[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was it that said the best Superman stories don't have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: 10212767.jpg (40 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
10212767.jpg
40 KB, 314x475
Who was it that said the best Superman stories don't have Superman in them?

Let's have a thread celebrating those kinds of stories. Good ol' off-brand Superman.
>>
File: 83c.jpg (100 KB, 425x726) Image search: [Google]
83c.jpg
100 KB, 425x726
Best Superman coming through.
>>
File: 3860695-4814626701-shaza.jpg (320 KB, 900x1402) Image search: [Google]
3860695-4814626701-shaza.jpg
320 KB, 900x1402
>>77508496
But that's not Captain Marvel (or Shazam), anon.
>>
File: Supreme.png (289 KB, 400x476) Image search: [Google]
Supreme.png
289 KB, 400x476
Get on my level.
>>
>>77508496
Palette Swap Man!

With the combined powers of at least three Mortal Kombat ninjas...and maybe a Shoryuken!
>>
Man this comic started off so moody and serious, and it ended up like The Venture Brothers with gay robots and green aliens.
Like, literally.
>>
Superior is fucking Holy Terror-tier shit.

>>77508799
I didn't know anything about this comic before your post and now I really want to read it.
>>
>>77508885
>Superior is fucking Holy Terror-tier shit.
>>
File: utopian-young-be5b6[1].jpg (18 KB, 270x410) Image search: [Google]
utopian-young-be5b6[1].jpg
18 KB, 270x410
beep, beep outta my way!
>>
File: nah nigga.png (336 KB, 406x356) Image search: [Google]
nah nigga.png
336 KB, 406x356
>>77508885
>Superior is fucking Holy Terror-tier shit
>The man with no taste
>>
File: vt4aYPY.jpg (459 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
vt4aYPY.jpg
459 KB, 1440x900
>>77508885
Even if you don't read the whole overcomplicated saga that drags on for way too long...
This is not really a spoiler, it's like page 2 of the first volume, and it's great.
>>
>>77509008
Incorruptible is better
>>
>>77508885

The comic is pretty much follows The Plutonian?(I can't remember if that was his name) and his friends. Pretty much they got a Justice League type thing going. Everything is cool and all, and you got an array of different types of superheroes. Plutonian is like Superman, there is one dude is super smart, in terms of brains people might compare him to a Batman-esque tike character. Then a couple of others. Pretty much you follow The Plutonian's decent into anger and frustration at the world, and you learn about how his friends had made deals with dangerous entities and agreed to very questionable and morally wrong acts to ensure that if the Plutonian ever did snap, that there would be some way to subdue him. He goes on a killing rampage, and you learn about how the Plutonian's powers actually work.

Essentially what happens when someone like Superman stops being one of the good guys. Who can stop him? How long have people been thinking about stopping him? What lengths do people go in order to ensure they have a plan to keep this man in check? That sort of thing.
>>
>>77508901
>>77508981
Wait I actually confused Superior with Nemesis, I'm a retard.

I've never read Superior but always assumed it would just be "if Superman were real he would be edgy!" like all of Millar's shit but I looked up a synopsis and it actually looks like an interesting unique story.
>>
File: Superman_Secret-Identity_Art2.jpg (210 KB, 576x1002) Image search: [Google]
Superman_Secret-Identity_Art2.jpg
210 KB, 576x1002
Favorite Superman comic, and I don't usually read Superman.
>>
>>77509061
>I've never read Superior but always assumed it would just be "if Superman were real he would be edgy!" like all of Millar's shit but I looked up a synopsis and it actually looks like an interesting unique story.

It's fantastic.
It was really the start of Millar going back to being lighthearted
>>
>>77509061
It's terrific, give it a chance one day
>>
>>77509034
Really?
I was curious about it but I never got around to it.
Can you convince me that it's good? Either with a panel, or a quote, or just describing something nice about it?

>>77509037
That's the whole premise, what you're not telling him is that it ends up taking a whole different direction. At some point they get tired of the Plutonian killing people and they just change the setting completely, where he basically becomes just a muscular guy with a cape that occasionally remembers he's evil.
In the finale he's back to killing good guys in the original setting, but the whole arc makes little sense and doesn't really give you that sense of EVIL SUPERMAN, that whole apocalyptic scenario is completely explored by the end of the first part, then we get a bunch of wacky shit and adventures, then resolution. Bah. I don't know. It was a bit disappointing. I really didn't care for the bunch of weird characters they introduced. It should have been about SUPER-GUY ENRAGED and THE WORLD TERRIFIED, those should have been the two main actors, and we get a whole bunch of other stuff gunking it all up.
>>
>>77509271
The character arc for Max Damage is way less cluttered, and while it hardly ever gets as exciting as Irredeemable, there's a longer stretch of internal quality consistency.

And to be honest, I felt like Irredeemable lost it's way about 3/4ths way through.
>>
>>77509295
It's enough for me to give it a try, thanks.
>>
>>77509082
How's Millar been lately? I heard Jupiter's Circle was really good but I just instinctively avoid anything Millar related since Kick-Ass 2. I've been assuming he was a hack but if he's really putting out good stuff now I need to reconsider.

>>77509271
Personally I'm pretty tired of "Superman goes evil" stories and it's interesting to me Waid would do one after Tower of Babel was for all intents and purposes a condemnation of that kind of story, at least that's what I got from it.

An "evil Superman" story that goes totally off the rails sounds more interesting to me.
>>
>>77509427
Other than Kick-Ass 2, the only shit thing he's done was Chrononauts, and that was because there was no story whatsofuckingever.

Even Kick-Ass 3 was fun.
>>
File: 1231166-sentry[1].jpg (36 KB, 422x640) Image search: [Google]
1231166-sentry[1].jpg
36 KB, 422x640
He draws from more golden age heroes than just superman, but Superman is the most obvious comparison.
>>
>>77509427
Jupiter's legacy and circle have next to no edge and are really fun IMO. Plus I mean based hutch steals the show in both books what's not to love?
>>
>>77509924
Actually I liked Sentry for not being Superman despite all the mythos and "universe impact".

Superman always finds away.
So does the Sentry, but his way is removing himself from existence.
>>
Bumpy
>>
>>77509070
Favorite Superman comic it even has Indian Lois
>>
>>77508799
The only good thing to come out of irredeemable was incorruptible
>>
>>77510359
It's not perfect, but I do really love that first mini.
>>
>>77509082
>>77509093
Ending is kinda shit. I mean, it ends well but the plotline of the wish and the soul felt really weird.
Still enjoyed it.
>>
>>77509449
Chrononauts is saved by the art, though. It's a joy to read. The story is not good and clearly a movie pitch but it's not Nemesis.
>>
>>77512703
>it's a joy to look at
FTFY

It's absolutely painful to read
>>
>>77512709
Silly anon; you don't look at comics, you read comics even if there's no words on them. You look at still images, but a sequential composition is always read.
>>
>>77509427
>Jupiter's Circle & Legacy
All about dem feels.
>>
>>77512759
I have people ask me if I'm actually reading the comic when they see me skipping lots of dialogue bubbles. I then explain visual storytelling to them.
>>
>>77512966
Somebody ought to explain to you that comic books are full pieces and you cannot divorce the text from the art when considering its worth.
>>
>>77508334
I don't know but sounds like a fucking retard.
>>
>>77513718
When I notice dialogue isn't actually contributing anything to the story or entertaining, I skip it.
>>
>>77513937
I get that. You're still not reading the book. You are reading parts of the book.

Imagine watching a movie on mute.
>>
File: 0014.jpg (1 MB, 1523x2343) Image search: [Google]
0014.jpg
1 MB, 1523x2343
>>77510282
>Jupiter's legacy and circle have next to no edge
what about this part?
>>
>>77514065
That was just dramatic
>>
I don't have any images handy, but has anyone here read Mister Majestic's series? I know he's pretty redundant with all the flying bricks DC has now, but I still want to see him show up and interact with Superman again.
>>
>>77514051
Lots of dialogue in comic books can be superfluous and unnecessary, depending on how the art is depicted. I don't know what books anon's been reading, but it's entirely possible you can get a full experience skipping some text.
>>
File: zodermang.jpg (27 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
zodermang.jpg
27 KB, 1024x575
Does this count?
>>
>>77509061

Yeah, no, man. I like Millar's over-the-top edgy craziness on a Nextwave-y sort of level, but this is definitely not that. Superior is some really heartwarming, uplifting stuff.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.