[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I stopped reading comics for 9 months. Now planning to get back.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: 2587282-grant.png (1 MB, 678x940) Image search: [Google]
2587282-grant.png
1 MB, 678x940
I stopped reading comics for 9 months. Now planning to get back.
What did I miss?
Is DC any better?
>>
>>78175625
>Is DC any better?
Is it 2006 yet?
>>
>>78175625
DC's much better now (A lot of books are pretty great, with stupidly books that should be good like Wonder Woman and The Flash having shit creative teams, I like Green Lantern enough to give it a pass) if you're not into events and crossovers. Though liking DC is pretty hard since all the top-tier books like Midnighter and Martian Manhunter sell like shit so every solicitation announcement is like waiting for the death sentence for the book..
>>
>>78175625
>What did I miss?
Secret Wars and the first half of the ANAD Marvel books launching from the Marvel side.

Convergence and DCYou from the DC side

Jury is still out on ANAD until the books get a bit deeper in/more get released (although everyone on /co/ is more than happy to declare it's all total shit). So far the standouts are Totally Awesome Hulk and Vision, though I've also been enjoying Ewing's books (New Avengers, Ultimates, Contest of Champions). Herc also turned out pretty good. As for Secret Wars, the last issue kept getting delayed and isn't coming out until the 13th, but as far as Marvel Events go, this was one of the best ones. I'd say check out the main event, and my favorite tie-ins were Ghost Racers, Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, Master of Kung-Fu, and Weirdworld.

DCYou was a sales failure, but they're putting out some of the best books they've done in years and is all around a fantastic time to be a DCfan, assuming you don't mind the fact that most of these books are going to get cancelled at 12. The ones I've been enjoying the most are Midnighter, Grayson, Omega Men, Prez, and Dr. Fate. Convergence was garbage, don't bother.

Also the first issue of Morrison's Klaus came out. It's basically Santa Claus: Year One.
>>
>>78175625
Seeing as I enjoyed DC 9 months ago, I don't know what to tell you op.
>>
>>78175625
Are you me? I think the only comic book I've read on the last 6 months was Miss Marvel. And it was friday, here when someone storytimed it.
>>
OP here
any must read titles?
titles not to waste time on?
>>
>>78175796
Check out Midnighter, Prez, Martian Manhunter, Omega Men
>>
>>78175808
I Actually bought/stole all 7 issues of Midnighter but never touched them yet.
What about We are Robin I heard it's good. Should I bother?
>>
Marvel is better than DC now, get with the times
>>
>>78175883
I got into comics during Morison's JLA. I hardwired to side with DC.
>>
>>78175625
>What did I miss?
>>78175796
>any must read titles?

Godzilla In Hell
Archie vs. Predator
Groo Friends and Foes (if you like Groo, it's the best the series has been since the 90s)
Rebels
Manifest Destiny (although the third arc wasn't quite as great as the first two)
All Star Section Eight

>>>78175796
>titles not to waste time on?

Big Man Plans starts out well with a great premise, but just turns to utter garbage. Avoid.
>>
>>78175883
It rotates. I think Marvel has played out its chips on Secret Already. DC has learned its mistakes on new 52. As I see it DC might be on top by 2017
>>
>>78175875
>What about We are Robin I heard it's good. Should I bother?
Nothing amazing, but definitely pretty good. Worth at least checking out the first couple issues to see if its your cup o tea.
>>
>>78175875
Nah, it's shite. If you need a robin fix go for Grayson (which is really good).
>>
>>78175625
Do you hate SJWs?
If you do. Comics definitely got worse
If you like them. Then you're in luck
>>
>>78176022
>the only options are hating or liking SJWs
How bout for people that don't give a flying fuck about SJWs one way or the other and just wish both sides would fuck off?

Y'know, people that don't have their heads so far up their ass that they think they're fighting some culture war for the future of the species or some shit and would rather just read good comics, regardless of what color or gender the protagonists are.
>>
>>78176022
>SJW
OP here again.
Who has turned black/female/jew/latino/gay this time?
>>
>>78176048

In that case, you will not like comics.
>>
>>78176048
People gets attached to characters especially if someone has been reading for a long time. Comics has been rebooting a lot of shit. Along with those reboots are changes to some characters' sex, sexuality, or race. That's a fucking lot of change for a character that the character itself becomes entirely different. I don't mind gay black or latino characters. Just make new ones.
>>
File: 1436545937721.jpg (102 KB, 390x700) Image search: [Google]
1436545937721.jpg
102 KB, 390x700
>>78176059
But anon, I DO like comics. As a medium and as the best source for cape genre (but obviously like non cape-stuff too).

Been reading comics for over 25 years and I'm not about to let some entitled millennial douchebags who are too busy getting OUTRAGE!'d over meaningless shit that's only tangentially related to comics get in the way of my enjoyment of the medium.
>>
>>78176055
Your mom
>>
DC is great right now, though they're not doing that well sales wise. Read Prez, Midnighter, All Star Section 8, Omega Men, Grayson, Martian Manhunter and the Darkseid War Green Lantern and Shazam oneshots.

For Marvel, you should definitely read Vision. Haven't enjoyed anything else from them much, though Hercules and Totally Awesome Hulk are alright too.
>>
>>78175796
Batmite
Omega Man
Secret Wars
Fables wolf among us
>>
>>78176118
So is your problem that you hate legacies or just legacies that aren't the same race and/or gender of the character they're replacing? Because I see this argument a lot and it always rings hollow because the you always focus on race/gender and not the fact that they're legacies.

Did you hate Wally West? Did you hate Kyle Rainer? How about Jaime Reyes or when DickBats? Why does a legacy character HAVE to be the same race/gender as their predecessor?

Your complaint is that they aren't making new characters as if Sam Wilson is literally Steve Rogers, or Jane Foster is literally Thor Odinson, or Amadeus Cho is Bruce Banner.

I can understand not liking legacy characters, but when the argument always comes back to "they're not straight white men anymore and that triggers me" then it makes me question which part is the one that actually bothers you. That's not to say you can't have a problem with legacy characters. Back in the 90s, plenty of people were too hot on all the legacy characters DC was pumping out, but personally, I have a lot of fond memories of those characters and like legacy characters.

But nowadays, if I say I like legacy characters, I get labelled as an SJW just because the legacy character isn't a straight white man. And that's what pisses me off about your faggy little culture war. You SJWs and anti-SJWs only seem to care about race and gender. You're all a bunch of racist, sexist cunts that act like "n-no it's the OTHER SIDE that's wrong" when you're both fucking awful and degrade the quality of discussion of every single thing you touch.

You can't just have a nice conversation abotu characterization because characterization begins and ends at race/gender/sexuality. You can't have legacy characters without it being some big political fight. A comic can't just be a comic, now it has to be some big controversial meme so you people can have yet another thing to jack each other off over.
>>
>>78176226
It's really all about the execution. Notice how not so many people complain about Sam anymore? That's 'cause his book is actually good. Whereas Fosthor's book has been meh to bad. People generally only get offended if they dislike the material for other reasons too.
>>
>>78176048
Just make new characters diverse. No one gave a shit when ellis made Apollo and Midnighter gay. Make new character like when they did John Stewart, Jaime Reyes, Miles Morales, and Tatsu Yamashiro.
>>
>>78176015
>If you need a robin fix go for Grayson (which is really good).

Robin: Son of Batman > Grayson
>>
>>78176270
>Make new character like when they did John Stewart, Jaime Reyes, Miles Morales, and Tatsu Yamashiro
ayyyy don't forget about jason rusch. his book was fire. And Ryan Choi.
>>
>>78175625
>Is DC any better?

Yes and they're less popular for it. That and Marvel had an event, relaunced everything, claimed they invented the sky on the View, and have FUCKING STAR WARS selling like crazy.

I'm just waiting for Marvel to go like Nintendo, thinking they captured the casual market and something happens and they're shit out of luck.
>>
>>78176022
Sincere innocent comment that is unintentionaly a bait but nevertheless a bait.
>>
DC has been the best it has since the n52 launch. Vision is the only great book from ANAD Marvel.
>>
>>78176261
And hey, there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with disliking legacies on principle. There's nothing wrong with disliking a particular legacy because the execution was shit or you just don't like the character as much as their predecessor. I for one hate FosThor because I really liked Odinson as a character more than Jane, but my problem is Jane as a character and the execution, not the fact that she's a woman or that she's a legacy. I started reading Thor while Eric Masterson was Thor, so someone else being Thor is nothing new to me.

But people get so hung up on the fact that she's a woman, or what have you, and that derails every single thread. You literally can't talk about half of these characters because it just turns into a shitflinging contest. It's exhausting. It's turned comics from a medium to be discussed to an excuse for people who don't read comics to get into the same exact debate about identity politics and thinly veiled racism every single day.
>>
I stopped reading and purchasing comics about a year ago. Recently though I did check out what DC and Marvel had been doing for the past few months. DC is indeed quite a bit better; Marvel has gotten considerably worse with a few of their titles, though.
>>
>>78176386
DISNEEEY!!!!!!

I think Time Warner has to acquire some thing good.
>>
>>78176270
Isn't that exactly what they're doing? How is John, Jaime or Miles any different than the current crop of legacy characters?

Are you implying that pre-existing characters are being turned black/gay/female? Because the only characters that has applied to is:
>Iceman
>Wally West
>Allen Scott
>Hercules
And yes, pretty much everyone agrees those are shit and shouldn't have been done (mixed feelings about Allen, but Bobby and Wally are horrible changes). But those are rarely the characters that people are complaining about these days. People are complaining about Captain Nigger, and Spider-Nigger, and Whor, and Ms. Mudslime. None of which are literal race/gender/sexuality swaps. They're just legacies.
>>
>>78176488
>Because the only characters that has applied to is:
And Hawkgirl, she went from white/Hispanic to black/Hispanic
>>
>>78176048
>>78176120
>>78176226
Change a character's race gender or sex and expect everyone to act like its nothing.
I shave my beard and people go "WTF dude, that's your chin?"
>>
>>78176488
In my personal opinion, Sam!Cap and Ms. Marvel are all right. Sam is a natural progression of the Cap legacy, while Ms. Marvel a cute.

Miles Morales really doesn't have a lot of defining character traits to make him as well-written as Peter. He's just kinda... there. And the first part of Jane!Thor rewrote everyone's characters to justify a woman obtaining Mjolnir (Odin is sexist now, Odinson is suddenly unworthy), and more focus was on WHO Thor was rather than any of her own character traits. Like, who cares about who the new Thor actually is if nobody likes her?

The ANAD Thor has been okay so far once they dropped the mystery, but it still jumps through a lot of hoops to justify a cancer-filled, nearly dying woman refusing chemo to fight evil.
>>
>>78176558
OK, let me explain this to you since you're clearly new to the genre.
Let's use Captain America as an example. Captain America is a superhero title held by multiple CHARACTERS. Such as:
>Steve Rogers
>Bucky Barnes
>Sam Wilson
Sam Wilson being Captain America, doesn't mean Steve Rogers was turned into a black man and had a name change. Sam Wilson is not the same character as Steve Rogers.

What characters had their race changed? One: Wally West. What characters had their gender changed? None. What characters had their sex changed? Three: Allen Scott, Iceman, and Hercules. You want to complain about them? Go right ahead. They're awful changes. But treating a superhero title the same as the character that uses that title is something literally only casuals that don't read cape comics do.

Now, if in case you're too stupid to understand this distinction, let's use a real life example:
George W. Bush was president of the united states. He was white. He was replaced by Barack Obama as president. Obama is black.

Now was the president "raceswapped"? Should only white people be allowed to be president because otherwise people will get confused?
>>
>>78176610
The mystery was horrible. It didn't work for Red Hulk so why the fuck did they think it would work for Thor?
>>
>>78176469
Time Warner already has pretty good stuff.
>Hannah Barbera Properties
>Cartoon Network Properties
>Scooby Doo
>Looney Toons
>Adult Swim Properties
None of which are handled well on comics
>>
>>78176668
I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about the likes of Wally West.
>>
>>78176726
I think they just need to buy a good IP manager.
>>
>>78176668
Legacy characters always get shit when they change most notably Jayson Todd becoming robin. What is not justified is the extra shit on sex/gender/race changes.
>>
>>78176752
Well, yeah, the Wally West change was 110% awful. They took a great character, changed his iconic visuals, changed his characterization, and somehow even managed to make the character a racist stereotype in the process all so he could look like his TV counterpart. Everyone hates shit like that, barring a handful of your usual braindead SJWs that just see "yay diversity XD" and pat themselves on the backs.

But there are extremely few of those in the comics themselves. Happens all the time in adaptations, sure, but in the comics themselves "suddenly this person is now a different race/gender/sexuality" doesn't happen nearly as often as just shoe-horned in legacies.
>>
>>78176726
I liked the Space Ghost Comics
>>
>>78176820
Yeah, people hating legacies is nothing new. Shit has been going on almost as long as there have been legacies. Hell, I bet there were people raging about Barry and Hal taking over the Flash/Green Lantern mantles too.

But nowadays, people only focus on the sex/gender/race aspect of legacies which ruins the conversation. Its made an excuse for people who don't read comics to but into the discussion because they feel entitled to having their voices heard for some fucking reason. It's hard to talk about why you don't like a character because it requires reading their comics, but anyone can complain about "OMG Captain America is now black?! I love/hate this!" because all they care about is the fact that Cap is black, not the fact that Sam Wilson is Cap.
>>
>>78176726
Maybe they could do Harry Potter. It doesnt have to be good. It would sell to casuals.
>>
>>78176835

I have an issue with Nick Fury and the bullshit they pulled to make it work.
>>
Black Person who represents the USA and loves immigrants.
>Obama
>Capt. America

Republicans
>>
>>78175625
>>78175796

This is the time all of the year end best lists get posted. Check a bunch out to get a broad overview of quality books for the year. You're only gonna get Big Two recs and SJW bitching from this board. Stuff I've liked off the top of my head that will probably get meme arrow responses:

>Southern Bastards
>Island
>8house
>Descender
>Omega Men
>Grayson
>Multiversity
>Nameless
>The Wicked + The Divine
>The Autumnlands
>The Fade Out
>>
>>78176957
The only issue I have with Black Fury is that White Fury is gone (or was gone). I kinda like Black Fury, but he isn't THE spy.

I like diversity in characters, but we've gotten to a point where people are just hijacking characters to push this artificial diversity. Frankly I can't remember the last time they made a straight white character that wasn't a major character.
>>
>>78176957
Yeah, Nick Fury Jr. is pretty fucking dumb. I mean shit, for someone that's supposed to be half white, he sure looks pretty black to me. Battle Scars was a shitty origin story, and the way they wrote out Fury Sr. was pathetic.

I wish they had just brought over Ultimate Fury. I like Ultimate Fury, but Fury Jr. just feels like a cheap knockoff.
>>
>>78176944
Rowling owns Potter on print
>>
>>78175625
Read marvel. DC is shit.
>>
>>78175625
You actually stopped?
Please help me. How do I get off comics?
>>
>>78177345
Nice falseflag, bud.
>>
>>78178341
The trick isn't actually getting off comics, it's getting off of /co/. You'll find that this either causes you to stop reading because you don't have to "be part of the conversation" or it causes you to read more and enjoy more since comics once again become about entertainment and not about finding new things to bitch about in a /co/ circle jerk.
>>
>>78178341
Have a (You)
Faggot
>>
>>78176055
Jane Foster's now Thor. Falcon is Capt. America. Wally West is black. Alan Scott is gay. Marvel practically changed he Avengers roster to the point where they fucking suck. Kitty Pryde is with the fucking Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason. X-23 is Wolverine now. The list of changes goes on. Some are good, some are bad.
>>
>>78179656
Too fucking much. The guy just stopped last April.
>>
>>78179656
I think from that list I only liked Falcon. I mean, if you want to be "Diverseā„¢" why not just create new heroes rather than replacing classics?

The problem with forced diversity is that it becomes fucking aparent and people start havign knee-jerk reactions without even giving the book a chance.

People are already going in expecting the books to be shit after the last race/gender swaps, so if the book isn't very good, people have the impression that the book is terrible.
>>
>>78175625
don't read Marvel or DC. Instead read Image, my two top picks are Monstress and Faster Than Light
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.