[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Straight from the horses' mouth people. Comic Retailers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8
File: 1438721879419.jpg (31 KB, 625x295) Image search: [Google]
1438721879419.jpg
31 KB, 625x295
Straight from the horses' mouth people. Comic Retailers on ANAD Marvel

http://sktchd.com/interview/retailers-talk-the-trials-and-tribulations-of-marvels-all-new-all-different-ordering-month/
>>
tl;dr?
>>
>>77364431
Angry customers are good customers, says Marvel.
>>
>>77364415
I wish someone would double check to see if this is true, because I really doubt people would waste that much money on something they hate, especially when you can find the comics online for free.
>>
>>77364442

Oh, okay.

Well that's dumb. I haven't bought a single Marvel comic this year.
>>
>>77364415
>The overall incentive variants this month are problematic. Sure, guys like Mile High and Midtown can afford to do this. But the average retailer? No chance! And the sad part is the blank covers. DC does this idea right…how many do you want? Marvel makes the blank covers part of their incentive program. The understandable part is Marvel having incentive-based variants for covers done by guys like Alex Ross, Skottie Young, Mike Mayhew, and many other superb talents. But blank covers? They are blank! Why make those incentive-based?
Holy shit, I didn't know this. Marvel are fucking thieves.
>>
>>77364462
>DC has a better pattern for variants and incentive levels required to get the privilege of order them. Retailers hold the keys here, smart ordering is the way to go. Variants are gravy, but sometimes you have to pass on the gravy.

Reminder that Marvel sells to retailers and that DC sells to readers.
>>
>>77364456
I wish you'd double check it since you're so interested.

Is it really that hard to believe? It's easier to believe that a multi-million-dollar industry is filled with abject morons that don't know business AND hate good comics? Of course it comes down to the bottom line, that's all any businessman ever cares about. You think if 'good' comics didn't sell better they wouldn't make them a priority and stop shoving shit everyone vocally hates down our throats?
>>
>>77364456
>I wish someone would double check to see if this is true, because I really doubt people would waste that much money on something they hate, especially when you can find the comics online for free.

It is.

When Marvel tried not doing an event for once, the Heroic Age, sales dropped off hard.

When Marvel does something loud, provocative, or unthinkable, they pull higher numbers.

The industry puts out hundreds of comics a month, improbable for one person to actually read everything, people tune it out like white noise and stick to what they like.

There's a large silent majority that doesn't care about on-goings and is only interested in events.
>>
>>77364492
>There's a large silent majority that doesn't care about on-goings and is only interested in events.

Ew.
>>
>>77364477
>Marvel sells to retailers and that DC sells to readers.

DC aint doing so hot these days.
>>
>>77364492
That is so unfortunate.
>>77364488
You need to calm the fuck down you little bitch.
>>
>>77364492
>When Marvel tried not doing an event for once, the Heroic Age, sales dropped off hard.

How hard?

>>77364504
>Gimmick Variants aren't incentivized
>No new #1s
>Facing off against Marvel who is somehow both in Event Mode and Relaunch Mode
>Could have had a chance for some easy money during DC You by relaunching 90% of their books but didn't
>>
>>77364504
They're doing as well as they've always been doing. But anyway, that's his point.
>>
>>77364505
I'm perfectly calm, anon. But you sound upset.
>>
>>77364488
>It's easier to believe that a multi-million-dollar industry is filled with abject morons that don't know business AND hate good comics?
Yeah, that's how the movie industry is. Movie goers will go see a REALLY shitty movie sometimes for laughs and they have low enough standards to like mediocre to bad movies as long as they follow formula. The difference is that after a certain point moviegoers will turn on you.
>>
>>77364550
The difference is that moviegoers will go see the same shitty movie at the cinema 5, 7 maybe even 10 times instead of trying something new.
>>
>>77364492
That's because the majority of buyers are aspies and dullards who only care about canon.
>>
>>77364550
They will? What point is that, anon? Transformers 4? You know - that worst part of a horrible movie series that somehow made the most money out of any other film in said series? You're defeating your own point.
>>
>>77364456
The problem is not the people who hate the book or the ones who pirate, those don't even buy the books they like. The problem is the rest of the people who find out about a book exists because these 'haters' won't shut up about it. These casuals then go to try the book and find out they actually like it, then they quietly keep buying and reading the product without anyone noticing while the internet is still drowning in a sea of rage bringing in more people.
>>
>>77364562
They usually start dropping off after 3 or 4 if the movies suck. See: Transformers, which is now being propped up by China because domestic audiences are finally sick of it.
>>
>>77364572
See
>>77364579
T4, like Terminator Genisys, wore thin and finally started breaking the normal market. The Chinese safety net is a relatively recent trend.
>>
>>77364590
T4 still made a ton of money, though. And moviegoers growing standards is also a recent trend. Maybe one day comicbook readers will also grow standards and stop buying shit and buy good stuff in bulk.

But that day hasn't come yet. So we'll keep getting fed shit until then.
>>
http://sktchd.com/longform/marvels-secret-problem-looking-at-how-its-eventful-present-could-be-impacting-its-future/

This one is about how ANAD is under performing
>>
>>77364674
Underperforming?
>>
>>77364704
Oh so it's not selling to the customers?
>>
>>77364504
Quality over dollar[/Spoiler] quantity.
>>
>>77364704
>>77364722
Under performing as in less people are buying ANAD books than LCS owners had expected/hoped

Really curious to see what the numbers are on ANAD books by issue 5 or 6
>>
This is plain business-speak where the company alters a definition of a word, in this case Marvel, considers any single purchaser to be a "fan" so they can manipulate the figures.

A fan is a loyal, ongiong customer, and a great long-term revenue stream for any company. If this definition were the one being used, they wouldn't keep having purchasing spikes every time they introduce a new controversy, since the core fans would be buying the comics anyway.

This is because the core fans now make up a small percentage of the customer base, when they used to make up the majority.

Marvel now has to prop up its ailing revenue by introducing controversies so that on-the-fence readers and SJWs buy a few issues to "see what's up". Once they get bored, the revenue plummets again, thus a new controversy must be introduced. Then they'll go the Syndrome route where nothing will be controversial because everything is controversial, and Marvel will be kicking themselves for killing off their loyal fanbase by insulting them with SJW crap and controversy.
>>
>>77364738
There's still a sizable chunck of unreadable DCYou Books like The Flash (Holy fuck how did this managed to get into Comic Vine's Recommendations for the Week every time it comes out?) and Wonder Woman, if not terrible then there's the averagely mediocre like NuBo, Green Lantern, and Teen Titans.
>>
>>77364573
Pretty much this. I wouldn't have gotten Sam Wilson: Captain America if I didn't see people raging about it. Then I read it to see what all the fuss was about, and ended up really liking the issue. Now it's on my pull list.

Likewise, I imagine those daily 500+ post rage threads about Jane!Thor we were having for a solid 5 months led to a lot of people who normally wouldn't give a single fuck about Thor checking it out. Same with Superior Spider-man.

Angry "fans" are the single best form of marketing. They're basically free shills. They'll spend all day every day doing nothing but advertising your book all over the internet and making sure everyone is aware how mad they are about it. Whereas normally, people wouldn't even know the book existed unless those same angry fans started raging.
>>
>>77364779
I don't think Green Lantern is on the same level as Teen Titans or NuBo. It has problems but I'm still interested in reading it from month to month while I dropped Flash and Wonderwoman immediately.
>>
>>77364803
eh I guess I give Venditti credits for how enjoyable his Black Mask is, I guess it's somewhere with Deathstroke (At the higher end of the mediocrity spectrum)

>>77364778
I was gonna say then what about DC, then I realized that I've barely seen a single complaint about "muh continuity" on FB Pages of Comic Book sites. It's either something like "Bring back the REAL Thor" or "Steve IS Captain America" or "Totally Awesome Hulk? How about Totally Shit Hulk?"
>>
>>77364573
so the sercet is to complain about books we like?

Man the Vision book is really sexist. oh look even a female robot omplains all the time and cries, women am I right?
Seriously? Is that the best they can do?
>>
>>77364779
>Holy fuck how did this managed to get into Comic Vine's Recommendations for the Week
Shilling.
>>
>>77364841
Sounds like a good idea desu.
>>77364847
But why THAT book specifically? Does the CV Admins owe Venditti or something?
>>
>>77364841
The secret is actually getting people to talk about it.

And that's the problem. No one is going to make a 500+ post full of people saying "This book is great" every two/three days. Likewise you are not going to convince people to stop complaining about a book they don't like (no matter if they read it or not). Just look at Bendis GotG. The DnA fans are doing all the work for Bendis. A year ago, barely anyone knew about Kitty Pryde's relation to the Guardians. By the time of July when the preview book came out, everyone predicted accurately that Kitty was the Quill's replacement.
>>
>>77364778
>Marvel will be kicking themselves for killing off their loyal fanbase by insulting them with SJW crap and controversy.

The loyal fanbase is aging out of the buying market, and those nasty, dirty, SJWs are the new paying audience for comics.

Worth remembering that the loyal fanbase like /co/ pirates comics.
>>
>>77364841
Look how that monster abuses his family! He left Eve high and dry with her kids!

Rabble rabble rabble!

Free Virginia 2015
>>
>>77364778
>A fan is a loyal, ongiong customer, and a great long-term revenue stream for any company
And yet the vast majority of people that consider themselves "fans" of Marvel and/or DC pirate almost exclusively.
>>
you could almost say......controversy creates cash
>>
>>77364415
OY VEY

IYS ANOTHA SHOAH
>>
>>77364431

Read you fucking mongoloid. It's what separates you from children and animals.
>>
>>77364904
How many Squirel Girl posts and storytimes has this board compared to say Valentine's excellent Catwoman run?
>>
>>77364415
holy kek, we have like 10 threads of salty dc fans everyday, will this ever end?
>>
Protips:
- there are people who buy books out of brand loyalty
- there are people who hateread comics
>>
>>77364841
No, see, you need to make it look like the "comic nerds" everyone else hates hate it.

Complain about how making a female version of the Vision is disgusting pandering or something.
>>
>>77365184
>salty Marvel fans
Read the thread.
>>
>>77364674
>“I have a customer who literally only buys X-Men comics. He only comes in about four times a year. He has a sub. We pile up his books and he comes in and buys all of his X-Men comics, and he came in two or three weeks ago and we handed him one comic book. He’s used to having about 50. And he was like, ‘what the hell is this?’” he said. “He was crestfallen and, I mean, he’ll come back one more time, but if things aren’t right next time, I could just tell he was thinking, ‘why am I doing this?’”
kek
>>
>>77364841
>so the sercet is to complain about books we like?
No the secret is that all that time you spend bitching about how much you hate Unbeatable Squirrel Girl could be better spent talking about how great Omega Men is.
>>
>>77365201
>implying these aren't dc fans whining about marvel

are you new here?
>>
File: tinfoil-hat.jpg (13 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat.jpg
13 KB, 178x178
>>77365267
>anyone who criticizes Marvel is a DCfag
>>
>>77365280
so you are new here.
>>
>>77365296
>>77365280
Oh, and those retailers complaining about ANAD? DC scum, all of them!
>>
>>77364674
>"Marvel has fundamentally better comics than DC does right now."
Shouldn't comic book shop owners actually have decent taste in comics?
>>
>>77364788
>Pretty much this. I wouldn't have gotten Sam Wilson: Captain America if I didn't see people raging about it. Then I read it to see what all the fuss was about, and ended up really liking the issue. Now it's on my pull list.
Part of the problem.
>>
>>77365307
Mark Waid has a comic shop; I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sell any DC product.

>>77365348
>there are people who buy things out of spite
I want to be a millionaire too ;_;
>>
File: 1400676035713.png (219 KB, 286x433) Image search: [Google]
1400676035713.png
219 KB, 286x433
>>77365185
I hateread only on /co/. Like with Worlds End and Earth-2 Society. I would never buy these but I want to keep up with it so I can explain my frustration with more detail.
>>
>>77364904
>The secret is actually getting people to talk about it.

Hard to get people talking postively about certain books on social media unless you push the minority or female aspects of said books.
>>
>>77365389
>I would never buy these
Heh, sure.
>>
>>77365364
>out of spite
I didn't buy it out of spite. People were bitching up a storm about it. Was originally not interested in it since Spencer's non-comedy books kinda fall flat, but after seeing all the threads bitching about the whole immigration thing, I pirated the issue to see what it was that was making everyone so pissed and liked the issue enough to add it to my pull list.

I realise the concept of actually enjoying comics is foreign to most neo-/co/mrades, but those of us that do care about the medium and the cape genre as more than just yet another reason to OUTRAGE! about insignificant shit are the ones that are buying comics.
>>
File: 0cea0737-0371-41ed-ba13-d3c20c.jpg (56 KB, 660x825) Image search: [Google]
0cea0737-0371-41ed-ba13-d3c20c.jpg
56 KB, 660x825
>>77365414
>I bought this to make fascists angry!
>>
>>77365433
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>77365125
Get off the internet Eric.
>>
Good news /co/, DC is hiring a PR person! You can finally put all your "DC's marketing is shit" knowledge to use!

http://www.warnerbroscareers.com/search-jobs/?149446BR
>>
>>77364573
This.
Haters are free advertising.

Of course praise would be better, but it's far harder to attain.
>>
>>77365433
So you didn't actually read his post, then? Good to know.
Fuckin L m8 the municipality of you.
>>
>>77365521
Thank fucking God.
>>
>>77365521
>/co/
>not doing it for free
>>
>>77365406
>implying I buy books I like let alone books I hate

The only ongoing I actually buy is Chew.
>>
>>77365587
>Imagay
>>
>>77365587
>Not riding Tom King's wild religion ride
Go buy Omega Men, shit's heating up.
And may Omega help you if you're trade waiting.
>>
>>77365143
Fuck, Brevoort was right.
>>
>>77365390
Never said anything about positive. I had no idea what the fuck is going on in Captain America and frankly didn't care until I read the 50th comment about how much their ass is blasted about Sam Wilson as Cap and now I'm interested.
>>
There's two threads a day complaining about ANADA. So it's probably going to do great in sales when it actually comes out.
>>
>>77366077
Eh. Most of the ANADA bitching threads are just general minority/female bitching threads that they use the cover to ANADA to start the threads off with.
>>
>>77366077
DC is slowly dying and DC fans feel the need to hate on Marvel even more. Nothing new to this board.
>>
>>77366077
>ANADA
>rhymes with "nada"
Uh-oh.

>>77366150
Nice company war, bro.
>>
>>77366162
i'm not the one provoking them with multiple threads every day senpai
>>
>>77364415
That's not how it works for me at all.
I only buy floppies VERY rarely.
The last time I picked any up were for AXIS carnage because it was too good to pass up.
>>
>>77366176
No, but you love to make anti-DC threads.
>>
>>77366150
>DC is slowly dying and DC fans feel the need to hate on Marvel even more
so DC fans are promoting Marvel even more
>>
File: 1411566265114.jpg (14 KB, 230x244) Image search: [Google]
1411566265114.jpg
14 KB, 230x244
>>77364456
>I really doubt people would waste that much money on something they hate, especially when you can find the comics online for free.
Says an anon on 4chan...
>>
>>77366197
No, actually it's Marvel shills that promote Marvel by passing as DC fans.
>>
>>77366189
>>77366189
>>77366189
meh, nobody really hates dc, it's just fun to troll angry dc fans
>>
>>77366150
>owned by Warner Brothers
>dying

At least put effort into bait
>>
>>77366246
>owned by WB

that's the more reason.

WB isn't as powerful as Disney or FOX anyway.
>>
>>77366234
>>77366266
>no caps
>no punctuation
You should work as an editor at Marvel.
>>
>>77364415
be angry fans who buy their comic's is better because it does not realize how bad are the stories

Do not be surprised when Marvel decided that Spiderman is actually Jewish and atheist or the X-Men are actually refugees Skrull one of the worlds destroyed by the Inhumans
>>
>>77366312
>the X-Men are actually refugees Skrull one of the worlds destroyed by the Inhumans
Nice reboot, Marvel.
>>
>>77366246
OK, read your sentence again, and think about it this time.
>>
Marvel is cooking the books. Making retailers buy comics they ordinarily would not buy. Isn't this what Mobsters do? How is this not illegal.
>>
Newsflash: it's 2015. Marvel does t want you, the pasty cis white male, as a fan. You are problematic, you've had your time and this is the age of Obama. They want little black girls and insecure tranny men. They want to be at the forefront of the political correctness movement

Just as with Star Wars, Disney is seeking to alienate the core demographic as much as possible to draw in a new diverse progressive group of fans in their place. They hate you for ideological reasons
>>
>>77367409
>you've had your time and this is the age of Obama

I want out of Obamas Republic of Hitlerstan
>>
>>77366150
Because co care more about how Good the comics are rather than how well it's selling. DC has a shitton Of problems, yet it still edges out ahead of all new all diversity marvel
>>
>>77367409
>it's 2015. Marvel does t want you, the pasty cis white male, as a fan
Sure they do. There entire business model revolves around pasty cis white men getting upset and shilling their products all over the internet.
>>
>marvel hates me as a cis white fan
>just torrent their shit to complain about it online
>only buy secret wars out of support for Hickman

Feels good man
>>
>>77365235
Poor lad, being forced to get taste.
>>
>>77367534
you forgot

>talk about the shit you hate everywhere
>unintentionally promoting it because others are interested in what the fury and hype is about
>>
>>77368881
Brevoort wins ago
>>
>>77367534
white patriarchy here. unless Hickman gets his artists putting shit out on time I won't bother supporting him anymore either.
>>
>>77364841
Yes. But the problem is the autists on this site don't know how to social media, or how to game reddit,so all their books end up dying.
>>
>“Something to consider – and I don’t know if this is true for in all stores everywhere but it is for my store – but the percentage of the people who are buying Marvel and DC superhero comics is at the lowest point it’s ever been in the history of my store,” he said.

Glad to see people getting taste.

Honestly, not to be anti-capeshit, but there's really no point in reading Marvel or DC right now. Marvel is just going full retard right now, and DC's books are (at best) just adequate. Neither company is producing anything "must-read" right now, besides maybe Tom King's now 4 books (Grayson, Vision, Omega Men, and his Vertigo book).

There's hardly any drive to read these books, in large part because they're just not worth the money.
>>
>>77365433
I want /pol/ to leave.
>>
>Brower: Challengers is not and never will be a variant store. Are we leaving money on the table by NOT marking up variants? Absolutely. If we DO qualify for variant covers, and by that I mean if we happen to qualify naturally without adding any extra to hit the particular threshold, we put the variants out on the shelf for cover price. We don’t treat comics as collectibles; we treat them as reading material. Yes, we do sell bags and boards and other supplies—if people want to protect their purchases they are more than welcome to, but we hate the idea of saying “THIS cover is worth more than THAT cover.” We treat all comics as equal. They only times we have ordered heavy is when we did store exclusive covers, and even those were sold at the books’ cover prices.

I wish I lived in Chicago.
>>
>>77364779
The thing is you really did list most of DC's problem books right there.
>>
>>77365521
Man I would so fucking do this if I had one of those majors.
>>
I ordered all my hip-hop variants from Midtown because I don't feel like paying 10-times the price at my LCS. Basically I love small businesses and go out of my way to support them for the most part, but in my experience most independent comic book shops can fuck right off.
>>
>>77364415
>>77364442
I guess that explains pic related.
>>
File: 1443457325187.png (176 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
1443457325187.png
176 KB, 424x318
>>77364415
>DC tries to suck up to fans
>sales tank
>Marvel tries to piss fans off as much as possible
>sales skyrocket

ME AM LIVE ON BIZARRO WORLD
>>
>>77365306
What is ANAD?
>>
File: Swamp Thing discovers 4chan.jpg (142 KB, 437x563) Image search: [Google]
Swamp Thing discovers 4chan.jpg
142 KB, 437x563
>>77364674
maybe now they realize movie casuals DON'T FUCKING BUY COMICS
>>
>>77364415
Sounds like /co/ as well. threads about good comics die right away, but ones about bad ones and outrage or whatever last for a week.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.