[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The way people talk up this new wave of cartoons we've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: CHaRyP6WUAA1TG9-1.png (307 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
CHaRyP6WUAA1TG9-1.png
307 KB, 600x399
The way people talk up this new wave of cartoons we've been getting, you wouldn't think it was just some new shows.

You'd think it was a revolution of some new creative force swelling up to dismantle some archaic, stratified order.

The questions are: what order is that, and why these cartoons in particular?
>>
Nigga I can't even read what you wrote
>>
>>77923962

The only order they're dismanteling is the "kids cartoons are only for kids" mentality. Some older shows would throw in a few jokes for the parents watching with their kids, but new shows are deliberately targeting the whole of the show to older audiences. It's mainly hipsters and internet nerds, but it's still enough for the shows to have a big change in tone, types of jokes/humour, and to have more complex plots and themes (yeah, it's not The Sopranos, but some newer cartoons still more emotionally complex than Ren and Stimpy, for better and for worse).
>>
>>77924022
Yeah for some reason I can't either
>>
>This weekly thread again
Inb4 the /a/ fags come in with their "Japanese animation is superior" posts
>>
Can we just get to fapping over 1980s boi already
>>
30's-40's had the highest rate of good shit in American cartoons.
>>
tumblr etc.
>>
>>77924043
I never understand what the 2010 creators think of.
>>
>>77925033
They think?
>>
File: mr burns wake me up inside.jpg (15 KB, 377x228) Image search: [Google]
mr burns wake me up inside.jpg
15 KB, 377x228
>>77924043

wake me when we get the animated version of The Sorpranos.

we need hour long animated shows or ones that are legit dark like most HBO/FX/Showtime shows.
>>
>>77923962
I'm sick of seeing this image.
>>
These cartoons support the argument that cartoons are more shittly drawn now. Because these are literally the only cartoons in existence right now.
>>
>>77924544
This anon gets it
>>
Time for the old cartoon defense force to come in and respond to every positive opinion towards modern cartoons with "shit taste tumblr".
>>
>>77925654
Is that not true?
>>
>bill and ted as a positive example

that cartoon moved like shit
>>
>>77925884
Shit taste geezer
>>
Why is the rest of OP's image usually cut out when it gets posted here?
>>
File: 175px-John_Kricfalusi.jpg (12 KB, 175x294) Image search: [Google]
175px-John_Kricfalusi.jpg
12 KB, 175x294
The "archaic, stratified order" is old white men.
>>
>>77926657

Pretty sure that's the original image, and the larger one is an edit.
>>
not this shit again
>>
>>77923962
>they censored the last episode of SU because of lesbians.
At least they did something good. I guess they will make Ruby a man and Sap a woman.
>>
>>77923962
It really is just breaking the "cartoons are just for kids" mentality that's making this wave of cartoons "revolutionary" as >>77924043 mentions. Obviously that doesn't make older cartoons somehow inferior but it is a significant turn in attitude that warrants a little bit of celebration. Keep in mind though that's mostly reflective of the attitude in the states as Europe and Japan (say what you will about the overall quality of most anime) don't face that stigma of having to restrict animation to children's media solely

On a side note, I get what that picture is trying to say, but its kind of an unfair comparison considering there was just more of a budget to 90s kids media than now. Cartoons didnt have to compete as much for an audience as they do now with much more advanced (and mainstream recognized) video games, smartphones and tablet apps, web-produced content and a more globalized animation market that makes accessing anime way easier for weebs in training. That's kind of why there's more of an effort in trying to make the animation itself more fluid than making every frame detailed with proper shading and anatomy, though obviously that has a drawback of homogenizing a lot cartoons that would have had very distinct art styles (see: SU)
>>
>>77923962
For some reason, that guy always reminds me of Dan from Dan vs.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.