[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone give me an update on Superman and what I should read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: 2943718-action_comics_17_cvar.png (3 MB, 1250x1700) Image search: [Google]
2943718-action_comics_17_cvar.png
3 MB, 1250x1700
Can someone give me an update on Superman and what I should read to get back in with him? Haven't read comics since like last june.
>>
>>77350879
Oh boy...
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 619x940) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 619x940
>>77350879
He lost most of his powers and his costume

Action Comics has been pretty good, Superman's been meh but maybe getting better
>>
>>77350879
Read Action Comics 1-18 and 25
Then read Superman 1-31
Then read Action Comics 26-Onwards

Superman 32 onwards, Batman/Superman etc can be read simultaneously

Justice League is a non-issue
>>
>>77351062
>He lost most of his powers and his costume
>>
>>77351100
There are villains blocking him from being able to absorb sunlight and that process caused the fortress to not recognize him and take his costume so he's back in the jeans and t-shirt look.
>>
>>77350879
Nothing. None of the Superman books have been good for a long time, unfortunately.
>>
>>77351246
>he doesn't like Paktion

wew
>>
>>77350879
Aquaman
Flash
Detective Comics
Batman
Justice League

That's all you should really worry about reading.
>>
>>77351350
>Flash
>Detective Comics

don't do this OP
>>
>>77351246
Shit taste.
>>
>>77351350
>recommending Snyder Batman, Vendetti Flash and Bunn Aquaman over actually good Superman comics
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>77351409
>Bunn Aquaman
I hope that Johns ignores fuck out of Bunn's arc.
>>
Lois and Clark from Pre-52 survived and are now hanging out somewhere in the new universe. That's a comic from a month or 2 ago if you'd rather read that.
>>
>>77350879
Read the new Hyperion comic instead or Jupiter's Legacy
>>
>>77351093
>Superman 1-31
Don't be a dick.
>>
>>77351438
It's pretty bad though. Or at least not even Jurgens at his best.

If you want a real Clark and Lois book you read Smallville Season 11.
>>
OP here

Some of you guys are recommending books about characters, I wanna read superman. If none of his books are any good right now guess i'm fucked
>>
Read Action comics when Pak takes over, the new Superman arc is fun but not that great
>>
>>77351511
His books are mostly alright. I'd just avoid SMWW. Basically follow >>77351093 but take >>77351462's advice and ignore Superman until Johns comes on.
>>
>>77351462

I thought Jurgens/Giffen was alright

The Jurgens/Giffen run on Superman was a damn sight better than whatever the fuck Jurgens is doing on his new Superman book
>>
>>77351511
Just read all of action comics other than 19-24.

You can't go wrong with that.
>>
>>77351511
Superman sucks you should have known better
>>
>>77351545
19-22 is great though

It's Lex being an immense faggot for two issues, Lois and Clark having actual, brief chemistry for once before Jon steps into the picture, and Lex being even more of a faggot

Plus Lobdell's two-parter is actually the least offensive Superman writing he's ever done - aside from his crossover fetish it's basically just two issues of Space Romp
>>
>>77351511
>>77351511
His books are currently good, Read all of action comics (some people don't like 19-24, I think they're fine), and the current superman when the asian writer takes over.
>>
>>77351228

>There are villains blocking him from being able to absorb sunlight and that process caused the fortress to not recognize him and take his costume so he's back in the jeans and t-shirt look.

this has got to be a joke

I thought the whole superboy-like look was just because the character was rebooted. jesus christ, what do people think who read that shit?

>the fortress took his costume

and it cut of his dick in the process? what a load of bullcrap
>>
>>77351758
What's your problem with it? His powers are limited but not gone, he doesn't know who's fucking with his powers so he's trying to figure it out

The fortress didn't recognize him as Superman so it took his costume back, he's wearing a t-shirt because he found a Superman shirt at a gas station
>>
>>77351758
Except this is literally the best Superman's been in years.
>>
>>77351758
>I thought the whole superboy-like look was just because the character was rebooted

Why would he be rebooted?

He's just wearing the jeans and t-shirt because he found them in a store selling Superman merch and wanted to still rep the S-shield.

In fact a lot of the current run is enemies who he handily thrashed before (like UKUR, BEASTLORD OF SUBTERRANEA) suddenly dramatically outpowering him ever since he got depowered.
>>
>>77351794
>>77351795

I just feel like the step of depowering him is a lazy way of writing a character

it's as if in the process of writing superman comics the creators thought they should change shit up to smallville-tier levels
>>
>>77351794
>>77351795
>>77351802
what issue did this start and what book?
>>
>>77351828
>I just feel like the step of depowering him is a lazy way of writing a character

He's not been depowered so much as he has been powered down

He's still spider-man level in strength (which is immense by the way), bulletproof, jumps good, etc
>>
>>77351830

A bit after Doom iirc

I wanna say 39ish but I can't remember exactly
>>
>>77351830
Action Comics 40, Superman 40 I think

It's in Batman/Superman and SMWW too but those kind of suck
>>
>>77351867

>He's still spider-man level in strength (which is immense by the way), bulletproof, jumps good, etc
>people still claiming a superman game can't be made

fucking cunts
>>
Ok so

Superman #39 to now "forgot to mention I did read all of Johns new 52 run"

I read action Comics up till Doom btw so i'll skip doom and start with the issues after

Legit thought the Superman/Wonder Woman book ended btw apparently I am wrong

Im going to be honest the depowered thing does sound kinda fun right now the way you guys are putting it.
>>
>>77351948

I mean he's still fighting immortals, robots, demons, and monsters.

The only difference is everything in a 300 meter radius doesn't explode when he punches something now.
>>
>>77350879
Pre-nu52 stuff. He's been shwarbage under everyone not Morrison or Johns. Pak wrote fucking superdoom.
>>
>>77351828
They had just gotten done with an arc where he was turning into Doomsday. It's not like they have something against cosmic-tier power levels or whatever. It's just a story.
>>
>>77352061
>unironically recommending preboot garbage

Literally the only thing worth reading is early Byrne, mid-run Jurgens, and MAYBE Johns. Honourable mention to the Loeb/Kelly/Casey era.

Everything else is Lobdell-tier garbage, especially Green
>>
>>77351948
It is pretty fun, in >>77351062 he's joined a fight club for minor deities to try and get info and taco money
>>
>>77352061
Superdoom wasn't bad, though it was the weakest part of the run so far.

>>77352100
>not reccing Busiek
>>
>>77352124

Are we counting minis? If so then yes, Busiek.
>>
File: 1316388442112.jpg (1 MB, 1026x4710) Image search: [Google]
1316388442112.jpg
1 MB, 1026x4710
>>77352142
Busiek on the "Superman" ongoing was good too
>>
>>77351948
The only downside is that he and Lois are fighting but the whole thing has been framed as a circlejerk of how much they mean to each other so it's pretty obvious they'll make up.
>>
>>77352166
I thought he was meh, his heart was clearly in Astro City
>>
>>77352188
>The only downside is that he and Lois are fighting but the whole thing has been framed as a circlejerk of how much they mean to each other

I swear to christ it's been four years of this "w-we're just friends I swear and anyway we're seeing other people" shit JUST LET THEM FUCK ALREADY
>>
>>77352191
Fair enough. I think around the Third Kryptonian arc it started dragging but it was still pretty good.
>>
>>77352227
I think editorial is still being weird about the classic couples for whatever reason. They'll probably use the poor sales on the Lois and Clark book as "evidence" that there's no reason to rush on having them together again.

Rather than, of course, evidence that no one has nostalgia for Jurgens.
>>
>>77352342

I'm mad because they play up his sexual tension with Lana and Lois so much just to pair Lana off with John Henry and Lois with

Actually is Jon even still around or have they quietly broken off the engagement? Is he gonna be Crimebuster 2.0?
>>
>>77352354
I think she might still be with him? I feel like it was mentioned in the identity reveal arc.
>>
>>77352100
Johns/Donner/Busiek is GOAT from the beginning up to when Clark leaves Earth for New Krypton.
>>
>>77353025
Plus Black Circle.
>>
>>77351828
You say this as though you've read any of the comics.

Superman is still dealing with threat levels that would have given him a challenge even with his powers. He's struggling to fight the good fight against overwhelming odds with his powers stuck at a Golden Age level.

And, let me reiterate that last point; as he is now, Superman is essentially at his Golden Age powerset. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. If anything, it's not lazy; it challenges the writer, and Superman himself, to have him triumph over odds he'd have found difficult even with his powers at full strength, when he's running on low power.
>>
Is this the same version of Superman who wandered off into the desert to do humanitarian acts after Batman did something he shouldn't have? I don't read much DC, just saw that posted on here a bit. If not, did they ever figure out what happened in that version?
>>
>>77358661
That version you're talking about was from Futures End, and no they never clarified what Batman did

That was the future version of this Superman so yeah same guy (technically)
>>
>>77358903
Appreciate the response, I'll go look it up even if they don't quite answer that part. Thanks anon!
>>
>>77351511
Greg Pak's Superman has been awesome
>>
>>77358903
Which Future's End tie-ins are actually good? I've heard a couple praised, but wasn't buyong floppies at that time and haven't checked them out. Does one of tjlhe Super book tie-ins deal with the Masked Superman, or just beard Superman?
>>
>>77359427
Yeah, Masked Superman was in the Superman issue, it was one of the better ones

The other ones I recall liking were

>Swamp Thing
>Phantom Stranger
>Grayson
>Green Lantern
>Red Lanterns
>Sinestro
>Infinity Man and the Forever People
>Green Arrow
>Batman/Superman
>Constantine
>Action Comics
>>
>>77359427
Grayson's was good, but I think I mostly skipped out on them. Can't remember reading any others.
>>
>>77359882
God Swamp Thing Future's End was so perfect I love it to bits.

It's the perfect finale to Soule's Swampy and to the New 52 run in general. I'm fine with Len Wein doing a run but it's ok if it sucks cause I got my closure.
>>
>>77360353
Phantom Stranger was a great cap to JMD's run, too

Also I think those two and Red Lanterns might have been the only non-depressing ones
>>
>>77351758
you haven't even read it yet you fucking knob
>>
>>77351795

Superman stopped being good with Flashpoint
>>
>>77363832
>Not muh
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.