[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What -Expect-From-Spawn-Movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-Expect-From-Spawn-Movie-According-Todd-McFarlane-112567.html

So the new Spawn movie had its first draft of the script finished awhile ago, and they're apparently trying for the start of shooting sometime this year.

Anyone else think this is gonna be bad?
>>
>>81233465
There's like zero demand for a Spawn movie. Spawn hasn't been popular since the late '90s... McFarlane always talks and talks but rarely delivers; I'm sure even the most hardcore Spawn fans had fallen out of love with the character years ago. Really, as dumb and silly as the 1997 movie is, it's probably the best live action iteration of Spawn that'll be remembered... it was made at the time that Spawn's popularity was fading and tried to congeal and give closure to a half-assed story that never really progressed much up until that point. I'm not saying the film was perfect or even good by any standards, but it'll likely be much more memorable and entertaining than any reboot or other live action incarnation will ever be.

Basically, Spawn had his day in the sun and squandered most of it. His fans have since grown up and likely moved onto other things or have left Spawn in their childhood and teenaged years.

On a personal note, I think the dark and gritty/depressing atmosphere would really only hinder it. We've got plenty of superhero films that are desaturated and have an overly serious and violent tone and theme. What could realistically be done to make Spawn any different from those films?
>>
>>81233465
It's gonna bomb hard
>>
I'm actually excited could be awesome if done right
>>81233849
You're stupid,something doesn't need to already be popular to be succsessful and it definitely doesn't need to be popular to be good.

Dredd wasn't at the hight of the character's popularity when it came out but it's a good movie and it did pretty well financially.
>>
>>81234095
>you're stupid

great response man.
>>
>>81233465
>McFarlane writing and directing

Fat chance. It like the time when Rob wanted to sell his screenplay about the forming of Image. Why are they still so delusional?
>>
>>81234188
Sorry man I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything I just really like Spawn,sorry.
>>
The kids of today should defend themselves against the nineties.
>>
>>81233849
>Spawn hasn't been popular since the late '90s

I think it benefits from that, or could benefit from that in the same way GoG did or Antman. Even among comocbook readers there isn't a big enough audience to really nitpick what they decide to do with the movie version.

Depending on when they could get it out it could be the first or one of the first primarily black cast hero movies out. It could be maybe the second magic based hero movie. And all that shit is easy enough to market. And unlike other "desaturated and have an overly serious and violent tone and theme'" hero movies this is a character that was created for that. His storyline and character really isn't about hope and positive outlooks. You're not trying to make that fit into a grim mold.
>>
I just want it to be as good as the cartoon. If it can do that I'll be happy.
>>
>>81234741
>I just want it to be as good as a masterpiece
>>
The average Spawn story is Oscar material all right:
- Spawn is sitting on his throne, which is made of rotten, worm-infested remains
- Cogliostro or Angela or Violator or the mailman come and tell him to solve his problems, or threaten him with some prophecy (which of course will never be fulfilled)
- Spawn, still seated on his rotten throne, remembers his wife and daughter and cries a bit
- From his skyscraper, Jason Wynn puts a bad guy face and orders some evil action to be done
- Spawn is still in his worm-infested throne talking to his beggar friends, who tell some joke
- Malebolgia says that Al Simmons will be his someday and laughs hysterically
- Spawn is still crying in his throne when a supernatural menace appears and Spawn spectacularly fights it... for three pages
- And now that he has left the throne, he will take a look at his ex-family from the window, like a fucking stalker. He cries a bit more.
- Cogliostro insists that something big is coming, that everything’s going to change, that the prophecy will be fulfilled. One of these days.
- In the end, Spawn is sitting on his stinky throne again.
Repeat for about 100 issues.
>>
>>81234948
A man can dream. If they did it once they can do it again. Besides Spawn has lots of great spin offs and guest issues, surely they can make a good movie out of that shit.
>>
File: 1456377868191.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1456377868191.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
I wouldn't mind another spawn movie. With today's tech I'm sure the special effects will be even better than the last movie. They could get Michael Jai White to play Spawn again too.
>>
Kil-Gor should guest star
>>
File: I see you.jpg (96 KB, 472x669) Image search: [Google]
I see you.jpg
96 KB, 472x669
>>81233465
I'd rather that we just get the cartoon with redone visuals.
>>
>>81234982
What about the time Spawn pulls out a magic gun and blows his rotten brains all over the fucking alley
>>
How many years has he been saying that?

Go back to making Walking Dead, Halo, and sports toy, Todd. Because apparently those are the only things that exist anymore.
>>
>>81234982

This really only happened early on. Spawn is approaching 300 issues, and this hasn't really been relevant since maybe the first 60 or 70.
>>
>>81233465
Only the hardcore fans of Spawn would see it, it's not like Batman what stills popular actually, it's going to bomb
>>
>>81234095
>Dredd wasn't at the hight of the character's popularity when it came out but it's a good movie and it did pretty well financially.
But Dredd bombed at box office anon
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.