[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D'ya think the Looney Tunes will ever be relevant again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
D'ya think the Looney Tunes will ever be relevant again? It seems like every comeback Warner Bros tries doesn't catch on
>>
Classic Warners and Classic Disney aren't even relevant now because they're too busy making actual jokes instead of internet memes
>>
>>84002309
Let's just have Bugs turn his prankish crossdressing into a legit lifestyle choice to appeal to the LGBBQ crowd. It'll be hip and progressive!
>>
>>84002309

Unfortunately, Warner allowed CN to just sit on the Looney Tunes for years, never showing them, and this went on from about 2005-2010. You can't just take your brand entirely off the air and expect it to survive, no matter how good it is.

I think the characters will be semi-relevant for a few decades yet, but they were once absolutely central to everyone's favorite animation, and they can never get back there.

Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo, also WB properties that weren't allowed to disappear, have kind of taken their place as "the classic cartoons we still market and you still know," which is a shame as they are in no way good replacements in terms of content or (usually) quality.
>>
>>84002585

I'm pretty sure they were pulled from CN back then due to Soccer Moms getting upset over the supposed racism (which was mostly cut out from TV airings years ago) and violence.

They still barely show them in their original form. The only time they're on TV is late night on Boomerang. All they show on CN is their shitty spin-offs such as TLTS, Wabbit, and Baby Looney Tunes (why?)

Sometimes I just don't understand W-B. They pulled all of Looney Tunes from syndication unless it's on a Turner network, yet Turner networks don't show them. I can almost guarantee you that another network will pay good money to show those in their original form.
>>
File: 1466673556404.png (45 KB, 464x546) Image search: [Google]
1466673556404.png
45 KB, 464x546
Just let them die before they turn into this.
>>
File: 1466303111784.png (251 KB, 424x501) Image search: [Google]
1466303111784.png
251 KB, 424x501
>>84003116
>>
>>84002309
The looney tunes show was a great show that really could have brought it back toatleast th popularity of the rest of the CN line up. To get really out there Bugs would have to had been everywhere.
>>
>>84003116
>Just let them die before they turn into this.

PLEASE don't give them any ideas.
>>
>>84002521
I don't think those crowds actually consume the media they praise. See, video games
>>
>>84002309
They should pull a Duck Dodgers and turn the Daffy Duck the Wizard short into a full cartoon
>>
>>84003116
>M-MUH CALARTS BOOGEYMAN
>>
>>84002309
the looney toons show was actually pretty good i guess kids didnt know what to make of it.
>>
>>84003383
That shit needed a season 3, but I suspect somebody with more pull got it curtailed because they thought their idea "Wabbit" was better.
>>
>>84003508
Hell, I can write a basic pitch right now:
>Daffy is an wizard, fresh out of the College of Mages. While a powerful and talented spellcaster, he is also a moron with no sense of right or wrong who severely overestimates his own power and always uses more force than he should.
>Porky is a fighter and Daffy's personal assistant, and desperately tries to control him and deal with his messes.
>Bugs is either a rogue or another wizard, who always ends up crossing paths with the two. He acts as the standard trickster character. Daffy sees him as a rival.
>Together, Daffy and Porky travel the land in search of power and riches
>Art style is the same as the Wizard short. Soundtrack is cheesy epic power metal
>>
>>84002912
nope, it had to do with infighting between the Warner and Turner(aka Cartoon Network) portions of Time-Warner that lasted for years(most of the really weird decisions that the various sub-companies that make up Time-Warner do is because most of them hate each other's guts to an absolutely ridiculous extent)
>>
>>84003683
I'd pay to watch this
>>
>>84003683

So Duck Dodgers except a different setting with Bugs as a common returning factor?

I'd watch it. Duck Dodgers was fucking fantastic.
>>
>>84002309
Frankly I think they're doomed to being mediocre for the next twenty years
>>
I was raised in the eighties.

They made nothing with those characters during that time that made them appeal to me.

It was the original merry melodies up to the stuff made in the sixties, in reruns, that sold me and my generation and allowed them to make billions on hip hip tweety t-shirts.

They should re-air it all, the older ones, do that for a decade and plant the seed again, they shouldn't lose more money on this and they shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>84003116
wabbit is pretty much this
>>
>>84002309
It has no soul. The old days allowed the artists and writers to freely unleash their creativity in damn near any way they saw fit. Racist caricatures, wild sexualization, outrageous violence, and parody of celebrities/historical events it was all on the table. They were given the space to operate outside of muh feelins and the result was pure comedy. Thin skinned hippies and nigger lovers is what killed it. They purged everything that doesn't align with their marketing department.
>>
>>84002309
Since the original LT made a ton of fun over stereotypes, no. That would trigger the modern stereotype.
>>
>>84004537
I guess you're right. It's already too late.
>>
Holy shit I had no idea Wabbit existed before now. Why do they keep doing these terrible things?
>>
I saw just enough of Wabbit to see that it tries too much on the Slice of Life. LT made a parody out of anyone and everything.
>>
>>84003416
Yeah but tv viewerhip is all surveys and nielsen ratings.
Thats literally clicking boxes and saying you watched something regardless of whether or not you actually did.
>>
>>84004707
Which is pretty stupid because the TV is pretty much becoming irrelevant. Nowadays it's all about internet downloads.
>>
You know how sometimes instead of a commercial break, they show a music video instead?

CN should do that, but with Looney Tunes shorts
>>
>>84002309
>D'ya think the Looney Tunes will ever be relevant again?

With so much pandering to nostalgia in Hollywood now I'm surprised about no Space Jam 2.
>>
>>84002585
The original Scooby Doo show was anal waste.
>>
If Joe Alaskey's death can boost up DVD/Blu-Ray sales then yes it can.
>>
File: e.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
I blame 40% of the shit on the crappy generic animation
>>
>>84004633
>>84004660
Loony Tunes was originally shown in theaters and made for adults anyway.
>>
Most of the tropes and stereotypes that Bugs Bunny made fun of don't exist anymore. You'll find more relevant parodies in Animaniacs or South Park.
>>
The original shorts were made be geniuses at the top of their game, and they also heavily focused on parodying the pop culture of their day. Finding people that talented and giving them a budget to match the same quality of animation simply isn't going to happen, and most attempts to deal with modern culture will feel out-of-place and cringey.
Looney Tunes should be re-run because it holds up, they shouldn't try to make more.
>>
Let's be honest, nostalgiafags like to go on and on about how great Looney Tunes were back in the old days but are they REALLY that funny today to a modern audience? Same with shit like Popeye.
>>
>>84003116
Daily reminder that CalArts is considered one of the best art schools in the country
>>
>>84003416
>undertale
>>
>>84003522
>boogeyman
>>
>>84003522
>>84005042
He's not even mentioning Calarts you retards.
Yes, there's bait threads everyday that blame Calarts for the style, but that doesn't mean said cancerous doesn't exist.
>>
>>84005106
said cancerous style*
>>
>>84004728
And what's the big meme right now? The Dover Boys short from 1940. WB could be cleaning up the internet but they're too damn retarded.
>>
The Looney Tunes Show concept had potential, and it was occasionally pretty okay, but they could've made it better. For one I think they should've aimed it older and ran it on a broadcast network, not saying they should've made it "edgy" and for adults only but Seinfeld levels of content would've went a ways in distinguishing it from other modern iterations of the LT and getting critics & audiences to notice, and in a way it would be closer to the original intended audience of the franchise. Then they should've hired really talented writers and showrunner who could do something smart and hillarious with that idea, these are characters who need absolutely no introduction so they could've got to the jokes immediately and if it was great right off the bat I'm sure they could've managed to make a hit.
>>
>>84002309
If Space Jam 2 will be successful, maybe.
>>
File: 1465277432567.webm (3 MB, 638x332) Image search: [Google]
1465277432567.webm
3 MB, 638x332
>>84005039
They hold up better than current cartoons will in the long run.
>>
File: bran-2.png (53 KB, 359x244) Image search: [Google]
bran-2.png
53 KB, 359x244
>>
>>84004841
Pretty sure that it's been announced with Lebron as the star.
>>
>>84002309
Well there's Space Jam 2 in the works and Lebron just "coincidentally" bought himself a credibility back.
So maybe that will help.
>>
>>84005656
Can you even really replicate the popularity of Jordan and basketball at this point? Space Jam happened when it looked like that was going to be america's next national sport.
>>
>>84003416
Threadly reminder that Whor is the best selling Marvel female comic.
>>
>>84003683
Oh, fuck me, I want this. God fucking DAMN.
>>
>>84002309
americans are culturally nihilistic.

Besides cartoons are aimed for children, their appeal is small.
>>
>>84005586
>GOD TIER ANIMATED FIGHT

Who did animate this?
>>
>>84005039
I watched What's Opera Doc for the first time the other day and hated it.
>>
>>84002585
>>84002912
>>84003873
You know maybe they shouldn't air Looney Tunes on CN at all. Of course that brings up the question of where Looney Tunes should be aired. My answer: The CW. And yes I know that sounds very stupid when you consider the type of content that is aired on that station and the type of demographic that watches The CW.

However just let my explain my reasoning at least. The CW is a Warner Bros network or at least partially. The other half is owned by CBS. However this still gives WB more control than with CN. Two, just because the demographic is mostly composed of young adults and teenagers doesn't mean that they won't watch it. There's probably plenty of people in those age groups who watch cartoons of some kind. Thus, if WB aired quality Looney Tunes programming a good amount of CW watchers would probably watch it.
>>
>>84008271
Blasphemer! You shall burn for your heresy!
>>
>>84008271
You have no taste then, fucking philistine. You are a bad person and you should feel bad.
>>
File: tumblr_o4726wKNCu1v5ld53o1_250.png (29 KB, 177x145) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4726wKNCu1v5ld53o1_250.png
29 KB, 177x145
>>84003116
>people falling for the b8
>>
File: 2016-01.png (138 KB, 548x162) Image search: [Google]
2016-01.png
138 KB, 548x162
>>84005644
Dubs confirm
>>
>>84004927

What stereotypes?
>>
>>84008150

Hello cuckbe fan.
>>
>>84009675
like that all french people are smelly rapists, not just the migrants
>>
File: CARROTBLANCA_1.jpg (4 MB, 1881x1471) Image search: [Google]
CARROTBLANCA_1.jpg
4 MB, 1881x1471
>>84004927
>Arguing about pop culture references whentalking about Looney Tunes.

This is the problem here, the classics were still funny in their own right without you even understanding the references. The new stuff is just writer spiel about pop culture. And writers ironically have the most dated taste in pop culture references.
>>
>>84004633
This. LT at its peak is among the best comedy in any media. At this point there's nothing they did right that would be done now.
>>
>>84008271
It's overrated. Go find a Bugs short from between 1939 and 1945.
>>
>>84009502

Why not just emulate the recent Mickey shorts and get talented writers and artists to make new shorts?
>>
>>84011203
And invest in an asset? What do you take Turner for, businessmen?
>>
>>84005586
>Top_10_Anime_Battles.jpg
>>
>>84011203
>writers

Uh... to do what? Hand the animators coffee?
>>
>>84010961
Bugs x Penelope
>>
>>84010961
Holy shit, this is real? I saw it once so long ago I thought I had imagined it.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.