[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
8 Iterations of the Marvel Universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: iterations.jpg (185 KB, 523x431) Image search: [Google]
iterations.jpg
185 KB, 523x431
So, if this is right it would make it really easy to sort the Marvel Universe into different iterations for better continuity.

What do you guys think of this?

I figure:

1st iteration - Timely Comics
2nd iteration - Post Timely Comics
3rd iteration - ?
4th iteration - ?
5th iteration - ?
6th iteration - ?
7th iteration - Post House of M
8th iteration - Post Secret Wars (2015)
>>
>>77392238
Man, fuck marvel
>>
>>77392238
8th iteration is post-SW. 7th iteration is pre-SW. 6th iteration is Galactus' universe/X-men TAS. 5th iteration is whereever lovecraftian space wizard is from.
>>
>>77392238
One s Post Age of Apocalypse.
Post Age of Ultron could work as well.
Post Heroes Reborn?
>>
>>77392238
At least two of those would be Heroes Reborn and Post-Heroes Reborn, no?
>>
>>77392373
>>77392323

I don't think Heroes Reborn counts as it's in Counter-Earth which actually did exist in the same unvierse (616).

Post Age of Ultron maybe... but it was very self-contained to count I guess.

I like the idea of Age of Apocalypse
>>
>>77392323
>Post Heroes Reborn?

I'm not sure about that one, because it didn't affect the entire Marvel U, it was just Avengers and FF entering another dimension.
>>
>>77392238
1st iteration - Timely Comics
2nd iteration - Atlas Comics
3rd iteration - Marvel Comics
4th iteration - The Original Secret Wars
5th iteration - ?
6th iteration - Infinity Gauntlet
7th iteration - AoA/Onslaught
8th iteration - Post Secret Wars (2015)
>>
>>77392679
Or maybe Battleworld itself should be counted as a iteration?
>>
>>77392679
I like this, but I don't think it was a different iteration after secret wars... comics showed everything as the same.

>>77392727
I don't think so...

let's see:

1st - Timely Comics
2nd - Atlas Comics
3rd - Marvel Comics
4th - ?
5th - ?
6th - Post Age of Apocalypse
7th - Post House of M
8th - Post Secret Wars (2015)
>>
>>77392301
I'd say this one works best, tempted to suggest one of the first 5 incarnations was the Earth 8 that got destroyed by The Gentry during Multiversity(sure this makes the previous proper DC vs Marvel crossovers problematic, but one can blame the usual Timey-Wimey crap there)
>>
>>77392801
The Gentry didn't destroy Earth-8, they destroyed Earth-7, which happened in Secret Wars with Ultimate Marvel getting #rekt
>>
what i understood from this is that the 616 universe was renewed 8 times, so 8 renewals of the same universe.

that's why stuff like marvel MAX and ultimate universe wouldn't count.
>>
>>77392906
Yeah we've seen this happen before actually in the comic tie-in to the 90's X-Men cartoon, which ended with that universe being destroyed and being recreated as Earth 616/Universe 7
>>
>>77392992
what comics were that?
>>
>Timely Comics - 1939
>Secret Wars - 2015

>(2015 - 1939) ÷ 7 = x years between universe incarnations
>76 ÷ 8 = 10.8571429 years

>Universe-1 - 1939
>Universe-2 - 1949.85714 (1950)
>Universe-3 - 1960.71429 (1961)
>Universe-4 - 1971.57143 (1972)
>Universe-5 - 1982.42857 (1982)
>Universe-6 - 1993.28571 (1993)
>Universe-7 - 2004.14286 (2004)
>Universe-8 - 2015

This is probably not the best guideline to use, but some years seem to coincide with events in Marvel's history, such as 1961 being the year that "Fantastic Four" #1 was published.
>>
>>77393051
so basically:

>1st - Timely Comics
>2nd - Atlas Comics
>3rd - Marvel Comics
>4th - ?
>5th - ?
>6th - Post Age of Apocalypse
>7th - Post House of M
>8th - Post Secret Wars (2015)
>>
>>77393039
X-men Adventures. First 2/3rds is comic versions of the show, last third is new stories set in the universe. Ends with the reveal that it's the universe Galan is from, and ends with it being rebirthed into 616/U7.
>>
File: X-men-adventures-1.jpg (79 KB, 400x614) Image search: [Google]
X-men-adventures-1.jpg
79 KB, 400x614
>>77393039

Adventures of the X-Men, I think.
>>
>>77393107
what could 4 and 5 be?

is the universe reset in the original secret wars?
>>
>>77393674
You all are forgetting Eternity's death and Entropy taking his place, resulting into a new, slightly different universe in PAD's Captain Marvel.

I think they are referring to the HIckman-introduced concept of the whole multiverse sharing the bang-crunch time-span.

So it's less "8th iteration of the universe" and more "8th iteration of the MULTIverse".
Multiverse-8.
>>
>>77393132
Mother of fuck

In other words, every marvel comic is literally canonical.

Just when I thought that MU couldn't get more convoluted, it actually does.
>>
>>77393959
than why does he explicitly say

>seventh iteration of THIS universe

when he knows about multiverse and other different universes?
>>
>>77394101
>In other words, every marvel comic is literally canonical.
Yes? No shit. That has literally always been the case. Thats the point of having an infinite multiverse.
>>
>>77394180
Elseworlds / Multiversity does not necessarily means that it HAS to be canonical. And not to the point, where you have to read a fucking cartoon tie-in to know how Universe 7 started. I mean, really?
>>
>>77394141
he might not know about the other Universes, yet.

Them being actually relatively ignorant of the multiverse is a plot point and the reason America is there
>>
>>77394141
Because of how the Marvel multiverse works, universes split off from pre-existing ones. For example, the Age of Apocalypse universe was created when Legion went back in time and accidentally killed Xavier. This created a new universe.

Now, that'd be the first iteration of that universe despite splitting off from Earth-616's 7th iteration.
>>
>>77394248
>I mean, really?
COMICS!

It's actually kind of awesome.
>>
>>77394313
>It's actually kind of awesome.
Yeah, if you have no life
;_;
>>
>>77394248
>And not to the point, where you have to read a fucking cartoon tie-in to know how Universe 7 started
But we learned that in Lee/Kirby's FF. All X-men Adventures did is say that Galan's universe is the same as the X-men TAS universe.
>>
>>77394334
It doesn't make it any less of a mindfuck
But I must give it to marvel that way they can keep both those who prefer 616, and those who don't like the numeration at all, happy
>>
>>77394248
In Marvel it does. That's how it has always worked. Every story is canon in some universe, each What If? gets its own universe number, every cartoon, every fanfiction story, every idea floating around in a fan's head that could possibly exist. Even things completely unconnected to the Marvel characters are canon to the Marvel Multiverse. Every work of fiction, from classic novels to the latest video games, exists in their own universe. And because it's infinite there's no limit to the possibilities. Your favorite alternate universe character got killed off? Don't worry, a writer can always introduce a version exactly like them except from a universe when some kid in a small town in Colorado parted his hair the other way one morning in 1985.
>>
>>77394447
For me, non-canon is when a certain story doesn't affect the main continuity. Of course, you are correct, but still, it's both fascinating and frightening at the same time.

I do wonder, if marvel is ever going to do a HARD reboot. So far, marvel changed little things, but if you read marvel, let's say, since 80s, these are more or less the same characters, with their history continuing, rather than restarting.

I remember that people wondered whether Ultimate Universe would take over as the main continuity
>>
>>77392323
Post House of M?
>>
>>77394536
I hope they never do a hard reboot and just stick to retcons. As it is they have a wonderful set up where everything good or well received stays canon and as long as things you don't like or that are unpopular aren't being referenced they're functionally non-canon by virtue of everyone ignoring them. And eventually they get outright retconned or some writer brings it up for a new, good story that redeems the original.
>>
Oh wait hang on, does One More Day count? I mean technically it only applies to Spidey...
>>
>>77394536
>>I do wonder, if marvel is ever going to do a HARD reboot.
Never.
It's simply not worthy the hassle, as they learned by observing DC rebooting

>>77394447
That's not exactly true.

The Marvel multiverse is actually limited to all QUANTUM POSSIBILITIES.

Which means there are scenarios you can imagine, but they could never happen because, say, an atom should spin left but that atom can only spin right(it's just an example)

In fact, there were once a description of the difference between "What Ifs" and "Imaginary Stories" somewhere in a old "weird shit starring The Rapping Watcher" sort of comic.
It's DC where everything you can imagine exists
>>
>>77392679
New Universe?
>>
>>77394730
Nope, because both 616 and NU co-existed
We're talking about a situation when new universe erases old
>>
>>77394753
so, how many times has been the MU 616 been reset:
Siseneg rewinding
Entropy replacing Eternity
Thanos rebooting it with the Heart of the Universe

I think it was destroyed at least once by Reed Richards?
>>
File: 1437467037890.png (99 KB, 1677x1718) Image search: [Google]
1437467037890.png
99 KB, 1677x1718
DC is in the 8th too if you count Flashpoint as a separate thing
>>
>>77394809
I wouldn't be surprised if the universe restarted much more than 7 times, since marvel sucks at counting
>>
>>77394707
New 52 wasn't a hard reboot either since Batman and Green Lantern didn't get reset like everything else
>>
>>77394865
Then the original Crisis wasn't a hard reboot.
>>
Don't forget Amalgam, I'm sure that would count.
>>
>>77394897
Have never considered it one myself either as it only rebooted some of it's characters
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.