[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Toy Story 2 ended on a perfect note with Woody accepting his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
Toy Story 2 ended on a perfect note with Woody accepting his mortality and resolving to enjoy his time left with Andy as best as he can. The movie had already established their stance on mortality and toys having their owners grow up is supposed to symbolism death. What did Toy Story 3 add to this? So the toys get the easy way out and get adopted by a new owner. Doesn't resolve anything, they will just have to go through the process all over again. All Toy Story 3 was to show the process of things happening, which is really unnecessary if it adds nothing to the story and to the themes.

Seriously, what was with Jessie's line, "It's like Emily all over again"? The point of her character arc in TS2 was learning to accept love again, knowing the pain it would bring. All this thrown out the window with that one stupid line. That was the moment when I realized the writers had no clear idea on what they were doing, going for a bit of cheap drama at the expense of character development from the previous iterations.
>>
lmao who cares about themes you fucking nerd
>>
>>64602595
It was a complete unnecessary movie. Just marketing. Note that only the "main crew", the one that went to rescue Woody, remained. Also, asshole Woody, who gave a speech to Lotzo, not ending with something like: That child loves you so much that their parents should buy another Lotzo to trick her, she didn't replaced you, but, "she only left you behind!" Plus Boo Peep gone and being just a line in the movie.

I completely get your point.
>>
>>64602595
>What did Toy Story 3 add to this?
fat stacks in pixar pockets dats wut
>>
I, too, felt Toy Story 3 to be entirely unnecessary, treading old ground. I think it was born out of two insignificant reasons: the traditional belief that a trilogy is appropriate and that a single sequel is somehow awkward, and to provide closure to the inevitability that the kid WAS going to grow up eventually.

Really it was telling a story for new audiences with just some tipping of the hat to the old, loyal fans. I mean it's still a kids movie and none of these kids today were alive for the first, so it's whatever.
>>
>>64602595
>What did Toy Story 3 add to this?
This time it also showed Andys point of view of having to give up his toys.
Since the movies were always about the toys it obviously couldn't be 90 minutes of andys having angst over losing his toys and becoming an adult so they added the daycare plot in, but the main point of the third movie was: The toys are not andys anymore
>>
>>64602595
Well put.

Have a video that says the exact same thing.

http://www.yourmoviesucks.org/2013/03/yms-toy-story-3.html
>>
>>64604042
>but the main point of the third movie was: The toys are not andys anymore

They flirted with the possible application of the same idea already in TS2. If you meant the point was 'Andy must give up his toys eventually', then that's probably closer to the truth.

I suppose TS3 IS distinct from TS2 in that it's about kids not lasting forever, rather than toys not lasting forever.

But the script for TS3 also follows the same formula of TS2 to the letter, with the addition of a bunch of really stupid and avoidable continuity errors.
>>
>>64602595
>Doesn't resolve anything, they will just have to go through the process all over again

You missed the entire point of the movie. Eventually they'll get to an owner so autistic that he never grows up.
>>
>>64602595
It works on a meta level. It's completely meant to be a nostalgia trip and goodbye to a franchise that was important to generation Y.

It's not about the characters, it's about the audience.
>>
>>64604042
>This time it also showed Andys point of view of having to give up his toys.

....WHO THE FUCKS CARES!!. He's in goddamn college, most people give that shit up in Jr Goddamn High, that's not endearing that's pathetic
>>
>another Toy Story movie
>nowhere near enough Slinky Dog (RIP Jim Varney)
>no RC

Pixar let me down.
>>
>>64604404
says the person who is still watching cartoons
>>
>>64604422
and who cares about him or any of us? no one, that's who
>>
>>64604354
This. It came out right around the time that kids who saw the originals were starting college. It was basically Pixar saying directly to the viewer. "Your childhood is officially over. Fuck off."
>>
>>64604408
>Landfill conveyor-belt scene.
>Slinky is pulled up to the ceiling by a huge magnet.
>Everybody else has to grab something metal, or be shredded.
>On the other side, all the metal is still on the ceiling, but everybody has jumped down.
>Slinky got down too, presumably by magic.

Killed the movie for me when this, and some other stupid shit, was pointed out to me.
>>
>>64602595
>Seriously, what was with Jessie's line, "It's like Emily all over again"? The point of her character arc in TS2 was learning to accept love again, knowing the pain it would bring. All this thrown out the window with that one stupid line.

There's a big difference between accepting that something bad will happen years down the line and having to deal with it while it's actually going down. Are you seriously autistic OP? You sound autistic, focusing way too much on vague themes at the expense of in-character behavior.
>>
3 is a far superior film than 2, I always thought 2 felt pointless besides introducing Jesse and whatnot. By the end everything is just neatly wrapped up with a little bow, but 3 felt so consequential, such a big shift in the story and characters. Plus it made me cry. A lot.
>>
>>64602595
>"It's like Emily all over again"

I don't remember how she delivered this line, but I don't think it could have been that big a problem. Accepting a tragic event in your past and coming to terms with it is not the same as pretending it didn't hurt at the time, and that it wouldn't hurt again.
>>
>>64604434
you yourself
>>
>>64604555
nope. fraid not
>>
>>64604567
then there is something wrong with you, so don't blame the movie for that
>>
>>64604542
Toy Story 3 was a rehash of Toy Story 2.

>>64604068
>>64604068
>>
Yeah I guess you kinda have a point.

Still, I appreciate the toys facing their own mortality. I mean actually facing it, not just the idea of it. Both in being left in the attic and literally at the junkyard. It's easy to talk about love and happiness and appreciation during the good times, but then years pass and you're actually confronted with that terrible fate and it's like, damn.

It's like at the end of a sad movie when the couple realizes they can't be together long, because she's leaving or he's dying, and they learn to cherish the time they have together. Only then he actually does die and then you portray how to deal with it and move on.
>>
>>64604577

Toy Story 2 was a rehash of TS1.

TS1
Woody is afraid of being replaced and loosing andy and comes to accept it

TS2
Woody is afraid Andy won't need him anymore and learns to accept it
>>
>>64602595
>going for a bit of cheap drama at the expense of character development

Drama > Character development.
>>
File: 1397778798364.jpg (60 KB, 750x749) Image search: [Google]
1397778798364.jpg
60 KB, 750x749
It's about the cycle of death AND rebirth, OP.

Might be too deep for you.
>>
>>64604677
>Woody is afraid of being replaced and loosing andy and comes to accept it

Very interesting point.

Although he doesn't actually accept it, or need to, as his fear of being replaced is mainly just his being paranoid (and is portrayed as such). Woody's arm being torn off in the second film, and his fear of being thrown away or otherwise unwanted, is a much more tangible threat.

Plus, the second film introduces the whole idea of toys being collected and put on exhibition, to last forever, and whether that is more or less desirable than being played with for a limited time but then grown out of.

They're both big themes of the second film, but the latter is definitely given more screen-time and emotional weight. If anything, the arm debacle serves more as a device to bring the movie to that point. So it's expanding on the original ideas, where TS3 just retreads them.
>>
>>64604677
No. Toy story two is a flipped toy story 1, with Buzz in Woody´s position.
>>
Al of them are awful
>>
>>64604742
This. Attic is Purgatory, Daycare is Hell, Dump is Oblivion.
>>
File: 139345426918.png (140 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
139345426918.png
140 KB, 500x750
>>
File: 139345433676.png (102 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
139345433676.png
102 KB, 500x750
>>64607950
>>
File: 139345440349.png (116 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
139345440349.png
116 KB, 500x750
>>64607963
>>
File: 139345448079.png (155 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
139345448079.png
155 KB, 750x650
>>64607972
>>
>>64607972
>>64607982
This makes me feel funny...
>>
>>64607950
>>64607963
>>64607972
>>64607982
>No nips
Awww-
>Amputee
--www yis
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.