[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
general marvel recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Marvel_characters.jpg (610 KB, 1239x713) Image search: [Google]
Marvel_characters.jpg
610 KB, 1239x713
I'm more into DC Comics, but I want to read some Marvel because I enjoy the MCU films and shows, so I figure they probably have some good books as well. What are some good general recommendations? I'm not into any particular genre, I'll read pretty much whatever.
Also, I've seen a lot of people recommend Civil War; although I understand it's not fondly thought of; is that worth reading anyway?
>>
>>77923330
>Also, I've seen a lot of people recommend Civil War
Civil War is the very definition of casual bait. It's great if you know absolutely nothing about Marvel because it has a lot of characters in it, some cool fight scenes, a compelling concept, and you don't realise how completely out of character fucking every single character in the book is since you don't know the characters at all. If, however, you are at all familiar with them then you'll be tearing your hair out and screaming how awful the book is.

So either read Civil War first or not at all.

As for some general recs, it kinda depends on what characters you're interested in. I'd say the non-character specific "must-reads" though are:
>Marvels/Marvels: Eye of the Camera (Golden, Silver, and Bronze ages through the eyes of a photojournalist)
>Earth-X (Marvel's Kingdom Come equivalent)
>Squadron Supreme (one of the all time best Justice League comics)

Gimme a minute and I'll type up some of the definitive runs for characters.
>>
>>77923330
Superior Foes of Spider-Man is crime comedy.
>>
>>77923427
>>77923330
Alright, here ya' go:
>Shooter's Marvel Superheroes: Secret Wars
>Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
>Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man
>Miller's Daredevil
>Simonson's Thor
>Busiek's Avengers
>Morrison's New X-men
>Ellis' Moon Knight
>Iron man: Extremis
>Kelly's Deadpool
>Ennis' Punisher MAX
>Starlin's Warlock/Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet
>Annihilation + all the tie-ins
>Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD
>Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
>Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-man
>Thunderbolts (everything except Fightbolts and Frankbolts which I don't know the issues for off the top of my head)
>Death of Captain Marvel
>Fraction's Hawkeye
>Millar's Ultimates 1 & 2
>Peter David's Incredible Hulk (or at least Future Imperfect since his run on Hulk is extremely long with some ups and downs, but FI is a pretty self-contained story within it and one of the highest points)
>X-Statix
>Remender's Uncanny X-force
>Silver Surfer: Requiem
>Bendis' Alias
>Ellis' NEXTWAVE
>Gillen's Journey into Mystery
>The Original Writer's Miracleman
>Moore's Captain Britain
>Kirby's The Eternals
>Lee/Jenkins' Inhumans
>Brubaker's Captain America
There ya' go. All those plus the before mentioned Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme, Marvels, and Earth-X will get you a nice cross-section of most Marvel franchises. Then the ones you liked the most, you can dig deeper into those particular characters' other great runs/stories.

If there's any characters in particular you want more specific recs for, feel free to ask.
>>
>>77923512
Thank you, that's a really useful list. Nova seems like an interesting character, although I know nothing of him. I assume he's in Annihilation, but is there anything else I should check out?
>>
>>77923539
With original Nova? New Warriors vol 1, but that's little older book.
And Nova vol 4 is good. I didn't read previous so I can't judge.
>>
File: N7OXfyI.jpg (501 KB, 1960x1810) Image search: [Google]
N7OXfyI.jpg
501 KB, 1960x1810
>>77923539
Yeah, Annihilation is the best place to go for Nova. Pic related is the best stuff out there for Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. If you like Annihilation, just keep following this guide (though feel free to skip The Annihilators since it's pretty bad).

After you're all done with this, you could check out the Marvel NOW run of Nova by Loeb/Wells/Duggan. Starts off kinda rocky but gets pretty good once Wells takes over around issue 5 and gets really good once Duggan takes over.
>>
File: fantastic Four reading list.jpg (1 MB, 1200x911) Image search: [Google]
fantastic Four reading list.jpg
1 MB, 1200x911
>>77923589
Also a few of the lingering plot threads that don't get resolved in Cosmic Marvel 2004-2011 get picked up by Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF. Pic related is the reading order for it.
>>
This has all been really useful, thank you. One more thing; I assume Dr Doom will be covered through Fantastic Four, but is there anything specific I should read for him?
>>
>>77923683
Hickman's FF/F4 is a fantastic place for DOOM, but one of the must-reads I forgot to mention is:
>Dr. Doom/Dr. Strange: Triumph and Torment
Which is both one of the definitive Doom stories and one of the definitive Strange stories, so definitely give it a read. One of my favorite Marvel Graphic Novels.
>>
>>77923705
Oh, and Books of Doom is also pretty good.

Feel free to come back and make discussion threads for these after you've read them. We're in desperate need of actual comic discussion around here these days.
>>
>>77923705
Okay that sounds good, thank you very much.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.