[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After finishing Gravity Falls recently, I don't really feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 675452.jpg (402 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
675452.jpg
402 KB, 1920x1080
After finishing Gravity Falls recently, I don't really feel like going back to watching shows at the moment that are purely episodic and don't have a clear end in mind. Spectacular Spiderman and Steven Universe also made me feel this way.

The only ones in my list so far are Wander Over Yonder and Over the Garden Wall.
>>
Well, Samurai Jack is episodic, but it has a clear end goal (that they're making right now) and probably has better drama and storytelling than most of the shows on your list.
There's a few other examples of shows with strong continuity (A:TLA) but overall it's a relatively new thing in western animation, executives were long hostile to the idea because it means re-runs won't be understood properly by people who haven't watched the show all the way through, but recently they've realized the internet hype that story arcs create improve ratings. So you can expect more such shows in the future.
OTGW is only 2 hours long total btw and if you liked Gravity Falls then you should definitely get on that. WOY's arc doesn't really start until the second half of the show and it has a different style to its humor than most modern cartoons (feels a bit more traditional I guess) but find out for yourself if you like it.
>>
>>84163797
Yeah, I kind of expected this to be the truth with western animation. I just hoped there were some shows I missed since I only recently started browsing /co/.

I forgot to mention Avatar as another show that gave me that feeling. Though I still do have the final season of Korra to watch. Might as well go and re-watch the whole first series again while I'm at it.

I also might re-watch Samurai Jack because of the new show their making.
>>
>>84163797
>recently they've realized the internet hype that story arcs create improve ratings
There's still the problem of wanting to keep a show going and going, but then just cancelling it as soon as some executive decides he doesn't like it anymore.
>>
>>84163797
>>84163841
I'm this same guy, and I forgot for some reason: Venture Bros
It's been running for 13 years and the characters and story have developed dramatically, the writing is fantastic and there's like 50+ characters and somehow it's easy to keep track of all of them and their names and motivations and such.
The first season is a bit more standard Adult Swim stuff, sort of a 60s Johnny Quest parody, but it quickly finds its own identity and it's absolutely worth watching all of it.
>>
>>84163889
Also the latter, HD seasons have some amazing animation by modern TV standards
>>
>clear end in mind
The show was good for the first half, but it did not in any way have a clear ending in mind. In fact it was pretty disappointing.
>>
File: 1466309450619.png (150 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1466309450619.png
150 KB, 800x800
>>84163691
I'm on the same boat as you OP.

Saddly there is just Voltron out there that does things like this, but it looks generic an people said the isn't even as good as ATLA season 1.
>>
>>84164112
This is where I seem to disagree with /co/.

After finishing it recently, I decided to start going on /co/ to talk about it. Turns out everyone here seems to dislike season 2B. I thought it all wrapped up well.
>>
>>84164147
The airing schedule pissed people off and expectations were entirely too high. I agree that it seems they rushed to the ending just a little bit but I don't think there was any sort of huge, appreciable drop in quality. It's a solid little show that will be remembered as such
>>
Is Dipper smiling in this pic? http://pre10.deviantart.net/81fe/th/pre/f/2014/307/6/c/stae_by_demitasse_lover-d85568u.jpg
>>
>>84164196
I binged it recently. Which is probably why I was more forgiving and loved it so much.
>>
File: Not smiling.png (72 KB, 253x165) Image search: [Google]
Not smiling.png
72 KB, 253x165
>>84164221
No. Look at his eyebrows. He looks mad.
>>
>>84164243
I was looking at the lips.
>>
>>84164319
Ohhhhh, goooood for you. And how was it? I hope it was fucking good, because it's useless now, isn't it?
>>
>>84164319
But with the context of his eyebrows you know now that he's not smiling.
>>
>>84164243
It also looks like that is the normal position of his lips. Some drawings don't have a horizontal line as the neutral position of the lips, but a slight slant upwards as the neutral position.
>>
>>84164196
The huge gaps between episodes were bad. Aside from that, everything's fine.
>>
>>84163797
>So you can expect more such shows in the future.
Can I?

Can I really? Because I seriously doubt that when they keep cancelling them all.
>>
>>84164595
I mean SU is CN's highest rated show, I can't possibly explain the constant hiatus but you'd think they'd try to emulate it with that being the case.
And Disney begged Alex for a third season of GF
>>
>>84163691
>I don't really feel like going back to watching shows at the moment that are purely episodic and don't have a clear end in mind
Hahaha well sorry but thats all you'll get in wsetern cartoons.
>>
>>84163691

I wouldn't say Spectacular Spider-Man was episodic, the plot was built on in each episode, but 100% agree with you in regards to no clear ending. I remember when it first finished, I'd just let it play on a continual loop on my computer then I stopped because it made me sad knowing there would never be a conclusion. Too many hours spent browsing those Greg Weisman forums trying to find some closure.
>>
>>84163691
Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated

It's episodic but there's an overarching mystery that spans the whole show
>>
>>84166801
Yeah I really could have rephrased the whole post better.

Spectacular Spiderman didn't really fit in with the other examples, but I thought of it because it had really good humor like the other shows.

Either a good serialized cartoon or a part serial, part episodic cartoon is basically what I'm looking for.
>>
Well I'm sure you've seen the threads about Bojack Horseman season 3 coming in July. You should catch the first 2 seasons before that comes out. It's a great show in my opinion, and /co/ntrary to popular belief here, you don't need to understand depression to "get" it at all
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.