them. I only buy physical copies of stuff I'm gonna go back and reread. Like I have Morrison's entire run and it cost me close to $400 in total but it was totally worth it.

Also you are supporting them because if their works sell they will get more work.

>>77510889
Trades determine if the writer gets work again not necessarily if the ongoing continues.
>>
>>77510347
It makes sleeping with hipster girls a lot more easy.
>>
>>77510997

How many books is it? 3 issues in one book, the rest on the next one?
>>
>>77510887

sorry anon, your children will probably end up liking manga exclusively like my son and daughter have. they might give gotham academy a shot though.
>>
>>77510347
I enjoy reading and collecting them.
>>
>>77511111
You've condemned that dudes kids to like anime. Shame on you.
>>
>>77510347
I pirate everything and buy trades if I like it enough.
I assumed everyone did this.
>>
>>77511049
>not helping european comics

wew lad
>>
>>77511111

Wasting a number like that for weeaboo things. I don't even want to know what kind of kids you'll raise. Probably the kind with the weird painted hair, making a half naked cosplay and be "OMG I WANT TO GO TO JAPAN SUGOI DESU".
>>
File: 1435466233753.jpg (48 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1435466233753.jpg
48 KB, 500x377
A lot of reasons, most of them boiling down the fact that they give me entertainment.

Do you not buy things that entertain you, OP?
Do you live some weird minimalist lifestyle where the only things you own are a change of clothes, food, shelter, and transportation?
>>
>>77511184
Fuck Europe. There's nothing worth buying from there either.
>>
>>77511100
all i know is that its 2 trade and i dont feel like buying 2 trades even if its for norse dbz.
>>
>>77511538

My family was poor growing up so...
I think I was raised to never spend money on something that wasn't really mandatory stuff.
Entertainment is available for free all over the internets, so I get curious what paying for the actual item that takes up space in your room really has to offer.
>>
File: ONE OF US approve.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ONE OF US approve.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>77511167
>I pirate everything and buy trades if I like it enough.
have a seat over there
>>
File: 1446429230576.jpg (96 KB, 600x518) Image search: [Google]
1446429230576.jpg
96 KB, 600x518
Buy? You are telling me there's people that actually pay to read them?
>>
>>77511688
It's been collected in one trade for awhile fuckboi. Look on Amazon
>>
I stopped buying comics a while ago.

At this point, I refuse to pay more than $2 for a single issue. My buying rate is maximum $1 per ten pages of actual content. If a comic exceeds it (i.e. more than $1 for ten pages), there's no point buying.

Trades are the only things that fulfill that ratio. And even then, for the same price, you get a better experience out of a regular book than you do out of a comic -- all because of decompression. Every time I've bought a comic or a trade paperback and then read it to completion, there's been a voice in the back of my mind saying, "This wasn't worth the money." I've *never* felt that way about regular books. Even with an arguably worse use of money -- going to the theater to watch a movie -- I rarely, if ever, feel like I was cheated out of money. But I always feel that way paying for comics.

Honestly, as much as I like the *idea* of comics, the reality of the industry is pretty awful. At best, I tolerate what's released now, and for the comics at the top of that tolerated list, I pirate them. If the whole industry died, I can't imagine I'd be sad or guilty.
>>
File: 1447606368543.png (60 KB, 152x295) Image search: [Google]
1447606368543.png
60 KB, 152x295
>>77510347
It's a strange paradox.
>If I buy floppies:
I support a dead distribution method that seems to destroy indies while encouraging events, editorial interference, constant re-numbering, and generally supporting mediocre story-telling that focuses on just going from issue to issue instead of a larger story. Plus, it's fucking expensive.

>If I buy trades:
Books that I do like will get cancelled by trade-waiting because floppy sales will be low. Plus, you are unable to support the creators since the trade comes out only once every six months, if you're lucky, and most of the book's cost is eaten up elsewhere. Despite still buying the comics you like as trade it somehow still doesn't help, even though most comics are written FOR trades.

>If you just pirate:
You hurt the creators of the things you do like. But you do help cause the death of an industry.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.