[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: spirit animal.png (81 KB, 710x1115) Image search: [Google]
spirit animal.png
81 KB, 710x1115
>>
>>77359162

>spirit animal
>christian

I think the joke is the writer doesn't understand different religions.
>>
>>77359162

I think the joke is that...

Um...

Christians are sheep who blindly follow stuff? Or, uh, "we're different" is ironic because to be a sheep is to conform to a mass belief. Or something.
>>
We're different, although there are 2.2 billion of us
>>
>Implying there's something wrong with an animal with like 4 uses
>>
File: 1441069810049.jpg (1 MB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
1441069810049.jpg
1 MB, 1536x1152
>>77359199
It's either a pro christian comic that says that Christians are okay with identifying with a lame animal because of the things it represents, or an anti christian comic that is mocking them for being lame and uninspired?

Who knows, atheist and Christian comics are the same kind of retarded
>>
>>77359162
Christians identify themselves with sheep, with Jesus as their shepherd. They ALSO sometimes associate Jesus himself with a lamb.
>>
>>77359232
I was thinking it was like how Christians say they're part of Jesus's flock or whatever, instead of claiming to be some badass ferocious animal like the other kids, and the irony is coming from the fact that they ARE sheep because they conform to whatever the preacher says.
>>
>>77359199
Many "Christians" have no problem with mixing their religion with new age bullshit because they never opened bible.

>>77359232
Christians are sheep and proud. It's a big part of their iconography. Their priests are even refereed to as shepherds.
>>
What is it because jesus is suppose to be a shepherd to christians or something?
I don't i haven't gone to church in decades.
>>
Being a sheep who allows oneself to be shepherded by the Word of God (as personified by Jesus) is recurring symbology used to teach Christianity to children. In fact that's probably where the connotation of sheep personifying those who blindly follow came from. Either in a pro-Christian way (suggesting that those are the ones who never rose above the interpretation of Christianity as made digestible by children) or in an anti-Christian way (suggesting that Christians are ones who blindly follow traditionalist doctrines).
>>
File: m'last raven.jpg (85 KB, 695x496) Image search: [Google]
m'last raven.jpg
85 KB, 695x496
>mocks christians
>believes in spirit animals

wew lad
>>
>>77359282

If you replace every part of a boat before returning to shore, is it still the same boat that left?
>>
>>77359199

Is the author a jap?

They are generally hilariously ignorant of western faiths.
>>
>>77359348
If ship's register says so.
>>
>>77359162
The joke is that Jesus is the shepherd and the Christian fully embraces his nature, in contrast to the others choosing powerful, more "typically" chosen animals.
>>
File: unUtRoQ.jpg (236 KB, 500x713) Image search: [Google]
unUtRoQ.jpg
236 KB, 500x713
>>77359262
praise be to he who resides outside heaven
>>
>>77359282
>Christians are sheep and proud. It's a big part of their iconography. Their priests are even refereed to as shepherds.

Because a big part of being a Christian is acknowledging that human nature is kind of shitty and that we can't do everything on our own.

>>77359282
>Many "Christians" have no problem with mixing their religion with new age bullshit because they never opened bible.

For a good example of how to crossover western theology and eastern thought, check out Thomas Merton. Wrote some really cool shit and actually served as a ecumenical liaison between the Catholic Church and Buddhists before he died.
>>
>>77359287
Jesus is often called the Lamb of God.

Hmm, but he's also referred to as a shepherd...

Kif, we have a conundrum.
>>
>>77359384

Yep. From the looks of it the comic is just a small little observation. Don't look too deep into it, and don't look for any hidden insult.
>>
>>77359254
aren't these the guys who got btfo by the king of france
>>
>>77359401
>I'm already a demon
>>
>>77359421

He is also both the sacrifice offered and the high priest and mediator that offers it.
>>
this should teach you everything you need to know
https://vimeo.com/12836360
>>
>>77359409
Thomas Merton is incredibly based, actually. Love his books. It's fascinating to me how some people have so much devotion to God, that he's torn between becoming a hermit and continuing with his writings. The idea of becoming a monk at all is terrifying to me, I don't have nearly the power of will for it.
>>
>>77359421
He's also himself, his own father, and some vague all-creation embodiment.

Judeo-chrisendom is the schitzophrenic result of a pantheistic religion, pruning itself down to it's god of war, assigning him all good traits, then a major cult establishing itself as a real religion, and Inventing both a psudotrinity AND an anti-god.
>>
>>77359485
>psuedotrinity
why are you afraid to call it an actual trinity? Because you don't understand it?

>anti-god
a fallen angel is no god, and has no power over anyone who has been baptized.

It sounds to me like you took a religion class your Freshman year in college, and grew up around protestants.
>>
>>77359485

Look I just posted about this the other night, but there's quite a bit of historical documentation and writings that explain the rationale for how Trinitarian theology ended up the way it did. You really should read the early Church leaders in their own words rather than this silly historical revisionism.

I mean, Irenaeus , Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Origen, all of then writing from within one or two generations of Jesus and the apostles, which is pretty fucking contemporary by most historical standards.
>>
No, this comic's pretty straightforward. I'd say it's portraying Christianity positively, but perhaps that's my own bias towards the faith showing.

>Other people identify (erroneously) with animals that are what the world consider 'awesome'. They tear other animals apart, they're majestic looking, and represent independence (and/or rulership over others).
>Christians (are supposed to) identify with a vulnerable, meek, humble creature that's defined by it's relationship with it's leader and has more peaceful uses than violent ones.

Maybe I'm wrong though, or just looking at this too hard.
>>
>>77359562
It sounds to me that you're actually convinced that this stuff is real beyond all reason.

>It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense as long as you UNDERSTAND it

Like okay.
>>
>>77359613
sheep are also very important animals to humans as opposed to the other shits were saying
sheep provides milk, wool, meat, and to some brown people a fleshlight
>>
>>77359613
Christianity is a religion of slaves and it shows.

> I'd say it's portraying Christianity positively, but perhaps that's my own bias towards the faith showing.
What you described is a very odd thing to take pride in.
>>
>>77359674
>Christianity is a religion of slaves
i think you mean jews
>>
Wasn't there some Christian comic some anon used to storytime every Sunday, and it was actually pretty good?
>>
>>77359562
I'll conceed the trinity bit. Never thought of it as a word similar to unity. Which makes the whole 3-but-1 thing make sense.

The Devil is attributed all bad things, god is generally attributed all good things. The more refined version being Satan tempts, god punishes.

Which is why the average Christian understanding of their religion is so easily debunked. The problem of evil and all that.

Hell, that gave rise to a version that sees the creator impulse as the evil one. Which solves a lot of things, as well as the problem of evil.

But doesn't explain why such a deity would want the lay people to better themselves.

Which leads back to Godliness being the lack of sin, and hell simply being a state of not being with god, thus why this world is the worst of all possible worlds.
>>
>>77359336
>In fact that's probably where the connotation of sheep personifying those who blindly follow came from.
This is stupid. Sheep are blind followers. It has nothing to do with Chrisanity imposing their own ethics on sheep. Sheep will literally follow each other in a circle forever if you set it up properly because they just follow the asshole in front of them (literally).

This is just how they are. Docile pack mentality is what breeds this. They have no natural leaders amongst their own like a pack of wolves might. No one to naturally assert leadership.
>>
>>77359674
>Christianity is a religion of slaves

Biting, but not entirely wrong. And as for the matter of pride, it's not an ideology a person takes on out of pride. It's more a recognition of our inherent flaws, our brokenness as people. We choose God, and the man we interpret to be messiah, as out guide to a better life (and perhaps a better thereafter, but we can't be entirely certain).

Hence, sheep.
>>
>>77359778
>Which is why the average Christian understanding of their religion is so easily debunked. The problem of evil and all that.

I'll admit one of the most common objections to Christianity is the Problem of Evil, but I wouldn't say it "debunks" it, theologians have acknowledged the conflict for pretty much Christianity's entire existence and there's a few different branches of thought in how to account for it.

>Which leads back to Godliness being the lack of sin, and hell simply being a state of not being with god, thus why this world is the worst of all possible worlds.

But anon, that's the perception part of it. God freely gives of him, here on earth we can choose to take it and be changed by that grace, or not. I'm by no means a proponent of the "empty hell" idea (that God doesn't want anyone to be damned so everyone makes it to heaven through purgatory eventually), but I do believe that hell is of our own making.
>>
This probably isn't the best outlet, but I just want to say something regarding Christianity. You probably all know it from its dogmatism and its traditionalism, but for the longest period of time- until deconstructionism and multiculturalism really took root- it was taken as the common language between Western philosophies. And many of the greatest philosophical and ontological advancements of the modern ages have been through the lens of Christianity- from Augustine to Darwin to Nietzsche.

The latter identified that one of the greatest opponents of advancement had its seeds in Plato and was merely adopted by the Church: the idea of unassailable theoretical and pre-existing ideals, echoed in the Christian ideals of divine right.

But the point I'm trying to make is: if any of you truly wish to know all that we have learned and not merely where we are, then it is important that you do not view Christianity as a conspiracy towards unfalsifiable dogmatism (which it has never been until the modern age, even when Galileo was sentenced into isolation). Because for the past two thousand years it has been an avenue towards discovery.

Maybe just one will appreciate just a sentence.
>>
>>77359808
Being a creature that exists to be shaven by some asshole and then butchered once it outlives its usefulness as a wool factory doesn't seem very appealing, admitting flaws or not.

You valorize your slavery and have no interest or aspiration to raise above it. It's pride.
>>
>>77359818
> hell is of our own making.
In the symbolic sense or in the Dogma sense where Hell was cold dark and empty and Humanity's self-loathing and need for pain and punishment corrupted it into the popular form of Hell.
>>
>>77359808
better than the fuck heads who believe they are better than what they really are, thinking they have no flaws.
>>
>>77359864
>even when Galileo was sentenced into isolation

Which was mostly Vatican politics and Galileo's discoveries being pushed by one side without what was expected to be full evidence in order to make a point, and the rest of the Church leadership punishing him via proxy as a result.

Still a pretty shoddy state of affairs, but not a single-minded "durr hurr science is evil, we must stop it!" martyrdom that it gets spun as today.

Thanks for that post though, it's kind of strange how far our society has moved away from the context of Judeo-Christian thought, and yet still tries to bulwark the ethical and moral structure that grew out of those inherently Christian assumptions about the universe and human dignity.
>>
>>77359232
Christians actively embrace metaphors of the priest as a "pastor" or shepherd, and the congregation as a "flock".
>>
>>77359881

I mean it in the sense that people who refuse God and the grace provided by him, and wish to live apart from it get exactly what they want.
>>
>>77359304
Hence why its so easy to target Christians, who aren't going to take you to court or suicide bomb you for speaking ill of their faith.

They just say they'd like you to stop, and when you continue they shrug and go on their way.
>>
>>77359945

And at the very worst they'll pray for you.
>>
>>77359162
It represents the 4 gospels. Matthew is represented by the shark, Mark is the Lion, Luke is the Sheep and John is the eagle. It's a very old iconographic trope.
>>
File: 1356134609703.gif (487 KB, 500x254) Image search: [Google]
1356134609703.gif
487 KB, 500x254
>>77359972
>>
>>77359880
It's not meant to be appealing, anon. There are times I'd rather be a grizzly bear. But there is truth about the human condition in the Christian interpretation of things. A person is weak on their own, and headed towards ruin without some guidance.

Theres some small valor in admitting that, but given what you're admitting in the first place, pride has no place.
>>
>>77359972
underrated post
>>
>>77359162
What are some wholesome Christian comics? Also, who's the best Christian super hero and why is it Daredevil?
>>
>>77360080
>>What are some wholesome Christian comics?
Serenity. Wait for christmas and someone will probably storytime it.
>>
>>77360080

For one of the best takes on the Problem of Evil I've seen in popular media, check out Ostrander's Spectre run.
>>
>>77359972

That's just Led Zeppelin I think. Common mistake.
>>
>>77360080

Hellboy. Lots of Catholic iconography involved with the series.
>>
>>77360080
Isnt he a Catholic tho
>>
>>77360080

A strange one is Chester Brown's retelling of Bible stories and stuff. Goes into strange Gnostic stories as well. Very good.
>>
File: 1317761885286.jpg (160 KB, 535x437) Image search: [Google]
1317761885286.jpg
160 KB, 535x437
>>77360112
>implying Catholics aren't Christians
>>
>>77360080
Nightcrawler is the best

Besides the dumb shit like being set up as a demonic pope because reasons
>>
>Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.

There, two more animals Christians can connect too except they shouldn't since a belief in spirit animals is pagan self-idolatry !
>>
>>77359162
Why is it okay to make fun of Christians but not Muslims?
>>
>>77360168
Because Christians are peaceful... until they're not

>>77360151
I keep forgetting that a lot of the US is protestant
>>
>>77360214

Yeah, Catholics are still the biggest single denomination, but most of the population is growing in poorer areas of the world like Latin America, and decreasing or stagnating in developed areas like Western Europe and the United States.
>>
>>77360151
It's a different flavor and some people go nuts over it. I mean look at Ireland or the KKK they'll Catholics regardless of there color.
>>
>>77360089
>>77360091
>>77360104
>>77360130
They sound great. Thanks for tips.
>>77360162
I also love Nightclrawler. One of my favorite mutants.
>>77360168
Because, Anon, most Christians are usually peaceful and don't resort to violence if others make up fun of their beliefs. Also, many say "muh freedom of speech" but go full hypocrite when dealing with Muslims.
>>
>>77360269
That just sounds like an overall trend rather than a religious one

dumb Poor people have kids, reasonably smart people of middling means do not
>>
>>77360286

Fun fact, my dad comes from a very small midwestern town that was founded originally by German Catholic immigrants. They bought some land to build a town, and all the other settlements around the area were all Protestants. So naturally the Protestants were all suspicious as fuck of these foreign outsiders with their weird papist beliefs. One year they got the pipe organ in the church repaired, and when some people from the other towns saw the wagon that was hauling the pipes back to the church, they thought the pipes were cannons and nearly mustered a militia to go fight them.
>>
>>77359162
None of those faggots look remotely capable of being compared to peak predators like Great White Sharks, Lions, or Golden Eagles.
>>
>>77360317
>dumb poor people have kids

Or Catholics.

My dad's the youngest of eleven kids. Thanksgivings with his side of the family was fucking awesome.
>>
>>77360269
I was raised Catholic but honestly I'm more of an agnostic. I go to church during Christmas and Easter, but that's mainly for my parents I just can't believe in eternal hell. The only concept of Hell that makes sense to me is like the Buddhist hell where you cleans your soul. But I do try to follow a lot of the teachings of the bible. You know try not to be a jack ass, agree with the Ten comments try to be the bigger man and treat other nice.
>>
>>77360352

Honestly that describes pretty closely where I was up until about four years ago when I started taking religious studies courses at the university and for the first time people held me accountable for my Christian faith. The more I started to read up on Catholic theology and history the interested and involved I got with it. Even started going to mass and confession again.

I find one of the things that disappoints me the most is when I talk to people who leave the church over personal issues or problems with specific parishes or priests. People who represent the faith to others should be better than that at demonstrating Christ's love for the rest of the world.
>>
>>77360330
I believe it, I'll never forget the time some Jehovah's Witness came to my house and asked if we wanted to know the truth. I told them no thanks we're catholic, then gave them a heads up this is a no soliciting neighborhood. They mumbled something about me going to hell and gave a look of shock they didn't listen and our neighbors yelled when they went over there and called the cops.
>>
>>77360430

I remember one time at college I got stopped by a weird hippy shoeless dude on the street as I was walking to the bank to cash a paycheck, who tried to hand off a whole stack of old books on New Agey shit and Eastern mysticism on me. Politely turned him down.

That evening I got a knock on my apartment from Mormon missionaries.

If that was meant to be a sign I sure as fuck don't know what God was trying to convey.
>>
it warms my heart to see people like you guys.

Keep your chin up
>>
>>77360469
You should study religion more
>>
>>77360469
He'S funny like that
>>
>>77360430

One of the priests that used to work in my hometown parish is a former Episcopalian, and as a result he's a damn good apologist and loves debating scripture and theology with people. Really nice little man, sadly he had to retire a couple years back because of heart disease.

Anyways, he likes to tell a story about when some poor Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on the door of the rectory not realizing it was part of the church property, and thought it was just another house. So the priest invites them inside happily, serves them coffee and sends THEM away with pamphlets and books.
>>
>>77360560
So I thought Jehovah's Witnesses were a missionary subsection of Mormons, then I read this
"Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Satan and his demons were cast down to earth from heaven after October 1, 1914,[172] at which point the end times began. Witnesses believe that Satan is the ruler of the current world order,[171] that human society is influenced and misled by Satan and his demons, and that they are a cause of human suffering. They believe that human governments are controlled by Satan,[173] but that he does not directly control each human ruler.[174]"
Is Wiki pulling my leg?
>>
>>77360610

No, Jehovah's Witnesses believe some pretty weird shit compared to other Christian denominations (although, again I shouldn't be talking because "weird shit" is subjective, and I'm sure the JWs would say the same about my Catholic beliefs).

Check out what they believe about their ruling Magisteriu-er I mean "Watchtower".
>>
>>77360051
You're doing it wrong, but you shouldn't do it in the first place.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.