[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Academy Thread #1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: DC Academy.png (1 MB, 1306x795) Image search: [Google]
DC Academy.png
1 MB, 1306x795
We've all thought of it now, here's our chance. DC is is holding open access to a 13 week international online training program, the top students of which will be flown to Burbank for hands on Master Classes with DC Legends all leading up to jobs on new DC properties.

/co/ has a thriving community of creative writers and artists so i made this thread so we can all work withe each other sharpen the iron and hopefully get out or dreams.

Let's do this friends!
>>
>>81129986
Site:

https://www.dccomicstalentworkshop.com/

Writers F.A.Q

>What if I left off information online; can I go back and change it or do I need to resubmit from the start?
>If you have saved your application but not submitted, you may go back and change as many times as you like. Use your login and password up until 11:59 pm PDT on May 31 to enter back into your submission. But once you have submitted your application, there’s no going back — you can no longer make changes.

>Can I get feedback on my submission?
>Due to the expected high volume of applications, we cannot give individual feedback on every submission.

>When will I hear from you?
>Due to volume, we won’t be able to respond individually to each applicant, but we will be sending notifications to everyone at the end of the review process around the end of August.

>Do I get paid to be in the Workshop?
>No. The endgame for the Workshop is to get you hired on one of our comics.

>Can my representation submit my material for me?
>No.

>Is it okay if I have representation?
>Yes.

>Can international applicants apply to the Workshop?
>Yes, but to be accepted into the program, you must have a passport or visa, if necessary, that allows you to travel to the US. We do not sponsor visas. And you must speak and write in fluent English.

>Can Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment employees apply to the Workshop?
>Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment employees are not eligible to apply.

>What if I’ve written for DC in the past? Can I submit the story published for DC?
>Yes! If you haven’t published anything at DC in the past year, you’re eligible to apply. However, updating us on your newest work could be most beneficial to you.

>Is there ANY circumstance that would allow me to have an extension on the submission deadline?
>No. To be fair to everyone who submits, extensions will not be granted.
>>
>>81130005
>If I live near Burbank, can I drop off my submission in person?
>All submissions must be uploaded through the website. Writing samples that are mailed in or dropped off will not be accepted.

>How many professional samples can I submit?
>One or two.

>Can I submit more than two writing samples?
>No. The application will only allow you to submit two samples at most, and that’s all we will read.

>Can the spec be an original DC Comic?
>No — under no conditions can we accept unsolicited submissions with our characters. >Any DC works submitted will not be opened or read.

>What if I wrote a published comic that is NOT a DC comic?
>This is ideal. We’d love to see your comic book work.

>What if my professional work is nonfiction?
>It’s highly unlikely that we’d be able to judge your ability to write comic books based on nonfiction work.

>What constitutes published work?
>We will accept material printed in a book, comic book, magazine, professional journal or newspaper, or an online publication INCLUDING self-published works of fiction. This DOES NOT INCLUDE any DC character fan fiction.

>If I’m part of a writing team, do we each need to write a personal statement?
>No, teams should submit ONE personal statement expressing their views.

>If there is a problem with the website while I’m submitting, or I have a question that isn’t answered here, what do I do?
>Email us at [email protected] and we will help you resolve your issue.
>>
>>81130042
Artists F.A.Q

>What if I left off information online; can I go back and change it or do I need to resubmit from the start?
>If you saved for later, use your login and password up until 11:59pm PDT on April 30 to enter back into your submission. If you submitted your application, you cannot make any changes.

>Why can’t I find the submission agreement on my profile?
>The submission agreement will appear after your script, résumé and essay are uploaded.

>Can I get feedback on my portfolio?
>Due to the expected high volume of applications, we cannot give individual feedback on every portfolio.

>Do I get paid to be in the Workshop?
>No. The endgame for the Workshop is to get you hired on one of our comics.

>Can my representation submit my material for me?
>No.

>Is it okay if I have representation?
>Yes.

>Can international applicants apply to the Workshop?
>Yes, but to be accepted into the program, you must have a passport or visa, if necessary, that allows you to travel to the US. We do not sponsor visas. And you must be fluent in English.

>Can Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment employees apply to the Workshop?
>Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment employees are not eligible to apply.

>Is there ANY circumstance that would allow me to have an extension on the submission deadline?
>No. To be fair to everyone who submits, extensions will not be granted.

>If I live near Burbank, can I drop off my portfolio in person?
>All portfolios must be submitted through the website. Portfolios that are mailed in or dropped off will not be accepted.

>How many portfolios can I submit?
>One.

>Do the characters need to be from DC Comics?
>It is not required but encouraged to send characters represented in our stories. We will, however, be looking to see how well you draw DC characters.

>Can I submit my portfolio as a colorist or inker?
>The current program is designed for pencillers. We will not accept an application if you are exclusively a colorist or inker.
>>
>>81130075

>I just want to be a cover artist. Do I have to submit sequential art?
>Yes. Only sequential storytellers will be admitted to the program. If you submit just cover art or pinups, you’ll be wasting your time and ours.

>When will I hear from you?
>Due to volume, we won’t be able to respond individually to each applicant, but we will be sending notifications to everyone at the end of the review process in late June.

>If there is a problem with the website while I’m submitting, or I have a question that isn’t answered here, what do I do?
>Email us at [email protected] and we will help you resolve your issue.
>>
>>81130105
Artists What We Look for in a Portfolio

>Dynamic Characters!

>Our main business is superheroes — let your characters jump off the page!
>Composition

>Panel-to-panel relationships are key. Show us you know how to lay out a page.
>PayOff

>In sequential pages, we like to see the setup for a character’s entrance or reveal payoff by the final page.
>Keep It Fresh

>Our heroes, despite our 80-year history, have only been around for a relatively short time in current continuity. The world shouldn’t feel as if superheroes are old-hat and boring. Keep the characters young and the clothing styles and tech modern.
>Be Aware Of The Precious Real Estate

>You can only use so many panels out of 20 pages. Make sure you:

*) Establish All Characters And Places. An establishing shot at the top of the page is typical, but anywhere on the page will do. Always set the scene and incorporate who the characters are, how they relate to each other, and what their powers are in the least amount of room possible.
*)Think Visually. Showing powers, and action, is key. Remember, you have no “budget” — don’t have people sitting around in a diner, at a table, in a bar, in a warehouse too much. We’re not TV and we don’t pay for the sets.
*)Show Characters’ Real-Life Personas And Superhero Personas. ‘Nuff said.
>>
Writers What We Look For In a Comic

Start Fast!

>Let them know where the story is going as soon as possible. If the reader isn’t hooked by page 2, they usually put the writing sample down and move on to the next submission.
You Can’t Play it Safe

>A story has to take chances to stand out. Typical stories are less likely to get published.
Smart with Heart

>Characters who use their heads and hearts reflect well on the writer.
>Say Something

>Stories that reflect on life and the human condition will stay with the reader.
>Proofread it Again

>And then again. Typos take the reader out of the story and reflect poorly on the writer.
>Don’t Rehash

>If a writer loved a story or character when they were a kid, they shouldn’t try to re-create that story. We’re looking for new voices, new styles.
>Conflict — Not Perfection — Is King

>Heroes aren’t perfect. You may consider them icons, but icons don’t make for very interesting stories.
>Let Your Lead Lead

>The main plot should be about the lead character — if Batman can be replaced by a dozen other characters, it’s not a Batman story. The best stories are character studies.
>Be Aware of the Precious Real Estate

>A typical DC Comic is 20 story pages. Writers must make sure to:

*)ESTABLISH ALL CHARACTERS AND PLACES. An establishing shot at the top of the page is typical. Always set the scene and incorporate who the characters are, how they relate to one another, and what their powers are in the least amount of room possible.
*)THINK VISUALLY. Showing powers, and action, is key. Remember, you have no “budget” — don’t have people sitting around in a diner, at a table, in a bar, in a warehouse too much. We’re not TV and we don’t pay for the sets.
*) SHOW CHARACTERS’ REAL-LIFE PERSONAS AND SUPERHERO PERSONAS. ‘Nuff said.
*)TREAT THE CHARACTERS BADLY. Don’t have easily defeated villains. The villain can WIN. Don’t sacrifice a good villain just to make your hero look good.
>>
>>81130175
Story Guidelines

>In order to see how well a writer handles the characters, how they pace out a story, and see how well they handle story structure, etc., this is what we typically look for in a story.

>Make sure you take these elements into consideration before submitting your plot:

TITLE (your story title, not the name of the character)
by XXX (your name on the story)

BASIC CONCEPT:

TARGET AUDIENCE: (EXAMPLE: Comic book fans of DC’s YOUNG JUSTICE and Edge comics and mass-market fans of the Twilight and of TV shows like True Blood and Vampire Diaries.)

MARKETING HOOK: (EXAMPLE: Ever feel like an outsider, a freak or a monster? Ever feel that someone rejected you because they didn’t take the time to really know you? That you had something special to contribute, but no one would give you the chance to prove it? That they only judged you on your appearance or some other surface detail? That you possessed a secret too terrible or shocking to share? And that appearances can be very deceiving? Then this series is for you!)

HIGH CONCEPT: (HOLLYWOODSPEAK. EXAMPLE: A cross between Dexter and Supernatural—with a little Southland added to the mix.)

THE MAIN CHARACTER/S: (Hero and real-life personas — what do they do for a living, and in their downtime? How do they interact/conflict with the other characters? Etc.)

THE SUPPORTING CHARACTERS:

POWERS:

FIRST STORY:

VILLAINS:

WHY DOES/DO THE MAIN CHARACTER/S WANT TO BE WHO THEY ARE (SUPERHERO, ANTI-HERO, VILLAIN)?

STORY ENGINES (what plot devices/events drive the stories?)

MELODRAMA (what personal subplots do the characters have, internal conflicts with each other…?)

ORIGIN:
>>
>>81130208
WRITERS WORKSHOP
HOW TO APPLY
CURRENT RÉSUMÉ
Your résumé should include all published writing experience, comics related and beyond. If you are a team, two individual résumés should be uploaded.

SHORT COMPOSITION
A short composition is no longer than the space provided, which is equivalent to a page, double-spaced and in size 12 font, or 2000 characters. It should tell us why you want to be a DC comic book writer and how your background will add a unique perspective to our publishing portfolio. If you are a team, please submit one composition that talks about you as a team.

PUBLISHED WRITING SAMPLES
Applicants may submit up to two published writing samples. Comic book work is preferred, but we will also accept any published fiction writing that will highlight your skills as a possible DC writer. DC does not accept unsolicited submissions using our characters. Proposals for comics using DC characters MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED, AND WILL NOT BE READ OR ACCEPTED.

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
We will accept, and encourage obtaining, a letter of recommendation. This letter must be written on your behalf by a working comic book industry professional who can discuss your potential as a professional comic book writer.

SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
We must have this in order to read your submission. Make sure to include your work’s information and title, along with your original signature(s) at the bottom. The agreement must be uploaded to your application before the deadline. Faxes and emails of this document will not be accepted. Please take into account the time it will take to submit your submission agreement when applying.

>Sites to get published work:
http://horrortree.com

http://thewritelife.com/where-to-submit-short-stories/

/www.carvezine.com/submit
>>
ARTISTS WORKSHOP
HOW TO APPLY
CURRENT RÉSUMÉ
Your résumé should include all published writing experience, comics related and beyond. Sequential art experience is preferred but not required.

SHORT COMPOSITION
A short composition is no longer than the space provided, which is equivalent to a page, double-spaced and in size 12 font, or 2000 characters. It should tell us why you want to be a DC comic book artist and how your background will add a unique perspective to our publishing portfolio.

ART PORTFOLIO
Applicants must upload a portfolio that includes up to five pages of art: at least three pages of sequential art (preferably three pages in sequence with one another) and no more than two illustrations. The pages must be uploaded as JPEGs, GIF or PNG files ONLY, with a 1 MB limit for each page. You may also send us links to a file share or blog site such as DeviantArt. Portfolios that do not include sequential art cannot be considered. Artists are encouraged to represent the titles and characters listed on our website but are not required. We will, however, want to see how you handle our characters’ likenesses.

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
We will accept, and encourage obtaining, a letter of recommendation. This letter must be written on your behalf by a working comic book industry professional who can discuss your potential as a professional comic book artist.

SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
The submission agreement will appear after you have uploaded your portfolio, and we must have this to review your portfolio. Make sure all required information, along with your original signature at the bottom, fits on one page. The agreement must be uploaded to your application before the deadline. Faxes and emails of this document will not be accepted. Please take into account the time it will take to submit your submission agreement when applying.
>>
I have nothing even close to published and nothing more than halfway finished.

I hope this is still a thing in a few years when I've gotten off my ass.
>>
SUGGESTED COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS
We’d like to see at least one of these characters depicted in your portfolio:

Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Black Canary
Catwoman
Constantine
Cyborg
Deathstroke
Flash
Grayson
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Harley Quinn
Justice League
Justice League of America
Red Hood
Sandman
Suicide Squad
Superman
Teen Titans
Wonder Woman

>>81130279
This is what these threads are for, imagine the write and draw threads with a focused goal.

There are several publishing outlets and I am trying to talk with some of my superiors to allow fiction on there sites.

They also except self publishing.

Really getting two solid pieces out and a unique vision by the end of may is hard but doable
>>
>>81130279
Same. I'm hoping to get a lower end job in the industry soon and if that goes well then I could at least get a good rec letter from a comic pro.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.