[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Maxx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 37
File: 1awzSao.jpg (315 KB, 1000x1047) Image search: [Google]
1awzSao.jpg
315 KB, 1000x1047
I want to fully read this comic, BUT

The way some people online worded what they took away from the story sounds kinda like the male author, through Julie's characterization and backstory, is telling you "if you are a woman who generally dislikes feminism you are a poor brainwashed victim; you're either self-hating and blame yourself for everything and refuse to admit any kind of misogyny might exist in society, OR you fully embrace feminist doctrine and patriarchy theory and identify as feminist". I'd much rather read something where a character's experiences with being raped are not (among other things) used as a tool to promote a specific ideology and dismiss its critics and, instead, one where where characters debate ideologies by just being... characters. Not being judged by the author.

I think the paneling and art of this comic are amazing and from what I read of it and watched of the show it has a fantastic sense of atmosphere, but if this was not just internet Tumblr-type kids projecting their own politics over a work and that type of condescending message is what Sam Kieth was really getting at then it would probably just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

So yeah. Are those online comments right or wrong?
>>
File: Maxx 18 17.jpg (355 KB, 957x1479) Image search: [Google]
Maxx 18 17.jpg
355 KB, 957x1479
For the record I don't WANT that to be the case but I'm in a pretty bad mood and if I dedicated myself to something that DID turn out to have such annoying preachy ideas, it would probably just make me feel worse. Especially since the visual execution is so fucking good.

I do not care about spoilers by the way.
>>
File: 1441722032828.jpg (51 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1441722032828.jpg
51 KB, 392x500
>>
>>77475716
Honestly fucking kill yourself if you do or do not read things based on internet comments.
You are a fucking loser who can't form their own opinions
>>
File: tumblr lol.jpg (53 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
tumblr lol.jpg
53 KB, 640x960
Sup Tumblr. Why don't you read it and drop it if you don't like it?
>>
dude just fuckin read it and come up with your own opinions
>>
>>77475768
see
>>77475731

I'm asking because I'm in no mood to read something that preachy, it would just make me feel annoyed and sad that such good art is being wasted
>>
>>77475772
I already explained why >>77475731
>>
>>77475716
Pathetic. You are the cancer that's killing comics.
>>
>>77475792
why
>>
File: HumanGarbage.png (224 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
HumanGarbage.png
224 KB, 400x397
>>77475747
>>77475768
Not OP - sorry I can't give you an opinion on the book man. But holy fuck. God forbid someone wants to discuss comics on /co/
>>
File: Maxx 18 00.jpg (334 KB, 957x1489) Image search: [Google]
Maxx 18 00.jpg
334 KB, 957x1489
I'm not sure why what I said triggered you faggots so much. I've used this board since it was added and I did not expect people to shit blood at what I said in the OP.

Yeah of course it's preferable to read something and decide for yourself; it's what I normally do. It's just, I'm just not at all in the mood for a specific kind of experience right now so I'm asking whether it is that kind of experience or not.
>>
>>77475834
so bc youre in a bad mood, you dont feel like putting the work in and want us to do it for you?

get back to your college studies
>>
File: nope.png (418 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
418 KB, 720x480
>>77475829

>Is this series going to offend my sensibilities?
>comics discussion
>>
>>77475834
Because you're a bitch-ass faggot that gets triggered by different viewpoints.
>>
>>77475782
Again, fuck off, if you can't form your own opinions, you're a huge loser.
>>
>>77475829
>bitching about a comic you haven't read
>discussion
Fuck off
>>
>>77475863
Yes. Asking for opinions about what something is like before reading/watching something is not unheard of.
>>
>>77475834
>literally wants a trigger warning
>calls other people triggered
>>
>>77475872
>>77475863
I'm not "triggered by different viewpoints", I've experienced these viewpoints hundreds of fucking times long after I seriously considered their ups and downs and decided for myself whether they have validity or not. They're so old and trite that I'm completely sick of seeing them and don't want to encounter them again for the 99999999th time.

All I can take away from your retarded fucking reactions so far is that I was spot on and the comic is exactly what I feared it would be, and you're mad that someone might dislike that.
>>
File: internet.gif (52 KB, 488x267) Image search: [Google]
internet.gif
52 KB, 488x267
>>77475881
They were just sounding out why they heard something might stop them enjoying something.

Why all the rage, anon?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>77475716
Can't you fucking read the comic and THEN try to understand what it means?

Do you need everything to be pre-approved and safe before reading it?

That's what SHOULD be th beauty of reading, you don't know what the author is going to tell you... until you read it.

Or else you wouldn't be reading because you already knew.

>/co/ can you tell me if this materal contains ideas that might be offensive to me?
>Can you pre-read it for me?

Jesus shit.

Tumblr culture is even more annoying when it's rooted in the head of anti-Tumblrites.
>>
>>77475883
OP is being a faggot and deserves to be treated as such.
>I'm scared of women so tell me if this comic doesn't shit on them because I won't read it if it doesn't
What a cock.
>>
>>77475889
see
>>77475900

There's a difference between wanting a trigger warning and not wanting to bother with something that has a condescending message that you've deal with countless fucking times in the past and are sick of. Sometimes I read things to wind down and not for the e-penis points of gaining "comic book experience".
>>77475881
How am I "bitching" about it, I'm just asking if some online summaries I've read are correct or not. I don't want them to be correct because I want to enjoy this.
>>
>>77475910
Do you act this retarded when someone asks you for your opinion in real life?

>Do you like this film anon? I haven't heard good things about it and wandered if it was worth giving a go.
>Fuck off you shit with your tumbler bullcrap.
>>
>>77475910
>>77475900

I hate libertarian fedoras reading but I've read all of Road to Serfdom and a bunch of Heinlein.

Why are you being such a pussy that you need our approval to read a goofy 90's book?
>>
File: new york times tumblr cookies.png (346 KB, 757x1134) Image search: [Google]
new york times tumblr cookies.png
346 KB, 757x1134
>>77475910
>>
File: 1431212667020.jpg (19 KB, 243x237) Image search: [Google]
1431212667020.jpg
19 KB, 243x237
>>77475921
Then the problem is the fact that you guys don't agree with his opinions.

So the OP is completely right. That is why you're all acting like morons.

Why couldn't you all just say that it doesn't sound like it would be their thing rather than getting so ass-blasted?
>>
>>77475768
/thread
>>
>>77475921
>>I'm scared of women so tell me if this comic doesn't shit on them because I won't read it if it doesn't
Holy SHIT, *this* is what you drooling retards got out of my OP? Questioning the idea that reality is made up of "good, moral feminists and bad self-hating or immoral non-feminist" means hating women now?

Is this just one idiot, or is this actually what is making most of you so goddamned butthurt? Is /co/ really that far gone?
>>
>>77475937
Just read something safer OP, read Invincible or Supreme or something.
>>
File: smug palpatine.jpg (189 KB, 1529x1200) Image search: [Google]
smug palpatine.jpg
189 KB, 1529x1200
>>77475985

Read Lost Girls. It's good clean fun with Alice in Wonderland.
>>
>>77475941
He didn't ask for an opinion he asked if he might be triggered by the feminist ideals in the comic which is retarded
>>
>>77475958
I've never read the comic but holding this as a reason to read a comic is retarded
>>
>>77476005
Reading it again - doesn't seem to be arguing for or against feminist doctrine - just poorly developed characterisation and an issue of an author stood on a soapbox.

Seems to be a discussion of the quality of characterisation rather than the politics behind them.

Again - I've not read the book so can't contribute - but I don't get why everyone's jumping down anon's throat.
>>
>>77475978
The problem is that you're accusing the Maxx of something it's not.
>>
>>77476005

I want to see him read Cerebus. Including the part with the Pope and Jaka.
>>
>>77475978
OP you made a retarded post people are gonna shitpost in it.
>>
File: Maxx 18 15.jpg (507 KB, 957x1497) Image search: [Google]
Maxx 18 15.jpg
507 KB, 957x1497
Holy fucking shit you blithering morons. You're accusing me of being a triggered baby and yet you're all strawmanning the FUCK out of me as some woman-hating mra pua brony redditor for disagreeing with a specific worldview and wanting to escape from it for if even a short period of time.

If you really want to know what type of person i am, here's the truth: I fucking hate the idea of shielding yourself away from ideas that might make you uncomfortable. To combat this, I go out of my fucking way to read shit that I know will make me deeply uncomfortable, from radical feminist research papers to far-right, homophobic or "race realist" screeds. I take this to extreme levels to the point where I've obsessively read research stating that my sexual orientation is a lie and not real and then spent months hating myself over it. I feel that this is nonetheless worth it because it's healthy to get your viewpoints from a wide variety of sources and understand the very human sources that even your ideological opponents take their philosophies from.

AND YET, you know... sometimes, SOMETIMES someone might want to wind the fuck down from that. Sometimes you just want to read something that won't try to shove down your throat an idea you've already entertained hundreds of times in the past.
>>
>>77475716
Pop quiz /co/.

Not OP. Just checking.

Say I was easily offended by books that were widely considered sexist or misogynistic. I don't know whether it is or not but I've heard people discussing it like that.

I come on /co/ and ask because I reckon someone might know if it is to my tastes.

What happens?
>>
>>77476069

We would call you a massive homosexual and tell you to read what you want instead of whining about it.
>>
File: 1420464386198.jpg (20 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1420464386198.jpg
20 KB, 420x300
>>77475900
>All I can take away from your retarded fucking reactions so far is that I was spot on and the comic is exactly what I feared it would be, and you're mad that someone might dislike that.
this desu senpaitachi
>>
File: DumbPlace.jpg (18 KB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
DumbPlace.jpg
18 KB, 230x250
>>77476068
Hey OP.
I've spent multiple posts defending you but you've not once actually acknowledged the fact that not all of /co/ has been shitting on you.

Now you're beginning to sound a bit crazy and I'm going to back off. I suggest you get the fuck off 4chan and go have a long mother-fucking bath or something. It's not worth this at all.
>>
>>77476069
Very similar situation most likely. If you ask for any opinion on the content as a reason to read a book you will rightfully be called retarded
>>
>>77476029
This, also.
>>
>>77476101
Hahaha you want a fucking cookie or something faggot?
>>
>>77476041
I actually do want to read that, just... once again, not now.
>>77476036
Except I'm not "accusing" it of anything. I just read some comments about what it's "really about" and I want to know if those people are projecting or not.

Can't you read?
>>
File: HappyPiggy.jpg (105 KB, 560x451) Image search: [Google]
HappyPiggy.jpg
105 KB, 560x451
>>77476092
I will very much keep that in mind.

Thanks pal!

Here OP. Have a happy piggie.
>>
File: hold the fuck up.png (105 KB, 326x248) Image search: [Google]
hold the fuck up.png
105 KB, 326x248
>>77475921
Whelp, SOMEBODY in this thread is Tumblr and it sure as shit isn't OP.
>>
>>77476110
Man, I would love a cookie!

I dunno, I just get irritated when someone is screaming at a forum like it's one person when there are clearly people trying to work out what is going on.
>>
File: Cerebus the Aardvark.jpg (166 KB, 1345x864) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus the Aardvark.jpg
166 KB, 1345x864
>>77476069
I tell you to quit procrastinating and to go read Dave Sim's Cerebus the Aardvark.

It's one of the most important and influential comics of all time, so anybody that hasn't read it is a coward and a casual.

Even though the author is a diagnosed schizophrenic who hates women, children, homosexuals, animals, and everyone on the planet other than himself.
>>
File: 1443721657375.png (389 KB, 483x482) Image search: [Google]
1443721657375.png
389 KB, 483x482
>>77476068
>>
>>77476068
Then you picked the wrong board to ask, as /co/ is currently locked in a contest to see who can make the sickest post about horseshoe theory shit; it's quip first, ask questions later.

The fact that most posters couldn't even pick up on what you wanted before they went in on you is proof enough that general reading comprehension has taken a hit on this board. If it hadn't, more people would have ripped on you in a more specific way, like telling you to fuck off to the TV show if you "can't form your own opinions" from a comic.
>>
>>77476101
Jesus christ, you're a bigger faggot than OP. Go scratch your own belly.
>>
>>77476141
I get that but sometimes you want to read something a little more your speed.

I really do have to get around to Cerberus sometime soon.
>>
>>77476153
>it's quip first as questions later
my god you are a faggot
>>
>>77475716
>So yeah. Are those online comments right or wrong?
Wrong, but if you are that easy to influentiate you might start seeing things that aren't there just like all these internet kids. Looking for reasons to be upset.
>>
>>77476141
>influential
Mehhhhh...
>>
File: co.png (239 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
co.png
239 KB, 500x377
>>77476174
>>77476162
I'm a faggot - he's a faggot - OP's a faggot.

We're all faggots!

welcome to co
>>
>>77476192
Holy fuck an actual answer to OP's question.
>>
>>77476112
I did read your post, it just felt that you would rather listen to people with their own agenda than reading the comic and letting it speak for itself.
>>
File: photo-original.jpg (315 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
315 KB, 1536x1152
>>77476101
Okay, sorry for not responding to your posts. It's just that I'd rather have addressed the general reaction to this thread vs the outliers. From what I read so far of this thread only two people don't think I'm a piece of shit for asking a question.
>>77476069
>>77476092
>>77476102
So you'd all react similarly to a woman not being in the right emotional state to read Cerebus, a comic that has really blatantly misogynist views? For fuck's sake, guys there's a colossal difference between saying something is artistically voided by views you disagree with and simply not wanting to bother with entertainment that pushes a doctrine they've already considered countless times before and have had enough of.

I guess you're not lunatic SJWs; you're just so fucking obsessed with rallying against "trigger culture" that you're butthurt that someone might want to take occasional breaks from reading uncomfortable things.

This isn't even "challenging"; the idea that women who are wary about feminism are self-hating uncle toms who were brainwashed by the patriarchy is common as fuck. I've considered it, I disagree with it, it annoys me that people think that way. I don't want it in my escapism right now.

The same shit applies to women who might not want to read a comic that contains an entire issue that's nothing but a wall of text about how much women suck. I hate "trigger culture" but why the fuck would I think lesser of a woman for not being in the mood to read that? Should all black people read KKK propaganda all day because otherwise they're triggered safe space babies? What the fuck is this shit?
>>
I've never read the book, just watched the show, but I believe there's a good chance those comments you're referring to are bullshit, because I've heard a lot of things about the book, both good and bad, but none of them were about the author using it as a soapbox to spread their feminist message. In my experience, the thing people tend to dislike the most about the comic is how it has no satisfying ending, and how it should've just stopped at the point the show did, but again, that's just what I've heard.

The thing is, though, that the comic deals with rape and other shitty things. You know that. And if you can deal with that sort of thing, you should be able to deal with whatever message may or may not be attached to the story, because honestly, stories that deal with shit like this often come with a message attached, and the more controversial the subject matter, the more polarising the message tends to be.

So, unless you're suicidal, and in fear that the author's opinions may cause you to jump in front of a train, I'd say just give it a try and see where it goes.
>>
>>77476201
This, Cerebus has a lot of shit that should be influential, but unfortunately most of it didn't catch on.
>>
>>77476174
>my god you are a faggot
said the dumbfuck that can't even greentext properly
>>
>>77476226
>Cerebus has blatantly misogynist views
fuck off and actually read Cerebus cunt
>>
>>77476201
>>77476256
Cerebus is the comic which proved that publishing comics independently of the major publishers (and even self-publishing your comics) is a viable and sustainable business model for decades upon decades.

The industry today would look HUGELY different if Cerebus hadn't proved that creators don't need to stick to big publishers like Marvel and DC in order to survive.
>>
>>77476289
I might be wrong, but from what I've seen it seems pretty fucking accurate. I have a friend who's pretty "anti-SJW" and is a huge fan of Cerebus and even agrees with some of the points it makes about feminism... but even he says the author had issues with women that are kind of... troubling and goes full retard at times.
>>
there are no attempts to push any sort of ideology in the maxx, the comic is entirely about the personal rather than the political

go read it(it's pretty great) and stop paying attention to retards on the internet
>>
>>77476226
If you don't want to be challenged and just 'wind down' then read something that obviously isn't going to do that and save the potentially triggering material for another day.

It's that simple.
>>
>>77476226

Sims goes from writing the most fully realized females in comics and dedicating entire issues to describing the ways men suppressed female will in the name of religion to jumping off the edge into crazy land.

It's utterly bizarre.
>>
>>77476226
The majority of Cerebus does not revolve around ideas that challenge liberals.

The majority of The Maxx does not revolve around ideas that challenge conservatives.

When reading them, you will occasionally encounter opinions which will challenge your opinions, but the majority of your time will just be spent reading good comics.

>>77476326
Quit being such a coward and just go find out for yourself.
>>
>>77475716
OP - yes, Julie has feminist leanings, but her ideology does get discussed. Also, because of how she practices feminism, she comes off as a tragic, even pathetic character at times. The series as a whole explores many facets of psychology and is a good read, at least until Julie leaves the city. It never felt very preachy to me though. Worth a read. Hope that answers your question.
>>
>>77476326
>I've never read the comic but will continue to speak like I did
Once again fuck off and actually read the comic
>>
>>77476241
Basically the stuff I read was saying that the only reason Julie dislikes popular feminist thought and instead thinks highly of people like Camille Paglia (who I'm personally 50/50 on regarding her views, I think some are good points and others are shit; I'm saying this is in case you're gonna shit blood about how I'm a mindless butthurt Paglia worshiper) is because she blames herself as a rape victim. Basically the age-old idea that "if you disagree with my philosophy you are just a poor misguided victim". It's not even a feminist thing; right-wingers do it too. I was basically asking for people's opinions on whether that reading is accurate or not.
>>
The MTV cartoon was good. No savage dragon or Calvin in it tho.
>>
File: falluchi.png (260 KB, 318x394) Image search: [Google]
falluchi.png
260 KB, 318x394
>>77476376
I dunno if what you're saying is even accurate from what I did read desu. see
>>77476407

>OP - yes, Julie has feminist leanings, but her ideology does get discussed. Also, because of how she practices feminism, she comes off as a tragic, even pathetic character at times.
Actually from what I read she basically worships Camille Paglia, who is a "feminist' in the same way that Christina Hoff Sommers is a "feminist" i.e. loathed by the majority of the feminist movement. And she constantly talks down on more traditional feminist figures, like right here.

I'm just asking if this is done as a kind of condescending "oh the poor, self-hating anti-feminist, she was raped and thinks it's her fault and that's the reason she disagrees with mainstream feminism!"; I don't WANT it to be done that way. I WANT a comic where characters are characters and not tools to promote an ideology.
>>
>>77476415
I think the cartoon actually worked better than the comic in some instances. The bunny scene was was far more impactful in the show.
>>
>>77476458
>I WANT a comic where characters are characters

this is what the maxx is all about
>>
>>77476376
>>77476458
I'll probably read this eventually either way because the execution is amazing but now I'd just not be in the mood for something with such ideas. I was asking if it really is that way or if people were reading shit into it.

>ebin meme wordfilter is still up
gay
>>
>>77475716
>Not wanting to read a comic because of what some ideologues on the internet say about it

Christ OP, mellow down, The Maxx kicks ass
And while we're at it:
>>77476141
so does Cerebus the Aardvark
>>
>>77476458

I actually want to read this now. I feel like the 90's on a whole was much better than anything produced after 2000.

>>77476326

Read the fucking comic. Cerebus is often portrayed as an asshole as much as the other characters. No one is the voice of god, other than God.
>>
File: derp.jpg (29 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
derp.jpg
29 KB, 210x210
>>77476497
>No one is the voice of god, other than God.
And Rick.
>>
>>77476497
Dude, The Maxx is one of the best things to have to have come out of the 90's
>>
File: The Maxx 04-09.jpg (309 KB, 1000x1550) Image search: [Google]
The Maxx 04-09.jpg
309 KB, 1000x1550
>>77476482
AND THAT'S WHY I WAS ASKING FOR OPINIONS. If the online analysis was correct and Julie's non-mainstream, "false" feminist beliefs and criticism of what she sees as "victim culture" was simply a way of portraying her as "wrong because she's a self hating rape victim", the implication being that women that aren't broken love mainstream feminism, then that would have made the comic an unpleasant experience to me. It would still be constructive because I'd learn a lot from it about effective paneling and the art would definitely inspire me. but I'd just not be in the mood for that type of story RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean I want reality to be a safe space, it just means I want to temporarily chill out.

That's all I meant to say. I don't want comics to be a "safe space". I don't want things I disagree with to be censored. I just want to know what I'm getting into this one time for personal reasons.
>>
>>77476458
You are unbelievable
>I literally cannot believe that this comic isn't feminist propoganda and refuse to find out for myself
Kill yourself
>>
>>77476539
>I literally cannot believe that this comic isn't feminist propoganda and refuse to find out for myself
Why do you project headcanons over real humans
>>
>>77476572
Well then, go find out.

Go on.

We're waiting.
>>
File: george 2.jpg (393 KB, 1200x1825) Image search: [Google]
george 2.jpg
393 KB, 1200x1825
>>77476520

George is pretty cool, too
>>
File: out.jpg (31 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
31 KB, 640x640
>>77476572
>headcanons
>>
>>77476572
Dude you respond to anyone telling you it's not feminist bullshit with "Well actually that's not what I read on some website".
Go fuck yourself
>>
The Maxx can be taken a lot of ways, partially because the writer completely lost track of what he was doing about halfway in. The thing about most good books is you don't have to agree with the author or the characters and you don't necessarily know exactly what they believe.

If you seriously read some information about the book already and therefore know that it has a rapist as one of the main characters, you should know better than to think it's not just going to be "Fuck people who aren't Feminists: The Book", you dumbass.
>>
>>77476586
I'm not saying I "can't believe it" I'm just curious about people's opinions
>>
>>77476636
But he represents the wills of Terim and Tarim who are false false gods created by Aardvarkian magic, unlike the true false god YHWH and the true true god G-d.
>>
>>77476652
>it's not just
Meant for that to be "it's just"
>>
>>77476652
I never said the comic is "fuck people who aren't feminists" but once again it's much easier to strawman what someone else is saying vs actually address their real words. Yes, I know the comic has a rapist villain who is humanized in a lengthy flashback and is a rape victim himself.
>>77476651
It only seems that way because I'm defending my comments in the OP since you guys are strawmanning every statement I make.
>>
File: end of evangelion.jpg (286 KB, 981x1475) Image search: [Google]
end of evangelion.jpg
286 KB, 981x1475
>>77476662

What does the Flaming Carrot mean then?
>>
File: end of the world.jpg (281 KB, 971x1475) Image search: [Google]
end of the world.jpg
281 KB, 971x1475
>>77476699
>>
>>77476699
The Flaming Carrot represents the superiority of Creator Ownership and Self-Publishing, peace be upon them, may they reign supreme for millennia to come.
>>
File: Cerebus 082_00_fc.jpg (256 KB, 1000x1513) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus 082_00_fc.jpg
256 KB, 1000x1513
>>77476724

Alan Moore confirmed for god.
>>
>>77476677
>>77476652
>>77476651
Basically, I'd have addressed your points if you just chilled out and said "no, those people ARE reading their own politics into it, the comic doesn't take such a black-and-white stance on feminism, read it". Some anons did and I responded nicely to those.

Meanwhile a lot of you responded to your comments strawmanning everything I said like

>I'm scared of women so tell me if this comic doesn't shit on them because I won't read it if it doesn't

And then when I resoponded you proceeded to strawman THOSE comments too as me "refusing to believe that the comic is not propaganda". I wanted to be convinced that it's not, that's why I made this thread. But when that point is made in such a butthurt way that puts words I never said into my mouth then I'm not gonna respond in the nicest way possible.
>>
>>77476677
>It only seems that way because I'm defending my comments in the OP since you guys are strawmanning every statement I make.
You do it with reasonable comments too asshole. You are dug in with your ideas and you will never change.
>>
>>77476662
My headcanon was actually the oposite. That Terim and Tarim are the true deities of the world whie YHWH and God are a result of Cerebus reading the Torah
>>
>>77476771
Except I'm not. I was simply elaborating on the stuff I read into it in response to other people's interpretations for discussion purposes. I wasn't saying "no, you're wrong, these guys are right". You read it that way because you're in the mood for internet fights.
>>
File: Stormy.jpg (19 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
Stormy.jpg
19 KB, 210x240
>>77476525
>it's much easier to strawman what someone else is saying vs actually address their real words.

There's no way you're missing the irony here.
Surely you're more self-aware than that.
>>
>>77476790
Except I never strawmanned the comic, I asked a question about it.

Maybe I would have responded differently myself if people honestly asked me "are you implying this comic needs to be anti-feminist or else you won't read it" vs "lol you hate women faggot". I would have just nicely responded with a "no" and explained why.
>>
>>77476790

There's a black Stormy?
>>
>"if you are a woman who generally dislikes feminism you are a poor brainwashed victim; you're either self-hating and blame yourself for everything and refuse to admit any kind of misogyny might exist in society, OR you fully embrace feminist doctrine and patriarchy theory and identify as feminist".
This is not what happens. The Maxx is far too morally gray for such a basic dichotomy to even exist. NOTHING is black and white in this book except for the Izses.

> I'd much rather read something where a character's experiences with being raped are not (among other things) used as a tool to promote a specific ideology and dismiss its critics
The Maxx does not do this. At all.

> one where where characters debate ideologies by just being... characters. Not being judged by the author.
This is literally what The Maxx is, even outside the context of rape. The writer doesn't hold any malice or preference to any of his characters at all and seems to care for them all equally, to the point that it actually hurt the book at a few points.

>Are those online comments right or wrong?
They're wrong, in that they're literally the opposite of what the book is.

No one is judged by the narrative, only by other characters. Now that you've had the entire joy of reading and interpreting the book ruined for you, I hope you can be happy to know that The Maxx has the Correct(TM) opinions and will not offend you, so you can nod your head and smile while reading it and congratulate yourself and the book for being so smart and right instead of actually assessing it.
>>
>>77476901
OP BTFO
>>
>>77476885
No.
>>
>>77475716
Talk a long walk off a short cliff.

One person can have flaws and issues without representing all:

1. Feminists
2. Women
3. Rape victims
4. Social workers
5. et fucking cetra

Julie is not everyone in the world.
>>
File: The Maxx 04-00fc.jpg (327 KB, 1000x1527) Image search: [Google]
The Maxx 04-00fc.jpg
327 KB, 1000x1527
>>77476901
>>77476923
Serious question: do you guys REALLY believe that it's objectively wrong and horrible and 'safe space culture' to want to sometimes read something that *doesn't* contain a prevalent political belief that you've already given the time of day to and decided you dislike it?

Like really, what the fuck is this shit
>No one is judged by the narrative, only by other characters. Now that you've had the entire joy of reading and interpreting the book ruined for you, I hope you can be happy to know that The Maxx has the Correct(TM) opinions and will not offend you, so you can nod your head and smile while reading it and congratulate yourself and the book for being so smart and right instead of actually assessing it.
I already explained on length that I read lots of far-right and far-left philosophy that I know will make me uncomfortable. Sometimes I agree with parts of it, sometimes I disagree with it totally but I understand the people with those beliefs more as people and their reasons for thinking that way. It's just that it occasionally feels good to take a break from that.

Why is this so wrong?
>>
>>77476826
>Except I never strawmanned the comic

You seriously don't get the irony of
>it's much easier to strawman what someone else is saying vs actually address their real words.
when you are literally taking a simplified version of your impression of what other people think about the comic instead of just reading and interpreting the comic yourself.

I think The Maxx might be too complicated for you anyway, Jimmy. Try starting with something simpler. I hear Spawn is pretty fun.
>>
>>77476988
There's nothing wrong with not reading something because you're uncomfortable reading it (unless you always do that, because then you refuse to challenge your own beliefs and that just leads to being a boring fucking person).

What's wrong is basing whether you want to read something or not on spoilers and people's opinions on the internet to such a degree that you ask people if your existing perception of the book is correct and then start arguing with them when they say "No, and stop being a baby." Putting even that aside, you're showcasing that you have a very loose grasp on self-awareness, a startlingly Yes/No or Good/Bad-centric philosophy on all characters in fiction, and you have difficulty judging things for yourself. Because of that, The Maxx would probably be a bad comic for you anyway.
>>
>>77476988
>I already explained on length that I read lots of far-right and far-left philosophy that I know will make me uncomfortable.
But since we don't know you, Anonymous Poster #77476988, it is difficult for us to ascertain the veracity of your statement.

And considering your behavioral conduct in this thread, it is only natural for us to assume that you are lying.

Until you actually sit down and read the comic, this will not change.

>It's just that it occasionally feels good to take a break from that.
If you want to not read a comic, then you should decide on your own to not read that comic, without coming here and asking us to approve of your decision to not read a comic.
>>
>>77476988
>ignores the actual analysis of the comic
sounds about right for you OP.
I bet you don't even have any interest in reading the comic, jus knowing about this one point so you can shit on it to some fucking women you think wants to fuck you but in reality thinks you're disgusting.
>>
>>77476986
But stories are LITERALLY INCAPABLE of having messages and characters that aren't representative of all people within an archetype or real world group! It's not deep if it just applies to a certain person or a certain mindset that many different people can have!

You think I'm joking, but a lot of people are incapable of reading stories without segregating characters from stereotypes and anecdotes from DEEP, ALL ENCOMPASING meaning.
>>
>>77476989
You're the one incapable of grasping any level of complexity, in real-world people no less. You've already decided who I am based on a quick skim of my posts and any further, more in-depth analysis of my statements is simply part of an attempt to confirm your already-established prejudices about me instead of actually finding out the truth. Half this thread is just confirmation bias.txt.
>>77477084
> jus knowing about this one point so you can shit on it to some fucking women you think wants to fuck you but in reality thinks you're disgusting.
I mean how the fuck is this not confirmation bias? This is just goddamn babyish behavior, no different from a white nationalist calling you a SJW kek who hates the white race because you disagree with their opinions.
>>
>>77476988
I like how you ignored this shit basic and reasonable response >>77476360
Are you actually trolling?
>>
>>77477115
Read the comic already.
>>
>>77477056
Or maybe the reason you assume I'm lying is because you want to confirm your kneejerk prejudices and infantile emotional reaction to my comments.

If you want I can prattle on and on about the views of radical feminists and "alt right" figures to prove that I've researched things I disagree with on length.
>>
>>77477115
>You've already decided who I am
Could you point that out to me?
Because I'm pretty sure I just acknowledged that the irony seemed to (and STILL seems to) have flown over your head and that what I've read looks like it would point you more towards fun, non-challenging books. I mean, you yourself SAID as much, so why am I suddenly judging you by agreeing with you that you should try something that won't upset you?

>any further, more in-depth analysis of my statements is simply part of an attempt to confirm your already-established prejudices about me instead of actually finding out the truth.
First, why would I care about that?
Second, holy strawman Jimmy! Settle down, or soon you'll be drawing political cartoons about me!
>>
>>77477140
Okay, here you go: I've already been convinced the comic is not actually black-and-white "if you're not a feminist you're a brainwashed victim and need to be saved by feminism" propaganda and I'm gonna read it.

I'm not arguing that anymore, I'm simply explaining why a lot of the people ITT are acting in a really dumb way.
>>
>>77477115
OP you are a fucking joke. Your reaction to this thread has been one of the funniest things I've read in a while and I'm so glad you're this immature.
>>
>>77475716
Alright here's an answer
The Maxx is a strange comic that is quite niche and polarizing. The main villain is a rapist and serial killer. Strong themes are treated, although in a comic book fashion.

If you are in a bad mood and you don't want to read depressing stuff, avoid it and read it another day.
>>
>>77477172
What else am I supposed to get from you equating my question of "are these online interpretations accurate" with "I'm already convinced this interpretation is correct and anyone who says otherwise is wrong"

also see
>>77477174
>>
>>77477211
OP read the fucking comic instead of being a whiny little cunt
>>
>>77477174
Not to throw flames on the fire, but I think you may genuinely have mild Aspergers, OP. That or you're still really young.
>>
>>77477184
I use depressing things to wind down all the time. There's a difference between reading a sad story or listening to a sad song and reading something that pushes a specific condescending message that you're sick of hearing about. I've already been convinced that the comic is not doing that.
>>
>>77477225
>Not to throw flames on the fire, but I think you may genuinely have mild Aspergers, OP
What makes you think that?

For the record, I actually have diagnosed OCD. Not aspergers though.
>>
>>77477211
Probably because people responded to you and you adamantly argued that they were wrong because of what you read from someone else instead of asking how that compared to other people's analyses.
>>
>>77475716
I I wanted to read The Maxx, are there any specials I need to read?
>>
>>77477245
>Probably because people responded to you and you adamantly argued that they were wrong because of what you read from someone else
Point me to the post where I said this.
>>
>>77477261
This post >>77476901 directly answered your original question. But you focused the the sarcastic ending >>77476988
>>
>>77477316
Well now you know that you guys succeeded in changing my mind. I just think SOME of you did it in the most misguided, reactionary way possible. Some didn't:
>>77476343
>>77476213
>>77476192
>>77476482
>>77476376
I'll admit I should have addressed these posts before, but it's easy to get caught up in negativity on 4chan. Not a justification, I obviously made a mistake.
>>
>>77477360
>>>77477316
>Well now you know that you guys succeeded in changing my mind. I just think SOME of you did it in the most misguided, reactionary way possible. Some didn't:
>>>77476530
>>>77476488
>>>77476343
>>>77476213
>
>I'll admit I should have addressed these posts before, but it's easy to get caught up in negativity on 4chan. Not a justification, I obviously made a mistake.

Subtle.
>>
File: Cerebus_186_06.jpg (409 KB, 1200x1842) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus_186_06.jpg
409 KB, 1200x1842
>>77476289
>fuck off and actually read Cerebus cunt

"It wouldn't be that big a stretch to categorize my writing as Hate Literature against women... in this Fascistic Feminist country" -- Dave Sim

lol if you don't think the 15 pages of this fucking insanity don't contain a lot of Sim's earnest beliefs.
>>
>>77477425
I deleted the post and reposted it because I accidentally quoted my posts twice instead of the people replying to me. >>77477405

There goes your GOTCHA, brah.
>>
File: delicious julie.jpg (222 KB, 650x654) Image search: [Google]
delicious julie.jpg
222 KB, 650x654
>>
>>77477261
>>77477316
Also for the record, the post you linked to was still not me disagreeing and saying "no, the comic is one-sided propaganda". I should have addressed the part of the post that wasn't passive aggressive shit and said "ok, I get it, you convinced me" but I never specifically disagreed with it either.
>>
>>77477556

>/v/ plays an rpg
>>
>>77477454
For a third time actually read the comic instead of posting his insane ramblings.
>>
>>77477454
>Writer's beliefs=the content of the comic
Wow you are retarded
>>
>>77477769
That's a fan, myfam.
>>
File: Cerebus_186_08.jpg (422 KB, 1200x1846) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus_186_08.jpg
422 KB, 1200x1846
>>77477769

This shit is from the comic.

That issue has 5 pages of art/panels and 15 pages of this garbage.
>>
>>77477897
Yea I just skipped that when I was reading.
>>
>>77476458
How can my opinion be inaccurate? I didn't find it preachy. Julie is to me a sympathetic, sometimes pathetic charachter. There are passages where feminist views are discussed. The whole idea of creating a world to hide in, making up a protector and then not being able to differentiate between fantasy and reality are related to known psychological afflictions. Oh, and I found it a good read. You can not refute that this is my impression of the work. Source: I bought the series first run in the 90s and have read it through like 8 times.
>>
>>77476133
>forum

oh no anon, you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>77475716
>I think the paneling and art of this comic are amazing and from what I read of it and watched of the show it has a fantastic sense of atmosphere, but if this was not just internet Tumblr-type kids projecting their own politics over a work and that type of condescending message is what Sam Kieth was really getting at then it would probably just leave a bad taste in my mouth.
There is absolutely no condescending message in The Maxx. It's a beautiful book, it's just not for everyone and it has nothing to do with the message or the narrative style, more with the content itself.
Stuff like The Maxx or Foru Women, another one by Sam Keith, might indeed be considered feminist, but I doubt tumblr types would like them or describe them as such. There's nothing really preachy about The Maxx and there is literally nothing in common between The Maxx or Four Women and retarded pseudo-political bullshit like Bitch Planet or this dumbass grill-power writing that has dominated capeshit recently.
In The Maxx and Four Women, a character's experiences with being raped are being used to talk about how the characters cope with this, sometimes with brutal honesty. Seriously, these books are as far removed from tumblrshit as possible.
>>
>>77478334
I just worded my post wrong. What I meant to say is that Julie is not really a mainstream feminist and would be deemed anti-feminist by a lot of people in the group.
>>77480311
People do project that stuff over it, people also pretend Kill La Kill is a Tumblr-feminist screed though.

Fun fact: I actually asked one of the people I read one of those comments from about this and he admitted he may have read his own brand of modern feminism over it
>>
File: The Maxx 01-03.jpg (269 KB, 644x1026) Image search: [Google]
The Maxx 01-03.jpg
269 KB, 644x1026
But really the guys saying "YOU HATE THIS COMIC AND DON'T CARE ABOUT IT" are wrong as fuck, it would still be good even if it were about how everyone who's not a feminist deserves to be lined up a wall and shot and has some of the most impressive and creative art & paneling I've seen.

The 'fixed' coloring job for the IDW version with the airbrushing is shit though.
>>
File: The Maxx 04-13.jpg (332 KB, 1000x1557) Image search: [Google]
The Maxx 04-13.jpg
332 KB, 1000x1557
>>77480688
Also honestly nothing in it really strikes me as author soapboxing. Here I doubt Kieth was using Maxx as a mouthpiece to say "I think prostitution is inherently immoral", it's just the opinion of the character.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.