[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>talk to art school narration teacher who teaches how to write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_nxjtn2UUW71rcp7bmo1_540.jpg (170 KB, 529x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxjtn2UUW71rcp7bmo1_540.jpg
170 KB, 529x810
>talk to art school narration teacher who teaches how to write comics
>we are talking about comics
>I mention geeky horror/fantasy/video game-y stuff like Scott Pilgrim and Hellboy and how it's read by adults as well as teens
>he asks if they're retarded

Why is there such a stigma on comics? Or was he just retarded?
>>
Scott pilgrim is not read by adults.

It may be read by people who are over the age of 21 but I can assure you; they are not adults.
>>
Why the hell is he teaching comic scripts if he doesn't know of current massively popular comics? Sounds pretty useless. How much are they charging you for this class?
>>
>>77416284
He's not teaching much to be honest.

All the other teachers are much more efficient than he is, and they are the reason most students stayed.
I remember hoping for classes where he would show us stuff, give us lectures on story structure and the likes but he pretty much just sits at his table, gives us stuff to write without telling us how it can be done well. He gives some feedback on what you made and that's it.

So it's nice to have him tell you what's wrong in your story, but most of what I learned, I learned by reading other people's stuff and internet articles on the subject.

He also admitted only reading funny comics, and not knowing what all this geeky stuff is about. (I wrote a story about a viking who fights his soldiers for a quest trophy in a video game and had to explain everything, from the purpose of mana or life points, to what a berzerk is). He also can't into magic. It doesn't make sense to him.
>>
>>77416242
What kind of a teacher uses the word retarded? A "cool" one who walks into class with sunglasses, then later joins the cool kids outside on their smoking break?
>>
This drives me crazy. I think comics have a stigma attached to them because of early production practices. Like Sci-fi/fantasy writing comics were produced as something equivalent to pulps. Artists, for the most part, cranked out books for a pay check and passion projects where few and far between. After decades of this nonsense, artists are starting to take their work seriously and not as a stepping stone to screenwriting but they still have to deal with a flawed perception of what comics really are. Also, I hate it when peoe call them funnies.
>>
>>77416630
>"cool" one who walks into class with sunglasses, then later joins the cool kids outside on their smoking break?
He doesn't have the sunglasses.
>>
>>77416656
Funny how there's always a teacher doing that.

Acting like a big shot, who is hip and loved by the kids that he patronizingly hangs out with.
>>
>>77416242
>art teacher asks if popular shit is retarded
Doesnt matter its selling and he's there to make you successful in some shape or form
>>
>>77416373

So he, is in fact, the retard.

how do chucklefucks like that get into teaching positions...
>>
>>77416373
>to what a berzerk is
That's not even a video game concept, that's just a normal word. What a shitty teacher.
>>
>>77417760
Well the argument is that it's not his era and not for him. A "youngster" stuff if you will.

I'll let you judge for yourself if you think that's a fair argument.
>>
>>77416373
How old is the retard? I want a mental picture of this douche.
>>
>>77417727
You wanna get madder?

Like, a lot madder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5MPzQnokMU
>>
>>77417964
I'd say in his fourties/fifties.
>>
>>77417996
This doesn't really make me mad it's just rather retarded.
>>
I hope you give him a terrible teacher evaluation, you're being ripped off. I've taken comic classes before and they've either worked in the industry or at least animation.

What school is this?
>>
>>77417996
>Lady cop tells him he's on video
>then immediately tells him he swung it when he didn't
what the fuck?
>>
>>77418316
A french one.

And he writes books. Never read any of his fictions. I know he's into more realistic stuff. he greenlighted the story of a friend who's writing about two girls who travel together and the older one has a life changing experience through it.

It just became a bit harder for my friend to work when he tried to push her into changing the story to make it more cliche, turn it into a lesbian love story and add sex scenes in her comic.
>>
>>77418533
Yeah, sounds like they got like a washed up English/literature/creative writing prof and thought 'he can teach comics too right it's not like it's hard' and then you're stuck with him. My sympathies. Since you speak English well, have you read Alan Moore's book? it's pretty handy.
>>
>>77418578
>Alan Moore's book?
Holy shit, not yet. Thanks. Completely forgot about it. I'll find it. What's the title?
>>
>>77418599
Alan Moore's Writing for Comics

There's epub versions available pretty easily too
>>
>>77418599
Nevermind, Googled it.
>>
>>77418533
>french
>being snooty
Quelle surprise.
>>
>>77418451
America
>>
>>77416242
Jonah?
>>
>>77418965
No. Why?
>>
>>77418578
I've had so many teachers that just don't give a fuck anymore, but they can't get fired cause a) tenure at university or b) school doesn't want to bother with the work to hire someone new. I've had lots of classes where I wanted to put in extra effort and go above the assignment and teachers will say no because then they have to work to grade it.

Be thankful you can actually take a course on this and that you have other teachers you can get to help. Better yet is finding writing groups or clubs where people can share and critique each other, academics aren't usually the people who understand developing culture and new art. For that, it's best to talk to other creators.
>>
File: Treant.png (1 MB, 1321x1336) Image search: [Google]
Treant.png
1 MB, 1321x1336
>>77419084
I'm going to add some more to this.

I joined a writing group when I was 15 and most where approximately my age, so we really sucked! But through the years, the ones that stayed improved a lot, some of us took courses and brought that experience to the group. Some people didn't really improve, they were there just for a bit of fun and not to improve. Others went on to be editors and published authors. But in those 11 years (of an on in it for me) I improved a fuck ton. Part of it was help from a few in the group that saw some of the mistakes I was repeating constantly, it's hard to see those yourself, but a large part was being forced to write almost every day. As most writers tell you, writing is the best way you get better. So keep writing.

pic related was something I did recently on /tg/
>>
File: are comics serious literature.jpg (169 KB, 600x847) Image search: [Google]
are comics serious literature.jpg
169 KB, 600x847
>>77416242
Your teacher is an idiot but
>Why is there such a stigma on comics?
Because comic fans tend to be man-children regardless of the quality of the comic.
>>
>>77416242
People like him also probably think The Muppet Show is for kids under 7 only.

But honestly just because you can enjoy something at a young age doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't be able to enjoy them at a later age.

I mean The Hobbit is for kids and LOTR more/less for teens, but that doesn't mean a person can't reread them nor enjoy them as an adult.
Cause sometimes you're in your 20s and don't wanna read the simarilian and instead enjoy Bilbo's adventures.
>>
>>77419335
Comics (with VERY VERY few exceptions) aren't seriously literature.

But neither is Buffy the Vampire Slayer and that didn't stop adults from watching the shit out of that.
>>
>>77416242
>geeky horror/fantasy/video game-y
If that's your chosen vocabulary I can see his concern with retardation.
The stigma is you.
>>
>>77418533
No shit he doesn't know about Hellboy and Pilgrim, American comics are considered to be the lowest the medium can go in France, where comics in general are also often considered childish. Even if he did know them he'd probably be too ashamed to acknowledge it. Not saying he isn't a fag but some context sure helps.
What are his references in bande dessinée?
Also wtf are you doing studying this in a French university? Are you actively trying to be unemployed?
>>
>>77419942
Are there university courses that feature that?
Besides wasn't the audience mostly teenagers?
>>
File: charlie.jpg (97 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
charlie.jpg
97 KB, 780x520
>>77420126
>France, where comics in general are also often considered childish
>>
>>77416373
Sounds like the Joe Kubert School.
>>
>>77420252
>implying even close to half the charlies have any respect for comics as an art form
>implying it wasn't just a huge "muh freedumz" wankfest that could have happened with any medium
>implying political caricatures that appear in newspapers are the same as comic books in the mind of people
>>
>>77417996
God those Mizzou kids can't chant for shit.
So glad I ended up not going there.
>>
>>77420252
The people in that picture are political cartoonists and they get the same respect they get over here, ie, too much.
>>
>>77420252
Thought that said Jesus Charlie.
Either way who the fuck is Chuck?
>>
>>77420438
You really haven't heard of it? It was all over the news back in January. Just Google "je suis Charlie".
>>
>>77420438
murdered
>>
File: 1319320161538.jpg (1003 KB, 1280x1004) Image search: [Google]
1319320161538.jpg
1003 KB, 1280x1004
>>77420652
>>77420719
Ah so it's
>Piss off some towel wearing fuck
>Blat, blat, blat. Buck, buck, buck
>I am Charlie, (but I am not Chuck)
something something, shit out of luck.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.