[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we get children interested in comic books again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14
File: tmp_1068-capkid-201380739.png (373 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1068-capkid-201380739.png
373 KB, 500x424
How do we get children interested in comic books again?
>>
Write fun capeshit instead of trying and failing to have a 2deep message or political/social commentary.
>>
Why do we need to? Comics now are garbage, they're better off playing video games.
>>
Probably only by making some good cartoons available online and then putting comics of those cartoons online too.

Waste of time mostly though. Comics aren't gonna be big again.
>>
>>77363048
/thread

Capeshit fucked right the hell up when it tried to stop being capeshit.
>>
Go back in time, murder the people who invented cable tv, the internet, and video games
>>
1) Publish more variety. Cape books are big in the US, but they are also not appealing to everyone.

2) Publish more kids books. The Big Two publish almost exclusively adult/teen books. None of the big hero titles are appropriate for children.

3) Put solid talent on the kid books. Writers who know how to write fun, engaging stories that don't cross the line. Artists who aren't fill-ins. When the kids' books are mostly phoned-in cartoon tie-ins, you've got a problem.
>>
>tfw younger sister wants to read a marvel comic with a female protagonist who isn't blatant womyn power

Shit like this alienates readers so bad.
>>
>>77363037
You don't, current comics are crap.
>>
>>77363102
That's the best you can come up with?

Why not propose to make them less crap? Do you want them to stay the way they are?
>>
>>77363037

Give them comic books. Where the fuck do you all live where kids never read or buy comics?
>>
File: 8332983342_d424c5bc3f_b.jpg (534 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
8332983342_d424c5bc3f_b.jpg
534 KB, 1024x683
How do we get children interested in marbles again?
>>
>remove the stigma of self contained stories
>stop writing for trade
>find ways to lower the cost of a book without damaging the quality
>put older comics that aren't relevant or popular enough to reprint out for free
>stop writing for tumblr
>stop fucking with characters kids will want to read so you can stir the pot and say you did something
>>
>>77363037
Make official Marvel webcomics with official marvel artists and everything. Physical copies of media stuff is dead

Or, if you wanna be an asshole, make movies/cartoons/TV shows/whatever, suddenly tell viewer to read the comics to find out what happens next.
>>
>>77363137
>making the books accessible outside of a hobby store
>>
Basically make anime illegal.

American animation and comics would prosper if all the kids weren't hooked on bug eyed garbage.
>>
>>77363128
stop banning them from schools?
>>
>>77363092
Ms Marvel. Blade's going to be written by Seeley, so that should be good, too.
>>
More fun, less various other things
>>
>>77363037
Put boobies in them.
>>
>>77363140
>Physical copies of media stuff is dead
You're an idiot.

> make movies/cartoons/TV shows/whatever, suddenly tell viewer to read the comics to find out what happens next
As evidenced by you thinking this wouldn't be a disastrous failure.

>>77363141
That's not a problem changing comics can solve.
>>
Kill MCU and DCEU off.
If characterjunkies can't get their fix from movies, they'll have to buy comics.
>>
Advertise the comics in the movies?
>>
>>77363120
Reality
>>
>>77363149
I think producing better content would help a lot more than banning anime, it shouldn't be hard since most anime is shit anyway.
>>
>>77363205
>he actually thinks having to waste time going to a store for comics is good

Next you're going to tell me you buy physical copies of movies, games, and books.
>>
>>77363120
Where the fuck do you live that kids actually read comic books? Keep in mind, that is plural.
>>
>>77363149
>Basically make anime illegal.
Fansubs and anime downloading are technically already illegal.
That has never stopped anyone, ever.
>>
>>77363037
Something genuinely new.
I'd honestly not want to start reading the big 2 today as a kid, they're just trying to please too many non-kids notably with this >>77363048

So make independant comics actually aimed at kids. Forget about the big 2. We're lost, don't let them fall down that drain.
>>
>>77363243
>most
*all
>>
>>77363149
Just make your own bug-eyed garbage. The French did.
>>
>>77363300
>The French
are subhumans and everything they make is shit.
Not exactly a worthy example to follow
>>
File: 1430767450526.jpg (175 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1430767450526.jpg
175 KB, 700x700
>>77363037
Ban all manga and webcomics and enforce that ban, which is doubtful.

Kids still read comics, it's what made people like Hussie and the PA guys comfortably wealthy. It's just not going to be in a place that frankly isn't particularly friendly to their generation.
>>
>>77363149
Most kids don't watch that shit either, so you're good
>>
I don't know, how do we get children interested in cable television again?

you can't
>>
>>77363048
>muh fun
Slott is "fun" Johns is "fun"
That'll only make things worse.
Might as well kill capeshit.
>>
File: Wally.png (28 KB, 320x223) Image search: [Google]
Wally.png
28 KB, 320x223
>>77363307
French kids actually read comics.
>>
Guys, kids don't give a shit about comics, or cartoons, or anything other than shitty phone videogames that are designed to be as addictive as crack cocaine.

But I'm really blaming piracy on this one. Ever wonder why they're pushing SJW shit all the time? Sheltered, rich, spoiled kids are probably the best shot they have at an audience that will buy the comics (and they still don't).
>>
>>77363336
French kids are also non-white and retarded.
>>
>>77363048
Ewing has you covered senpai
>>
>>77363037
Start a war
>>
File: marvel secrets.jpg (361 KB, 1280x1967) Image search: [Google]
marvel secrets.jpg
361 KB, 1280x1967
Have your kids reading comics as they grow up.
Also, raise him to be athletic.
Also also, teach him the art of being cool.

So you raised a kid who likes comics, is popular at school, who will influence 20-40 other kids to read comics.

If everyone in /co/ raised a kid like this Marvel comics will be on the New York Times best selling book list every month within a generation.
>>
>>77363372
>/co/
>knowing how to be cool
C'mon man
>>
>>77363372
Fuck what Fury says; I refuse to believe that anything said on this page isn't canon.
>>
>>77363348
So are American kids, what the hell is your point?
>>
I have a 6-year-old niece.

Both my brother and I love comics,a dn she's been reading since forever.

You know what she loves reading? All the shit /co/ hates: Adventure Time, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, the new femThor, Rocket Raccoon.

Also the usual family-friendly stuffs like Tiny Titans, Dr.Ninja, Donald Duck, etc.

Talking exclusively for young girls: Comics with female MC help a lot with self-identifying.

That's why I don't give a shit every time there's a new Whor thread. My niece smiles every time she reads that comic, and it got her to exercise more to "get as strong as Thor". That makes femThor OK in my book.
>>
>>77363549
You know, you've got the right idea.

I'll start calling my wife's daughter my niece too. She loves Ultimate Spider-Man since she's mixed race and it makes her feel better about herself.
>>
>>77363037
Film people reading comic books on Youtube so kids can watch them flip pages and claim that they read the books themselves.
>>
>>77363066
>implying current video games arent worst
>>77363037
marketing.
>>77363078
kids read manga on the internet,i guess they just prefer the action,crazy japanses and how its weekly.
>>
>>77363549
you've tainted the female with bad ideologies and exposed it to poor dialogue.

expect a two toned dye job tumblrite in 6 years
>>
>>77363549
>adventure time
>miss marvel
no problem with that really.as for the rest:its bad but older she'll realize it.
>>
>>77363637
>women
>realising things they like are bad
KEK
>>
>>77363637
She'll have undergone sexual reassignment by the time she realizes it.
>>
Molest them ? I know that my friend used comics as an escape from all the unwelcome advances from his uncle. In comics people like that are punished and your mother doesn't hit you for saying stuff about it to the family and tells the officers that shows up to the house that you make those false claims all the time. Since any of those claims being true would out her as a bad person to the community she so desperately garners for attention and praise.
>>
>>77363037
Make them affordable for a kid like they use to
>>
>>77363048
>>
>>77363565
She'd be your step-daughter. Or even just daughter. Why would you call her your niece?
>>
>>77363733
To hide the shame, obviously.
>>
some of marvel best stuff
>>
>>77363805
meant to reply to>>77363731
>>
>>77363037
They won't in the current state of the American comics industry.
Anyone interested in comics as entertainment can find thousands of manga for free online, either fully archived or releasing weekly, with a hell of a lot more variety and easier barriers of entry. There's no motivation for them to try and jump into the Big 2 universes or tracking down non-cape comics with little exposure, and it's much harder to find those outside of actually buying the books.

Webcomics have also been rising as a viable outlet for decent western comics now that we're seeing more original stuff as less Two Gamers On A Couch.
>>
>>77363886
At least we have millions of the fucking things to sift through when the industry dies.

For a struggling market it's oversaturated as fuck.
>>
>>77363037
We don't. That ship has sailed.
>>
>>77363549
/co/ likes ms marvel.
>>
>>77363037
Comics have no place for children because market is over-saturated with retarded cartoons and quip-fest movies and these are much more easy to comprehend as comic books require more attention span.
>>
>>77363549
It's true. My friend's sister is 14 and got interested on Guardians of the Galaxy not because of the movie but because his brother (my friend) and I told her Kitty Pryde was a main character on Star-Lord.
>>
Interactive comics. Kids these days want to feel special snowflakes. They need to be part of shit.
>>
File: what are you doing.png (186 KB, 500x468) Image search: [Google]
what are you doing.png
186 KB, 500x468
>>77363549
> She's happy when I expose her to horrible shit, so that is OK
>>
Who here was interested in comics as a kid? I read mostly Donald Duck books but that's it, I didn't get seriously into them before high school.
>>
>>77364682
I used to read the Amazing Spider-Man for a while
>>
>>77364682
I think the first comic book outside of Captain Underpants that I read was Rave Master
>>
>>77363549
Tell your niece she is a fucking pleb
>>
>>77363549
>>77363637 gets it. Problems not identification but bad dialogue/plot being passed. femThor is a cluster but Squirrel is fine for first reads. Dunno about the rest.
>>
>>77364731
Kids seem to get easier into manga. I don't blame them, to be honest lot of comics are just too boring to kids. Manga relies a lot on visuals and tends to have very little dialogue while for example cape comics have these huge walls of texts.
>>
Raina Telgemeier has sold millions of books

Yeah, but kids don't read comics because theyre not reading Batman Eternal and Secret Wars, right (even though there actually are some kids reading those too)?
>>
File: 1440785222871.jpg (19 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1440785222871.jpg
19 KB, 320x320
>>77363037
MKT the shit out of the tier 1 heroes like IM or Hulk when a movie release.
Or put some comics into the BD release

you gotta work this shit slowly, just like fingering your mom's pussy
>>
>>77364769
You nailed it, the middle grade comic scene in the Us is reviving but it's not DC/Marvel.

Scholastics has its own comic line, Graphix, that does pretty okay but in general there's a whole new kind of sequential art for that age group. Those half comic, half diary books like Dork Diaries and Diary of a Wimpy Kid do very well. If you expand your thinking on what constitutes a comic, kids haven't been reading this much in a long time. There's a lot on The market right now where you have books for an older child audience that are illustration driven, not like a traditional picture book 10-12 pages long but ones where it's a paperback with the drawings driving the plot rather than being used for simply illustrative purposes.
>>
>>77364682
I read a lot Batman and Superman comics in elementary school, stopped around middle school, and came back into it my senior year of high school, around the time hush came out.
>>
File: captain nazi.jpg (788 KB, 1428x1988) Image search: [Google]
captain nazi.jpg
788 KB, 1428x1988
>>77363216
movies and cartoons are mostly how batman and spiderman stayed so popular; heck its even why iron man despite being an anti-hero became A-tier famous but at the same time how superman is now treated like shit because of MoS.if the industry want people to buy their stuff make movies and cartoons showing them off with respect for them.i forgot about captain marvel until the brave and the bold.bless that cartoon
>>
Give them subscriptions on their phones/tablets

Next generation will be more digital than ever, read some comics with them on a tablet and see if it sticks.
>>
>>77364682
Growing up in Bongistan, I read more humour comics than cape comics when I was younger, I've gotten more into other genres aside humour and cape comics as I've gotten older though
>>
>>77364682
I was super-interested in comics, but I was a 90s kid, and all that really competed for my attention at home was a Sega Genesis and cartoons, many of my favorite ones being based on comic books that I hadn't read. I feel like mine was the last generation to not grow up with the internet, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

But I didn't have any reliable way of getting the comic books; the closest thing I ever had to an LCS was when the drug store down the block, and that only had a comic rack long enough for me to get the first 7 or so issues of Kurt Busiek's Iron Man. Most of my comics as a child were sought out at garage sales, or hand-me-downs - I once lucked out when the tech guy who fixed my mom's computer gave me a longbox of old Spideys (mostly reprints, but still), along with some post-Clone Saga 90s shit. But I noticed the 90s stuff was all labeled DIRECT DISTRIBUTION ONLY, and I wondered what that meant... I was pretty pissed off when I learned it meant "this comic can only come to Licensed Comic Book Distributors and never, ever ever, no matter what forever, be sold on anything as low as a NEWSTAND or MAGAZINE RACK"

So basically, Diamond really fucked the Golden Goose very nearly to death. The speculator bubble they were all so dependent on burst, and suddenly, just as comics were primed to reach peak media saturation (remember the unmade 90s Spidey, Iron Man and even Superman movies?), the bottom fell out from their business model.
>>
>>77366220
But as a kid, I found the older comics in my collection were my favorite ones - the old Spideys, or my old FF Pocket Books paperback. So yeah, trying to make comics "NOT FOR KIDS ANYMORE!" really didn't help. I didn't mind Batman or Daredevil going dark, but it felt forced to me when it happened in Spidey. Also, there was the issue that because I had no reliable source of comics, and even when I did, not very much of a selection, I would be super-pissed when I found out a story was continued... in the next issue of a book that my drug store/grocery store/whatever didn't carry. And, of course, jumping into the middle of stories and not being able to find back-issues was a pain, but at least they had these big fold-out introdump pages on the reverse side of Marvel covers that was a breakdown of the basic premise, a summary of the plot so far, and a character roster with little write-ups for everyone. Do they still do that, cuz it seems so obvious and helpful?
>>
>>77364682
I liked superheroes and watched Justice League but I didn't read comics until high school.
>>
Self contained stories with goofy characters out of continuity
You cannot make cape comics as they are appeal to all ages when they haven't had kids as the primary demographic since the late 70s and it's tied down with too much bullshit
>>
>>77363549
Things that don't exist for 600$
>>
>>77364682
vaguely but then i mostly read Bone,calvin and hobbe,peanuts and some books like medusine titeuf,gaston la gaffe,spirou,tintin, and other europeans stuff growing up didnt cameback to comics until i was 18.
>>
>>77363549
We make fun of those books because they have fans that are older than 6 despite the terrible writing
>>
>>77363048
>implying the golden age didn't happen because comics pushed boundaries
>implying that anyone would have been excited by popular media that stayed inside a comfort zone of what was considered harmless "fun" back then
>implying old comics didn't have subtext
>implying political and social boundaries aren't the only reliable boundaries left to push
>>
>>77364682
As a dirty millennial with little money (and the money i spent i spent on vidya, which a much better use of money for a kid) I grew up on webcomics, pirated mangas, and whatever the library had and it wasn't until high school that I started really being picky about what I read.
I blame comics only being in comics shops and being generally hard to enter (no windows, or windows that were there were plastered with posters so you couldn't see inside, so they were more like fortresses than shops)
Now I buy trades and such, but floppies are way too over priced and for the same money I can get media that can last longer
>>
>>77366874
This guy gets it.
There are lots of things they can do to widen their fan base and fix their distribution model but they will never sell a million copies per issue again unless they can find a way to drop the price back down to the cost of a candy bar.
>>
>>77364682
I read all kinds of comics when I was young.
Tintin
Asterix
Classics Illustrated (those top three basically courtesy of my dad)
Peanuts
The Far Side
Hell, I even read the funnies section in the Sunday paper.
I also read a bunch at the library as well, like Bone, The Arrival and the odd cape book they had there. That'.s how I got into webcomics, actually...our library had the print version of Gunnerkrigg Court.
>>
>>77368004
Oh, yeah, I also read the Bionicle comics, which were the only real monthly floppies I got since they were free.
And I did read the Exo-Force comic as well. Which was my gateway drug into manga, actually...

But yeah, never really was into capeshit.
>>
>>77363128
Have them read the comic Marble Season by Gilbert Hernandez.
>>
File: this will be bad.jpg (32 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
this will be bad.jpg
32 KB, 493x342
>>77363361
>Ewing
>>
>>77364682
Started reading comics when I was around 7 or 8. I could only buy comics from the flea market and they were just back issues of X-Men comics from the 80-90s. The first comics I ever read was What If Legion Killed Magneto? and one of the comics based on the show.
>>
File: direct vs newsstand.jpg (139 KB, 762x543) Image search: [Google]
direct vs newsstand.jpg
139 KB, 762x543
>>77366220
>But I noticed the 90s stuff was all labeled DIRECT DISTRIBUTION ONLY, and I wondered what that meant... I was pretty pissed off when I learned it meant "this comic can only come to Licensed Comic Book Distributors and never, ever ever, no matter what forever, be sold on anything as low as a NEWSTAND or MAGAZINE RACK"

What in the fuck are you talking about?

"Direct Market" often means that THAT VERSION of the comic was for direct market only. That didn't always mean the comic wasn't on the newsstand. Sure, there were comics that weren't sold on the newsstand like 90's Moon Knight or whatever, but that was because they were niche. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, X-Men, and the other big hitters were still on the newsstands.

The only difference between direct and newsstand in the 90's at the time was the UPC as seen in this image (and during 1994 to like 1996 or something, the paper quality; direct had glossy, newsstand had newsprint then they ditched glossy).

The newsstand versions don't have "Direct Market" on the UPC. Look, maybe around your area supermarkets and 7-11s ditched comics (and a lot of them did during the 90's) so you weren't aware of newsstand editions, but really, blame Diamond for what they deserved to be blamed for. They don't have any influence over the newsstand market.
>>
File: 1446327181167.png (308 KB, 405x553) Image search: [Google]
1446327181167.png
308 KB, 405x553
Honestly, it's hard to get a kid to want to drop $4 on an issue that'll probably be right in the middle of a story.

Most people that'll try to get into comics will usually use a trade paperback these days, right? And those are like $20.

Why would a kid drop that kind of money on comics instead of video games or movies?

Fact of the matter is, compared to the Golden Age and Silver Age when they selling near a million on the regular, these days kids and teenagers have a lot more entertainment catering to them. Cable channels and streaming services, video games promising hours of entertainment, including multiplayer they can play with their friends.

That and where the fuck do you buy comic books besides a bookstore or comic book stores? It's not like they're giving out comic books with movie tickets.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.