[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the nature of "practical costumes"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82
File: bullshit.jpg (199 KB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
199 KB, 1200x1697
Why is it at all necessary that the ouftiting of low-fantasy characters be confined by practicality?

A leather jacket is no more protective than a skin-tight fabric made of fictional high-strength materials; if anything it's lesser protection.

And let's get one thing straight: is the character going to suffer potentially mortal injuries?

If the answer is no then they don't even require the pretense of armor.

The nature of these boots, meanwhile, is antithetical to anyone hoping to be either acrobatic or silent and therefore meaninglessly impractical in every sense.

There is an argument for practicality in outfitting women who will be engaged in combat.

This travesty of a design does not serve that purpose, nor is it functionally superior in any way to prior Batgirl designs.

Now I ask you to defend it somehow on that basis.
>>
You forgot to mention tumblr and feminism.
>>
It's a great design, who gives a shit if it's practical

You cannot expect me to believe there are people who liked her first new 52 costume more
>>
I can't get over that damn mask. If she turns around too fast it'll go flying off.
>>
>>63512048
>Why is it at all necessary that the ouftiting of low-fantasy characters be confined by practicality?

Because people who read low-fantasy, low power characters often find realism and practicality to be appealing, hence the like of those types of characters.

>A leather jacket is no more protective than a skin-tight fabric made of fictional high-strength materials; if anything it's lesser protection

Okay.

>And let's get one thing straight: is the character going to suffer potentially mortal injuries?

The character would be prepared to suffer mortal injuries.

>he nature of these boots, meanwhile, is antithetical to anyone hoping to be either acrobatic or silent and therefore meaninglessly impractical in every sense.

Okay.

>There is an argument for practicality in outfitting women who will be engaged in combat.

Okay.

>This travesty of a design does not serve that purpose, nor is it functionally superior in any way to prior Batgirl designs.

Okay.

>Now I ask you to defend it somehow on that basis.

No.
>>
>>63512048
Why are you spamming?
Also the point of this costume is it's her homemade costume because her regular one is in the shop or some shit.

Also I'd never defend anything because "Realism", Realism in Superhero comics is bullshit, even the most realistic of heroes are still bullshit. The only reason I'd want tacticool bullshit is if the character is supposed to y''know....tacticool. So basically just Punisher and his ilk.
>>
>this re-design is more practical oriented

People were saying this? Aside from the shoes, there's nothing more practical about this than her old suit.
>>
>>63512048
>There is an argument for practicality in outfitting women who will be engaged in combat.

It's part of the feminist mission to destroy attractive female characters by ridding them of form-fitting costumes that reveal their sexuality and putting them in masculine costumes instead, and punish men for being attracted to them.

They've taken over comics. Pretty soon, all of the Earth members of the GLC will be chicks. They've already introduced a chick one, but made her "Power Ring" to make it less obvious.
>>
>>63512189
>It's part of the feminist mission to destroy attractive female characters by ridding them of form-fitting costumes that reveal their sexuality and putting them in masculine costumes instead, and punish men for being attracted to them.

Why do white people of all political affiliations think everything is a conspiracy to destroy the type of white person they are?

Tumblr does it, /pol/ does it and now /co/ does it.
>>
It's not "necessary", it's a welcome change after all these decades.
>>
Wait what happend? She has a new costume now? Or was this just a cover?
>>
As someone who watches Arrow, in-which a man in tight leather pants runs around in ways he shouldn't even be able to I have no problem with it.
>>
>>63512240
New costume and new creative team
>>
>cape that can unholster

I look forward to the inevitable attempt to drag her down only for that to cause the villain to fall to his or her death alone.
>>
>>63512246

Finally, is it an all new start or we're continuing off new52?
>>
>>63512048
I like the boob-shaped jacket with the X on it better.
>>
>>63512077
Flimsy domino masks have stayed on characters faces for over 70 years now.

I'm sure she'll manage
>>
>>63512242

But a leather jacket is normal for a regular superhero like Green Arrow.

But when they put Batgirl in a leather jacket, they are trying to obscure her femininity because feminists think attractive females are bad and dislike that men enjoy them. I mean, they even gave her monoboob now.
>>
>>63512262
It sounds like it will be completely different from her new 52 book so far

It starts in October with batgirl 35

http://www.mtv.com/news/1864359/batgirl-exclusive-dc-comics/
>>
>>63512275
Sport gum is a thing.
I doubt she has her entire head covered in it.
>>
>>63512077
It's a comic book not a live action mask

Who cares
>>
>>63512322
*spirit gum
I hate typing on a phone.
>>
>>63512048
For Christ's sake, she is a damn comic book character. The things she does are fictional, and meant to be enjoyed to a degree where their inherant fantastical nature shouldn't ever be a problem in the first place? Why is is so easy to believe in an imaginary fabric that offers protection from knives or bullets, or a man to be able to jump from building to building, and fight harded criminals night after night for decades without dying on the job, but dress a girl in a motorcycle jack, and give her boots, AND WHOA! THATS TOO MUCH!!! It looks fun, and I'm excited to read it. Unless you were a die hard fan of the book as it was, which I highly doubt, I think you're talking out of your ass. Please stop.
>>
But it's no longer sexist because her titties aren't accentuated.

Tits = Automatic sexism.
>>
>>63512292
That's because feminists hate strong female characters who display their sex appeal and use it in an empowering way over men. They want female characters who are written exactly like men, being aggressive, always the team leader, and other buzzwords like "independent," "smart," "classy," "decisive," whatever.
>>
>>63512217
why bring race into it
>>
>>63512375
What's sexist about tits?
Women have tits.

Are women sexist?

What does "sexism" even mean?
>>
>>63512048
Let's alienate the majority of the existing readers so we can finally get all those new female readers!

>Book is cancelled due to low sales
>>
>>63512292
>>63512377
She still looks plenty feminine to me. I don't need boob-hugging tacticool metal-spandex to confirm that for me.
>>
>>63512130

>Why are you spamming?
Because everytime he's made this thread, it's resulted in a 500+ post circlejerk about tumblr and feminism. If you find an effective trolling method, why not use it?
>>
>>63512309

Not completely apparently.

What's /co/'s equivalent to /a/s three episode rule?
>>
>>63512379

Why bring sex into it?
>>
>>63512379

Why bring feminism into it.
>>
>>63512394

Stop asking completely logical questions.

Even women know their own tits are sexist
>>
>>63512409
Three issues

Also it's new writers, a brand new artist, they're literally setting stuff from Simone's run on fire, it's about as different as you can get
>>
>>63512359
>For Christ's sake, she is a damn comic book character. The things she does are fictional, and meant to be enjoyed to a degree where their inherant fantastical nature shouldn't ever be a problem in the first place?

Because they don't want us to enjoy it. To the feminists, it is bad for men to enjoy a female body, even in a fantasy genre read almost entirely by men.
Instead, they cover up the women, and force the Hawkeye Initiative on us.

>>63512375
Not allowing tits is the real sexism. It's sexist against men for making deviant our sexuality.
>>
File: soft-serve ice cream.jpg (2 MB, 1314x1764) Image search: [Google]
soft-serve ice cream.jpg
2 MB, 1314x1764
>Frozen and its titty parade are the most popular thing in the last 20 years of animation
>But girls don't like cute, shapely, outfits, no, that's impossible and sexist and stop forcing women to like being attractive, non-trans scum.
>>
>>63512395

If Batgirl wearing a new costume that doesn't show off her tits and ass as much alienates existing readers, they probably weren't doing much in the way of reading anyway.
>>
>This thread

You guys are literally just as whiny and 'persecuted' as tumblr but for different reasons. This is hilarious.
>>
I think the fact that most of the complaints are "it's not realistic enough" and "I can't see her tits anymore" means it's a pretty good costume
>>
>>63512453
They were buying.

You want there to be less incentive for horny fanboys to buy comic books.

For what possible reason will this help anyone?
>>
>>63512445

I was asking more about the canon, as in if I had to read the previous 35 issues to read this one.

Might be the case.
>>
>>63512048

The huge exposed ears with lots of earrings are really fucking annoying on that design. Also the boots. Why?
>>
File: New-God-Orion-Cliff-Chiang-2.jpg (52 KB, 387x500) Image search: [Google]
New-God-Orion-Cliff-Chiang-2.jpg
52 KB, 387x500
>>63512402
Yeah, I mean it's clearly a feminine style leather jacket, not unlike what a lot of women wear today. But modified for cape actions.

Orion is no less manly because he wears Chiang's motorcycle jacket inspired costume instead of a tight-costume that shows off every single one of his masculine muscles.
>>
>>63512486
Oh. Nah I really doubt that you'll have to read Simone's run for the new one

I don't plan to anyway
>>
>>63512481

Why do you want horny kids reading your cape comics? What, you'd rather horny teenagers be associated with you than women?
>>
>/co/ hates generic Bat-series bullshit like Simone's Batgirl and Death in the Family
>Comics should be more fun!
>new creative team announced for Batgirl
>gets rid of Simone garbage, attempting to be more fun and lighhearted
>/co/ flips shit about tumblr and feminism and all kinds of other horseshit
>>
>>63512451
Women aren't one monolithic entity who only have one shared desire and thought.

Fucking variety man.
>>
>>63512481
>people who were buying Batgirl to jerk off to it won't buy it anymore!
oh no how will DC ever recover?
>>
>>63512451

All women hate their titties and vagoo, Anon. What are you talking about?

Especially the lesbians, they all wanna fuck womenmen and not women.
>>
I wonder if /co/ randomly approaches women wearing leather jackets in the street and accuse them of being tumblrfags.
>>
>>63512488
Because stop finding femininity attractive and turn gay already, faggot.
>>
>>63512509

Women are fine, they just need to stop making fun of my penis.
>>
>>63512554

But it's such a small penis, anon.
>>
>>63512502

Well I mean it literally says tired aftering finding out her brother is a murderer (I didn't it read it like you, had no idea she had a brother, let alone a murderer) she leaves Gotham

Maybe it'll just be a footnote
>>
>>63512402
Yeah, I don't understand why people are whining so much about this new costume. It looks more like they're going for fashionable than for "realism." And if you're going to complain about dumb costumes, why not complain about Batgirl's previous LINES LINES LINES tacticool armor suit? People are just complaining about this new design because it's different from the superhero norm.
>>
We already have this topic:

>>63503776
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 771x881) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 771x881
>>63512481
I think there will be plenty incentive to keep buying

Have you seen the artists' stuff? I mean damn
>>
>>63512540

Nah, I just get erections and cry that I'll never know the intentional touch of another human being.
>>
>>63512570
Who is this supposed to be enticing?

Pedophiles?
>>
>>63512500
But it's normal for male characters like Orion to wear leather jackets or armor or things that aren't form-fitting, because men derive their status from what they do rather than how they look, which is why they are expected to have good jobs and money and be good with tools and things.

With Batgirl, putting her in a suit that hides her in a leather jacket that obscures her body is a blatant attempt to hide her femininity and make her less attractive. And, seeing as being attractive is important for females, it actually makes her less of a strong female character, which the feminists would realize is shooting themselves in the foot if they were smart enough or actually cared about girls.
>>
>>63512540
You know damn well none of these people have ever gone up to a real life woman and said anything to her
>>
>>63512566

Is my 3 inch penis really so small...?

... No, it's the vagina's that wrong.
>>
>>63512597

But I'm so scared of being accused of rape...

I mean I look like Boco, and I'm about as tall.
>>
>>63512594
>thinking I don't want to have sex with jacket-girl more
>>
>>63512594

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Hats off to you. I have no response to this.
>>
>>63512594
>With Batgirl, putting her in a suit that hides her in a leather jacket that obscures her body

Have you even seen the new design? It's not really obscuring her body. Her new costume still highlights her figure pretty well, it's just that the artist is actually drawing fabrics rather than drawing a naked person and splashing body paint over it.
>>
>>63512594
Not sure if mra or just pretending
>>
That looks disgustingly like someone's DevArt redesign. Ew.
>>
>>63512643
Yes, Tumblrites have a penchant for shutting down in the face of rational conversation, the use of logic, or a point they cannot handle. You're just mad that anon #rekt this pandering costume.

>>63512568
That one was at least tight and didn't hide her body like some Muslim berka
>>
File: 1395200914605.jpg (14 KB, 179x287) Image search: [Google]
1395200914605.jpg
14 KB, 179x287
>>63512510
Have you seen any threads besides this one? The initial reception was really positive except for like two shitposters who got mad.

>>63512500
Fucking this. If this doesn't strip Orion of his masculinity, how does this strip Babs of her femininity? How the fuck is boob-hugging metal spandex

my god I love Chiang's Orion. Azzarello/Chiang Orion book when

>>63512568
Agreed. Batgirl's current costume is some dime-a-dozen bullshit. This is pretty unique and actually says "Batgirl" to me. Almost reminds me of the TNBA costume except more... leather-y.

It also seems reasonably functional to be honest. For example, if some superpowered fuck tried to pull on the cape thing (which might be kind of a glidey thing too, I'm not sure), it'd come off.

People are also calling her a "teenybopper" and saying she looks twelve... and I'm just sitting here wondering if they've ever looked at a college student in their lives.

>>63512594
>With Batgirl, putting her in a suit that hides her in a leather jacket that obscures her body is a blatant attempt to hide her femininity and make her less attractive. And, seeing as being attractive is important for females, it actually makes her less of a strong female character, which the feminists would realize is shooting themselves in the foot if they were smart enough or actually cared about girls.
Oh my fucking God.
>>
>>63512594
I find Batgirl's new design significantly more attractive than the one she had previously.
>>
>>63512623
Well I can see why you'd be scared

Just make sure your penis is inside your pants before you start lumbering towards her I guess?
>>
>>63512684

So, in your professional opinion, any woman who doesn't run around wearing only the tightest clothes which reveals their every feminine curve is giving in to some feminist conspiracy to deconstruct femininity and topple the patriarchy through wearing leather jackets and other less form-fitting clothes?
>>
>>63512684
And how exactly was the tacticool boob-hugging metal spandex no pandering?
>>
>>63512690
Azz's wordplay does have a theatrical, near-Shakespearian vibe to it sometimes. That quality plus Chiang on a New Gods comic would be killer
>>
>Orion and Batgirl will never press against each other, all hot and sweaty under their jackets
;_;
>>
>>63512728

Well, that's pandering to HIM, so it doesn't count.
>>
>>63512667
Funny that having any opinion that isn't feminist propaganda these days gets one labeled an MRA.

MRA are almost as bad as feminists.
>>
It looks awesome and you're just trying to stir up shit

You can't be seriously MUH-ing over her previous look when her last costume redesign was 36 issues ago

You're literally complaining just to complain. /v/ is thataway ->
>>
>>63512728
It was pandering to that guy instead of people that aren't him so obviously that means it's not actually pandering!
>>
>>63512728
Fuck off, tripfag.
>>
Aren't tights a bit archaic now? They worked on the Golden Age guys because they're what circus strong men wore. Nowadays when a new character that wasn't from that era tries that look, they just look unremarkable.
>>
>>63512749
>putting a jacket in a female character is feminist propaganda

man trolling or not these threads are good for some laughs
>>
>>63512667
What part of what he said isn't true ?

stupid faggot
>>
>>63512048

OP, why do you even care. They'll change it back in a year or two.
>>
>>63512784
>Aren't tights a bit archaic now?
Aren't rhetorical, leading, questions pointless ego masturbation intended to emptily support your point by assuming the negative and proposing it as law?
>>
>>63512774
Thanks for the counter argument

>>63512790
Because the jacket doesn't hide her femininity at all. She still clearly looks like a woman.
>>
>>63512048
to make it easy for hot chicks to cosplay
>>
>>63512690

a tripfag being a faggot?

HOW RARE!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: bg_cv18_ds.jpg (374 KB, 1987x3056) Image search: [Google]
bg_cv18_ds.jpg
374 KB, 1987x3056
>>63512395
>Let's alienate the majority of the existing readers so we can finally get all those new female readers!

No.

More like lets desperately try something new because we alienated our real readers by rebooting her with the new52 and destroying years of great canon and leaving her in the hands of a fucking hack writer who is only given work because she's the token "female dc writer"
>>
>>63512809
kill
your
self
tripfag
cancer
>>
>>63512715

I'm afraid I just can't do that.
>>
>>63512292
>because feminists
Stopped reading here.
>>
>>63512048
I don't care if it's practical or not, I like the shoulders. The fact that it's being promoted as a practical costume is dumb but it isn't a big deal.
>>
>>63512718
>feminist conspiracy to deconstruct femininity and topple the patriarchy

Well, that would be impossible because there is no patriarchy. Women have it better than men because they aren't in dangerous, high-risk jobs like construction or CEOs, and they get to get time off work to do domestic "work" like babysitting and housecleaning, which is essentially just eating chips and watching soap operas with a sponge in your hand.

>>63512728
Not that anon, but men are the primary readers of comic books anyway, so it's normal for comics to appeal to them, while trying to appeal to people who don't even care about them and make fun of them is the real pandering.

And, evolutionary theory even states that females are supposed to be attractive because their survival depends on access to male providers, and male gene survival depends on them getting women, so it's more natural for girls to be sexy.
>>
>>63512048
>Why is it at all necessary that the ouftiting of low-fantasy characters be confined by practicality?
I don't see why a series shouldn't be able confine itself to that, in this case I think it's a mostly snazzy looking design

I'd make the lower strap for the pouch blend in with the leg since it doesn't help to break up the figure there, but otherwise this is a pretty solid looking design if you want a take on a Bat family that doesn't rely on crazy future-materials for everything.

Not saying it's more realistic per se, but appropriate if you want to make something where the Bats are more an oddly dressed detectives/vigilantes than the near-invincible beings we know them as.

What I'm saying is, this looks like what would happen if DC for whatever reason licensed out Batgirl to Popular Mechanics. And really, would you not read that?
>>
>>63512822
Dude vidya sales are in the shitter right now and a good deal of the reason is SJW pushing their shit on the industry and the industry caving.

It is bad business to cave to the demand of a demographic that do not and will not buy your product.
>>
>>63512728
Fucking #rekt
>>
>>63512048
It isn't practical as a get up either. It is a hipster/goth design mix plain and simple. You're acting like she has MOLLE or codura OP tac pants. Even her drop holster is attached wrong to her duty... im sorry "utility" belt.

Captain America First Avenger is something i would consider more practical.
>>
>>63512866

Jesus.

How much did you hate your mum?
>>
>>63512594
It doesn't hide any feminity, it's just stylized in a different way than boobsock tights. It has seams which accents the chest and waist, it's tight as a jacket can get and it's accented by butt hugging tights. There are many ways to design something feminine and there are many ways to attractiveness.

The thing about "strong female character" is that its a very easily misunderstood term. Strong does not mean the literal strength of the character but the thoroughness of how its written.
>>
File: batgirl2.jpg (52 KB, 578x1045) Image search: [Google]
batgirl2.jpg
52 KB, 578x1045
>>63512048
If we wanted practical then everyone should look like pic related. It offers actual protection but remains light enough to still perform acrobatics and self defense.

But that is boring and everyone looks the same. So when you read the word "practical" in terms of superheroes you need to throw away any idea of the above. that's not how they are defining it. Instead it means "more casual" or "more everyday" It's a turn to make cape costumes more like everyday clothing that still retains the older looks.

The boots and jacket are exactly this. You wouldn't bat an eye at the that look one someone walking down the street (ignore the color and design just look at basics). The cape and leather is maintain the older look.

It's a fusion between the two and naturally it's going to be divisive between the two camps
>>
>>63512448
>To the feminists, it is bad for men to enjoy a female body, even in a fantasy genre read almost entirely by men.
I find sexier this new costume for some reason. And I apreciate how it stands out.
Do you want something more skin tight? You can always read, you know, every other female superhero ever.
>>
>>63512813
More like to make it easy for fat convention Tumblrwhales get to cosplay as Batgirl, by getting rid of the form-fitting costumes that only girls with nice bodies can fit into, and slapping a frumpy old jacket on her.

We don't need more of this.
>>
>>63512874
Are SJWs even making leeway in games? As far as I can see it's still the same old shit.
>>
>>63512804
Are they? You seem like you'd know. Along with how to be evasive.
>>
File: 1400779908734.jpg (44 KB, 349x466) Image search: [Google]
1400779908734.jpg
44 KB, 349x466
>>63512448
>To the feminists, it is bad for men to enjoy a female body, even in a fantasy genre read almost entirely by men.
>Instead, they cover up the women, and force the Hawkeye Initiative on us.
Oh my god. Are you serious? How many other titillating characters are out there? So you lose one? BFD. Have you seen her old costume? It was a cluttered LINES!!! mess, and the book was Batman stories featuring Batgirl, but only when it wasn't tied into this month's half assed crossover. If the new creative team is to be believed, the book is going to feel a bit more lighthearted, which is a shot in the arm of fun that DC had been depriving us of for so long. I couldn't be happier about this. As for not seeing tits bouncing all over the place, where is your imagination sir? This is a younger looking, more cheerful Babs, who still has a rocking rack under that jacket. How the fuck is this any less attractive? My god, do you have no sense of foreplay, or the chase before the catch? Pic related
Also, what the hell is the Hawkeye initiative?
>>
File: awesomemanconcepts5.jpg (203 KB, 852x933) Image search: [Google]
awesomemanconcepts5.jpg
203 KB, 852x933
Can I sue DC I designed a character with very similar colours and attributes.
>>
>>63512866
>muh evopsych
>>
>>63512951

It basically is the same old shit but now you can blame it all on the feminists when something's shitty.
>>
>>63512476
I believe is only one samefag. Don't know if baiting or not.
>>
>>63512951
>Are SJWs even making leeway in games?

are you in a cave somewhere?
>>
>>63512874
What are you talking about.
I didn't make any argument stating that I believed they re doing this all for a "new female" demographic. I was saying that with the new 52

THEY FUCKED BATGIRL UP. THAT BOOK WAS BORING AS SHIT. AND JUST COMPLETELY GOD AWFUL.
>>
>>63512970
>yay it's cool to be a circlejerk and spout the same opinions!
>oh no, some anons disagree with us!
>they must be samefag
>>
>>63512951
Yes and no.
Blizzard doesn't give a fuck
Bioware is sucking lesbian strap on and gay asshole
>>
>>63512972
Give examples, then
>>
>>63512924
This fag understands.
>>
>>63512989
Well when the opinions are uniformly terrible it gets hard to believe that multiple people can actually have them
>>
>>63512918
It's the feminists who hated girls and mothers, because they think women should act exactly like men, instead of valuing female traits.
These are the people who want put women into dangerous roles, like cops, soldiers, and CEOs, rather than protecting them. They hate women, not us.

>>63512921
>The thing about "strong female character" is that its a very easily misunderstood term.

But feminists aren't letting female heroes be strong because they are stripping them of their sexual attractiveness and sexual power. Instead, they think that in order to be "strong," they have to be exactly like men, or be "smart sassy independent girls who don't need no man"
>>
File: Big Barda 2.jpg (81 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 2.jpg
81 KB, 500x647
>>63512731
Would you, /co/?
>>
Because some people don't understand what art is, and they think that art should conform to their own particular worldview or set of values.

In this case, people who value practicality and probability in art have trouble understanding different approaches. I bet you dollars to donuts these same people have trouble appreciating something like abstract visual art or high fantasy written art. They try to define art in a way that's meaningful to them without considering that other people find meaning in different ways.

It doesn't help that this particular person doesn't seem to understand anything about practicality nor are they conscious of the entire situation. They added a matte black stripe down the side of the legs for, I assume, camouflage purposes but kept the brightly-colored yellow boots, gloves, bat symbol, and inside of the cape so that she could be spotted easily no matter where she's hiding? Add a cape that snaps on and off but didn't think about how a cape is, in-and-of itself, highly impractical in real-life situations (particularly where gymnastics or acrobatics might be involved)? Keeps her hair flowing freely instead of done up to ensure it doesn't get in her face or get grabbed in a fight? A heavy leather jacket and thick boots that would interfere with movement and weigh her down instead of something light and flexible like sheets of carbon-nanotubes, for instance? The fucking mask isn't even secured on her head, it would go flying off with even moderate activity.
>>
I'm confused (and haven't read the thread). Do people have a problem with that design or something?
>>
>>63513042
Oh my god
>>
>>63512972
Dragonage
World of warcraft
>>
>>63512958
>Oh my god. Are you serious? How many other titillating characters are out there? So you lose one? BFD.
Feminist in a nutshell. Gotta bug /b/ about another raid. Muh triggers
>>
>>63512402
>>63512480
>>63512630
>>63512654
>>63512711

This. The new design is a hell of a lot more attractive than the old and bust designs from before. Plus if they're really changing up the art style, that'll be even sexier than lackluster house style faggotry that permeates Batgirl now.

These Batgirl changes make me rigid.
>>
>>63513065
It's a cute and feminine design so obviously it's evil and terrible

>>63513049
A million times yes
>>
people only start caring about practicality and realism when they don't like something. people don't give a shit about this in arrow. and this is a costume that actually fits with bab's personality
>>
>>63512924
I'd say it's less about making everything as practical as possible, but still to some degree about having each character wear something that they themselves think is practical.
Even if they have some good sense, most of them aren't under the command of any central standardization agency, and they all have their own priorities and biases, so I don't expect all of them to be the same even if they did an alright job at trying for practicality.
>>
>>63513062
It's supposed to look like actual clothing which it does, and the yellow is there because it's always been there

Way to overthink a simple design dude
>>
>>63513065
Some guys are using the design as a very thinly veiled excuse to bitch about feminists.
>>
>>63512958
>How many other titillating characters are out there? So you lose one? BFD

It starts with one, but they will gradually sanitize all of them.

>>63512972
Just ask Anita Sarkeesian
>>
>>63513104
Yeah people want to hate it so they'll rip even the nitpickiest minor things to shreds because they can't find any real flaws
>>
I was wondering where all the spergs that constantly bitch about 4chan and tumblr had gotten to.

Do remain in your containment threads. Thank you.
>>
>Tumblr SJWs complain about costumes being unrealistic and impractical
Oh no! Hear the voice of people! We must quickly change these costumes!
>/co/ complains about costumes being unrealistic and impractical
But it's still cute! Fuck off, you virgins
>>
>>63513127
same as every other day on the internet
>>
>>63513049
Like the fist of an angry New God
>>
>>63513049
Yes, and when I get a boner to make sex with Barda, it is with three billion dicks.
>>
It was either on House to Astonish or SILENCE!, they were talking about what makes the New 52 Superman costume so stupid.

They said that superhero costumes have never been made from "material", because it didn't matter. Since it was fiction and drawn Superman's tights basically ARE his skin for all intents and purposes.

But in a movie, you're working with real materials so you have to add texture and practicality to the suit or it'll look stupid; in real life tights don't look like skin, they look like tights.

The problem arises when, because of the success of the movies, artists think they now have to add extraneous detail and functionality to the DRAWN characters as well, and this just comes off as fucking retarded like in Superman's new costume with all the random lines and pads on it.

In the case of Babs it's similarly misguided, it's meant to answer a question nobody asked, and the functionality of a costume doesn't come into question until you try to add functionality to it. It just raises more new questions, like where does she keep all those batarangs, how does she get them so fast, where's all the hundreds of feet of rope she must need, can those boots even keep good traction, etc.

It's more fuel to this completely pointless "realism" movement that the movie going casuals are bringing with them.
>>
File: Fedora'd Gentleman.jpg (432 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Fedora'd Gentleman.jpg
432 KB, 1200x1600
ITT
>>
fuck you mra faggot

u should be raped

- totally a feminist and not an mra false-flagging faggot, like you fags are known for
>>
>>63513124

The problem is that this particular design was drawn up using "practicality" as an excuse, yet it's a terribly impractical design as well. In fact, I'd argue that this new design is hardly any more practical than whichever original design it's meant to replace.
>>
>>63513127

No, no, they're not bitching. They're crusading against the overwhelming power of tumblr, which will apparently sanitize everything that exists until no fun is allowed again, forever!
>>
File: Darkseid - Enjoy the Ride.jpg (175 KB, 421x405) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid - Enjoy the Ride.jpg
175 KB, 421x405
>>63513169
I laughed
>>
>>63513153

>Tumblr SJWs complain about costumes being unrealistic and impractical for stupid reasons

Fuck off.

>/co/ complain about costumes being unrealistic and impractical for stupid reasons

Fuck off.

>Anyone complains about costumes being unrealistic and impractical for legitimate reasons

Okay.
>>
File: Big Barda 47.jpg (108 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 47.jpg
108 KB, 500x667
>>63513049
Who the fuck wouldn't?
>>
You know this could have been an ogn or something like Earth 1 and did okay but they are not going to pull in outside readers with #35 on the cover and the hipster shit does not sell well with current readers as seen with Young Avengers. It will be a slow death for this book from here on out.
>>
>>63512958
>This is a younger looking, more cheerful Babs, who still has a rocking rack under that jacket. How the fuck is this any less attractive? My god, do you have no sense of foreplay, or the chase before the catch? Pic related
I agree with this, there is nothing wrong with leaving things to the imagination.
>>
>>63512817
>>63512835
No thanks, Lord Samefag.

>>63512822
This. The editor in charge of the Batbooks at the time should be fucking fired.

OH WAIT

>>63512866
>Not that anon, but men are the primary readers of comic books anyway, so it's normal for comics to appeal to them, while trying to appeal to people who don't even care about them and make fun of them is the real pandering.
It is normal, but that doesn't mean it's not clear, obvious pandering. The costume was designed by a woman, one who clearly enjoys superhero comics considering she's drawing them. What's wrong with her and Stewart as well making a design suited to their tastes? And hell, even if it was mandated, what's wrong with trying to appeal to a slightly differet demographic?

>And, evolutionary theory even states that females are supposed to be attractive because their survival depends on access to male providers, and male gene survival depends on them getting women, so it's more natural for girls to be sexy.
And how is a form-fitting leather jacket like this not sexy? Is it because it doesn't have her boobs in a vice grip? She's still clearly attractive.

And also, how the fuck does that mean that all female superhero costumes should accentuate their sexuality? There's more to women than that.

You have a weird view of women.
>>
>>63513115
That's what I was kinda getting at. Practicality in terms of "what is best for my defense" isn't the goal here. It's about personal style of the character matching trends in fashion today.

And personal defense isn't the goal because it all trends in the same direction which becomes boring. Can't change up shoulder and knee pads. And when you try to it starts to lose it's practicality (see every fucking "Knight" design)
>>
but the other outfit was seeker

I don't get it, why is my entertainment media telling me I can't like sexystuff
>>
>>63513194

>Sanitise everything

All this from wearing a fucking leather jacket instead of tight spandex.

The funniest part is she's still wearing spandex on her legs.
>>
>>63513202
>Judge has more Chiang Barda

Miracles
>>
>>63513005
But Bioware has always tried to do that. Look up Juhani.
>>
>>63513180
>tumblr.com meme
Get back
Get back
Get back to where you once belonged
>>
>>63512048
>/co/
>defdending boobsocks
never change
>>
>>63513230

>but the other outfit was seeker

*but the other outfit was SEXIER

stupid autocorrect
>>
"removing the Homestuck General would improve the board" they said
"there will be less shitposting" they said
>>
>>63513192
It's a jacket, pants and boots, I don't see how that's somehow not more practical than the one piece tacticool suit she had
>>
>>63513083
>MUH FEMINISM
Make a goddamn counterargument. Is is an inaccurate point? I ask as someone who raged at original New 52 Peej's lack of a tit window. Babs's old costume was Lee line trash. THis new one looks cute, and fun, and I couldn't be happier about it. Does Babs wearing a motorcycle mean every other female character is going to put on a burka? No. You'll still have almost every other character, as well as an internet's worth of rule 34 of old Babs. Besides, you're out of your mind if you don't think there is going to be some great new content that can be made with this costume. Again, get some damn imagination.
>>
>>63513267
On condition that you go back to reddit, sure.
>>
>>63513272

I'm pretty sure it's just a small handful of really angry guys.

Personally, I'm all for more outfits that actually look like outfits. Though the bent belt doesn't do it for me at all.
>>
>>63512866
That was so /r9k/ I temporarily became a goon.

>>63513042
Tyrone Gayblade pls
>>
So, to summarize:

"This is a victory for feminists and SJWs everywhere, fuck comic book fans!"

Versus:

"This is all because of feminists and SJWs! They ruin everything"

I like the outfit.
>>
File: Big Barda 08.jpg (52 KB, 463x746) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 08.jpg
52 KB, 463x746
>>63513254
Silly anon, that's her husband!
>>
>>63513049
>poor man's Wonder Woman
Not even with a stolen dick.
>>
>>63513272
I don't like boobsocks.

I just don't like hypocrisy and lying either.
SJWs were all like "we want a practical realistic costume", when instead all they wanted was a hipster trendy one.
>>
>>63513232
>The funniest part is she's still wearing spandex on her legs.

>not tight leather pants

It's like you don't even know sexy.
>>
>>63513230
Nothing is telling you you can't like sexy stuff. They're just offering something different to the same old sexy stuff we've already seen dozens of times before.
>>
>>63513301
I swear Dr Pyscho would make a really cool villain.

Mostly because just around the net you see guys with his EXACT personality. It's uncanny.
>>
>>63513299
Why? I'm not posting Reddit memes here
>>
>>63512542
This is the only way to make the feminists happy.

>>63512594
Exactly. Feminists are afraid of real strong female characters who use their sexiness because they are all envious landwhales
>>
>>63513313
>SJWs were all like "we want a practical realistic costume"
[citation needed]
>>
>>63512958
>Also, what the hell is the Hawkeye initiative?

A funny website about how a lot of comic book artists have no fucking clue about anatomy.
>>
>>63513313
Narrative practicality anon.

a story that goes out of its way to throw tits at you doesn't respect you as a reader.

What actual service to the armature is onde by having magical form fitting boobsocks?

Sebastian is acrab that can talk because the premise requires Ariel being from a kingdom of fish

Batman's tires are pumped so he can use the batmobile.

In what way do latex tittays service the narrative?
>>
>>63512048
>Now I ask you to defend it somehow on that basis.

Making girls sexy is oppression!
>>
>>63513287
Her movement and flexibility are restricted, her footsteps are more audible, she'll have less stability on small leges and any other place requiring her to be nimble of foot; which, this being a Batgirl design is kind of fucking important.

I mean, are you trying to be a retarded asshole?
>>
>>63512958
>Also, what the hell is the Hawkeye initiative?

Artist redraw cheesecake covers with hawkeye instead of the female on display.
>>
File: 1253299806475.jpg (11 KB, 435x318) Image search: [Google]
1253299806475.jpg
11 KB, 435x318
>>63513312
>implying Diana the virgin can compare to the Four Post Fury that is Barda
Get a load of this guy, anons.
>>
Is this what will replace "DC is so edgy and grimderp what happened to fun" shitposting?
Because if so, I already miss the Squirrel Girl wanker.
>>
>>63512189
If the SJWs have there way, we'll also have an all minority Justice League that fights evil corporations and saves us from global warming and hobby lobby.
>>
>>63513312
>implying Barda isn't strictly superior to Wonder Woman

Better origin, more interesting background, taller, more sci-fi, better outfits, more easily adapted into other media effectively.

Barda > Diana
>>
>>63513294
But the purpose wasn't to redesign a costume; the idea is to shame to shame fans and artists into self-censoring their interest in sex appeal.
>>
>>63513357
So, are you one of these guys who opposed Superman's and Batman's shorts-and-leggings classic look?
>>
>>63513357
It's not about narrative, it's about sales, and tits and ass=sales.

You want lower profits for no discernable reason except "I don't like tits". Which makes you a fucking Muslim psychotic or something.
>>
File: jfk.png (144 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
jfk.png
144 KB, 500x288
>>63513357
>In what way do latex tittays service the narrative?

Latex titties totally service the narrative. And by narrative, I er-ah mean my dick.
>>
This costume isn't even significantly less sexy than her old one. Big deal, they got rid of the body paint top. That jacket is still form-fit, you could still trace the outline of her hourglass with your tongue if you were so inclined. Plus nice tights on the legs. This costume falls just shy of classy.
>>
>>63513368

There are far more fucking retarded costume designs which /co/ never even mentions.
>>
File: Big Barda 16.jpg (165 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 16.jpg
165 KB, 600x906
>>63513311
>he has at least 47 Barda pics
>both so far are totally based

Would it be dishonorable to make this a Barda thread?
>>
>>63513368
If we're going full autist here, then:

>Her movement and flexibility are restricted
Not that much. There was fuckin' metal or whatever was all over her costume before. That couldn't have contributed to her mobility in any meaningful capacity. Leather's really not that flexibility-restricting if it's loose, either.

>her footsteps are more audible
What the fuck how

These boots are the same kinds of combat boots as before

>she'll have less stability on small leges and any other place requiring her to be nimble of foot
Her old boots were bulky too.
>>
>>63513399
>lol this is 4chan so i have to act like a retard right
No, you don't. Please, try not to be a faggot.
>>
File: batgirl_promo_poster2.jpg (447 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
batgirl_promo_poster2.jpg
447 KB, 1200x1600
>dem piercings

Mmm, I hope those stay
>>
So, how is turning a competent intellectual disabled heroine into a trendy partygirl socialite, a victory for feminism again?
>>
>>63513417
Listen, tripshit, I'm not comparing this with some arbitrary design you want to stack it up against, I'm comparing it against the ideal.

So shut the fuck up.

Stupid goddamn nigger.
>>
>>63513413

Yes, as we're not allowed to enjoy titties.
>>
>>63513394
Holy crap, could you keep your projections to yourself? You just spilled some on my shoe.
>>
>>63513465
I mean, look at this pic. The top looks identical except there's a zipper on the front now. How could anyone get this asspained over something so dumb? Taking away Zatanna's fishnets and PG's boob window, those were battles worth fighting.
>>
>>63513494
Feminists either want female characters who are crippled/battling cancer/dealing with being minorities, or ones that cover themselves up like Muslims.

They don't want sexy empowered ones, though. Just weak ones.
>>
>>63513368
No I just don't think things like that are really applicable in a comic book
>>
File: Big Barda 5.jpg (112 KB, 725x1020) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 5.jpg
112 KB, 725x1020
>>63513533
Aw, dang
>>
>>63513494
/thread
>>
>>63513494
SJWs are threatened by competent people who actually work their ass off to be good at what they do

Womanchildren are easier to relate for them
>>
>>63513516
You said
>more audible
>less mobility
Words that denote comparison. So, naturally, I figured that you were comparing it to the design that came before.

>So shut the fuck up.
>Stupid goddamn nigger.
W-why are you so angry, anon
>>
>>63513382
Yes, in October with stuff like Batgirl and Gotham Academy I expect more "feminists ruining muh DC why can't everything be gritty and sexy again??" shitposting
>>
>>63512048
>Lets give Batgirl a little boy body in a hijab drawn by an affirmative action chick artist! that'll show men!
--SJWs
>>
>>63513494
>socialite!!!
You again?
>>
>>63513413
Never. As someone who loves new Babs, I decree that there is nothing wrong with enjoying a less objectified costume, while also enjoying a solid pair of tits. Share away, based anon.
>>
There is only one rule to character designs: "does it look good?"

That's it. Everything else is secondary.
>>
>>63513494
>thinking someone smart can't be a trendy partygirl socialite
>>
>>63513494
Because you icky boys can't ogle her tits now! Neener-neener! Girls rule boys drool!
>>
>>63513599
Good thing they didn't do any of those things then huh
>>
/Co/ isn't what it used to be. This thread is proof that SJWs have conquered it.

>We Tumblr now
>>
>>63513494
this fucking guy
>>
Was this design formulated to make her more attractive to pederasts?
>>
>>63513634
You are somehow actively making this thread even worse than it already is

Stop
>>
>>63513621
>can't ogle her tits now
But you can.
>>
>>63512567

Usually new comic runs start off with "here's what you need to know, now let's get on to the new shit"
>>
>>63513647
No, don't be stupid.
>>
>>63513631
She's virtually indistinguishable from a Robin.

Where is anything that indicates she's even a girl in this design?
>>
File: Big Barda 18 - Gonzales.jpg (172 KB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 18 - Gonzales.jpg
172 KB, 792x1224
>>63513613
Thanks. I mostly just want to provoke Judge Anon into sharing his stash
>>
>>63513617
She was a great example of a hero using their wits to fight crime

Now she's a great example of a 20-something wanting to be a teenager by immersing herself in "youth culture", while not caring about justice
>>
File: Oracle_2.jpg (288 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
Oracle_2.jpg
288 KB, 659x1000
>>63513494
Yeah, at least when we had Oracle, she was still allowed to be sexy.

Pic related. Based Guillem March. He actually knows how to draw a female body in a nice and proper way, rather than making them look like little boys.
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 1280x827) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 1280x827
>>63513647
She doesn't look particularly childlike so probably not

The artist looks pretty good with fine adult women at least
>>
Gooks and kikes look good on spikes.
Head of a spic belongs on a stick.
Sic Doberman Pinschers on penny-pinchers.
Shoot tar babies like dogs with rabies
14/88
>>
>>63513621
Modern feminism in a nutshell.
>>
File: Big Barda - Barda.jpg (308 KB, 700x1063) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda - Barda.jpg
308 KB, 700x1063
>>63513673
Ahh, that was your plan all along! And now you post a picture of her with an eyepatch!
>>
>>63513677
>She was a great example of a hero using their wits to fight crime
Gail Simone's Batgirl? No.
>Now she's a great example of a 20-something wanting to be a teenager by immersing herself in "youth culture", while not caring about justice
Young adults do young adult things, grandpa.
>>
>>63513641
>>63513611
Yeah, me! Another anon who doesn't automatically agree with your circlejerk
Shocking, right?
>>
>>63513677
You have not read the comic. It's not even out yet.

Stop being stupid.
>>
>>63513672
>Where is anything that indicates she's even a girl in this design?
The visible curvy bust line, the hips that are accentuated by the jacket and the belt, the eyelashes, the full lips, the long hair are all pretty good indicators that there's a girl wearing that jacket
>>
>>63513494
Why can't she be both?

>>63513672
Indistinguishable from Tim, maybe...

>>63513689
>Guillem March
>Nice and proper way
Please stop trolling. March's anatomy is horrible and his women look freaky and deformed. And I actually like his art otherwise.
>>
>>63513690
Jesus fucking christ dude this is disgusting.

A gap-toothed whore with messy hair is somehow a "fine adult woman" to you?
>>
>>63513719
Your posts just stick out because they're fucking stupid and deliberately obtuse, is all
>>
>>63513397
It hides there dicks.

We've been over this anon
>>
>>63513677
>Simone Batgirl
>Wits
Simone's Batgirl made Hal Jordan and Sam Alexander look like geniuses, anon
>>
>>63513647
Only if they thought pederasts are unfamiliar with how well a jacket can contain the beasts that are beefy bosoms.
>>
I don't understand what people are mad about. Her tits don't look as big? Who gives a shit?
>>
File: Big Barda 12.jpg (270 KB, 950x1347) Image search: [Google]
Big Barda 12.jpg
270 KB, 950x1347
>>63513695
I can be pretty dastardly when I'm feeling up to it

SHIVASAURUS!
SHIVASAURUS!
SHIVASAURUS!
>>
>>63513716
>Gail Simone's Batgirl? No.
Oracle. Simone's Batgirl was shit.
>Young adults do young adult things, grandpa.
She's a womanchild in her 20s who acts like a teenager.

>>63513721
I'm discussing the pitch. Why would you pitch your hero as somehting different from what you've planned for her?
>>
>>63513673
>does Darkseid knee pads
I wasn't ready.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 462x1042) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 462x1042
>>63513736
Uh, yeah? Gap teeth are cute dude
>>
>>63513399
That was me speaking as a creator, from an economic standpoint you can justify anything; doesnt make it okay.

For example illegal oligopsony. very profitable. Totally fucking evil.

But then thats really a question f what you care more about. good comics, or DC's pocketbook.
>>
>>63512874
That reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa created a new Malibu Stacy doll and it didn't sell because the market (children) just wanted dolls to play with, not a soapbox.

I see this trend happening in games and comics and I think the end result will be poor sales.
>>
>>63513764
because this is more disgusting Muslim shit.

I like women who aren't afraid to show off their bodies; they have nothing to be ashamed of; but this design sends the exact opposite message.

it's Islamic-friendly cultural war and I'm fucking disgusted by it.
>>
>>63513764
Read the thread instead of generalizing. Different people are mad about different things here.
>>
>>63513799
>cultural war
OReilly pls
>>
>>63513754
Oracle.
Simone's Batgirl is shit.
>>
>>63513806
Yeah, they're all differently mad over equally stupid things.
>>
>>63513799
>Islamic-friendly cultural war
My sides
>>
>>63513799
*tips fedora*
>>
>>63513774
Just for that, you fucker, you're getting a new thread: >>63513844
>>
>>63513829
Welcome to /co/.
>>
>>63513827
I do really miss Oracle, but when written properly Babsgirl can still use her wits. IE Year One.

Also, she's clearly still going to care about justice. This is a damn cape book.
>>
>>63513776
>Oracle. Simone's Batgirl was shit.
That ship sailed over three years ago. It's not coming back.
>She's a womanchild in her 20s who acts like a teenager.
At least DC's finally trying to be contemporary. This is what millennials living in the city are like.
>>
>>63513799
>Islamic-friendly cultural war
HAHAHAHAHOLY SHIT
>>>/pol/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.