[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Write thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: write.png (514 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
write.png
514 KB, 630x630
Answer all questions if you can.

About your work:
>Is your work a cartoon or a comic?
>Can you sum up your work in a few lines?
>Can you provide a link to your work?
>When do you expect having finished your work?
>What are the main flaws in your work, according to you?
>Do you spend more time writing plotlines or worldbuilding?
>What have you done for your work this week?

About the work above you:
>What do you think of the work posted just above your own?
>Would you read/watch it if it was in the market?
>What you liked the most and what you liked the least in that work?
>If YOU were the author of that work what would you change?

About this thread:
>Which work among all those posted in this thread (EXCEPT YOUR OWN!) is your favorite?
>Are there any questions you would like to add or remove for the next thread?
>>
Prose, sucka! Though I'd kill to see it animated some day.
After a mech-based war leaves the world a desert ruin, one old soldier tries to eke out a living in the wasteland with his only friend, the mech's overly-positive computer. The two end up facing the choice of standing alone in defense of a small settlement or just walking away.
A couple weeks. Got some time off from work coming up, so I'll be able to tits through it.
It feels really derivative
Worldbuilding, definitely.
I came up with it.
>>
Uhm neither. Probably a webserial.
It's about the Second Rennesaince of the Superhero community on an alternate Earth, and follows Desmond Wintergrief, who inherits lots of magic stuff but doesn't have magic genes. So he becomes a master of runes and alchemy/potions, gets a dragon, mixes it with technology and can best be described as a ''Metal Gear Witcher''. Then there's Quantum, the smartest guy in the room, who's my Reed Richards-analogue rocking a way more advanced then Iron Man Iron Man suit, and Wraith who is a Danny Phantom/Nightwing mix who lead the Valiant, a group of teen heroes. It's going to be in loads of saga's which all have arcs. The Origin Saga so far is the longest, because it makes the people who they are. It's basically Act I of the entire story.
not yet
probs never. maybe just start at one point and see how far i come. i have so much notes i need to digitalize, and also lost so many ideas that i didnt save properly.
may seems a bit mary sue-ish
both!
converted to OneNote, which I used on my previous PC that I lost. and had also loads of my work. I'm bout halfway through.
>>
>>83637211
>>83637299
How do you expect feedback if you have no link?
>>
>>83637834
I don't. I only needed an outlet while at work.
>>
File: colorisation_bebete.jpg (3 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
colorisation_bebete.jpg
3 MB, 2480x3508
>>83636444
A cartoon called "The way back home". The orignal title is "On rentre!", which can be translated litteraly as "Let's reenter!"
Two everyday regular children, a brother and a sister are abducted away from Earth by aliens. They must spend the whole series across the Milky Way trying to get back home.
All I have translated into English can be read here:
http://pastebin.com/p3vp7Hcv
Most of my project will be done by August if all goes well. After that it is only a matter of knocking at producers doors.
0 speech line written. I have thousands of ideas for plot and visuals but I have no idea what the characters could say, yet. Drawing skills too low, although I started to improve that.
Plotlines. I get worldbuilding ideas when I'm off-work. When I'm walking in the street for exemple.
Written a fourth episode, drawn poster sketches and registered legally my work, which is the first step toward author rights.

btw can you help me chose which design is best for Bug? Just chose the character shape you prefer among these four in the picture.
>>
>>83636444
Why do you keep trying to do this?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-06-16h38m59s132.png (329 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-06-16h38m59s132.png
329 KB, 640x360
>About your work:
>>Is your work a cartoon or a comic?
Prose.

>>Can you sum up your work in a few lines?
Characters exclusive to Lego Star Wars used to tell a more straightforward storytwo years after Empire Day.

>>Can you provide a link to your work?
Nope. Not up on Wattpad yet.

>>When do you expect having finished your work?
Pfft. Ongoing. This is my de-stressing project.

>>What are the main flaws in your work, according to you?
Being SWU, I have a natural tendency to try and research too much. I spent 18 hours watching SW video games because I wanted to borrow some game-exclusive characters for backstory, and I wanted to get it right.
And then i swnt tracking down names. I talked to the writer of the Lego Star Wars special to get names for some characters (he sent me script excerpts) and I ended up tracking down the name of a Star Wars Kinect character so obscure he's not even named on Wookiepedia.

>>Do you spend more time writing plotlines or worldbuilding?
Writing now, but I'm also figuring my way around the world.

>>What have you done for your work this week?
4,500 words I think. Not as much as I ought to've.
>>
Comic

It's a sort of Anti-Super Hero story (not to be confused with Anti-Hero story). It's about a fat guy who gets infinite strength but only in one hand and is other wise totally useless. He thought he wanted to be a hero but as he gets deeper and deeper within.

Month end / early July for the first issue. Using this as a test to work with a friend.

I'm worried about making the main character "just likeable enough" as he's a loser and the point of the overall story is that everyone else overshadows him but in the end, he'll be the best character.

I'm having trouble getting good dialogue and pacing my story aswell. The pacing as he begins doing mundane tasks before moving on to the ultra epic super hero fights.

Plotlines

Set out what needs to happen in the first issue as well as prototype dialogue between the MC and other characters (which I keep jumping between loving and hating).
>>
>Comic. With a defined ending, but maybe part of a loosely connected anthology

>In a post-Rapture world, everything is run by the M-Corporation, a demon-run power company that's siphoning energy from captured angels to power damn near everything. When a high level enforcer, the half mortal son of a succubus, wakes up in a sleepy motel with a vampire hooker, no memory of the last three days, and his employers chasing him down the race for answers begins all set to the slowly dimming neon lights of the big city

>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B87sz3e0mIThQ19CZThKR1pjOUU

>At the moment, the last line of dialogue. It's so bad it's just caused me to freeze.

>I don't know man. Been staring at this for like a year now...

>I think I might just intentionally make the protagonist bad at one-liners.

Lego Star Wars thing could be cool if it doesn't rely too heavily on the Lego aspects.
I'd probably read it because I've been reading every piece of Star Wars fiction that's come out for over twenty years now.
I like the use of obscure characters, but dislike the lack of original characters.
I'd just use original characters.
>>
>>83641582
Pincers under the crotch look ridiculous but B and D's under-crotch area looks like shit.
>>
>>83643279
I just realized that's the wrong link. This one's further along, and actually to the line I was griping about.

>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B87sz3e0mIThc2RTLVpsYmpwYXM
>>
>>83643736
Except there is no pincers for B and D. Its the end of the wings. But thanks for your help.
>>
>>83636444
You keep trying to do this while ignoring the fact that a good portion of the reason why you don't get a lot of responses is that there really isn't much to be said about an idea without seeing the execution.

These threads were at their most active when some guy just went around making the most inane criticisms about ideas and people stopped responding to that after a while.

Just give up already.
>>
>>83636444
Comic, but i hope to animate it someday
A group of friends are the reincarnations of a group of ancient god slaying warriors, they work to prepare the galaxy for the second godwar.
The story will probably be done by august, don't know about the art
I still don't know where to start telling the story
Worldbiulding, but it's usually an even split
Demons
>>
>>83636444
I'd like it to be a comic, but since is suck at drawing and I'm having problems to find an artist to please me I'm sticking to the novel format
Capeshit story about a girls who tries to do her best, she tries to become a hero but in the process end up as a villain who believes that she is still a hero
Is still WIP so nope
As I'm still working in the details and I'm rewriting them every so often I'd guess 1 or 2 years
Right now my lack of vocabulary, gotta read more books mate
I'm focusing more in the worldbuilding aspect since I have already all the plotlines I need
I have rewrite 2 characters and their motivations so they can fit better in the story without breaking it

>Are there any questions you would like to add or remove for the next thread?
I'd like to have more tips or stuff for more amateurs writers in the next thread, since I believe these kinds of threads should have their own community
>>
>>83636444
Bump
>>
File: 55934283brule.jpg (17 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
55934283brule.jpg
17 KB, 640x360
How do you develop your characters, bros?
>>
>>83651035
Honestly? I start from the beginning. Their birth/childhood up to whatever point they're at in my story. What events shaped them to be who they are today?
>>
>>83651035
>How do you develop your characters, bros?
Usually a write a first chapter that I end up tossing out. The characterization evolves as the chapter develops, and is horribly inconsistent from the beginning vs. the end. By the end of this 'demo' chapter, I've gotten the essential bits fleshed out.

My current story had two such opening chapters -- one of which was going to be a Reverse Police Chase with snarky off-center commentary about the setting. That ended up as a HUUUGE exposition dump that derailed itself before the police even showed up. The second such chapter was supposed to involve the main character going out to buy pocky on a space station, bumping into someone he ought to go after and deciding it was too much trouble. (Thus demonstrating his disaffected he is.) That got some planning, but also went nowhere.

The final "first chapter" (and the one that's taken) involve the MC murdering 30 dwarves while he's bitchy. It demonstrates his skills, his neglect of said skills, and groundlays his backstory without laying it out. (e.g. he thinks about his father on 3 occasions rather than explaining his relationship with his father, which was what happened in the first plot-breaking opening.)
I make no attempt to make this guy sympathetic in this new version. I'm just trying to avoid exposition dumps... and I think I'm succeeding.

...I have no idea if this is useful for you.
I will say that when I was stuck I employed Bujold's Rule. "Think of the worst thing that could happen to your character, then do it." After going through an entire chapter of what was supposed to be a polite character-introductory setpiece, he's suddenly shot in the eye. He survives, but it totally changes the stakes and premise of the confrontation in the chapter. Dealing with the consequences of this means that my previously-intended Chapter 2 will become Chapter 4, but I can live with that. It pushes me in interesting directions.
>>
About your work:
Comic script. I have a few more but am looking for feedback on basically everything script related. (I will provide link to two scripts if thats OK)

First one is a horror story about an exterminator. Second one is about a cyberpunk police raid and the psychological/psychotropic warfare they use.

Absolutely. I do have a wix (i apologise for my noobiness) but here are the links to the scripts:
http://media.WhyIXist(that's wix).com/ugd/cb126e_3e669a0e574c4f688915f54b821fa9e9.pdf
http://media.WhyIXist(that's wix).com/ugd/cb126e_fc84e053bb964762bc03ba37e53f2b87.pdf

I consider them completed to a degree, but's that's because I don't like dwelling on things for too long.

I have many flawws because I do not really know how to write properly yet. My main background is in academic writing, so I can often fail to have proper narratives instead putting too much emphasis on conceptual descriptions and the like. I rarely have any developed characters and I don't think I hav a clear enough vision for the how the comic itself is supposed to look. My scripts are more like pitches. But the reasonn I'm posting is because I actually don't know the full extent of my flaws!

Probably plotlines, and the setting tends to just influence how i envisage them.

Tried to write another mini-script about some philosophy/social theory stuff.
>>
About the work above you >>83648553

I really like the idea of her still thinking she is a hero. I think that is something both interesting and important to explore.

Potentially. Though I don't read a lot of cape stuff.

Without the script I can't reall say.

Again, can't really say.

As for vocabulary. you can actually do a surprising amount with just mundane words. Look at folk songs and the like. its how you put the words together, not neccesarily theh words you choose (though a big vocabular obviuosly helps a lot :p)
>>
>>83636444
>>Is your work a cartoon or a comic?
Comic probably
>>Can you sum up your work in a few lines?
A brother and sister, who are the last of the royal family, fled their kingdom after it was overtaken by rebels. A few years have passed since their retreat. Now, the two are trying to get back to their land to reclaim it
>>Can you provide a link to your work?
Nope
>>When do you expect having finished your work?
No idea
>>What are the main flaws in your work, according to you?
Probably the amount of villains I'd put in there. I love me some bad guys
>>Do you spend more time writing plotlines or worldbuilding?
Worldbuilding. There would be so many kingdoms and towns that need detail
>>What have you done for your work this week?
Thought of a few more ideas, that's about it
>>
>>83643279
this reads so well! will check out the longer script later today
>>
>>83652939
>>83648553
>>83647202
>>83642349
>>83637299
>>83637211
>No links
What kind of opinion can you expect about your work when there's nothing to read
>>
How much information should one put in a script in regards to artistic direction?
>>
>>83643767
ha ha, i see what you mean about that last line!

In regardss to some constructive criticism. In the panels when the actino starts, it seems out of place ot have literary descriptions in the caption. The narrative energy increases, but the captions suck that energy out right away, as they are sort of atemporal, narrator like. if you can work out a way to get hteh same infomraiton across in a caption that suits the mood, that would be awesome.
>>
has anyone here ever gotten a response from places like marvel/dc or image?
>>
>>83660689
i've barely written a script. so thats a no from me
>>
>>83661147
Then go write that script. I belive in you anon.
>>
If I have a prose story not related to comics or cartoons, can I post? I don't want to ask /lit/ for help. They scare me.
>>
>>83658720
The captions are supposed to read like a noir-ish internal monologue by the main character. Like the voiceover in old detective serials.
>>
>>83652822
Thanks mate
>>83655488
Well, I can't really put on links since I write in spanish and I like to keep of stuff in for me, the only opinions I care about is mostly about my premise and stuff like that, as I will be working a lot in rewriting it every so often
>>83651035
I imagine the story and ask myself where I'd like it to go, then I think in what kind of characters I'd need, once I have them I start creating them, what are the motivations and desires and all of those little pesky details, after I finish with that I keep on writing letting the characters be themselves
>>
>>83661558
go ahead, /lit/ is fucking stupid
>>

Comic. I'd post in /a/ but they are diehard "noeh piggu disgusting ameri-weebshit allowed" because I want it to be anime style tradition with a lot of other inherently passive takes. Like having white people in the cast and other things.

The story is about a fantasy world I created, where mystical forces are not "supernatural" and are an aspect of nature; in response, people of the world are capable of harnessing them and follow a course of technology vastly different than reality's electricity/four fundamental forces/pure physical force's centered technology. The current time setting is that of a time where an age of possibility and peace is established post a great revolutionary war and rebellion by heroes born of what refugees and former denizens detest and scorn as "the old world", that once ruled the world entirely and racked up a lot of hate and loathing due to its oppression and arrogance.

Currently, the work is to start in "the west", focusing on a lone teenage girl refugee who becomes a citizen into a benevolent nation. Her parents died, as did her friends, and life got turned upside down for her for a while, but hope comes back into her life and she's ready to take on new challenges.

.... Not yet. That part is coming soon. Working on it.

Around the end of this summer.

I'd think it just existing, for one. I'll still love it the entire way.

Worldbuilding. Plotline writing got me very limited in what I would want to do with my work. I'll have events and various storylines that make history and forever change my cast but I can't say I have a definite conclusion.
>>
>>83663171 (me)

Get my beginning of the story all nicely fashioned and written to establish something definite, defined, and welcoming. Gotten the current cast's design and wardrobe fleshed out.

Need to get copyrights and site in though.

It's basic but that's not bad.

I have a bad habit of not watching anything related to the medium/genre I'm working on (as to not get trigger happy with shoving in references and shout outs to other forms of work). If I can I will, but sadly no, not to be offensive.

It's something rife with potential and I know that the writer can put a ton of imagination and work into it. What I like about it least.... That could spiral into a crashing wreck, but in my eyes I'm not very good nor lenient on picking apart what is considered "trite" to me, so I am going to judge carefully and wish the writer the best.

I'm not the author. That's his vision.

>>83652939
>>
File: TheBardWantsYou.png (26 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
TheBardWantsYou.png
26 KB, 550x550
Hey there, I’m putting out the call for writers of all skill levels to submit their work to our budding very short fiction magazine: The Bard Quarterly. As the name might express, we’re going to be publishing four times a year, beginning with issue #000 on September 1st, and continuing for as long as there’s interest. You can access our cheap-ass free website via our fb page:
fb.com/thebardquarterly/
or just follow the links in the image.

The dot-points:
>we want very short fiction (~750 words)
>we pay (a pittance)
>we give feedback even if we say no
>no comics, but short punchy writing is kind of like comics!
>it'll be in free pdf format

I'll check the thread again in ~24 hours to answer any questions, but it's all on the website.
>>
>>83662776
Neither! It's prose!

A man stuck on lake lets his fear get the best of him at every turn.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13bTMv-eJJiOSbi9q91K_tbT5FKbGChfYRV92RM37hzA/edit

It's done!

I don't know if everyone reacts to exhaustion and fear in the same way I do or the main character does. I also feel like my sentence structure is a bit basic and I'm sometimes repetitive. My grammar is awful; I know that for sure.

Outside of this work I spend too much time building worlds that I never use.

Wrote this and read through ten times to make sure the story works the way I want.

>>83663334
The idea for the world is interesting, but without knowing what new challenger the protagonist faces I'm not sold on the conflict

Maybe? Depends on the art really.

Can't really say without seeing more.

Once, again can't really say.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.