[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty hyped for this Black Panther honestly. Not only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: R5tvjXm.jpg (585 KB, 2335x3277) Image search: [Google]
R5tvjXm.jpg
585 KB, 2335x3277
I'm pretty hyped for this Black Panther honestly. Not only do I have good faith in the Russos perfectly executing his fighting style, just based on their style I know they're basing him mostly on Priest's Black Panther, which we all know is the best modern iteration of the character. Martin Freeman being Everett Ross is a sure sign of that as well.

This story is just the perfect set up to introduce who Black Panther is to people without having to drudge through an origin story. We'll get to see Black Panther at the fullest realization of his character, on a high profile visit to America as a political ambassador in the pursuit of dealing with a pervasive geopolitical conflict that has forced Wakanda into a tangled web with the other nations of the world, with T'Challa having to balance his personal desires with fulfilling his responsibilities to his people as their leader and representative. They also did a great job with his suit and making it look wholly distinct from Batman.

Black Panther is one of my favorite Marvel heroes, and he's seriously so often poorly written or under utilized. I want to believe Marvel won't mess him up, but they have an iffy track record. I have a good feeling he'll be done well in Civil War, but beyond that I'm unsure. They're comments about not getting Wakanda are disconcerting. Wakanda should be something they're excited about showing the world, not something they think is an obstacle. Not to mention that he's the least compatible hero they've put out yet wuth meta ironic sarcasm and jokes. Do you think they'll do T'Challa properly in the end?
>>
>>80548722
Priest's run started out great, then devolved into total shit. Still probably the best modern run, but that's because there's never been a good modern run
>>
File: 3270708937_a9b9cec7d6_b.jpg (924 KB, 679x1024) Image search: [Google]
3270708937_a9b9cec7d6_b.jpg
924 KB, 679x1024
>>80548777
That's a common problem with most comic runs, as they don't allow for a definitive end like stand alone graphic novel type stories. At best, they can return to the status quo with a renewed vitality, with the next story just starting over from square one.

Black Panther was at his best in my opinion, in Jungle Action where Wakanda was allowed to be it's own all encompass setting in and of itself with it's own full cast of characters, heroes, villains and everyone in between.

I'm still yearning for the Black Panther run that includes all of the fictional warrior kings of Marvel, Black Panther, Dr. Doom, Namor and Black Bolt, and puts them together in a wide scale story of geopolitical intrigue and super powered machiavellism
>>
On the flip side though, I'm also deeply concerned with how this movie will portray Baron Zemo, who's easily among my favorite comic book villains, Marvel or DC. Marvel has had a shaky record with their heroes, but I think they've had an abysmal record with their villains. Their Loki is inconsistent and adolescent, and I'm still very salty about the direction they went with Ronan the Accuser. Such a waste of a great, nuanced character.

I honestly have no faith in them pulling Zemo off in a satisfying way. I feel like we'll be lucky if he even gets his sword, let alone his full ensemble
>>
>>80549472
I'm hoping that Zemo will survive, and go to a Thunderbolts flic.
>>
>>80549518
I hope so too anon, but I don't know if it will even feel the same if Zemo is not first established as the arch rival of the Avengers and the leader of the Masters of Evil
>>
>>80549518
>>80549472
The fact that we still haven't seen anything of Zemo yet makes me hopeful he'll return for Thunderbolts.
>>
>>80549472

The Russos straight-up said that Zemo isn't going to be like the comic version.

I don't know if he's going to be a well-done villain outside of that or not, but he's not going to be comic Zemo.
>>
why do people want the hudlin BP?
>>
>>80548722

What is Black Panther's "fighting style"? Is he going to be pulling off typical cat-style kung fu or something?
>>
>>80549606
That really, actually sucks. Zemo was honestly Marvels last good chance at creating a truly unique, iconic and memorable villain in their movies. I don't know why they play so fast and loose with their characters sometimes. Like Guardians of the the Galaxy. It was good in it's own right, but literally none of those characters were anything like their comic book counterparts.

Marvel really does come across as being embarrassed of it's own universe sometimes
>>
>>80549472
I'll be the first one to say skintight spandex looks like shit in live action, and not all costumes need to be 100% the same as the printed version, but even I'm still disappointed that they won't even try to do Zemo's cloth mask. It's just a stylized ski mask basically. If Deadpool's mask can work, so can his.
>>
>>80549715
Yes, a fluid, panther like martial arts style with primal intensity and high intellect precision. He'll have a fighting style none of the characters have encountered before or know how to respond to
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nb0uqnKRXn1s6n842.png (245 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nb0uqnKRXn1s6n842.png
245 KB, 500x418
>>80549808
He's had plenty of variation in his costume, but the mask and his crown are his key pieces of iconography
>>
>>80549793
>Marvel really does come across as being embarrassed of it's own universe sometimes

It's its own universe within the Marvel multiverse with its own established setting and characters.

It's not 616, it doesn't need to be a 1:1 recreation of it, fuck off with that blubbering pussy shit.
>>
>>80549941
Not everything needs to look as accurate as Deadpool from his new movie, but at the same time, no character should ever end up like the Deadpool from that Wolverine movie.
>>
>>80549941
I don't think it should be an exact replica, because that's not possible, but I would appreciate at least one of these movies being made by a deeply passionate individual that takes these characters deadly seriously to the point where everyone mocks him for it, and attempts to create something that you can tell came from the mind of someone who genuinely loved these stories with no sense of irony or subversion
>>
>>80549472
complains about Loki being inconsistent and adolescent which is spot on how he's always been in the comics
>>
>>80550307
Like, I know Snyder is going to burn me again, as he's burned me time and time again, but you can at least tell the guy has deep seated passion for the Dark Knight Returns. He struggles with Superman, but he's in love with Batman.
>>
>>80550307
you're an idiot because everyone of those characters you are bitchin about has been faithful to a comic version of it, maybe just not the one you like but you are talking about characters who for the most part are 40+ years old and their characterization has changes dozens of times
>>
>>80550377
you seriously have to be trolling right?
>>
>>80550343
Its not intentionally inconsistent, like his mind is consumed in chaos and he acts in a sporadic manner. That would actually be cool. I mean inconsistent as in the different writers were all trying to write the same character but each failed to weave into what the others built and made a poorly conceived mess of a character. His emotional adolescents as a character also isn't a virtue, as it's a very poor characterization of a complex character who is more than just issues with his father
>>
>>80548722
So much potential thrown away with that helmet. Other than that I'm excited, but if he quips even once I'm dropping the MCU entirely.
>>
File: thor.jpg (196 KB, 792x573) Image search: [Google]
thor.jpg
196 KB, 792x573
>>80550422
You can make something that is faithful in a cursory way, but still mediocre. Like the Thor movies for example. They were loosely faithful to Kirby's Power Cosmic archeofuturist aesthetic, but beyond that they captured none of the magic or personality of Thor and his world.

They aren't terrible across the board or anything, as I feel like the Russos have a great take on Captain America and his world, despite the many things I wish would have been done better, and James Gunn has genuine passion and vision for his Guardians despite them being almost entirely reworked characters

>>80550439
What do you mean?
>>
Fucking how? It's 3 fucking years away.
Fuck you and your hype
>>
>>80550658
He's going to be set up in Civil War, and Ulysses Klaw has already been established with a great actor, even though I didn't much care for his portrayal in Age of Ultron
>>
>inb4 they race swap black panther like they do with so many white comic book characters
>>
>>80549198
>Black Panther was at his best in my opinion, in Jungle Action where Wakanda was allowed to be it's own all encompass setting in and of itself with it's own full cast of characters, heroes, villains and everyone in between.
This and so much this.
>>
>>80550654
is that honestly what you expected? that kind of shit doesn't translate to film.
>>
>>80549198
>I'm still yearning for the Black Panther run that includes all of the fictional warrior kings of Marvel, Black Panther, Dr. Doom, Namor and Black Bolt, and puts them together in a wide scale story of geopolitical intrigue and super powered machiavellism
Wasn't that basically the Sturm und Drang arc of Priest's run? Or all of Hickman's New Avengers?
>>
>>80548777
Priest's run was solid till the replaced T'challa with Kasper Cole.
>>
>>80551308
I didn't expect it, but I wished for it. There also is nothing that can't be translated to screen given the proper vision and ambition
>>
>>80549198
Written by Hickman. *Drools*
>>
>>80551311
I didn't read his New Avengers. How close was it to what I was describing?
>>
>>80552401
somewhat close
>>
File: Zemo.png (158 KB, 360x502) Image search: [Google]
Zemo.png
158 KB, 360x502
>>80549808
It's a very do-able mask.
>>
>>80550586
>but if he quips even once I'm dropping the MCU entirely.
Why?
>>
>>80552996
Because T'Challa is a fairly serious character, in terms of personality. They could go the Priest angle and give him a Watson-esque character to do all the humor, I suppose.
>>
>>80548777
According to Priest:

>After Marvel Knights handed the book back to Marvel, I was tasked, from that point until the book’s cancellation, with trying to grow the audience. It was exhausting and it inhibited most creative thinking.

>We tried everything, every possible guest star, every gimmick we could think of. In retrospect, I believe Joe and Jimmy were right: we should have just done our thing and largely ignored the Marvel U. Pandering in an attempt to raise sale proved, ultimately, to be a waste of time.
>>
>>80549941
Not really related to what you said but I think Marvel shit on 616 the most if anything.
>>
>>80550268
>Deadpool is at both ends of the scale of you fucked up and you didn't fuck up
This makes an alarming amount of sense.
>>
>>80554194
damn priest kept it 100
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.