[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come people hate Iron Man 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 12
File: Iron Meme.jpg (710 KB, 3000x1995) Image search: [Google]
Iron Meme.jpg
710 KB, 3000x1995
How come people hate Iron Man 3?
>>
I didn't like any of the Iron Mans. 1 was clearly the best but not great like people say
>>
I don't mind the twist that much, but...
>>That whole segment where he's stuck in that place with the kid slows the movie down so much.
>>"That was violent!" made me cringe so fucking hard.
>>
>>77443033
The plot was a mess and the characters were all over the place.
>>
>>77443033
I liked it. Wasn't the best movie of all time but the plot worked. People nitpick too much.
>>
>>77443307
>x and y were bad
Yeah, but why?
>>
Iron Man's still my favorite MCU. Maybe Civil War will convince me to switch teams.
>>
>>77443033
it was fine. basically 2 and 3 each had complementary flaws and drawbacks
>>
>>77443033

It was a complete waste of potential.
>>
I don't like it because an army of automated lookalike bots is more of a Doom thing?

I don't even like Doom that much

But I think he should retain his own quirks
>>
Was sloppy.

The Mandarin reveal was pretty bad, as were his motivations as a villain.

The idea of Stark suddenly suffering from PTSD felt shoehorned. Random Maya that had little or no weight.

Was actually slightly worse than Iron Man 2.
>>
Quick somewhat related question: In the first Iron Man, Tony is kidnapped by the Ten Rings and the leader wears a big ass ring. Was he meant to be the Mandarin?
>>
>>77445041
Maybe a son of the Mandarin? Or a general who was granted a ring? I don't know, "10 rings" implies 10 different terrorist cells all operating under one leader, but this is just my head canon
>>
>>77445041
he was meant to be one of the ten ring-bearing members of the ten rings, with the mandarin being the guy the ten rings answered to
>>
i didn't like the face that he was no longer in a suit. controlling them via a laptop makes him like the pilot of a drone. it removes the heroism; he is no longer iron man, but iron man's pilot
>>
>>77445156
wasn't that the point of the movie? that he was getting too far removed from the heroic ideal, resulting in him being taken down a peg, destroying his drones that bastardized the ideal, and reinventing himself anew
>>
>>77444873
>suddenly
his mental state had been getting worse and worse with every appearance.
>>
The real question is, how come in Iron Man 2 he's poisoning himself with the Iron Man suit but at the same time he's put a separate reactor in the Mark II. Sure it doesn't stop the poisoning entirely but it'd sure a fuck be better.
>>
>>77445246
Mmmhmm.

So why didn't he have PTSD from being blown half to pieces and kidnapped by terrorists.
>>
>>77445211
They weren't drones, they were suits. He destroyed them and removed the arc reactor to symbolize his letting go and forward. Although he moved forward into creating actual drones and being even more paranoid.
>>
>>77445263
not hardcore enough. Now, carrying a nuke through a portal through space after fighting aliens with an urban legend and a god on your team is enough to make a man shit himself for months
>>
>>77445263
The suit gave him a sense of control that finding out about alien invaders robbed him of.

It's not like he has no psychological repercussions from the first incident, he went on a personal revenge war against a terrorist group that almost certainly violated dozens of international treaties and domestic laws.
>>
>>77445258
He needed to have the arc reactor in his chest to prevent the shrapnel from entering his heart, regardless of whether he was using the reactor to power suits.
>>
>>77445263
Because, mmmhmm, he got to cope with it by making a badass robot suit and being a superhero.

Then he had to carry a nuke and barely survived DESPITE his badass robot superhero suit. Which is why he spent the whole beginning of the movie experimenting with making as many badass robot superhero suits as possible.
>>
>>77445344
Why not get the shrapnel removed?
>>
>>77445362
They did it in the comics, I don't know why it's taking so long in the movies. It's a pretty big weakness
>>
>>77445297
>>77445315
I get that you guys are trying to justify it, but the real reason is that the writer wanted Tony to have PTSD.
>>
>>77445390
>I get that you guys are trying to justify it
And they succeeded.
>>
>>77445362
>>77445383
He did at the end of IM3.
>>
>>77445390
I wasnt justifying I was just joking around. It really is thw writers decision though, If writers could only use things previously alluded too comics amd movies would be pretty boring
>>
File: RingsoftheMandarinComparison.jpg (241 KB, 1246x617) Image search: [Google]
RingsoftheMandarinComparison.jpg
241 KB, 1246x617
>>
>>77445362
the risk of him dying in the open heart surgery was too high for him to willingly go through with it. It was only when provided the security blanket of Extremis's healing factor that he felt safe going through with it
>>
>>77445406
Not particularly. I'm not buying it.
>>
>>77443033
Basically the whole scene where he gets his ass kicked by a helicopter. If he was so worried about the Mandarin coming for him he should have/would have been wearing better armor than his half finished piece of crap.
>>
>>77445416
Nothing that we know of, anyway.
>>
>>77445416
Damn, Comics Mandarin sounds op as fuck
>>
>>77445457
"Prop Item" doesn't have the same ring to it.
>>
>>77445472
I realize this was a post-release retcon but there is a real mandarin out there that probably has real rings that do magical things.
>>
Well we now know that there is a real Mandarin, but we still don't know about the rings
>>
>>77445433
And from your total lack of substantial arguments, I'm not buying that you were ever open to being convinced in the first place.
>>
I wanted to see an Iron man movie, not a RDJ and the Floppy Armors the Movie.
Also the only cool scene is when they sent a missile to Stark's house
>>
>>77445416
I'll be honest that's fucking gay.
>Oh let's give him a million different superpowers
You just know that every plot revolves around the writer forgetting how at least one of the rings work so the hero could win.
>>
>>77445390
psst, the real reason anything happens in a movie is because the write wants it. or because the people paying for it make the writer change it.

The point is we know it's fiction.

>>77445408
But I'm asking why not do it in 1 or 2

>>77445425
But that implies that the MCU just as a fixed version of extremis around and that isn't true.

They should have had Tony drop a line in Ultron about how he's familiar with the cradle as it was used after his surgery or something.

>>77445448
He was wearing the suit he could protect pepper with.
>>
>>77443033

We finally get Iron Man's foremost, most iconic foe, the Mandarian. And it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>77445495
>tfw MCU never introduces a real Mandarin in any upcoming movie
>>
>>77445551
It was pretty funny
>>
>>77445532
a large, or repeated doses of MCU extremis carries the risk of spontaneous combustion, but a small amount could give you a low grade healing factor for several hours. He clearly didn't receive a full dose, otherwise his heart and close would have closed up in the middle of the surgery.

but I'm getting bored so you're probably right
>>
>>77443033
Because it's a horrible film.
>>
>>77445590
You're making that all up, I just finished the movie.
A large dose does automatically make you pop, but as we see from Pepper the normal dose also runs explosion risks. Then on top of that, there's the need to be able to regulate after each dose.
>>
>>77445425

So with all this superhuman godlike technology, they couldn't perform a simple medical procedure.

If Tony is the ultimate super genius he's regarded to be, then logic would dictate that he'd be able to build and program some automated medical system that could perform the surgery with the pinpoint accuracy to unerringly perform the extraction. Im sure he could also bring in all the pre-eminent scientific minds to correct any possible oversights

So he can build all these armors and Ultron, but he can't build something like that? Im sorry, that's just bullshit. It's like how Reed Richards is able to invent a way to go into the afterlife and bring Ben back, yet somehow he is unable to cure cancer. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to.
>>
>>77445532
>But I'm asking why not do it in 1 or 2
Because the writer didn't want it to.
>>
>>77445518
Sorry, I just don't view headcanon as very convincing.
>>
>>77445567

No, it was bullshit.
>>
>>77445721
it was funny
>>
>>77445733
I'm with that other anon, it was pretty bullshit.
>>
>>77445761
ok,
>>
>>77445689
he's an engineer that majors in mettalurgy and minors in AI development. He never studied medicine, and his attempts at curing himself in IM2 were just killing him in a different way but slower.

he's also a raging narcissist that requires A LOT of persuasion to accept that he can't do everything himself and should trust others when need be.
>>
>>77445698
Yes thank you, these are fictional works I get that.
I'm looking for stories' internal logic.
>lol there is none
I wouldn't be asking if it was just directly in the movie, and yes I'm asking for a bit of head canon just some that's at least based in MCU canon.
>>
We don't really know whether Tony injected himself with Extremis or not, or if he did whether he got any superpowers. It was never brought up in AoU.
>>
>>77445792
So you want me to tell you plausible lies?
>>
>>77445861
They aren't lies.
Spin me a story that is based on canon and doesn't conflict with canon.

is /co/ really giving me this bullshit right now? We do it all the time for comics and how super powers work, or how a secret identity is maintained. But when it comes to Marvel movies it's like this great sin that I want to do this.
>>
It's obviously not as good as IM1, but it gets way too much hate.

It's much, much better than either Thor movies, Hulk, and arguably Cap 1.
>>
>>77445890
I agree with this, more or less.
>>
>>77445881
>is /co/ really giving me this bullshit right now?
Not /co/. Me. I do it all the time in fight and powers threads. You want a made up answer to a question and I think that's silly.
>>
>>77443033
It was a movie filled with really moronic plotholes(such as the Arc Reactor not being able to charge his suit, Rhodey being shoved into a wall and left alone, the Iron Patriot armor being let on the plane with the president, and the IP armor being left on with the president inside) specifically designed to NOT give me what I paid for, which is goddamn Iron Man action

After 2's complete and utter lack of action scenes and the backlash that got, you'd think they'd bring in the budget for more of what people paid to see when they go to see "Iron Man", but nope. And rather than give good explanations for it, they just assume you won't even ask why the disco ball in his chest that the whole series is based around stopped being an option.

Oh, and then they repeated the same damn twist from IM1 with the whole "Rich white businessman who is from Tony's Past and hates him and wants revenge is behind the 'terrorist' attack on Tony from the start of the movie" beat for fucking beat, but this time it's got comedy, so now it's all profound.

It's a movie that promised a lot of new things in the leadup, delivered more of the same, and then shortchanged you on that same old same old with an inept script full of holes they stuffed with comedy.

In short, on a purely writing level, it's below even Thor The Dark World, at least that movie didn't have Thor forget about his hammer all the time and expect you to just ignore it.
>>
>>77446043
You sound like an asshole. Do you go around policing what other people are allowed to ask about in real life too?
>>
>>77446147
>being this wrong
>regurgitating all this crap you've heard before
not even worth correcting
>>
>>77445779

He doesnt NEED to study medicine to make a robot. By your admission he has the know-how to make an AI that can do it
>>
>>77446182

As a matter of fact I do
>>
>>77446201
No, he's quite correct
>>
>>77446182
You can ask whatever you like. On the other hand I can say that I think it's a stupid question. I'm sorry that you don't like the real answer to your stupid question, but that's just how it is.
>>
>>77446201
Uh huh. I'm sure you have plenty of good reasons why I got let on the plane. I'm sure you have a ton of explanations why the arc reactor didn't work but a car battery did. I'm sure you have a great explanation how a repeat of the same plotline from IM1 was elevated to new heights by toilet humor.

If only it was worth correcting, then everyone else would know why this slap dash mess of a script filled with horribly timed humor at every serious moment was secretly more than a really, really terrible movie.

If only.
>>
The first Iron Man is great all around.

2 is a fucking mess, but I can still get enjoyment from it even on rewatches.

I thought 3 was really good the first time I saw it, certainly better than 2, but I haven't managed to get through it since. I don't know why. The twist didn't even bug me that much.
>>
>>77446304
>the real answer
you're really pretentious

>>77446334
>I'm sure you have plenty of good reasons why I got let on the plane.
When he walks up to the president before they get on the plane, the president says "Colonel Rhodes. Glad to see you could make it, son. I feel safer already."
It's pretty clear Iron Patriot was expected.
>>
>>77446444
>Expected

No, he wasnt. He was in another country the day before and then up and fucking vanished. The only explanation for this horrible fuck up in this mess of a scene is if somehow all his Secret Service just forgot to mention their soldier welding their billion dollar flying superweapon just straight up ceased to exist for hours on end, and then just didn't feel like talking to anyone.

Real reason is, of course, a bad joke to cover up a massive plothole that they hope you don't question, because if you do you'll ask "Why did nobody care when he vanished seconds after looking for a supposed terrorist base?"

And then you don't even get Iron Patriot for the rest of the film, he's done because of this plothole.
>>
>>77443370
He didn't say "bad". He used the phrase "a mess" to describe the plot, which is a specific criticism of the plot, distinct from something like "cliched" or "boring". I assume he's talking about how the plot progression was messy, with poorly conceived motives for the villain, and a pretext to get Tony to get involved that didn't even make sense given the plot points we find out later. It lacked cohesion.

As for the characters being "All over the place" I would assume that's a criticism of Tony's PTSD that he seems to cure or get over by the end of the movie just by gaining tome faith in his inventing abilities again, or something, which I'm pretty sure is not how PTSD works; Also the Character of Pierce seems not so much like a character as a collection of known villain traits thrown together clumsily. Sleazy businessman, former spurned nerd, betrayal by the hero after idolizing them, greed, a desire for the hero's love interest, and finally biologically-enhanced-and-made-crazy! He's pretty much the one Marvel villain I'd say is bad not because of blandness or underdevelopment, like Malekith for instance, but because he was given the time on-screen to be developed, and came out so utterly crappy anyway.
>>
How come people like Iron Man 2?
>>
>>77446337
>I haven't managed to get through it since. I don't know why. The twist didn't even bug me that much.
The twist was the least of that movie's problems, that's why.
>>
>>77446625
For all its flaws it gives Tony a pretty good character arc and Hammer is an entertaining villain with reasonable goals and methods.
>>
>>77446625
I don't know if anyone acually thinks it's a good movie, but I have, from time to time, enjoyed watching it when it invariably airs on FX. Part of it is the performances, I think, it sure as hell isn't the story. Don Cheadle does a good job, RDJ does a good job, John Slattery turns in a good performance as Howard Stark in his tiny role, Samuel Jackson tries at least to turn the lame part they crammed into the film into something decent.Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell's interactions were the highlight of the film. It all adds up to a movie that you can easily drop i on at any time, and not get any less satisfaction than you would wathcing the whole movie through, and probably even enjoy it more than trying to watch the whole thing through.
>>
>>77445689

In the comics he did invent a cure for cancer (Reed did). But he calculated the cure causes more problems than it solves so he put it on ice until he could use it.
>>
>>77446444
>you're really pretentious
Is it not the real answer? You said it was.
>the real reason anything happens in a movie is because the write wants it
>>
>>77446515
Plus they never bothered to check who was in the armor and since it weighs enough to fall straight through two ceilings and crush a car it really shouldn't be let on a plane at all.
>>
>>77445406

explain me how did Tony got over the PTSD?
>>
>>77446853
He wished for it really hard.
>>
File: 8744287860_c031e0124a_b.jpg (258 KB, 1024x657) Image search: [Google]
8744287860_c031e0124a_b.jpg
258 KB, 1024x657
>>77446625
It gave rise to Black Pepper femslash fanfics.
>>
Nothing is coherent with this movie

Prob the director is a coke addict.. Oh wait
>>
>>77445263
Bump
>>
>>77446853
He built all those suits as part of it, destroying the suits was part of it but he's still dealing with it going into Civil War.
>>
>>77445287
> He removed the arc reactor
I was wondering about how he managed to survive after that, and if I did knew, I'd probably can't remember it. What treatment did he had to replace it? Was there a scene I missed between the surgery and the reactor's disposal?
>>
>>77447063
the surgery was remove the shrapnel, the sole reason he needed the arc reactor inside him in the first place.
>>
>>77447063
>Was there a scene I missed between the surgery and the reactor's disposal?
No. He just had it and the shrapnel removed and then the scene cut to him throwing the reactor off a cliff.
>>
>>77443033
>As part of the Iron Man franchise

The plot is full of so many holes that it tries to save face in being cheesy, and doesn't even do that right. It's an incredibly disappointing closure to the series and makes a mockery of the first film which was great

>As a cape film

Not enough cape

>As a comic book film

Absolute disgrace to the source material. It's so bad they had to make a Marvel One-Shot to retcon the infamous Mandarin fiasco, which isn't even done well because it doesn't change the fact what happened happened.

>As part of the MCU

This entire film happened. It's canon. It can be ignored going forward but it doesn't change it was one of the highest grossing films in the MCU and will be remembered as such, even if it's no longer relevant.
>>
>>77447095
>>77447077
Thanks for the explanation, I think I got it now.
>>
File: Mugatu half.gif (1 MB, 503x272) Image search: [Google]
Mugatu half.gif
1 MB, 503x272
>>77443033
Let's see here

>tells enemy where his house is because he wants to fight, and doesn't suit up or have the iron legion ready to respond so that he can, you know, fight
>enemy helicopter easily destroys his entire house when he should've flattened them entirely and easily with his tech
>villain is all pissy because he got stood up in the nineties
>random kid part takes a million years
>fake drama with jarvis "dying" that means nothing
>the mandarin is a meaningless red herring, but despite this the villain says "I am the mandarin," meaninglessly
>the regenerating soldiers are all evil because ???
>retarded plant based technology or something
>scientist girl is retarded
>Pepper becomes SUPER ACTION GURL AND BEATS THE VILLAIN when she has been a screaming cringing damsel in action situations in all previous scenarios
>Tony destroys the iron legion... why? For pepper? And she's all happy, instead of accepting that tony needs to protect earth.
>and the destruction is entirely meaningless since Tony has some sort of iron legion in Age anyway

So much stupid shit.
It was definitely the funniest though
>>
>>77447077
So why didn't he do that earlier? Not like the arc reactor couldnt be mounted in the suit instead.
>>
>>77447223
>>fake drama with jarvis "dying" that means nothing
I thought this was just the suit powering down, not him dying.
>>
>>77447246
he was scared he'd die in the surgery. Extremis mitigated the risk.

The plot holes in that have been pointed out, but that's the reason
>>
>>77447246
you could argue that as a futurist he liked being a transhuman, so kept making excuses to not get it done, and it took both IM2 and IM3 to convince him that it wasn't worth putting off any more
>>
>>77447417
>Extremis mitigated the risk.

Wait what?

Tony never subjected himself to Extremis in the movies.
>>
>>77447417
>Extremis mitigated the risk
Tony never even underwent Extremis in the movie though. That's the dumbest thing about it. All this basing of stuff on the Extremis arc, and it never even gets to the crux of it, Tony getting an upgrade.
>>
secret agent tony beating up armed/trained dudes with lo tech gear rubbed me the wrong way
>>
>>77447417
That's not the reason. That's headcanon. And stupid headcanon at that.
>>
1. Waste of AIM. I really hope they return, ideally with beekeeper suits and all.

2. Waste of Mandarin. I know in the short it's heavily implied that there's an actual Mandarin, but revealing that in a movie would be convoluted as shit and so it ain't going to happen.

3. The characters often acted in ways that made no sense.

I didn't hate the movie, but I do feel it was a lot of wasted potential. Especially for what may be (probably is) RDJ's final solo outing as Tony.
>>
>>77443033
The biggest criticisms I hear are that it was too much Tony and not enough Iron Man, and that the Mandarin was butchered.

I think it was a fine amount of Tony and Iron Man. I think RDJ did well.

I'm a big fan of Mandarin and I thought the movie was fine. I laughed out loud at Kingsley when the twist happens.

There's also a Marvel One-Shot that was on the blu-ray of one of the movies (I don't think it was Iron Man 3) that shows Kingsley being kidnapped by an agent of the real Mandarin who wants a word with him about his impersonation., which I thought was pretty cool.

I prefer it to Iron Man 2, but not Iron Man.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. Ant-Man
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Iron Man 3
8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Thor
10. Captain America: The First Avenger
11. Iron Man 2
12. Thor: The Dark World
>>
>>77447649
A fair list. While I disagree personally about some of the rankings it's not on the level of "HOW could this person even THINK that?!"

Here's hoping Thor 3 comes out near the top though; Taika Waititi is a very interesting choice, and more Bruce Ruffalo is welcome.
>>
>>77447649
>There's also a Marvel One-Shot that was on the blu-ray of one of the movies (I don't think it was Iron Man 3)
It was Thor: The Dark World. Yes, I think it's the worst MCU movie too.
>>
File: farley.gif (3 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
farley.gif
3 MB, 240x180
> actual threatening villain is introduced
> he turns out to be a funny drunk englishman mcguffin
> he's replaced by a fire breathing businessman with an incredibly forced tie into Tony's past
> no dadrock in the credits
> replaced by weird jaunty spy movie theme
>>
>>77447708
>no dadrock in the credits
The one situation where this is a negative.
>>
Neither the story or the dialogue were well-written. Tony teams up with a kid for no reason. That stupid Home Alone break-in scene. What was Jon Favrau doing? The Manderin red herring was just dumb.
>>
1) villian is a joke
2) this had waay too much tony stark and buddy running around while 'ironman' was remote controlled. why is there any tension if there is no consequence of ironman losing , ie, there is no one inside the suit that can die
3) all the suits flying around at the end was ok, but to me all the iron man suits are the same with different labels
>>
poorly

shot

action

scenes

too much time watching the drones wooshing around being indiscernible in muddy dark scenery
>>
The reason I loved it so much is the exact reason why plenty of people hate it, disregarding the NOT MUH shitposters.

This was, more then any other film in the MCU, the singular work of the director. Shane Black mentioned that the only script revisions he got were all the swear words taken out and a tiny handful of trims to the story, Disney barely touched it and it shows. This was Black's film all the way, and he did what he always does which is write a bananas 80's/90's action movie filled with banter set at Christmas-time with an impossibly smug villain. For all people talk about how much of James Gunn was in GOTG it's nothing close to how much Shane Black was in IM3.

And like a lot of those movie, the plot is completly secondary and filled with holes because at the end of the day, it *didn't* really matter that much. No one talks about how tight the narrative was in Lethal Weapon or Last Boy Scout, they're vehicles for the quips and the buddy-cop chemistry and that's exactly what Iron Man 3 was.

That kind of writing can't survive in a world where picking apart the plot of a movie, especially big-budget blockbusters is one of the Internet's favourite pastimes. You can argue it's a good thing or not all you want, but the Internet has bred a generation of nerds where plot is paramount and picking apart the holes is equated to genuine film criticism and that's not an environment 80's writers like Black can survive in.
>>
>>77443033

I dunno, OP. Probably because it was shit.
>>
Mandarin twist is clever but robs the film of an actually interesting villain. Instead we get Tony Stark Rival #3 and he's generic as they come. I don't give a shit about his goal and his powers aren't interesting.

Not nearly enough Iron Man scenes. I know this is half the point of the film but when I go to an Iron Man film I expect more Iron Man.

Pushing Pepper to the forefront at the climax is dumb and obviously just them bending to the cunt of an actress's whims. They could have done something cool with it but it's just lame.

I don't hate it but it's definitely one of the weakest in the MCU.
>>
>>77448556
So it's okay for a film to be shit so long as it has creative freedom?
>>
>>77448799

No, I'm saying his style of writing is from a very different point in time where plot didn't matter all that much.
>>
>>77448813
He should get with the times then.
>>
>>77448813
Even viewing it through the lens of 80s/90s action movies, I'm not fond of it.

You say it's a vehicle for quips and buddy-cop chemistry, but if that's the case there wasn't enough buddy-cop stuff. Rhodey had a few good lines but not enough to qualify for buddy-cop level, and the Tony-Pepper quip game was not very strong.
>>
>>77448824

That's fair enough, I'm just saying the very reason some people love it is why other will hate it.
>>
>>77445416
So how would those rings fare against the Infinity Stones?
>>
>>77445461
>Damn, Comics Mandarin sounds op as fuck

He was basically Fu Manchu.
>>
File: BroadCityIlanaJerkOff.gif (2 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
BroadCityIlanaJerkOff.gif
2 MB, 500x278
>>77447169
>Absolute disgrace to the source material.

You can like a thing and be critical of it. The Mandarin is a z-lister only remembered because he's Iron Man's archnemesis, not because he was a great villain.

>It's so bad they had to make a Marvel One-Shot to retcon the infamous Mandarin fiasco, which isn't even done well because it doesn't change the fact what happened happened.

More like Marvel getting to have their cake and eat it too.
>>
>>77449493
The rings basically each have one power with fancy descriptions. Still, that's 10 superpowers so they might manage to beat a couple of the stones, but not all of them together.
>>
>>77446201
He's right, though. IM3 was pretty bad with a lot of plot points and the Mandarin twist was infuriating. Shit gave me blue balls cause I expected the fucking mandarin to show up, not whatever the fuck we got instead.
>>
>>77445890
Eh, I still find Cap 1 a bit more enjoyable, even if the first half is slow as hell, but it certainly picks the hell up right after Steve gets Super-Soldier'd
>>
>>77449850
>but it certainly picks the hell up right after Steve gets Super-Soldier'd
But then you have to watch him knock out fake Hitler over 200 times.
>>
>>77447169
>The plot is full of so many holes
There is no hole in the plot.
>>
File: suitup.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
suitup.gif
2 MB, 500x281
The new iron man game is pretty cool.
>>
Penis
>>
The Mandarin twist in and of itself wasn't bad, but they followed it up with a terrible villain in Killian so it just feels like a massive waste.
>>
>>77443033
Why people like him in the first place?
>>
>>77447223
>>tells enemy where his house is because he wants to fight, and doesn't suit up or have the iron legion ready to respond so that he can, you know, fight
At this point, he still beleived they were your classic ole terrorist, living in cave. Not to mention, up until that point, they had only used explosive device, not rocket launcher from diguised helicopter. Also, he was emotionally shacked by his friend being wounded, so the msistake is understandable. Not to mention, it's an emotional response to Terroism as a whole. Terrorism want you to be afraid, want you to fear them and hide yourself. He wanted to show them it was not working.
>>enemy helicopter easily destroys his entire house when he should've flattened them entirely and easily with his tech
Taken by surprise. you'll notice that what the rocket hit first are his set of armor precisely so he wouldn't be able to use them.
>>villain is all pissy because he got stood up in the nineties
Got no problem with that.
>>random kid part takes a million years
IMO, all their exchange was hilarious. Not to mention that part of the movie was about investigation. Investigation are always the cool down part.
>>fake drama with jarvis "dying" that means nothing
That did not happen.
>>the mandarin is a meaningless red herring, but despite this the villain says "I am the mandarin," meaninglessly
This is not meaningless. It mean he was the one behind it alll. And the fake MAndarin isn't meaningless either. He was very effective at fooling everyone.
>>the regenerating soldiers are all evil because ???
Because they are ready to kill the President. Most of them feel like they got abandoned by their government, after losing limbs or part of themselves and Killian give them a second chance.
>>
The whole Pepper thing was awful and anti-climactic.
Yes, it's definitely cool to see how Gwyneth Paltrow easily takes out someone who destroyed Iron Man armors minutes ago and could've been if not a good villain, but at least a credible thread defeated in an appropriate way.
>>
>>77447223
>>77450241
(cont..)
>>retarded plant based technology or something
No technology to improve biology. It was simply first experimented on plants.
>>scientist girl is retarded
Not really.
>>Pepper becomes SUPER ACTION GURL AND BEATS THE VILLAIN when she has been a screaming cringing damsel in action situations in all previous scenarios
Not an issue there, she is like Dobbie the house elf, taking down Lucius MAlfoy once he is finally free. Or Grimma finally killing Saruman after all the harrasment he did to him. Naratively, it make perfect sense.
>>Tony destroys the iron legion... why? For pepper? And she's all happy, instead of accepting that tony needs to protect earth.
The Iron Legion were build as a copping mechanism and Tony being unable to deal with his stress. Destroying them meant they had outlived their purpose.
>>and the destruction is entirely meaningless since Tony has some sort of iron legion in Age anyway
This time, they were build with a clear purpose to address a problem instead of fooling around to avoid thinking about the issue. He started from the scratch once he had figured out what was wrong with him.
>>
>>77450248
I liked it. It's theme that I like and is not used that often: it's about the Villain, being able to defeat the hero, but his downlfall is caused by the one he looked down and considered his plaything, by his sub-servant he mistreated all along and didn't see it would be that one that would cause his defeat, being too focused by the hero.

The Villain being defeated by his own lackey/slave should happens more often.
>>
>>77450270
The theme doesn't matter, what matters is the execution. And it was awful in the movie.
It only made Killian even shittier of a character if that's even possible.
>>
>>77450282
>And it was awful in the movie.
I disagree.
>It only made Killian even shittier of a character if that's even possible.
How? He resisted at everything launched at him and was only killed by getting blown up from the inside. He was a quite though mother-fucker.
>>
>>77450241
>>77450250
Nice headcanon.
>>
>>77450309
No headcanon. all of this come directly fomr the movie.
>>
>>77450308
>bland personality
>no menacing presence whatsoever
>generic goals
He was shit, and if physical goals meant villain quality, Doomsday would be the best villain ever.
Getting taken out like a bitch only solidified him as laughingstock.
>>
>>77450270
>The Villain being defeated by his own lackey/slave should happens more often.
Pepper was neither of these things. And the execution was awful. She was just injected with super science plummeted towards her "death" in a fiery explosion. But sure she can come from behind and steal a ridiculously awesome kill from Tony with a pipe and a repulsor that she doesn't know how to use on top of the fact that it shouldn't even work.
>>
>>77450319
Sure it does.
>>
>>77450369
>Pepper was neither of these things.
He treated her as a trophy and tried to remade her in a shape he deemed perfect.
>But sure she can come from behind and steal a ridiculously awesome kill from Tony with a pipe and a repulsor that she doesn't know how to use on top of the fact that it shouldn't even work.
Except, that not what happened. she was heneced with the most perfect extremis formula so far and used a missile that was in the arm of the armor to shoot it inside Killian so it would explode from the inside. And she know Tony's design.
>>
>>77450373
Yes, pay more attention to a movie before complaining about plot holes, next time.
>>
>Not muh mandarin

and yet every one of you is perfectly happy with how AIM was portrayed.
>>
>>77443033
Because every fucking suit was a prototype that fell apart if there was so much as a brisk fart.
>>
>>77443033
Could have went for a cool Magic v Machine moment that ties into his "being taken down a peg" arc, but nope it was a joke. Guess I don't get it.
>>
>>77451053
They were hastily put together by a man who couldn't sleep anymore, not knowing what was stressing him out. No wonder he blew them out. Not to mention they were dismanteld with super powered war Veterans.
>>
>>77451171
>They were hastily put together by a man
No, they were made by Tony's pocket factory.
>>
>>77451269
Same thing.
>>
>>77451310
Is it? It kinda seems that Tony programmed Jarvis to make the suits function anyway. Look at the designing he does of the other iron man suits after the first movie. Like, you can imagine theres a lot of off-screen tweaking, but there is definitely at least one scene where he just moves a bunch of things around and begins fabrication in like, minutes. A lot of those suits are just basic suits made from different materials. Igor is really unique and cool and probably needed more work put into him. too bad he had less screen time than iron man
>>
>>77451364
>Tony programmed Jarvis to make the suits function anyway.
No, he supervised the design and functions of each. He basically did what he did to create the armors in the first movie.
>>
>>77451485
>He basically did what he did to create the armors in the first movie.
That's not even how engineering works in real life. Im pretty sure Tony would program Jarvis with the ability to like, prefab suits on the fly, even if he did meticulously designed each one. And back to the main point, I seriously doubt the structural integrity of the suit would slip past Jarvis' protocol of making sure each one actually protected the wearer. Some of these suits were meant to go into space, and youre telling me they can't handle extreme heat?
>>
>These posts, especially >>77444871
Good old /co/, never reading comics. Iron Man hasn't been a guy in a metal suit for a decade now and there's been tidbits of that even before that (the sentient suit, for example).

Heck, it's ridiculous that the same faggots tend to say that Iron Man 3 was a bad movie because it moved Stark in a new direction, whereas Avengers 2 was a bad movie because it was just quip-filled filler.Avengers 2 was fucking garbage and managed to make one of Avengers' biggest villains into a comedy character.
>>
>>77443033
Iron Man movies have always been bad. People realised that 3 was also bad, but are too invested in the MCU to admit it that it's the same quality as the previous movies.
>>
>>77451600
>managed to make one of Avengers' biggest villains into a comedy character.
is that

is that not what iron man 3 does?
>>
>>77451553
>Tony would program Jarvis with the ability to like, prefab suits on the fly, even if he did meticulously designed each one.
We have seen in the first movie he design the armors himself. J.A.R.V.I.S. is just the facotry who compile the specifications.
>>
>>77447025

but he didn't had it during Age of Ultron
>>
>>77446853
The movie itself has a sort of meta way of how he finally dealt with his PTSD: the whole movie is actually him finally opening him and talking about his issues for the first time to a friend (Bruce Banner) But you only know that by watching the after-credit scene.
>>77451675
Age of Ultron is actually Tony having finally figured out the source of his anxiety: that if there was an other Alien invasion, there is nothing he could do about it to stop the invasion. That was the source of his anxiety.

Tony and Bruce Banner have thus been working together on the Iron Legion has a line of defence against them, working on Ultron to control them. He hadn't PTSD because he had 1) identified the cause of his anxiety
2) was actively working on a solution.

At the end of Avengers 2, he finally retire for good, confident Vision is the solution to the problem.
>>
>>77451808
Nigger what. He solves his PTSD inside the film, not after it. Also, panic attacks dont go away just because you will them to, and its not like trying to make ultron isnt some stupid fucking disaster waiting to happen but Bruce just goes along with it because I guess he read the script.
>>
>>77451869
>He solves his PTSD inside the film
This is what I said. Within the film. Him talking about his issues with Bruce is also part of the film.

>Also, panic attacks dont go away just because you will them to
You need to talk about them and identify the cause of them. which is what Tony did.

>and its not like trying to make ultron isnt some stupid fucking disaster waiting to happen but Bruce just goes along with it because I guess he read the script.
They made Ultron to deal with potential Alien invasions. Bruce goes along because he also fought back that alien invasion.
>>
>>77443033
>advertise yourself as a serious superhero movie
>say tony will have to face what he's done
>mandarin is going to a big challenge

>it's just another 2 hour quipfest with no serious repercussions

they even ended the movie with him destroying the suits and his power thing BUT IT MEANT NOTHING

NOTHING CHANGED
>>
>>77451916
Your line of logic is, during the events that are being retold to Bruce, Tony gets over his PTSD in the middle of the movie, because of events that happen at the end of the movie.
>>
>>77451945
Time Gem
>>
>>77451945
He didn't get over his PTSD in the middle of the movie. He got over it when he started to talk it out with Bruce.

So far, we had seen that his panic attack tened to be rahter spaced out, usually having one or two within a week, not more. from the last PTSD attack seen in the movie to Killian getting defeated, less than 24 hours elapsed.
>>
>>77451945
>>77452114
There is more to that. Early on, the movie clearly establish that working on building armors prevented Tony from having Anxiety attacks. When he goes "I am an engineer", he actually start to tackled down Ahis situation as an engineering problem putting himself in the same set of mind he was in when building his armors, thus being able to deal with his PTSD like he already did beforehand.
>>
>>77443033
The previous two films and Avengers set up that Tony Stark was smart, iron man 3 operates under the idea that he's an idiot.
>>
>>77453024
The only idiot thing he did was telling where he lived and that was just after Happy had been badly hurt.

I think many miss the point of that scene. The aim of terrorists is to make you afraid, to baricade yourself and hide, because you don't know when they are going to attack you next. Tony Stark here was doing what many wished they could do: to show them that he is not afraid, that what they are doing is not working and that he is ready to fight back.

Mind you Tony had the whole area securised and on the watch. What he didn't account for was that he underestimated the means f his opponent and they would have stealth helicopters.
>>
>>77451808
>At the end of Avengers 2, he finally retire for good, confident Vision is the solution to the problem.

P.S. Tony Stark will return with a new terrible solution to all the world's problems in Iron Man v. Captain America: Civil War
>>
File: 2807085-hulk__30___page_8.jpg (264 KB, 879x807) Image search: [Google]
2807085-hulk__30___page_8.jpg
264 KB, 879x807
>>77445531
>a few specific powers, not even close to the most OP powerset in Marvel
>durr a million
Wow MCU fans really are stupid
>>
>>77454052
Just like in my comic books.
>>
>>77445472
We don't know who the real Mandarin is.
>>77445495
Can't really be a retcon if the Ten rings already existed in Iron Man 1.
>>
File: iron costanza.jpg (414 KB, 1024x1493) Image search: [Google]
iron costanza.jpg
414 KB, 1024x1493
>>77443033

it kinda of feels like a filler episode rather than a coming full circle book ends to a trilogy.
>>
say what you want about the movie but i loved the plane rescue scene.

i just love superheroes doing the "hero" part.
>>
File: IRON-MAN3-02_510.jpg (33 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
IRON-MAN3-02_510.jpg
33 KB, 612x380
>>77455899

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE.
>>
>>77455935
What?
>>
>>77447223
I assumed the Pepper thing was because in the entirety of the stories until then she had been vulnerable, in the terms of danger. She still believed she was a helpless human in the midst of a supervillain plot until she was dropped and realized she didn't die.

Then, with the sudden power was like "fuck that asshole"
>>
>>77455072
Avengers 2 also had that filler feeling.
>>
>>77450241
>taken by surprise
how? He knew they were coming
>he thought they were in a cave
why? when does it say this? Why is he being so stupid?
>that didn't happen
he was all like "don't leave me jarvis" it was for fake drama
yeah this complaint's pretty weak
>not meaningless
Why would he say "I am the Mandarin."?
Why would he say that? What does that mean?
The mandarin was a red herring, that's it. Tony already understood that, there was no point in him saying "I am the mandarin," it acts like the mandarin is a thing, which it isn't, in this movie anyway.
>they are ready to kill the president
Sorry but veterans don't turn all evil and against the government.
There would be a substantial amount against the badguy. They wouldn't all suddenly be cool with all the evil bs he was doing.
>tech to improve biology
it was stupid. Yeah I know this complaint is weak but I still think so
>not really
Yes really. She can't fucking decide whose side she's on, she gets tricked by the obviously evil bad guy, everyone lets her get away with her BS. She's dumb and the people around her are dumb. I felt she was a pointless character. I'll have to re watch it for a detailed complaint.
>not an issue there, she is like dobby the house elf
what

>the legion was a copping mechanism
so you're telling me he blew up all his iron mans and then made more, and this isn't retarded? I don't care if he made them because he was coping. He doesn't have to destroy them to prove anything. Doing that and making more is utterly pointless. And the film implied he was done being iron man. And then he says "I am iron man." ?????
And in Age he's iron man anyway, and nothing in 3 mattered.
>>
>>77449850
I think the opposite. The whole beginning showing what a nice guy Steve is and all the propaganda stuff is the most interesting part of the movie. Then it just becomes a meaningless montage of Hydra soldiers getting punched.
>>
File: marveldr.suess.jpg (148 KB, 500x1270) Image search: [Google]
marveldr.suess.jpg
148 KB, 500x1270
>>77456326

I know. that was problem with the movie.

the best movies are the ones that don't feel like filler like Winter Soldier, GOTG, Iron Man 1 ,The Avengers or First Avenger.
>>
Winter Soldier>Avengers>Iron Man>Guardians of the Galaxy>Iron Man 3>Antman>Age of Ultron>Iron Man 2>The First Avenger>Thor>The Incredible Hulk>The Dark World
>>
>>77457400
I'd put First Avenger over Iron Man 2, and GotG over Iron Man 1.
>>
>>77456326
I agree, but I think that is ultimately less unsatisfying to me, because we know that there actually will be a final installment to wrap it up. I came out of Iron Man 3 feeling like "Well, that was really just another Iron Man movie that they tried to make into a trilogy-ender with some voice-over stuff t the end." And it was disappointing, for one, because it didn't wrap up Iron-Man's solo adventures in a way that felt meaningful, and two, because we all knew that he'd be back for more crossover films anyway.
>>
>>77451600
>Iron Man 3 was a bad movie because it moved Stark in a new direction

Name one time someone said that. If anything the worst part of Tony's characterization in the Iron Man films is that they ignore most of the development he got in the first one.
>>
>>77457263
I'd say that while "The First Avenger" didn't exactly feel like filler, in that it padded out the time between two important stories, it did kind of feel like a prelude to the Avengers, especially by the end. IMO, Cap would have benefited from more movies set in the WWII era, at least one more.
>>
File: BOTH.png (63 KB, 597x321) Image search: [Google]
BOTH.png
63 KB, 597x321
>>77443033
>hey this movie's villain isn't an evil businessman!
>oh wait yes he is!
>>
>>77457827
iron man 2 was more of a prequel than cap 1
>>
>>77456326

How did Iron Man 3 even manage to make itself feel like filler though? I mean we know with Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2 the executives forced in stuff to set up the future movies. Iron Man 3 is completely skippable and the only thing you miss is the fact that Tony now has a suit that can build itself around him. I mean, even the fact that the President was captured and the Vice President was a traitor never gets brought up.
>>
>>77457961
It was a standalone, not really connected to the other Iron Man movies.
>>
>>77443033
Because the movie had interesting ideas but didn't use any of them well.

The Mandarin appears, but he has nothing in common with the character he's based on.
Big spectacle-making villain is just a front to draw attention away from the real threat, but the real threat is a generic corrupt corporate guy instead of being a memorable opponent like the fake was.
Tony has PTSD, but it doesn't take effect at any point that really impacts the story and it's simply forgotten in the end rather than being addressed.
Tony's starting to live life through his suits, but this is addressed by destroying the suits (an event that's ignored when he next appears in Age of Ultron) instead of having him learn to use them responsibly. If they wanted him to keep being Iron Man, this issue should have been given a different resolution. Apparently they wanted to have their power armor and blow it up too.

There are a lot of smaller flaws to take note of as well. These are only the ones I noticed straight away when watching the movie.
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.