[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I stopped reading DC right around the time of the mess that was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
I stopped reading DC right around the time of the mess that was Convergance. What in Rebirth is worth picking up? Ruckas Wonder Woman sounds good, but is anything else decent?
Thanks, pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1466911481999.png (111 KB, 800x1249) Image search: [Google]
1466911481999.png
111 KB, 800x1249
bump 1
>>
rucka wonder woman is theoretically something that should have a lot of promise, but the first two issues is basically rucka saying "fuck azzarello and chiang, who crafted a rock-solid mythos and origin for diana, we're going full on multiple origin potential here" and while it has the potential to be good, it hasn't capitalized on anything yet, because of two year plotting. Still, the sentiment behind the book is just retreading old territory

Aquaman started terribly but has gotten better. Ultimately the problem with the aquaman rebirth issue was, like geoff johns first issue on aquaman, a really poor justification of why they thought aquaman is cool. It's so on the nose about people who think aquaman is stupid, even going so far as feeling the need to explain that aquaman doesn't 'talk' to fish. They feel the need to fight this insignificant stigma towards aquaman and it doesn't work. Rather it just comes off as boring. Show me why aquaman is cool, instead of telling me why for 20 pages. The issues following the rebirth issue, however, dive full on into atlantean action and politics and are much better.

Green Arrow is the prime example of how a good rebirth book should have been done. It figures out the character's core values and strengths, re-applies them but updates them for a modern setting that doesn't feel hamfisted in any way. It also brings supporting cast from the previous run while still adding new things. It also helps the art is fantastic on every level

Batman Rebirth as you'll see is pretty divisive here. Personally, I love that the run so far is King's take on a pure action book, keeping some deep elements but portraying those elements visually instead of in text. see the metaphor of the trees and the avocados in the rebirth issue, all primarily done visually. The story is the right blend of smart and blockbuster and even Finch is getting better as a penciller.
>>
>>84318251
looking at it, im pretty hype for Blue Beetle. Detective Comics also seems good on paper.
>>
>>84317924
>I stopped reading DC right around the time of the mess that was Convergance.
Too bad. DCYou had a lot of quality comics.

>What in Rebirth is worth picking up?
There's a wide opinion on which ones are good, which is fine. That means there's something for everyone so it's best to either choose something that looks interesting or just check them all out. The one near unanimous standout seems to be Green Arrow. Pretty much everyone is in agreement that there's nothing that's really outright bad. Hitch's Justice League - Rebirth comes closest, but that's a Rebirth special. I'll explain below.

>Ruckas Wonder Woman sounds good, but is anything else decent?
It's a very slow burn, but interesting if you like that.

The basic setup for Rebirth is that each line has a Rebirth special that serves as an introduction for new readers and also helps establish the status quo. The bulk of readers here seem to find the Rebirth specials as pretty mediocre, but that's really because they're purely for setup, with the exception of the Green Arrow special which was a full story. The first wave of #1s happened a couple of weeks ago and the first wave of #2s happened this week. Most every #1 and #2 issue seems to have been met largely positively. As I said above, there's a wide opinion on which ones are the best. Comics are art and like any art there's accounting for personal taste. My personal standouts are Green Arrow, Superman and Action Comics. Green Lanterns is surprisingly entertaining.
>>
>>84318251
continuing.

Superman has been weird so far. Like the rebirth issue was an exercise in retelling stories and not moving anything forward. the first issue was all over the place but had great art. have not read #2 yet. Tomasi seems to be DC's middle of the road guy.

Titans Rebirth has only had 1 issue so far and while brett booth is a milquetoast early image comics kind of artist, he can't ruin what was a warm and sentimental issue.

Green Lanterns rebirth is surprisingly enjoyable for a book written by dogfucker humphries. it follows buddy cop formula, but with two personalities wildly divergent from any buddy cop movie or comic ever seen. Of course its rehashing the johns stuff already with a red lanterns arc, but read it for the characters

The Flash Rebirth was middle of the road DC for me. nothing special but nothing terrible.

justice league rebirth is already a turd on sight. Bryan Hitch falls into the trap of "artist who thinks he can write but really can't", even though there are artists who write well too, he is not one of them. His art has gotten sloppier too.

haven't read action comics because I don't care for dan jurgens

Detective Comics is Tynion's first great work in comics, and primarily on the basis that it is a dysfunctional team being trained like a military unit, and on the second basis of it being a 90s-bat nostalgia/chuck dixon nostalgia book, of which I am guilty of as well. We're already getting a tim, steph, cass love triangle thing
>>
Flash and Superman are pretty good, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying King's Batman considering how much I hate Batman. Titans seems awesome. And that's about all that I care about from Rebirth until Shazam is released.
>>
I did this post:

>>84318343

But I just wanted to comment on these posts:

>>84318251
>>84318392

Like I said in my post, comics are art and art is subjective. But just as an example on the extremely wide range of opinions on what's been good for Rebirth, my opinions are largely the opposite of his:

Wonder Woman I found to be really slow burn, but I like the direction that it's going and I'm used to Rucka.

Aquaman I found to be a solid above average issue and one of the more entertaining lines.

Green Arrow I agree is the standout.

Batman I find to be one of the lesser of the Rebirth books, but still interesting. The recent #2 issue I felt was really good.

Superman, again, is one of my standouts. I appreciate Gleason's art and the family interactions.

The Titans Rebirth special I found to be one of the lesser Rebirth books, but it's the special so I can overlook it.

Green Lanterns is surprisingly entertaining.

Like Aquaman, I found Flash to be a solid above average issue and one of the more entertaining lines.

Justice League Rebirth is the worst of the Rebirth books, but it's the special so I can overlook it.

Action Comics I really enjoyed due to the interactions between pre-Flashpoint Clark and (the much more superior than the old version) New-52 Lex.

Detective Comics, like Batman, I found to be one of the lesser Rebirth books but still interesting.
>>
>>84318625
Agreed with Aquaman, Superman, and Action Comics. My favorite Rebirth books so far. I actually loved Titans Rebirth, and am really looking forward to the series because of it.

I'm not feeling Flash, though. I'll probably end up dropping it in a month or so if it doesn't pick up.
>>
>>84318625

It's totally fair that we disagree with each other - I just think we have different values in mind when it comes to what makes good comics. granted my problem with aquaman was more so the rebirth issue. I did fairly mention the stuff after it is much better, and I want to add they should have led off with that instead.

But I also think the rebirth concept is the hardest idea to execute - a so-called going back to the core traits of a character - because every writer and by extension every fan, inevitably, has a different opinion of what makes a character great.

and that being said, my criticism with the rebirth issue of aquaman are moreso concerned with this difference in values between me and the writer. Personally, I think the geopolitics and the division between land and sea is what makes arthur great, not the explanations for what his powers do and how much of a badass he is.

Still, I like that we agree on some sentiments
>>
>that WW#3 cover with Nicola Scott's name wrongly placed
>>
File: STL010863.jpg (283 KB, 976x1500) Image search: [Google]
STL010863.jpg
283 KB, 976x1500
>>84321597
Forgot pic
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.