[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ryan Coogler Passes on Marvel's Black Panther
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 470x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 470x594
Daily reminder that Marvel can't find a black director for Black Panther because Marvel director gigs are worthless in Hollywood and any black director with a modicum of self respect won't sign on to be the (now) fourth choice in line and hired purely because of their skin color.

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/10/14/exclusive-marvel-pursuing-ryan-coogler-to-direct-black-panther?rq=Ryan%20Coogler
>>
They've buried the movie in February
The screenwriter is some studio cog
Directors keep turning down the gig
What are the chances they just cancel this movie?
>>
>>77379956
I didn't know Hannibal directed movies tbqh
>>
File: 1345254344912.png (466 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1345254344912.png
466 KB, 2560x1600
>yfw they get Tarantino
>>
File: 1408243190090.png (138 KB, 228x422) Image search: [Google]
1408243190090.png
138 KB, 228x422
>>77379956

Why does the director have to be black?

Who am I kidding, I know the answer.
>>
>>77380026

They're already pulled the trigger on Black Panther being a thing in the MCU so you can't just ignore him.

"Hey who's that black guy fighting cap?" "Don't worry about it."
>>
>>77380066
So Marvel can once again parade around with thier whole "LOOK HOW DIVERSE WE ARE" crap.

And once again people will eat it up.

Captain Falcon and Kamala are still the best things to come out of that though.
>>
>>77379956
Did he comment on it? I'm worried now, the story is probably shit.
>>
File: 1440729340554.jpg (474 KB, 1619x1725) Image search: [Google]
1440729340554.jpg
474 KB, 1619x1725
>>77379956
So that's 4 black directors in a row Marvel has asked, right?

Racism is still alive and well in the States.
>>
File: tyler-perry.jpg (34 KB, 573x381) Image search: [Google]
tyler-perry.jpg
34 KB, 573x381
>yfw this guy gets to direct it
>>
>>77380117
>So Marvel can once again parade around with thier whole "LOOK HOW DIVERSE WE ARE" crap.
That's not the reason why, but you tried it.
>spoiler
Falcon Cap is actually good?
I kind of enjoy Kamala, the writing is a bit cringey though, like a 55 year old writing a 14 year old.
>>
>>77380155
>That's not the reason why
You know it is.
>>
>Never heard of him
>Look on wiki

>Creed is an upcoming American sports drama film written and directed by Ryan Coogler, co-written by Aaron Covington and produced by Sylvester Stallone. The film stars Michael B. Jordan as Adonis Johnson Creed - Apollo's son - and Stallone reprising the role of Rocky Balboa. It also features Tessa Thompson, Tony Bellew and Graham McTavish. It is the seventh Rocky film, both a spin-off from the original series and the indirect successor to 2006's Rocky Balboa, and also reunites Jordan with Fruitvale Station writer/director Coogler and also Wood Harris, whom Jordan worked with on The Wire. It is also the first Rocky film not to have Stallone as a writer.

>Filming began on January 19, 2015 in Liverpool and later also took place in Philadelphia, Rocky's symbolic home. It is scheduled to be released on November 25, 2015 in the United States - the fortieth anniversary of the date of the opening scene in the original Rocky.

Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge is coming out it two weeks and I've never even heard!
>>
>>77380152
>yfw even he's got too much self respect to do it
>>
>>77380105
He'll just end up being a support character, shuffled around to different movies.

Like Black Widow.
>>
>>77380172
But it isn't you fucking retard.
>>
>>77380152
he recasts himself as black panther and madea has a cameo appearance. all the madea movies are now part of the mcu

these changes are slowly introduced in the comics
>>
>>77379956
I don't blame em. Marvel just wants to play it safe and go full comedy.
>>
>>77380234
Great retort. Wanna tell us what the reason is then?
>>
>>77380066
>>77380117
It's not so much that as they are avoiding the shitstorm SJWs will cause if they don't get a black director. It's more of a situation of avoid the backlash than earn the progressive points.
>>
>>77379956
Thank you masta fo tha job couldn't get hired without you giving it to me not cause deserve to but cause masta gibs it to me fo bein a good nigger
Yeah I really hope every black director gives the finger to Disney they're fucking racist
>>
>>77380269
I would actually not be pissed off.
>>
>>77380117
>Captain Falcon and Kamala are still the best things to come out of that though.

Nah. Robbie and Kamala.
>>
>>77380365
>Marvel tries to get a black director
>all good black directors turns marvel down
>marvel still get labeled as racist
>>
This is racist as hell. Black Americans =/= Africans or people from places like Wakanda
>>
>>77380155
>That's not the reason why, but you tried it.
It is, actually. They announced they were only looking for black directors - why else would they do that? Even Anthony Mackie said it was stupid of them.
>>
>>77380383
just a pointer: "massa" works better than "masta" if you're going for slave speak.

keep up the good work though
>>
A reminder that Heroichollywood made the rumor up in the first place
>>
>>77380437
Silly anon -- /co/ doesn't know what rumor means
>>
No actual director wants to work with Marvel - that's why they lost Joe Johnston, Kenneth Brannagh, John Favreau and Edgar Wright and can only find TV directors to take their jobs. Marvel doesn't want a director to have a vision or any freedom, they want their director to direct what Feige and his committee have already decided the movie should be.
>>
>>77379956
First kekwars now the avengekeks
>>
I hope they just end up getting some Nigerian Nollywood director.

>Laugh! FORGET YOUR SORROWS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4XeiIDtQ4
>>
>>77380413
Shhh, just leave them be.

Skin colour is all that matters to them.
>>
remarkable how this shit always ends up with 4chan not wanting black directors to get work
>>
>>77380133
Three:

>Ava DuVernay: Uses Marvel to generate publicity for her by very publicly meeting with them and subsequently declining.
>F. Gary Gray: Would rather do Furious 7 than Black Panther.
>Ryan Coogler: Creed has been getting good buzz in film circles. No way he's going to risk damaging his burgeoning reputation by taking a paint-by-the-numbers Marvel gig if the film is good.
>>
>>77379956
Hannibral Burress has been workin out.
>>
File: coming-to-america-1998.jpg (99 KB, 580x400) Image search: [Google]
coming-to-america-1998.jpg
99 KB, 580x400
>>77380302
>Marvel makes BP a comedy
>it's a straight up 1:1 adaptation of Coming To America
>>
>>77380513
>Not City of Dragons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzta8kfLSqM
>>
>>77380532
Its not that the director is black its that most people just think its retarded to just look for black directors because BP is black

If they were looking at him for Thor now I doubt anyone would really care.
>>
>>77380532
No one said that, dipshit. We just know that Marvel's hiring for this movie is more of a PR stunt than actually finding the best person for the job.
>>
>>77380554

Article says he wants to show he can play nice with studios which is why he considered it/his name came up.
>>
>>77380152
>Tyler Perry's Marvel's Black Panther
would watch
>>
>>77380554
They should have listened to Falcon and stopped focusing on black directors only.
>>
>>77379956
No matter how many black directors they court for the gig, the media is still gonna sneer at them for eventually giving it to a white guy.
>>
>>77379956
If black people bankrupt marvel beyond repair making Disney have to sell it to some random nerd in a basement I swear I will never be racist again and I'd give them all the white women they want
Please kill marvel black people so I can at least have a true funeral for my xmen instead of seeing them as vegetables on their death bed
>>
>>77380152
I have a lot of respect for him. He is so self aware, he took a step back and said "wow, my race is a collective culture of retards...how can I make money off of them" and then did it
>>
File: shenanigans.jpg (115 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
shenanigans.jpg
115 KB, 500x330
>>77380532
Blackanon here.

I take issue with this because the ONLY reason that Marvel is even doing this is so they can once again dance around yapping about how diverse they are.

You bet your ass that if DC hadn't announced that were getting a Wondy movie a year before the Captain Marvel film is set to come out they would never shut up about that either.
>>
>>77380105
>>77380211
No reason they can't do this.
>>
File: 1445871029178.jpg (62 KB, 960x454) Image search: [Google]
1445871029178.jpg
62 KB, 960x454
>>77380211
To be fair, BW never had a movie officially scheduled. So he's already above her in that regard.

>tfw there a people who still actually want a solo BW movie
>>
>>77380532

If you have to hire a [blank] anybody, and it doesn't have to do with merit, and you do it publicly, expect that's going to rub people the wrong way. As it should.

But in defense of your post, I can't think of a recent time where someone was hired just because they were black/a woman/other "oppressed' minority onto a role and they did a poor job. I do think /co/ underestimates a lot of creative talents and could stand to let a person have a chance to impress them, rather than scrutinize them as JUST a diversity hire.
>>
>>77380234
It 100% is. Pull your head out of your ass.
>>
>>77380152
You're now aware that he didn't even know who David Fincher was and had never seen any of his movies before he was cast in Gone Girl.
>>
>>77380746
The Wonder Woman director selection process is a hilarious juxtaposition when compared to the Black Panther selection. Wonder Woman is a big enough character that female directors would kill for the spot even if they were being chosen largely for their gender. After Michelle McLaren was tossed to the side for her talking tiger sidekick idea, WB got Patty Jenkins in a heartbeat.

Compare that to Black Panther, who no black director wants to touch due to the obvious racist selection process. I wonder if they're going to have trouble with finding a female director for for Captain Marvel? Especially since the only people wanting to play her are Ronda Rousey or past their prime starlets who don't even know her but are desperate for a role:

>However, the interviewer turned the questions to Miller and asked if she would be interested in playing Captain Marvel. Miller, who knew nothing about the character, not even the fact that Captain Marvel is a female, was on board, nonetheless.

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/09/sienna-miller-wants-to-play-captain-marvel/

The Captain Marvel director will probably be the standard Marvel selection: TV director with little experience and desperate enough to get a blockbuster on their resume they'll let Fiege and the producers give them little say on the final product.
>>
He's a WB guy, they've already been courting him to do Cyborg. There's no way he was going to do it.
>>
>>77381152
>I wonder if they're going to have trouble with finding a female director for for Captain Marvel?
There's very few female directors as it is, so they'll probably just hire some bitch who directed an episode of Game of Thrones or something. They already got two females writing the movie, but you know it'll go through Feige's team of flunkies to homogenize it with the rest of their forgettable garbage.
>>
Probably for the best. Fruitville Station was "Dindu: The Movie". I didn't need to see 2 more hours of evil whote people harassing "promising young student" T'Challa.
>>
>>77381314
You never watched Fruitvale Station.
>>
>>77381314

> arrested guy shot directly in the back in accidental manslaughter by a police officer
> a dindu

c'mon man.
>>
>>77380746
>muh black opinions
Fuck off m8. Fiege had been talking about Black Panther, Captain Marvel, GotG, Iron Fist, and Doctor Strange in 2010 as things that Marvel was thinking about/in development. Captain Marvel was planned to be a part of Avengers 2 prior to a WW movie even being announced. You legit sound like a white guy who is butfrustrated about minorities while pretending to be black on the internet
t b h f a m
>>
>>77381192

wait, you're telling me cyborg might be good?

what a country
>>
>>77381635
You managed to miss the point of their post entirely.
>>
Reminder based Mackie said that BP doesn't need a black director and the left wing media crucified him for it.
>>
>>77380680
he's a smart swindler, he saw the money church idiots throw away and said i want some of that, played to their/his culture with a built in audience and their own money made a fortune. kept repeating until everyone wanted a piece of him and now is a big deal.
>>
>>77381696
The point being that Marvel is only doing this to be diverse. And that's incorrect.
>>
>>77380615
It's too late now. They've brought up too much attention to it so hiring a white director would result in "why isn't he black!" If they kept it hush and went with a white director originally no one would have given a shit except a small group.
>>
>>77381859
But it's not.
>>
>>77381859
They're only looking for black people to direct it to tout diversity, there's literally no other reason otherwise they wouldn't be limiting themselves creatively and wouldn't announce that they were doing so.
>>
>>77381900
>I take issue with this because the ONLY reason that Marvel is even doing this is so they can once again dance around yapping about how diverse they are.
>>
>>77381929
That's been Marvel in a nutshell for the past few years in both the movie and comic department.
>>
Why does it even need a black director? Shouldn't get someone who's good and read the comics?
>>
What if they get John Woo to direct it. Is it still diverse enough?
>>
>>77381926
Or because they think a black person would do a better job of writing black characters.
>>
>>77381946

Every director whose name has come up has been good-great.
>>
>>77381946
>getting someone qualified for a job

What the fuck are you on, anon
>>
>>77381715
It doesnt. Yes black directors need work but considering BP was created by a white man and his best runs were written by one too tells someone you dont need to be the same race to get a character and their motivations.
>>
>>77381946
>read the comics?
They want competent directors, anon.
Not hacks.
>>
>>77381949
This is for directing, not writing.
>>
>>77381940
>people in mainstream like X
>Marvel notices trend of X increasing popularity
>Marvel puts X in book
>Marvel makes $$$

This is the reason we have so many beloved characters and stories. People only dislike this now because they're making non-stereotypical minority characters on even footing as classic white characters.
>>
>>77381949
Theres a difference between African and African American.
Im black in America, i have no idea whats its like to be black in England or in Africa.
>>
>>77381949
Because there's so much in common between blackies from the States and Wakandans
>>
>>77381995
Sorry I meant directing. But yeah.
>>
>>77381949
Just like how they got an Indian dude to direct Slumdog Millionaire, right? Or life of pi.

Directors don't write movies they direct, not all the time.
>>
>>77382018
Then they're stupid if they think that.
>>
>>77382002
Yes you do, tripfag. Deep down inside you do.
>>
>>77382035
no u
>>
>>77382038
Whuh
>>
>>77382023
And people from India were pretty critical of Slumdog Millionaire.
>>
>>77380056
He's honorary black, ask Sam Jackson.
>>
File: Roots_25th_Anniversary_Edition.jpg (139 KB, 400x538) Image search: [Google]
Roots_25th_Anniversary_Edition.jpg
139 KB, 400x538
>>77382081
I watched Roots. You can't tell me otherwise.
>>
JUST LET NEILL BLOMKAMP DO IT THAT GUY LOVES SOUTH AFRICA.

HE COULD PUT DIE ANTWOORD IN IT.
>>
>>77382100
Didn't stop it from being a good movie.
>>
>>77382183
maybe if you're a pleb lol
>>
>>77382115
Kinda outdated but i get what youre doing
>>
This is the reason Priest stopped writing comics.

Don't demean these directors by only seeking them out so they can direct their "own kind"... That's the exact fucking thinking behind it and anyone who doesn't see it really does need to take their head out of their ass.
>>
>>77380211
Both "black" characters relegated to multi-film side characters supporting the white protagonist.

POETRY
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
File: soul-plane-524ab06551844.jpg (538 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
soul-plane-524ab06551844.jpg
538 KB, 1000x562
They should hire the director of pic related. He knows how to appeal to the black people.
>>
>>77380408
Don't act like it wouldn't happen.
>>
>>77382343
This so much. Black creators should ne limited to only creating content based on their skin color if no one else is.
>>
>>77380413
Especially since a Wakandan prince/king would have experiences closer to a priveledged white guy than a typical African or black American.
>>
>>77380498
>they want their director to direct what Feige and his committee have already decided the movie should be.
And now the committe is gone, so it's pure Feige.
>>
>>77382343
It's especially ridiculous when you're asking Americans to direct a film about a fucking king of an African nation because "all blacks are the same lol"
>>
>>77380498
Gunn seems to be the exception to this.
>>
>>77380580
James Earl Jones as T'chaka or I'm fucking out.
>>
>>77381949
Which would be racism.
>>
>>77382869

People are going to catch onto this and it's really going to bite Marvel in the ass.
>>
>>77382125
I'd rather have the movie be good and not paper-thin allegory.
>>
>>77381152
Get that lady who did Punisher War Zone. Shes a martial artist too
>>
>>77381949

Do we have to have a Greek woman directing Wonder Woman? All Black people are the same, all Women are the same. Such is the thinking at Marvel the "Progressive" company.
>>
>>77380365
But SJWs are nothing more than impotent bundles of emotions. All they can do is write angry shit on their blogs that only other SJWs will read or scream down the place but as far as actually doing something of consequence, they are spineless. They hold no real power or influence so why is Marvel so afraid of them?
>>
>>77383080
They've gotten people fired from their jobs.

But more importantly, Marvel wants their money and has not yet realized that outrage is their natural state.
>>
>>77383080
>SJWs cry rape/racism
>mainstream media runs it home
>>
>>77383136
>>77383138
Man it's a good thing SJWs are executed in my country to preserve the constructive and contributing social structure. Must suck in the states.
>>
>>77383136
But firing ppl because of public outrage has always been a thing.
>>
>Go after director who made a critically acclaimed biopic about a inspirational powerful leader
>Director who made highest grossing musical biopic
>Director successfully continuing a beloved franchise after a Sundance hit

what's wrong with any of these people ?
>>
>>77380498
Or, in the case of Wright:

>they want their director to get a movie made in under ten years

Vision and freedom is one thing, but when your movie is in development hell, and you're keeping other people from using characters (we could've gotten Wasp in Avengers instead of just Widow, for instance), somebody's got to crack the fucking whip. Fuck, he got hired to do Ant-Man before Iron Man.
>>
>>77383164
Nobody cares about your third world country, loser.
>>
>>77383193
They have vision and integrity.

Which is a no-go for Marvel.

It's like what happened to Age of Ultron and Ant-Man.

They need directors who will take their meddling like the tool that they are.
>>
>>77383230
This guy knows whats up. You dont throw a hissy fit and quit when the higher ups giving you money decide to include IP they own into a movie made from said IP
>>
>>77380532
>surprised that a website that regularly calls everyone a nigger and gets buttannihilated at minority heroes is racist

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>77383276
>implying the faults of the movie was meddling of the higher ups instead of quip whedon
>>
>>77380680
Almost like a black Adam Sandler except Sandler goes after retard whites and bring less religion into it.
>>
>>77383311
I thought we called everybody faggots?
>>
>>77383326
He said nothing of the movies' faults.

But it was decinitely why Whedon quit.

And IMO the movie suffered from the Thor subplot and reduced runtime.
>>
>>77383329
I haven't seen double nigger in a while that one always made me laugh
Oh shit typing that just made me laugh
>>
>>77383276
What happened with Ant-Man is because Wright decided to make two other films instead of finishing pre-production. And a lot of the stuff people liked in Ant-Man were additions from Peyton Reed.
>>
>>77381635
And yet the moment they got the Spidey rights back, they put BP and Captain Marvel on the back burner again. They never gave a damn about those characters, they just announced them so people would shut the fuck up about them.
>>
>>77381949
A: T'chala is a prince from a fictional african nation which has a rare cosmic material as the corner stone of it's wealth.
B: T'chala is a prince, from africa, and would have nothing in common with the generally low income Black Americans (there are rich blacks but they are, unsurprisingly a rarity in america due to various cultural and historical issues)
C: Being black does not automatically grant you insight into verisimilitude, pacing, plot juggling, or any number of important skills. It may grant you life experiences that will make your work different from another person's work.

TL;DR
there's literally no reason to have a black director or black writers for a black character. Talent isn't racial, it's personal.
>>
>>77379956
I'd turn it dow too tbqh family.
The whole "leader of a fictional nation set in a world that is otherwise like ours because who cares about actual african nations" screams of sublte comics racism.
And a black character needs a black director is even more racist.It's ot like a black director has any more insight into a fictional world than any other director. If it was a real place, like dunno, kenya or sudan then you could pick a director from that country, but as it isthis just screams of racism.
>>
>>77384305
>>77384305
>The whole "leader of a fictional nation set in a world that is otherwise like ours because who cares about actual african nations" screams of sublte comics racism.
It's more because there are no actual African nations remotely similar to Wakanda. Or any RL nations similar to it.

It's basically African Latveria.
>>
>>77384386
why are there no fictional american states? Because comics readers actually know about those. Making up a fictional african or eastern european country shows that you don't really know or care about it and are only using that continent for the exotic factor.

And another hilarious thing. If you need a black director for a film about a blakc character it also means that black directors can't direct films about white characters.
It's a shitty idea any way you look at it.
>>
>>77384464
DC and Marvel have fictional countries from pretty much every single continent.
>>
>>77384464
marvel and DC have fictional nations and cities in europe, asia, the middle east and africa. While they lack fictional states both companies have included fictional islands for the americas and other shenanigans.
>>
I don't understand why virtually all of the Countries in the Middle East has to be fictional. It would make it more relatable and realistic if they have atleast a couple of real ME Countries as cannon.
>>
>>77379956
Nigerian director soon, /co/.
>>
>>77385900
Will he ask for my bank account details so he can transfer some money to me throughout the movie?
>>
>>77385927
Nah, he'll give great interviews about how bananas US Americans are and will eventually replace all actors with other Nigerians just so that he can work with human beings rather than caricatures made flesh.
>>
Black-lead films are pretty much the only times black directors get to direct big-budget blockbusters. Guys like F.Gary Gray or the Hughes Brothers are pretty rare all things considered.

Also I get the basic idea of the "meritocracy" argument, but it's a load of hot shit. Hollywood doesn’t work on merit, even for white people. Brett Ratner and McG don't get work out of merit, and just because it's not done in the name of liberal pandering doesn't mean you argument isn't a double-standard.
>>
>>77379956
A black man making a movie for marvel is literally selling out. It's giving in to the forces that perpetuate racism everyday in mass media. They'll never be held in the same regard within the black community again because they're ultimately a marketing tool, not lending their directorial ability but the color of their skin.

So who's ready for Tyler Perry.
>>
>>77380365
Yet the character wasn't created by a black dude and it's not an american black dude either. American Black directors don't really have anything to do with the character other their skin color.

Demanding this is actually pretty fucking insensitive haha.
>>
>>77380862
Hey I love Black Panther and would watch the shit of a movie where they actually respected the character instead of pushing him as some weird "progressive" shit.
>>
>>77381036
I can think of one, Jimmy Olsen in the Supergirl series.
I'm not sure I lay the blame on the actor, his character is written very badly.
>>
>>77385812
Hell, DC's got multiple fictional cities across the US and everywhere else. (Metropolis, Gotham, etc.)
>>
>>77380056

A PG-13 Tarantino movie. . . that would be something
>>
Hey, ya know what would be real diverse? Letting a black director direct a film about a white xharacter and vice versa and the film not having anytjing to do with race.
>>
I think a lot of the frustration to some who are reading this thread is that almost none of you do recommend a black director for other films. You talk about how racist and insensitive it is to put a black director on a "black" film, but outside of that never make any fucking suggestions about what they could be doing. Ya'll don't suggest Antoine Fuqua for an Avengers movie or Steve McQueen for Aquaman. But you definitely will pop out of the woodwork to talk about how they shouldn't be in the running to do Black Panther, Cyborg or Luke Cage because "it's racist" or MUH MERITOCRACY.
So while many can sympathize with the view that they shouldn't be asking black people to only ever do "black" stuff. There's more than a few who are fed up with you seemingly not being in favor of black people getting jobs for almost anything else either.
>>
>>77382684
I feel for the lost voyagers forced to ride the Soul Plane for eternity.
>>
Who was it who said " they didn't need to hire a horse to direct Seabiscuit"? Cause it sure is applicable.
>>
>>77388073

>Antoine Fuqua

He's only good at doing R-rated movies.

>Steve McQueen

I would pay a bazillion dollerydoos to see him do anything vaguely commercial or Hollywood, that would be hilarious. It would be Lynch's Dune all over again.
>>
>>77388175
James Wan was only good at R-rated films until he was also good at making PG-13 movies that people would see. So that shouldn't rule out Fuqua.
I'm just saying people would be less invested in black people getting movies like Black Panther if more people would bring black people up for anything else. But they usually don't. They tend to only bring up how they should and shouldn't be doing stuff like Black Panther. Never Spider-Man. Never Captain Marvel. Not Die Hard or any movie that doesn't immediately deal with black history, black athletes, or typical hood crime bullshit.
So left with almost nothing else, a lot of folks would REALLY love to see a black person direct Black Panther.
>>
>>77388169
Anthony Mackie.
>>77388073
Wait why would they suggest a black director when they're against racial typecasting and why would they start a thread campaigning for Black Directors on Nonblack movies?
Also why would they take Aquaman from an Asian Director though he hasn't made anything good since ever?
Also has Antoine done anything good since Training Day? Equalizer was OK but everything else was boring or trash. And McQueen isn't a fit for Avengers
>>
>>77382183
It absolutely wasn't
>>
>>77388357
Because a black director might be best for the job. Or simply might be interesting to see on something outside of their wheelhouse.
I'd love to see Rick Famuyiwa do Baywatch for example. But his name will probably ever come up when people are talking about how he shouldn't be doing Cyborg or some shit.
And I didn't mean take Aquaman from an Asian director but before James Wan was chosen nobody was even suggesting any black directors. That's the problem, outside of "black" films nobody brings up black directors.
I wasn't trying to suggest perfect fits but people who aren't perfect fits are brought up all the fucking time for movies. So why are black people not brought up almost ever except in situations like the one in this thread?
I know it's not just because of racism. And I know it's not just because of meritocratic reasons. That's what makes it's so frustrating. It's something that's not close to being as simplistic as an SJW reason but is always reduced to one.
>>
>>77384464

They largely do it as to not to offend nationalities. If Age of Ultron took place in Belarus, then the Belarussians would get upset.
>>
>>77383034
>Do we have to have a Greek woman directing Wonder Woman?

She's from an utopian island somewhere in the ocean, not from a former ottoman colony.
>>
Funny thing is, even if they weren't being pursued largely due to race, they wouldn't have accepted a Marvel gig anyway. DuVernay had a critically acclaimed hit with Selma. Same with F. Gary Gray and Ryan Coogler with Straight Outta Compton and Fruitvale Station. All of them have built up respect in Hollywood and Marvel gigs are laughed at around auteur circles. So Marvel pursuing them is futile in and of itself when they're really just going to get (and with their system are probably better off with) TV director #4853 for their next generically safe blockbuster. It's embarrassing enough that people are starting to catch wind that real directors don't want to touch Marvel, but now there's the race element on top of it.
>>
>>77389238

>F Gary Gray
>auteur

I mean I love The Negotiator as much as everyone else, but he's no auteur. He's basically a perfect choice to direct a Marvel movie, guy's a solid studio worker.

And Fruitvale Station was garbage, but Creed is looking damn good so we'll see about Coogler.
>>
>>77388357
>Also why would they take Aquaman from an Asian Director though he hasn't made anything good since ever

James Wan attracts studios' attention because he's a very lucrative director; even before Furious 7 he took Saw and Insidious and turned movies with a meager $1-2 million budget and turned them into highly profitable franchises.

He's also a very technically proficient director with an eye for detail, I think he's a good choice for an underwater superhero movie
>>
>>77389418
>think he's a good choice for an underwater superhero movie
He's also predominantly a horror director and Aquaman has had a lot of horror elements in the past with unspeakable terrors in the dark depths of the ocean. A horror based capeflick would be a pretty unique entry at this time that would give Aquaman some good definition, especially since we haven't had anything like that since Hellboy.
>>
>>77389418

>He's also a very technically proficient director with an eye for detail

This x1000

Wan is one of the strongest technical directors working in Hollywood. Even the movies of his I'm not crazy on are always excellently-directed, he has an eye for horror and action that reminds me of some of the classic 70's/80's guys like Carpenter and Walter Hill.

I'm not saying he's on their exact level, but he's technically solid in a way you really don't see that often in modern Hollywood.
>>
Why does it have to have a black director?

Just focus on getting someone who can make a good BP movie ffs.
>>
>yfw every black director passes on this
What will they do then?
>>
>>77389861
Hire some guy nobody's ever heard of then have it ghost written.
>>
>>77389861

>implying they won't get the Hughes Brothers

They probably come real cheap at this point. For some reason Book Of Eli didn't make them big-name directors.
>>
>>77389917
Didn't they get tied up with Akira for a bit and after that end up attached to a string of different projects that never made it past greenlight?
>>
>>77389993

I remember that, they were one of many groups to be slain by the Akira dragon. The only thing either has one recently was that Mark Whalburger movie Broken City, which was an incredibly average but mildly entertaining noir.
>>
>>77379956
Mark my words, F. Gary Gray will be announced as the Black Panther director.
>>
>>77390268

He's too busy doing Fast & Furious 8: In Space.
>>
>>77390268
He already passed on it. He decided he wanted to do Fast and Furious 7 instead (kek).

Your words are marked. As stupid.
>>
>>77380056
That would be rad as FUCK
>>
>>77381125
He was better in Gone Girl than he has been in any of his TV shows.
>>
>>77390625

He's charismatic and not a bad actor.
>>
>>77390649
I agree. I just am disappointed that his movies and TV shows suck when he has so much potential.
>>
>>77388509
>Because a black director might be best for the job.

That might have been a good argument 3 choices ago. But when we end up getting the 4th or 5th choice for a black director, you can tell he's just there because he's black.
>>
>>77382001
People dislike it now because they're killing off the classics and stuffing a minority in the role.
>>
>movie about African
>desperately seek out African-American

Feige is retarded
>>
>>77390955
I'm talking about in general. Not just now. Situations like now seem to be the only time anyone feels the need to bring up black directors for any reason and I want to know why
>>
>>77380211
If anything it could end up more like Hank Pym. Shuffled off into a not even supporting character role while his worst/boring copycat gets all the movie fame.
>>
get mcgruder
>>
>>77382001
People dislike it now cause 1. they're blatantly pandering to the PC crowd. 2. Pushing minority and female characters without giving them a personality while ignoring established minority and female characters
>>
>>77388073
Fine, how about getting how getting John Singleton to do a Static Shock movie?
>>
>>77385838
Because the Middle East is a political powderkeg. Unless the story ignores politics completely, you're going to piss off a ton of people.
>>
>>77387213
A good way for Marvel to avoid the shitstorm would be to hire a black director for some other movie. Then they could get anybody to direct BP and could turn the racism cries around.
>>
File: 1406844120718.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1406844120718.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>77380133
More like these directors realize being picked for diversity on a movie that has a good chance of bombing is not a smart career choice.

Marvels call for black only directors is equivalent to every black superhero needing black in their name and electric related powers.
>>
>>77380176
Yeah, it looks pretty good
>>
>>77395929
If there's at least one black director that I'm fine with never getting work again it's John Singleton.
>>
>>77381956
>try to get the director that did Selma to direct black panther
>surprised when she doesn't want to direct popcorn blockbusters
though to be fair, I think a lot of that was people saying WE WANT HER TO DIRECT IT and both marvel and the director makign a formal shut down of it
>>
>>77381947
They should get someone that is just totally opposite to direct it
Like a aborigine or something
>>
>>77384464
countries in eastern europe and africa change so much that a new fictional country in those areas is believable
>>
>>77388073
The frustration, for me at least, is that they keep on trying to get serious directors to do their movies in a desperately transparent attempt to make their movies seem deeper than they will ever be.
Instead of trying to get a black director that really wants to do an action movie, they keep on getting drama directors who don't want to make a bland marvel movie
>>
>>77379956
>inb4 he signs on to direct Cyborg
>>
>>77397217
I can understand that. But only as of right now. A couple years ago they were courting the directors of stuff like Half Nelson for TWS. The idea of a Marvel movie being beneath someone who directed a prestige drama is a pretty recent occurrence. Even PTA loves superhero movies. Much of the first and second waves of superhero films of the 21st century were helmed by directors of well-loved/critically acclaimed dramatic work. The MCU diluted its own brand in phase 2. The general disdain toward all things DC and Sony hasn't helped matters. I sort of thing nobody up top was too aware of this until they started asking around. Now it's backfiring on them in the worst way.
>>
I remember when my private school arranged a photo op for their brochure, and they picked basically every non-white person in the school to be in it to show how 'diverse' it was

it was blatant as fuck, and it was still more dignified than this.
>>
>>77398647
what school is this lmao
>>
>>77379956
i'll do it marvel

>>77379956
>Marvel director gigs are worthless in Hollywood and any black director with a modicum of self respect won't sign on to be the (now) fourth choice in line
lol op you don't have to be mad they didn't pick your script lol
>>
File: Dredd.gif (1 MB, 800x361) Image search: [Google]
Dredd.gif
1 MB, 800x361
>>77379956
Just get a white guy, who gives a shit.

Like, just call Pete Travis, I'm sure he would do just fine
>>
>>77383612
Right, they committed to spending hundreds of millions of dollars on these projects just so people would shut the fuck up.

You're a brilliant business man.
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.