[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /co/! Allow me to criticize and mock a character who I kn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 14
File: Screenshot_2016-02-08-17-32-03.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-08-17-32-03.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Hi /co/! Allow me to criticize and mock a character who I know nothing about (besides what movies have told me of course lol!)
https://youtu.be/LATPfqT4118
>>
>>79691483

Here's the thing. I'm somewhat interested in watching the clip so I can participate in discussion, but I DEFINITELY don't want to be giving this guy unearned views.

So... no.
>>
File: John Green.png (68 KB, 554x588) Image search: [Google]
John Green.png
68 KB, 554x588
>>
File: 1454652841046.png (497 KB, 507x552) Image search: [Google]
1454652841046.png
497 KB, 507x552
>>79691483
>I realized that I didn't make a mistake. I was made of mistakes. People are made of mistakes. This is what people are made of. Remember that people are made up of stars, our own celestial bodies, what comprises others incredibly out of reach yet twinkling in the distance, preconceived and premature, and yet we ourselves are made of the same cosmic dust-to-dust. Always remember, also, the universe was made by accident. And it all makes sense, because she is my sunbeam.
>Hannalore Annelise wore makeup like wood glue. I was the qawky, gangly teenager, with limbs like freshly washed baby carrots, starting at square tile one of the high school entrance. I had a stack of books the size of two Infinite Jests and a paperback The Girl With Curious Hair. I was looking her, dead, in the eyes.
>"Why are you speaking to me, Jonathan?" When she spoke, she made it a breeze. When others spoke, I only heard wind. And yet, when I spoke to her, I talked to the wind.
>>
File: Make It Stahp.gif (131 KB, 665x546) Image search: [Google]
Make It Stahp.gif
131 KB, 665x546
>>79691483
>muh economic privilege
>muh poverty
>muh climate change
>muh pacifism
>muh feels
>muh climate change
Fuck this cunt.
>>
>>79691747

>muh climate change

Fuck you deniers are as bad as the sheep who pretended having lead in our goddamn EVERYTHING wasn't slowly poisoning us. It's real. I don't care about this fucker or anything he has to say, but climate change is real and our influence on it is real.
>>
Technically I guess he's not wrong that crime comes more out of poverty but... Batman isn't about real criminals. What, does he want a comic where Bruce Wayne just signs checks all day?
>>
>>79691483
But Batman does suck.
>>
>>79691874
I agreed with him, without even watching the video.
>>
>>79691483
Even in the movies he's wrong. Shit, especially in the movies he's wrong.

The whole plot of the second movie was to put the good people of gotham into a position where they could make batman obsolete, and in all the movies it's clear the extent to which bruce is supporting cops, attorneys, judges and legislators to help clean up gotham, not to mention all the other charities and work prjects, like the fact that he's supporting every orphan in the whole city.

This guy's whining about shit he didn't even bother to think about or verify, he's wrong coming and going.
>>
When was the last time Batman fought a hoodlum who was motivated by being impoverished anyway?
>>
>>79691483
I hate this faggot and his books so much.

>>79691627
What the hell is this?
>>
>>79691806
Well stop arguing as the solution is only a carbon tax. Think in a business way. Too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere? Set up carbon collectors to scoop up the excess, and latch onto factories a need to have one. That's not another pump into big government, that's technology built to fix a problem.

Taxes don't make people stop doing things, it just makes their already nickel and dimed lives harder. Saying a carbon tax will make people buy new energy-efficent homes or tech implies they have the money to spend on that shit. It's an entirely regressive tax and latches the poor further into wage slavery.
>>
>>79691901
>What the hell is this?

It's an excerpt from one of his books.
>>
>>79691909
>Set up carbon collectors to scoop up the excess
Holy shit a retard
>>
>>79691914
I only ever read Looking for Alaska, which I don't think was THAT bad.
>>
File: Autism.jpg (149 KB, 439x594) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg
149 KB, 439x594
>>79691806
>implying I don't believe in it
The problem is faggots like you who make a big deal out of it. Carbon tax will never work. Stop being a fucking cuck.
>>
>>79691806
climate change fear mongering is about the same as the overpopulation meme
does it exist, does it not exist? why does it even matter for 1st world countries to worry about when both these problems are mostly coming from India and China
>>
>>79691483
>John Green
>watching a guy known for stalking teenage girls on tumblr
ayy
>>
>Wouldn't Bruce ultimately have a better impact on Gotham if he focused less on vigilante justice and invested his full efforts and resources into philanthropy?

This isn't a new opinion. It comes up pretty frequently around here. Hell, even Batman stories have posed the question. It's usually accompanied with "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" or "Batman doesn't make Gotham any better or worse, but maintains a status quo through simultaneously nurturing and containing villains."
>>
File: 1439740952241.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1439740952241.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>79691483
>crime in gotham is based off systemic oppression

I thought it was something called the FUCKING MOB

Batman doesnt live in the real fucking world he lives in a gothic themed art deco city from the future where shit like the italian mob still terrorizes people

You just have to pick up a single batman comic to pick up on that, a single fucking one.
>>
>>79692049
>Why should 1st world countries care about global crises?

Because they have global influence, contribute to the threat, and are also at risk of its consequences?
>>
>>79692049
China India and US aee the ones that can do the most shot about it.
The last time we did this shit we got the Dust bowel
>>
>>79691483
isn't this the guy who loves dicks in his cereal?
>>
>>79693011
To play devil's advocate, where does organized crime usually come from? People are poor and the government and law enforcement are ineffective and can't serve the people.
>>
File: 4526-796-4940-1-batman.jpg (47 KB, 400x563) Image search: [Google]
4526-796-4940-1-batman.jpg
47 KB, 400x563
Why are idiots like this always trying to bring real world logic into superhero comic books? It's just dumb escapism, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>79691483
If you had a billion dollars, then gave away 90% to charity, you would have 100m dollars.

Private race track 10m-120m. Depending on barebones, if you had the prop already, etc.
>>
Batman gives tons of money to philanthropic causes tho
>>
>>79693176
Emphasis on dumb.
>>
Did this nigga just say batman villains are awful????
>>
>>79691932
Why is that retarded? Clean up pollution, its not that hard.
>>
File: 1438603610865.jpg (12 KB, 403x360) Image search: [Google]
1438603610865.jpg
12 KB, 403x360
>if I was rich I'd give my money to charity!
>not realizing most charities, especially the big ones, are just a complex series of money laundering and tax evasion holes for the elite, and that only a miniscule fraction of it even goes to anything remotely worthwhile

Trust me, the heads of some charities are downright abominable when it comes to covering shit up. There's no such thing as truly pure intentions in this world, not when you involve other people.
>>
this video is from october 2014.
>>
>>79691806
I bet you believe in everything the WHO and EPA say about human health too bro.
>>
>>79693273
def true. I would hope anyone with that kind of money would be smart enough when saying, "give it to charity", means, "form my own charity foundation, and put the money directly where it needs to go."
>>
>>79693308
Like what Bruce Wayne does? :^)
>>
>>79693273
Even without corruption, charities are often useless in that they usually throw money at problems to treat the symptoms and not fix the problem itself.
>>
>>79693176
Seriously, it's fine not to like Batman, but not for retarded reasons that only matter in the real world. And he was completely wrong about a lot of aspects of the character. Bruce does give a lot to charity, and he hates bats. And he's fucking crazy and his parents died, which is the reason he fights crime as Batman
>>
>>79693176
Probably comes from comics trying to venture into more "mature" realms of storytelling? Which has been a thing for decades.

>>79693186
He does, but that often comes across more as side-projects, whereas Batman is his full-time job and focus. It's not unreasonable to think that Bruce could do a lot more with philanthropy programs if he pulled his funds and time away from vigilantism.

Of course, that doesn't make for nearly as entertaining storytelling. Watching Bruce donate to school programs or open youth recreational centers lacks the emotional impact of watching Batman break a villain's jaw to stop a robbery.
>>
>>79693273
It's true that there are a lot of charities out there that are ineffective, if not outright corrupt. However, you're painting with a very broad brush to suggest there's no such things as programs intended to help people that genuinely work.

>>79693367
Treating the symptom of a problem can at the very least prevent a problem from dramatically escalating. It's not the best solution, but it's far better than nothing.
>>
>>79693273
Isn't John Green already rich? His net worth is 17 million.
>>
>>79691483
What canon is he even talking about?
Assuming he's talking about the Nolan Bats then he's wrong on almost every front
>>
His point is moot, Batman spends half his day as Bruce Wayne setting up charities and keeping Gotham on lifesupport, then during the night he bashes supervillains and saves the day. At no point, in any of the movies or comics, does he go to the hood and beat up black people selling weed.
>>
Ok I dont want to give this guy a view if hes an annoying moron so could someone give me a quick rundown on what nonsense hes saying?
>>
Why should I care about what this hack thinks

Literally every character he writes just talks like he does
>>
>>79694090
Your view is not going to influence John Green's life or career in the slightest. Just watch the video if you're interested.

He's more or less saying Batman should put more of his time and money into making Gotham better through humanitarian projects that stimulate the economy and lessen the motivators for crime.
>>
>>79694090
Basically what every other person who doesn't read comics says when they try to criticize Batman.
>Why doesn't he put his money into charity?
>He doesn't actually help Gotham by fighting crime
>But he has flaws :(
He basically wants Batman's character to not be based on flaws. It's like he want only Mary Sues with no depth. And he also has a deep misunderstanding of the character and states a lot of "facts" that simply aren't true
>>
>>79694090
>If I where a billionaire I'd donate 90% to charity
>Bruce Wayne is merely living out his bat loving fancies of ridding Gotham of crime
>Iron man's nuclear bomb thing makes him better somehow
>The only people causing crime are the Joker and co. and their henchmen
>Crime in real life is caused by poverty
>Bruce doesn't give money to the police/education system
>Instead he trashes the place
>Bruce never "improves" Gotham
>all of Bruce's resources goes into Batman instead of solving Global warming/World Hunger

Its as bad as it sounds senpai
>>
>>79694505
>*"nuclear bomb thing"
thats a direct quote
>>
>>79694354
>>79694377
>>79694505
>What is the Martha Wayne Foundation
Oh so throwing money at the problem will fix Gotham, good to know. I mean its not like theres a deeply rooted/complex corruption run by crime families established for years and the occasional supervillain created by any number of mental disorder causes not restricted to social or economic means OH WAIT.
>>
>>79691483
>if I were a billionaire
Umm.. you wrote The Fault in Our Stars. You may not be a billionaire, but you're pretty well off.

>>79691548
Believe me, he's gonna get a lot of views no matter what you do.
>>
File: 1440438303824.gif (581 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1440438303824.gif
581 KB, 540x540
>2016
>people still jumpcut every 2 seconds
>>
File: 1364958928601.jpg (37 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1364958928601.jpg
37 KB, 500x282
>>79691483
>if i were a millionaire i'd pledge 90% of my money to charity.
Dumb detected. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>79691483

The only real fault here is the infrastructure of site like YouTube and how they fundamentally perpetuate perpetuate bullshit almost intentionally.
>>
>>79694708
He is a millionaire. He said if he was a BILLIONAIRE, because that rids him of responsibility.
>>
>You know what guys? If I were Superman, I'd donate my body/DNA to science and work for the government
>>
>/co/ and /lit/ coming together in a mutual hatred in John Green

Kind of beautiful really.
>>
>>79694852
John Green's only good for Science
He should just stick to that
>>
>>79694918
Wasn't that his brother? John does ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''history'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>>
>>79694918

his brother is oaky as far as im concerned, and the sister channels with animated history lessons and stuff aren't too bad actually. i think most of that stuff isn't directly influenced by john green though
>>
>>79694918
are you sure your not confusing him with his brother Hank
>>
>>79694579
>implying I implied any of this
All I'm saying is that Bruce Wayne IS a philanthropist, contrary to what John Green apparently believes
>>
>>79694973
>>79694998
>>79695023
Oh shit it WAS Hank
They just look so similar, I got confused
>>
>all good human work is done in collaboration, not isolation

If you're retarded, maybe
>>
>>79691483
haha wow this is bad. he clearly is basing his whole knowledge on the movies. not even the batman animated show mixed in with that, but solely the movies.

bruce is constantly said to be donating his money to charities and grants to foundations through his company. it's not like he all this money and only uses it for batman, he's well known in the comics for being a generous benefactor to many causes in the city and his philanthropy is mentioned throughout BTAS as well.

of course the movies aren't going to have whole scenes devoted to showing bruce wayne being charitable to the city because nobody wants to see a movie about that.

>under-funded city like gotham

hahaha no. gotham isn't detroit, it's new york. it cares about the wealthy and shits on the poor.
>>
>>79694677
fucking this
I can't even watch the video, it drives me crazy
>>
>>79695113
Wasnt attacking you mate just pointing out how giving money to Gotham Charities only does so much
>>
>>79695165
Well Id say Chicago but whatever
>>
>>79695262
i feel like new york is the more obvious allegory since it's said to be right on the east coast, but chicago works fine too. point is it's a big city with plenty of wealth, but the rich control the majority of the wealth and are often corrupt.
>>
>>79691914
Realy? I thought it's a /lit/ pasta.
>>
>>79693752
gets rides in sports cars. donates money to his favorite football team. as if that is charity..
>>
>>79691483
This dude is really very rich for a mediocre writer.
If he wanted to give away 90% of his money he could do that and make a pretty huge impact.
Saying something like "I would give away most of my money if I were a billionaire" when you're already a fucking multi-millionaire is pretty retarded.

Also Bruce Wayne does give a lot of money to charity, it's even in the fucking movies.
>>
>>79695262
I think Metropolis is supposed to be Chicago and Gotham New York
>>
>>79695799
He just wants to spew his political ideas and is using Batman as an excuse to do so. On top of that talking about something popular brings in more views than just his fanbase
>>
This guy looks JUST
>>
>>79691483
Are you getting butthurt about something a YouTube celebrity posted more then a year ago?
If you're gonna be outraged over really stupid shit do you think maybe it could at least be RECENT stupid shit?
>>
>>79694677
>>79695169

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE
this doesn't make you cute, fuck dog.
>>
>>79696888
That way he kept grabbing his hair was a very JUST technique
Nice trips by the way
>>
>>79691747
>>>/pol/
>>
>>79691483
The only problem that I've ever had with Batman is the fact that he must be spending a fortune on the upkeep of all that tech to the point where it's just a huge financial sink hole
>>
>>79691825

But Bruce Wayne funds infrastructure in Gotham, schools, and low income housing as well as mental health facilities.

But John Green doesn't read shit about Batman. He bases his entire knowledge of a small fraction of information and calls himself an expert.

Also, his comparision with Tony Stark is incredibly retarded, especially as John Green considers himself a "leftist".

Does he understand that Tony Stark is a Randian Superhero while Batman actually stands for civic virture and helping the less fortunate? Nope, John Green doesn't know this cause he's a fucking retard!
>>
>>79696971
>this doesn't make you cute, fuck dog.
It's not to be cute. It's so his stammering and shit doesn't make it in. It's more because of incompetency than aesthetic.
>>
>>79694998
>the sister channels with animated history lessons and stuff aren't too bad actually
His history series is actually riddled with errors and gets a lot of historians pretty peeved. He oversimplifies stuff to the point where the entire idea is skewed, sometimes to fit an agenda, sometimes because he's just ignorant.
>>
>>79691483

Alan Moore is in 100% in agreement with this video.
>>
>>79698798
I dropped out of a history course last semester partially because we were required to watch his videos.
>>
File: mongols.jpg (45 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mongols.jpg
45 KB, 1920x1080
>>79691483

this thread needs more mongols
>>
File: 1418104060075.png (120 KB, 486x417) Image search: [Google]
1418104060075.png
120 KB, 486x417
I fucking hate John Green the Meme Queen.

Take your double standard, historically biased ass off the site, you total hack.
>>
>>79694852
You can include /his/ on that list, I mean holy shit we have John Green threads every fucking day.
>>
You're a retard OP. His brother Hank called him out on not knowing shot about Batman.
https://youtu.be/7Qns8txH5Ns

Then their argument got turned into a song.
>>
>>79702986
>dissing my boy Supes
How low can they go
>>
File: jon red.png (3 MB, 2800x1622) Image search: [Google]
jon red.png
3 MB, 2800x1622
>>79691483
Fuck Batman
he's probably a Eurocentrist

hey guys, have I told how great the Mongols are yet?
>>
>>79702986
Only thing of value said is that comics>movies because they can take risks.
Besides that, both these shitheads are pushing some sort of pseudo-philosophical agenda using Batman as a talking point
>>
>>79691932

Yeah I know right, they're called trees
>>
>>79691483
is this the shittest thread on /co/ right now?
>>
John Green IS Batman you retards.
>>
>>79703975
>>79680901 is close
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.