[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else find it depressing as hell when Marvel and DC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
Does anyone else find it depressing as hell when Marvel and DC fans constantly shit on each other? I'm a huge DC fan. And I'll admit Marvel currently has better movies. And even though I don't like the majority of them I like some of Marvels movies.

But why are the Marvel fans (Mainly the ones who don't read comics) so hostile when DC announces anything? Like DC did something to them personally. Is it about "picking the winning side"? And the Arrow fans are just as guilty, they like shitting on Marvel A LOT.

A lot of these people are the same ones that grew up watching Batman:TAS, Justice League and Superman:TAS

Why all the rage /co/? What the fuck are they trying to accomplish?
>>
I agree OP, the big two are about equal in both good and bad, you only harm your own reading posibilities by closing only in one
>>
>capetards acting like immature morons
Why are you surprised?
>>
Movies have ruined actual discussion in these threads.
>>
File: both kinds.jpg (291 KB, 1000x1124) Image search: [Google]
both kinds.jpg
291 KB, 1000x1124
The problem is people who consume too much Marvel/DC entertainment and not enough non-DC/non-Marvel entertainment. They think that it's a two-player competition between ONLY the two of them.

We need more independent and creator-owned comics on /co/, to remind people that comics aren't zero sum, that we can have room for everybody. There's room enough for Marvel, there's room enough for DC, there's room enough for everyone else too.
>>
>>65403308
I am mostly a Marvel fan more then DC. I think the problem is that DC fanatics assume that if DC is mentioned Marveldrones will call it shit. To be honest I see more DC fans shit on Marvel for the fact they are more sucessful in film. I guess it wont ever be sorted because some people will always have a hot boner for the rival company or do it to troll. If you want it solved just respect others opinions and don't bother replying to the idiots. I mean the fact you say the ones that don't read comics are probably not the best to talk to on the COMICS and cartoons board.
>>
File: Superior_Spider-Man_-14.jpg (584 KB, 903x1371) Image search: [Google]
Superior_Spider-Man_-14.jpg
584 KB, 903x1371
>>65403545
I'm going to start reading Marvel at some point. Its just that I still have a lot of DC titles that are my first priority when I have extra money. I'm getting a job on my campus now though so I'm going to start reading Marvel soon. Probably going to start with Superior Spider-man. Do any Marvel fans have any other recommendations to start with?
>>
>>65403622
>They think that it's a two-player competition between ONLY the two of them.
I started to notice that a while back. Nobody ever shit on Mirage when TMNT sucked
>>
>>65403599
This. Moviefags should either leave /co/ or get confined into a 24/7 general.

>>65403622
We can't get that because few people are willing to make threads about them because nobody care about anything that don't arouse them or irritates them. I could make a Rat Queens thread and get most people in there tell me about shitty it is then I could making a Hellboy thread. People are too afraid to say that they like something for fear of being judged.
>>
>>65403723
>starting with Superior
child no that's a terrible idea.

read these instead,
>Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont
>Thunderbolts by Kurt Busiek
>X-Statix by Peter Milligan
>Deadpool by Joe Kelly
>Fantastic Four/FF by Johnathan Hickman
>Marvels by Kurt Busiek
>Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
>The Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction
>Thor by Walter Simonson
>Guardians of The Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
>Deadpool by Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan
>New X-Men by Grant Morrison
>Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis
>Spider Man by Roger Stern
>Daredevil by Frank Miller
>Superior Foes of Spider Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber
>Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller
>Moon Knight by Warren Ellis
>Fantastic Four by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
>Thor by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
>Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter by Kieron Gillen
>Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron
>Ghost Rider by Jason Aaron
>The Ultimates(only 1&2) by Mark Miller
>FF by Matt Fraction(Issues 1-12 only)
>Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis
>The Incredible Hercules by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente
>The Hulk by Peter David
>Captain America by Ed Brubaker
>Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
>Journey Into Mystery by Kieron Gillen
>Marvel Zombies by Robert Kirkman
>Man Thing by Steve Gerber
>Howard The Duck MAX by Steve Gerber
>The Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis
>Fury MAX by Garth Ennis
>The Punisher/Franken-Castle by Rick Remender
>Secret Warriors by Johnathan Hickman
>Nick Fury by Jim Steranko
>Inhumans by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee
>Agents of Atlas by Jeff Parker
>Daredevil by Mark Waid
>X-Factor by Peter David
>Doom 2099 by Warren Ellis
>Nextwave by Warren Ellis
>Runaway's by Brain K. Vaughn
>Squadron Supreme by Mike Gruenwald
>>
>>65403599
This. That's what happens when you invite shitcunts from /tv/ in here.
>>
>>65403882
>child no that's a terrible idea
It is? I thought /co/ liked it? Especially this mysterious mini waifu they keep talking about. Whats wrong with the title?
>>
>>65404017
It's a terrible book to start out with
>>
>>65404077
Is anyone going to tell me why? Is the writing bad? Is it boring? Whats wrong with it?
>>
>>65403882
>child no that's a terrible idea.
fuck off tripfag attention whore
>>
>>65403882
Fantastic Four by John Byrne,SHIELD by hickman and Astonishing x-men by joss wheddon are also good.
>>
>>65403308
>Why all the rage /co/? What the fuck are they trying to accomplish?
Same reason as /v/'s console wars. Insecurity.
>>
>>65404077
*It's a terrible book.
>>
>>65404017
It get's boring and stupid at issue 15 or so, the writing is cheesy in a not good way, SpOck becomes a cartoon character villain, it's wrapped up too quick in like 3 pages, and the art is shit.
you'd be better off reading Slott's Silver Surfer or older Spidey books.
>>
>>65404104
it's a great book, don't listen to "not mah peter" parkerfags.
they are terrible people
Superior is great start.
>>
Let's make love, not war.
>>
>>65404164
okay, bend over
>>
I prefer DC over Marvel but I enjoy both, I really enjoy the marvel movies too.

You can enjoy both guys :)
>>
Whatever but Marvel is better

Ooga chaka motherfuckers
>>
>>65404104
>Is the writing bad
It's no Bomb Queen, but yes. It's pretty bad.
>>
>>65404104
It's just not a good starting point, get to it eventually
>>
>>65403882
>Moon Knight by Warren Ellis
Eh, I like it but it's not everyone's cup of tea from what I saw.
>>
>>65404190
Tell that to the movie fans. They're nuts
>>
I find it depressing as hell that Warner Bros. is taking DC characters that I love and fucking them up. They change parts of the mythos that warp the character motivations, turn them into something that represents a jaded board room test version of beloved characters, as if they are embarrassed by the product or don't trust that they are something people like. There was already quality control testing done on DC characters! It was called 'nearly a century of these comic books'! And then, because way more people see movies than read comics, the version of Superman that most people will know now is a broody, sociopathic, making-out-on-top-of-corpse-ash space monster.

Now I get updating things for simplicity or for the times. Marvel has done that. Like the whole 'Asgard isn't magic, it's advanced alien science' is a big one. And I'm fine with it. Because so long as Thor is still Thor who is from Asgard and acts like Thor and is a goddamn hero, I don't care about the window dressing.

I promise I will shout from the mountains how great Dawn of Justice is if it is good. And there are Marvel movies I wasn't thrilled about. Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 I'm looking at you. But I'm not going to say 'the Green Lantern movie was good' just because I like Green Lantern from the comics. Fuck the Green Lantern movie and it's drippy brown ass juice villain.
>>
>>65403882
Holy crap that's a lot of shit.
>>
>>65403308
>Marvel fans are the hostile ones
You're the definition of DCasual. The people who hate on Man of Murder are usually lifelong Supesfags. They hate that they ruined the character to make him an antihero.
>>
>>65406734
It's funny because i prefer DC to Marvel but if i ever criticise Man of Steel on /co/ the marveldrone insults come poring in.
>>
File: 1409787905926.png (220 KB, 321x333) Image search: [Google]
1409787905926.png
220 KB, 321x333
>>65406816
>DCasual

There was a point where this wasn't a thing that showed up on /co/
>>
>>65406816
>I didn't wrote them
Your entire post is wrong.
>>
>>65406816
Did you stop reading the OP after that sentence ?
>And the Arrow fans are just as guilty, they like shitting on Marvel A LOT.
>>
>>65403308
Better movie is sorta a moot argument because aside from a trilogy that sorta stands on it's own, DC has one movie compared to Marvel's many. I'd save my movie judgement until DC has released a few more.
>>
>>65406902
Seriously? He start out by shouting "DCasual" and you think he's not a retarded shitposter?
>>
>>65403723
Im in the minority that doesnt hate slotts writing, but Superior isnt where you wana start, I feel like SpOck is much more interesting when you consider the major change from the Peter you get to know across earlier issues, Id start with Brand New Day.
>>
Manufactured rivalry by companies for sales
>>
>>65406816
>Marvel fans are the hostile ones
>Oh Yea, well fuck you DCasual
Way to prove his point, retard.
>>
>>65406816
Anon, I said that both Marvel and DC fans have fuck ups. When I said hostile, I mainly mean the ones who don't read comics and talk about how much better one is over the other...
>>
>>65406982
> DC and Marvel doesn't exist
> Well, they did once, but now they're just owned by the entertainment industry
> The history of the comic book industry is basically the plot of MGS2
>>
>>65406902
I'm saying that the people who hate the DC movies are old DC fans who actually understand the characters. I thought I spelled that out clearly, but you're clearly too sweaty to read that or too stupid to understand. Fucking mongoloid DCasual retards.

btw, DCasuals are NOT Dc fans. They're movie fans.
>>
File: especially-not-superman.jpg (223 KB, 510x413) Image search: [Google]
especially-not-superman.jpg
223 KB, 510x413
>>65406879
I've been here for 3 years and it's at least that old. I did get banned the first time i used it though. Didn't realize that mods even cared about it until then.
>>
>>65407017
And I'm saying your perceptions are wrong. No one hates DC movies. They're pretty clearly worse than marvel ones, and it's usually true DC fans pointing out how and why this is the case. You perceive that as hostility, because you're a fucking DCasual. Plz read comics and lurk moar.
>>
File: photo_18_hires.jpg (129 KB, 652x400) Image search: [Google]
photo_18_hires.jpg
129 KB, 652x400
>>65403308

Agreed OP. I'm mostly a Marvel Drone but like all comics. As far as everyone shitting on each other, it's all in good fun. I actually enjoy the autistic nerd rage induced arguments.
>>
>>65407079
It's been a thing ever since the New 52. But good job on exposing yourself as a shitposter.
>>
>>65407102
>No one hates DC movies

I hated Man of Steel, regardless of what i like it was a bad movie.
>>
This is due entirely to an influx of people from /tv/ and /v/. Before any of these movies or video games got really huge, company wars bullshit pretty much never happened. There'd be an occasional thread but everyone got along as well as could be expected. Now there are a ton of people browsing /co/ who don't read comics and don't really want to start. This standoffish attitude reeks of /v/ in particular.
>>
>>65407127
>regardless of what i like
You said that because you have bad taste.
>>
>>65407121
I'm not a shitposter, I'm just a newfag who saw a bunch of shitposters using the term, assumed it was normal, and then started using it all the time. Now it's here, so deal with it grandpa. no one gives a shit about the olden times.
>>
>>65407170
So...you're a shitposter.
>>
>>65407102
>You perceive that as hostility, because you're a fucking DCasual. Plz read comics and lurk moar.

1. I've been reading comics since I was 12 (21 now) whether you choose to believe me is up to you
2. When I'm talking about hostility, I'm saying whenever DC merely ANNOUNCES something, there's a huge incoming shit storm from angry Marvel movie fans. (But for some reason they all shut up whenever Batman is involved) And like I said earlier, ARROW FANS DO IT TOO. They love shitting on Marvel and especially agents of Shield. I don't like the show too much but they seem to have a vendetta against it....
>>
>>65407233
And I"m saying you're still wrong. DC fans are the ones shitting on the films, because they've been beaten down so many times in the past. Real Batman fans don't even like the Nolan trilogy, despite its critical and commercial success. If you read comics, as you claim, you'd understand why.

Now begone DCasual.
>>
File: images.jpg (16 KB, 186x272) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16 KB, 186x272
>>65407102
>>65407170
>>65407183
>>
>>65407266
Grant Morrison likes the Nolan Trilogy.

Now begone, shitposting faggot,. This isn't /tv/.
>>
>>65407305
Oh boy, THE Grant Morrison?

Call me when Moore or Gaiman praises it. Yawn.
>>
>>65407266
>Real Batman fans don't even like the Nolan trilogy
I've read Batman comics and still like the trilogy. I don't really see the point you're trying to make
>>
>>65407351
I'm saying you're a Big Fan
>>
>>65403308
>(Mainly the ones who don't read comics)
because of this. people who read comics will probably enjoy and/or respect both. Casuals seem to think they'res some big rivalry they need to be a part of to show they're a true fan
>>
>>65406816
>b8ing this hard
>>
>>65407370
The companies? Sure. The movies? No. DC does Batman movies well, tv shows great, and animation the best. Pretending otherwise is stupid.
>>
File: 1410266930843.jpg (89 KB, 599x586) Image search: [Google]
1410266930843.jpg
89 KB, 599x586
>>65403308

I don't let Marvelkids bother me dude. I've always liked DC better. They just have this epic/mythic feel that Marvel could never capture. I don't get goosebumps reading spiderman or captain america. Marvel has this self aware parody kind of thing all the time, different strokes for different folks.

Anyway I'm glad Marvel is having success especially considering their properties are split and lets face it they are working with may more d and c listers than DC is. They have this action comedy thing down, people love it and it makes money.

People forget DC is at Iron Man stage right now. Now between a couple solid DC shows on TV, several animated movies per year and the comics I'm satiated. People can bash Man of Steel all they want but people liked it enough and it made enough money to justify making a Batman/Superman flick and preparing for Justice League, Shazam, Legion etc. Now based on Man of Steel it looks like DB wants to do the opposite of Marvel Grittier/death being apart of the universe, Nolan influenced w/e. With Goyer being demoted and Terrio writing the next flick (I suspect Affleck is writing alot too) a good set of movies could be coming out on DC's side that might appeal to an older audience with mature themes/being intentionally contrarian to Marvel. I for one am looking forward. I never bash shit I haven't seen, read or watched for myself and ultimately I haven't seen all these DC movies they are planning yet but I am fucking pumped friends.
>>
>>65407400
replied to wrong post? not sure what you were getting at there anon
>>
>>65407434
I'm saying people who read the comics will enjoy/and or respect both the companies. But they won't enjoy and/or respect the movies. Because the movies are clearly different in output. SImilar for the tv shows and animated shows.
>>
>>65403308

I don't think it's Marvel vs DC. I think it's only like that for people who don't read comics or who really like the movies and again don't read comics. Most people who have read a few books realize there are good and bad stories on both sides.

I think sometimes it seems like Marvel kids are the loudest but it's really because they have more movies and branding right now. Watch this board 2 or 3 years from now. People will be complaining about too many Flash, Green Arrow and Supergirl threads lol
>>
>>65407459
ah I see, fair enough point honestly though from what I've seen on /co/ every time marveldrone or DCasual is used it seems to be in a bait/troll thread
>>
I've tried to get into DC for the past 15 years but I've never found anything as endearingly tied to the whole universe as Thunderbolts or New Warriors, that made me read more of and like Marvel
>>
>>65407423
>I don't let Marvelkids bother me dude.
It just sad sometimes is all. Now to some Marvel fans, EVERYTHING DC does is "trying to catch up". Even if they made a movie like we've never seen before. Some of the comments for this video are just sad. Even discussion-wise with some of my friends they tend to pick a side
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3wQGjCQ5Y
>>
>>65407530
Yeah, DC does self contained runs. marvel does garbage that's IMPORTANT because it ties into EVERYTHING
>>
>>65407530
Try Suicide Squad or JLI/E.
>>
>>65407741
Wasn't JLI terrible?
>>
>>65403308
>Does anyone else find it depressing as hell when Marvel and DC fans constantly shit on each other?
>proceeds to only complain about marvel fans

Go home DCrony, your trickery has no effect here
>>
>>65409575
new 52 JLI was bad

Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire 80s JLI is GOAT
>>
>>65403308
>"Does anyone else find it depressing as hell when Marvel and DC fans constantly shit on each other?"
>shits all over Marvel fanboys

Go fuck yourself, OP. Your thread is shit and you're part of the problem.
>>
>>65403308
DC has bad characters and I really can't stand batman or superman

I don't have to justify it any further than that. The x-men alone are more interesting than the entirety of the DC universe

As far as movies are concerned, it's a little pathetic for them to try to recreate the success of the Avengers and do a superhero team up. You know damn well the studio would have never greenlit that shit if Avengers hadn't come first and made Marvel a killing at the box office
>>
>>65409781
2/10, try and be more subtle next time.
>>
>>65409695
But I said that the DC fans (mainly the Arrow ones) are just as bad
>>
>>65409902
Doesn't matter. Shitting on everyone is only marginally better than just one side. You need to rise above it and ignore them, not start stupid threads about them. Unless you actually have something worthwhile to say about the whole phenomenon. "Hey guys, aren't these people shitty? Why do you think that is?" is not a worthwhile exploration of the phenomenon.
>>
It's a combination of several factors like tribe mentality, fanboyism, trying to define oneself through brands and marketing tactics turning people into brand zealots. Add a little bit of people just being trolls and you have the current climate.
>>
As with 'console wars', it's just a case of people trying to validate themselves.

>I like BRAND X
>I chose to consume products from BRAND X
>I prefer BRAND X over BRAND Y
>products from BRAND X are superior to products from BRAND Y
>products from BRAND Y are shit
>I made the right decision choosing BRAND X over BRAND Y
>I make good decisions

It makes a tiny bit more sense for stuff like consoles, since they're expensive and most people can only afford to get one, but applying the same reasoning to movies and comic books is sad and people should really stop trying to define themselves through the brands they consume.
>>
>>65406816

Congrats on proving OPs point.
>>
>>65403723
the new moon knight run is great. There was an artist and writer change on issue 7, but its not a terrible change, though the first 6 issues are fucking fantastic.
>>
>>65412254
>provoking person
>person retaliates
>I TOLD YOU THEY WERE HOSTILE
>>
A friend of my ex tried to talk to me about comics. She was a very political person, anti-corporations, into hippie shit, etc.
She asked me "So, you like comics...do you like Marvel, or DC?"
The question baffled me, mostly because someone so very "death to corporations" could be so ingrained in this false dichotomy that you can't like both. So this shit is everywhere, folks.
>>
>>65413512
Maybe she just phrased it awkwardly, do you prefer Marvel or DC is a perfectly normal thing to ask someone who likes comics.
>>
>>65409781
>My opinion and personal preference is fact
>>
>>65406816
>>
>>65403308
Sad? nah, just pathetic.

Just the same "my dad can beat your dad" thing, only not in children but in man-children which makes it even more lame.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.