[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mr. Moore has denounced his work on Batman: The Killing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 17
File: Killingjoke.jpg (48 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
Killingjoke.jpg
48 KB, 300x460
>Mr. Moore has denounced his work on Batman: The Killing Joke

>Alan said he didn’t like his writing on the project and was particularly bothered by the fact that the tale turned out to be so violent and dark. He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras than to delve any deeper into the darker Batman stories currently popular.

>“I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it,” Moore says of his Batman graphic novel. “It was too nasty, it was too physically violent. There were some good things about it, but in terms of my writing, it’s not one of my favorite pieces.”

>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film. Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself, as he wants to distance himself from the story as much as possible.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3051969/batman-the-killing-joke-writer-alan-moore-it-was-too-nasty/
>>
>>83275149
It's bad because it's mean spirited
>>
My name is Alan Moore, and I'm the saltiest man alive.
>>
>>83275149
>Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from credits.
Al, my good man, I'm beginning to think you have a problem, some kind of addiction to not being named for things with your name on it.

You can't uncredit yourself from your work.
>Inb4 why not, it's his
I'm not saying he should not be allowed, I'm saying it is pointless at this point. If it was a few months after release maybe, I dunno. But like years?! Not gonna happen. If someone types in TKJ before or after seeing the movie they're going to see the goddamn articles about the book.

You can't be Anonymous after the act. That's not how it works.

Anyway he has nothing to worry about, the animation looked like dogshit last I checked, I imagine not many people are going to recall this fondly enough to actually look through the credits or look into the book when the search engine shows it.
>>
File: 1463713760778.jpg (31 KB, 700x494) Image search: [Google]
1463713760778.jpg
31 KB, 700x494
>>83275149
Wew
>>
>>83275149
>campy alan moore
eh, id be curious
>>
Let me guess he's gonna' say he never really liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen next isn't he?
>>
File: 1347580534697.jpg (86 KB, 505x624) Image search: [Google]
1347580534697.jpg
86 KB, 505x624
>>83275368
This Summer.
The only deconstruction left.
Is himself.
>"Alan Moore was a mistake" - Alan Moore
>>
>>83275149
>He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras

that sounds interesting. give him the watchmen rights and make this happen DC.
>>
>>83275149
>he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film.
Let me guess, and then he'll complain about it not being credited to him in the future?
>>
>>83275149
>Waah, now that all other comics are dark and brooding it bugs me that mine are
>>
>Mr. Moore has denounced his work
Water, wet
>>
>>83275417
>Waah, now that all other comics are dark and brooding it bugs me that *Original Writer's are
>>
I think Alan Moore is now on the same place as Frank Miller currently is. They're both extremely good writers who now have gone off the deep end in different ways.
>>
>>83275476
>one guy criticizes his own work and the company that fucked him over
>the other goes full stormfront regarding muslims

one is crazier than the other.
>>
>>83275539

Perhaps. They both have two things in common. They're both crazy, and their fans wished they were back when they were the fun kind of crazy instead of the depressing kind of crazy.
>>
>>83275417
much of Moore's body of work can be read as an intentional 'what not to do'
Watchmen was meant to demonstrate that making capeshit too serious and mature just produced unlikable assholes who invalidate the hardworking normal characters through their actions
Fishrape was meant to demonstrate that removing the subtly and implications from Lovecraftian tales results in rather straightforward and mystery-less monster tale

he has over the years finally accepted that he can't fight Poe's law and the only stories of his worth a damn were those done in sincerity
>>
>>83275149
Once again, Moore is right
>>
>>83275570
Reminds me of that Goofus and Gallant thread where we reinterpreted it for a laugh.
I never considered if that could actually happen in application until now.
>>
>>83275149
>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film. Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself,
This has been his policy for decades now. He goes over this every time. He decries those works and then says he would feel hypocritical to put down them and still get money for them so he has them remove his name from any official credits for legal reasons so that the people remaking/adapting or whatever his works aren't legally obliged to pay him.
>>
>>83275417

Watchmen was designed to point out that comics SHOULDN'T be dark and brooding and horrible.

Everyone just got distracted by omg rorschach so epic and badass!!
>>
>>83275368
You're a newfag. League was what started his removing his name from credits.
In 2003 when the LxG movie came out as such a terrible adaptation he said the movie was awful and didn't want to be associated with it. Of course the first reaction was smug internet fags like you trying to sound clever saying, "Ohhh you don't want to be associated with it but the royalty money is still good." To which he responded by going "Good point. Remove my credits and any royalties or pay go to the artist. I won't accept the money from something I've denounced." And that has been his official policy for every time since from the Constantine movie to Watchmen the movie to now The Killing Joke the cartoon. And know you know newfag and knowing is half the battle.
>>
>>83275408

He never complained about this before. Basically any movie or whatsoever he asks to not be credited and for any money to go for the artists.

Dude hates money.
>>
>>83275394
>>he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film.
>Let me guess, and then he'll complain about it not being credited to him in the future?
DC outright offered them back if he helped with Before Watchmen. He doesn't want them, he just wants to complain.
>>
>>83275359
You never read Tom Strong?
>>
>>83275892
>you can have the rights to your work if you help us ruin it first
>>
File: 1397544536967.jpg (48 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
1397544536967.jpg
48 KB, 562x437
>>83275149
>Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself, as he wants to distance himself from the story as much as possible.
>>
File: tumblr_o4emq2n8Op1qdyq52o2_400.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4emq2n8Op1qdyq52o2_400.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>was particularly bothered by the fact that the tale turned out to be so violent and dark
>>
He writes a Batman story, it becomes popular and now he shits on it. I bet if he did a campy 60s Batman story instead, he would be complaining that he should have done a Golden Age grim detective story.

As much as I like his work, Moore is losing the plot.
>>
This shilling is getting ridiculous. It's a stupid fucking idea DC, stop the damage control.
>>
>>83276120
But my kids need money, anon. Money to buy the many high-quality DC Comics Products available now for purchase.
>>
>>83276120
You actually think DC hired people to push their agenda because /co/ has such a far reaching and powerful audience? You are mentally ill.
>>
>>83275936
There's nothing campy about that.
>>
>>83276254
And you think people aren't hired to push agendas and promote things on the Internet. Most days I'd rather be "mentally ill" than ignorant.
>>
>>83275778
He was talking about the comic you illiterate queer
>>
>>83275778
That or your old as fuck. You realize that movie was thirteen years ago right?
>>
>>83276120
the DC shills do it for free, there is no downside.
>>
>>83275570
He literally said he hadn't read any Lovecraft before he wrote Fishrape. It wasn't a deconstruction, it was just bad.
>>
>>83275639

Moore could say anything and you would agree with him
>>
>>83276120
hail hydra my good sir
>>
>>83276333
In the case of Moore's whining, no. That would be crazy to think DC would feel the need to secretly send anons to post on /co/.
>>
>>83275149
Don't worry, Alan. Miller had already made sure Joker would never work as a campy character again before you could actually do any real damage.
>>
>>83276376
Why would you be predisposed to disagree with someone before they've said anything?
>>
>>83275778
It wasn't because the film was shit, it was because of the court case that followed which alleged that the film story was stolen from some other guys who pitched a similar story before. Moore was involved in the court battle and he felt as if he was being accused of having stolen the idea for his comic originally. He compared his treatment to that of somebody having blown up a bus full of retarded kids. After that, he gave up on Hollywood and distanced himself from all adaptations.

>>83276355
Not OP but I was 13 when the film came out and I read up on the court case when I was 16 and became interested in Moore's work and adaptations. It's not complicated to be curious and look up shit.
>>
>>83276399
You're right, on the Internet everyone is who they say they are 100% of the time and companies whose fanbases have a significant online presence would never think to promote their products obliquely on hugely popular forums.
>>
File: leth.jpg (33 KB, 656x370) Image search: [Google]
leth.jpg
33 KB, 656x370
>>83276426
I don't know, you tell me.
>>
>>83276422
Miller's Joker just killed people, which is nothingnew, TKJ's Joker was a twisted psychopath lost in mind/physical torturing people and trying to break them + sad/tragic origin story
>>
Moore saying that he thought Killing Joke wasn't a good comic despite all the reception it got is really old.
>>
>>83275558
Reminds me that both of them looks horrible and depress as fuck these day.
>>
If he wants to disown something, disown Lost Girls.
>>
>>83275704
>Everyone got distracted by the fact that he created a really good and intriguing story
FTFY
>>
>>83275149
Joke's on you, Moore. I like the Killing Joke as it is and there's nothing you can do to make me stop liking it.
>>
>>83276002
He's done this with every adaption of his work since League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 2003.
>>
I don't get why the Killing Joke is so polarizing.

Just because Barb got crippled? Gordon got it worse.
>>
>>83276562
SJWs thought Joker raped Barbara, even when Moore explicitly stated he never does.
>>
>>83276562
>polarizing
It's a critical acclaimed which is the reason Moore was so butthurt about it, anon. He would not act like a little bitch if people hate KJ.
>>
>>83276578

Yeah but who is going to believe Alan " I even raped a plant" Moore when it comes to this?
>>
>>83275149
>It was too nasty, it was too physically violent.
Coming from Moore this is ridiculous.

>He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras than to delve any deeper into the darker Batman stories currently popular.
What a hipster thing to say. And batman started out as dark, Mr. Moore, he later became campy and now returned to roots.
>>
>>83275704
>Watchmen was designed to point out that comics SHOULDN'T be dark and brooding and horrible.
No it wasn't. He wrote Swamp Thing, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, and pitched Twilight of the Superheroes around the same time. Edgy gorefests was what Alan Moore wrote back then.
>>
>>83276578
Oh right, he just took her clothes off and took naughty pictures of her while she was bleeding out with a bullet in her spinal cord.

Totally different
>>
>>83276649
>implying he wasn't doing it "ironically"
>>
>>83276502
Miller's Joker killed an unprecedented amount of people in DKR. Before then, he was a serial killer who killed more of his own crew than actual innocents.
>>
>>83276672
Yeah, no penetration, not rape.
>>
>>83276687
but killing is nothing special
he wasn't that twisted as Moore or Snyder's Joker
>>
>>83276704
but..there was penetration
>>
>>83276672

That's not rape.
>>
>>83276723
No cock penetrating pussy though, I meant. And if there was, I'd like to see your evidence.
>>
>>83276649

To be fair Swamp Thing is Vertigo and when the capes do show up they themselves aren't dark even though the Swamp Thing stories are. Swamp Thing takes off his cape and drapes it around the Floronic Man before taking him to Arkham to get help
>>
>>83275704
No, you're an idiot. Moore always hated superheroes and Watchmen is supposed to show them as the abominations and caricatures that they are. Even in TKJ he mocks the impracticality of their costumes by the scene in which Joker is poking his fingers through batman's eye sockets and pulling the mask over his face. Applying realism to capes and mocking them was his shtick.
>>
>>83276672
Legally speaking, there is a difference between rape and sexual assault.
>>83276739
Swamp Thing was pre-Vertigo and assigned the label after the fact. It just had a SUGGESTED FOR MATURE READERS label.
>>
>>83276737
It was a joke you autist. The bulled penetrated her...
>>
>>83275149
>campier
>detective-style

Those two styles are opposites. He's just saying words now.
>>
>>83276741
>Moore always hated superheroes

No he didn't
>>
>>83276751
Well, jokes are meant to be funny.
>>
>>83276746

Ah shit yeah you're right
>>
>>83276741
>ugh capes are so stupid and not realistic
>not like my league of extraordinary gentlemen, which are characters I stole from dead people
>>
>>83276771
It was pretty funny but since you're a sjw...
>>
>>83276793
>It was pretty funny but since you're a sjw...
And you call me an autist.
>>
>>83275149
He's mad because instead of keeping it as it is DC ended up treating it as canon. The "nasty" parts feel much more mean-spirited when they end up affecting the characters for the rest of their existence
>>
>>83275149
He's a very jaded and senile old man.
>>
>>83276771
wew lighten up lad
>>
File: killornot14.jpg (208 KB, 905x352) Image search: [Google]
killornot14.jpg
208 KB, 905x352
>>83276502
Are you kidding right now? Or did you forget what he did to Selina?
>>
>>83276844
Check out his Twilight of the Superheroes pitch. He wanted that to be canon, and that's far worse than anything in the Killing Joke.
>>
>>83276875
What, have her be out of shape when she ages after retirement?

Even ignoring that, do you really think current Selina-in-her-prime wouldn't be utterly fucked if Joker-in-his-prime went after her?
>>
>>83276906
>Check out his Twilight of the Superheroes pitch
OK

>Twilight was conceived as a standalone limited series which could also be tied to ongoing titles at the other writers' consent
>>
>>83276875
If this was Moor's Joker he would have found Selina naked probably raped and with pictures all over the place. Instead he just dressed her like WW and tied her (it's a reference to WW her lasso and her BSDM themes)
>>
>>83276964
Yeah, but he wanted it to be a canon endgame for the DCU.
>>
>>83276915
I was referring to the fact that he savagely beat and humiliated her. And why? Because she's his competition.
>>
>>83275149
Moore thought he went to far with the killing joke? then what the fuck was up with the fish rape in that one comic?
>>
>>83276372
by "much of Moore's body of work can be read as" I meant 'Death of the Author'
>>
>>83275967
>DC now holds guns to people's heads when they sign contracts

Good to know.
>>
>>83277004
Context, anon
>I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it

A horror setting is going to inevitably have horror whether implied or illustrated. Moore's testament on Batman is debatable, in the right hands it's handled well but in the wrong, well I'll just say a few too many drinks while watching Face/Off can have unfortunate consequences.
>>
>>83276967
You can't even articulate your thoughts intelligently, let alone acknowledge the fact that Moore himself has stated that Joker never raped Barbara.
>>
>>83277019
Nah, it's the people signing who bring guns. Good old Mike Grell...
>>
>>83276871
I am, I wasn't being malicious or anything. The joke just wasn't funny.
>>
>>83276333
Anon if I wanted to spend corporate bucks on shilling my product (something that couldn't be measured). I'd make sure it was to places like facebook, twiter, etc and not ones that would give me bad PR.
>>
>>83277027
The fish rape was more comical than horror though
>>
>>83275149
>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke

For fuck's sake Rasputin, is there anything in the world that you accept credit for? Fuck.

Moore's constant habit of asking for his name to be removed from things strikes me as cowardice at this point. The fact is, YOU WROTE IT you fuck. You can't un-write it. You cannot change the past. Whether you like it or not, it's your responsibility to take.
>>
>>83277056
Then try and lighten up a bit more, today is a good day.
>>
>>83276741

No he mocks the idea of taking them seriously. He thinks of them as childrens characters and in that function they work just fine.
>>
>>83277085
I'd post that Clown Rape screencap as a point on the blur between, but I'm not sure now's appropriate.
>>
>>83276980
In the way Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was endgame for silver age Supes? What's the problem with that? As if "dark future" stories like TDKR or Kingdom Come aren't a thing
>>
>>83277115
Which is pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>83277138
>Alongside Captain Marvel, there is Mary Marvel, who the Captain has married more to form a bona fide clan in opposition to that of Superman than for any other reason. There is also Captain Marvel Jr., now an adult superhero every bit as powerful and imposing as Captain Marvel in his prime, but forced to labor under the eternal shadow of a senior protégé. To complicate things, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel are having an affair behind the Captain's back, Guinevere and Lancelot style, which has every bit as dire consequences as in the Arthurian legends.
>Trapped in a child's body but afflicted with adult needs, Billy went quietly... well, bats, I suppose. A lot of the problems were sexual. Physically, Billy was not capable of normal sex and thus pretty soon began to experiment with more bizarre variations such as S&M, visiting the appropriate bars in clothing that made him look as grown-up as possible while he still had the face and body of a child. At a certain club on a certain night, Billy had met a strikingly tall call girl who seemed to meet his every fantasy requirement. They went to a room upstairs together and locked it from within. Billy was tied up, and then agreed to be gagged. At this point the call girl began to melt and change shape, shimmering as if through a heat haze before Billy's startled eyes. In the end, instead of a six foot six human woman, Billy is staring at a seven and a half foot tall green Martian man. It is J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter, on Earth incognito using his power of disguise. Billy, being gagged, cannot say Shazam and turn into Captain Marvel. Nor can he prevent the Manhunter snapping his neck with one blow of his hand. The Manhunter then walks out invisibly through the walls and leaves a dead midget and an unsoluble mystery.
Way beyond edge.
>>
>>83277031
>I have no argument, better insult

I see, you should have stopped replying sooner
>>
>>83275149
>It was too nasty, it was too physically violent

YOU WROTE A FISH RAPE COMIC A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO ALAN FOR FUCK'S SAKE
>>
>>83277138
>kingdom come
>dark
nah m8
>>
>>83277205
Kingdom Come had a happy ending, but it was pretty dark with a lot of deaths.
>>
>>83275149
>“I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it,”

Nigger, the original 30's Batman stories were dark as fuck. Dude carried guns and fucking killed people ffs
>>
>>83277111
>Then try and lighten up a bit more, today is a good day.
But I am, that's what I was saying, silly.
>>
>>83277205
edgelord detected
>>
As Moore complains comics are too grimdark and edgy, he's still asspained at Morrison, who's Batman run was had a great mix of camp and grimness. Moore is just a pissy old man.
>>
>>83277177
holy shit that is awful.

I guess Moore's insistence that superheroes never be anything other than jokey cartoon characters is because he's embarrassed of all the garbage he wrote.
>>
Man, those DC shills sure like to create threads about Alan Moore.
>>
>>83277182
The Joker is not a sexual creature.

In any event, regardless of whether he penetrated her, or Jim for that matter, the whole stripping them naked was done for humiliation purposes only.

Also, it here was any rape involved, it's hard to believe that it wouldn't have been mentioned somewhere down the road.
>>
File: 1458663789174.jpg (43 KB, 319x310) Image search: [Google]
1458663789174.jpg
43 KB, 319x310
>>83277240
I know you said you were, I was just saying try to be a bit more lit up.
However, as long as we're both in good spirits, it's all good anon. You enjoy yourself now.
>>
>>83277285
You too, pal. Hope you have a nice day.
>>
File: kingdomcome4pg30.jpg (131 KB, 666x1024) Image search: [Google]
kingdomcome4pg30.jpg
131 KB, 666x1024
>>83277205
It's kind of what i'm saying, death and travesty don't necessarily make the story "dark" as a whole

>>83277177
I'm going to quote an anon from another thread
>you can't really tell how Moore's stuff will turn out until you're done with it.
For example if you heard the proposal for Miracle Man without reading it you'd think it was utter nonsense.
>Come the product it's certainly still jarring but not completely incomprehensible in how it goes from premise to conclusion.

If it was meant as a dark conclusion, then that's how it is. It's not a story to be supposedly continued. If the story actually ended up published i don't think Moore would've liked if people started making normal Billy a sexual deviant

>>83277254
>I guess Moore's insistence that superheroes never be anything other than jokey cartoon characters is because he's embarrassed of all the garbage he wrote.
Context
>>
>>83277092
When it comes to movies, he just doesn't want to have people duped by seeing his name and thinking he either approved the adaptation (which is something he has no say over), or worse that he was actively involved in it to some extent. The movies are not his work, so it makes sense, I think.

And with Marvelman, well, he'd said years ago that if he had known the character was in legal limbo and Mick Anglo wasn't receiving any money from it, he wouldn't have done it. So now that they're reprinting it he had his name taken off it and asked that his share of the money be given to Anglo's family. So that was more out of principles
>>
A reminder.
>>
Can we have a list of the works Alan Moore has done that he's now personally ashamed of? Or would listing the works he is personally proud of make for a shorter list?
>>
>>83277331
>
While he is musing over the pros and cons of this Hunter delivers the last part of his message from the future Constantine, which he has been instructed not to give to the younger Constantine until after he has warned as many people as he can. Surprised, Constantine reads what may turn out to be the ultimate "Dear John" letter. Written by his future self, the letter apologizes for using his younger self so cynically, but assures
John the younger that it's all for the best. The older Constantine having the advantage of hindsight, can remember everything that happened to his younger self, including meeting with Rip Hunter, getting told a terrible story and then launching on a mission to warn everybody affected of what waited in their future and how they might avert it. The elder Constantine can even remember how that all worked out: The world of Twilight came about anyway, often because of people's actions in response to his warning. He can even remember getting a letter handed to him, exactly the same as this one. He muses briefly over the paradox of who really wrote the letter originally before apologizing to his younger self again and consoling him with the fact that a wonderful woman is waiting in his near future, and that she will be worth everything.
>>
>>83277516
This sounded like an amazing ending, desu. And also potentially avoids all the dark shit from the future, so the edgy shit in it was more like Injustice, or something, "something that could happen" but not really canon or the new status quo.
>>
>>83277543
>I hope this makes it comprehensible how I hope to solve the problem of writers/artists who don't really want to involve themselves in the storyline: even if they choose to have their characters remain oblivious to everything going on, or to ignore it, their actions are having an implied relevance upon what is going on in the crossover book while at the same time what happens in the crossover book down the line in the future will be seen as having a direct relevance to how those characters are perceived in their own books. Knowing the fate of characters in even a potential future lends them a sort of poignance which is very important and which I'll take a few moments to discuss.

>The reasons this all came up in the Dark Knight intro was that I felt that Frank had managed to fulfill that requirement in terms of Superman and Batman, giving us an image which, while perhaps not of their actual deaths, showed up how they were at their endings, in their final years. Whether this story will actually ever happen in terms of "real" continuity is irrelevant: by providing a fitting and affective capstone to the Batman
legend it makes it just that... a legend rather than an endlessly meandering continuity. It does no damage to the current stories of Batman in the present, and indeed it does the opposite by lending them a certain weight and power by implication and association--every minor shift of attitude in the current Bruce Wayne's approach to life that might be seen in Batman or Detective over the next few years, whether intentionally or not, will provide twinges of excitement for the fans who can perceive their contemporary Batman inching ever closer to the intense and immortal giant portrayed in the Dark Knight chronicles.
>>
>Alan "Smithee" Moore
>>
>>83275570
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>83277251

>he's still asspained at Morrison, who's Batman run was had a great mix of camp and grimness. Moore is just a pissy old man.

Morrison's run was full of edgy, what with gore and rape.
>>
He should have stayed at 2000ad and finished Halo Jones.
>>
>>83277495
>/co/, infamous for ostentatiously going to great lengths to drum up how revolutionary any "new and different" foreign or indie shit title released is compared to the big 2's usual fair, does a 180 in the same breath and lambastes a writer who was attempted to make such efforts a possibility in cape work only for those after him to turn it into more coal to be churned. Which later becomes defended by /co/ as undeserving of Moore's ridicule.
I'm honestly not sure who's fucking with who at this point.
>inb4 it's not the same group
It's one sick individual suffering from DID is what it is
>>
>>83277747
But it was metacommentary anon! It wasn't edgyness for edgyness sake!
>>
>>83277747
It was campy too though.
>>
>>83277331
The entire point of Twilight was that capes are stupid. As was the point of Watchmen and Whttmot.

The moral that super heroes are a bad idea was a major theme
>>
File: 1404897329543.jpg (70 KB, 386x580) Image search: [Google]
1404897329543.jpg
70 KB, 386x580
>>83275149

I have a feeling that while Alan Moore is a grumpy motherfucker, he's not actually near as grumpy as he's made out to be. I blame journalists who can't come up with anything to write, so they wheel out Moore, ask "how about that thing you don't like", yank his cord and record whatever he says for yet another "Breaking News: Alan Moore does not enjoy Thing"
>>
>>83275149
TKJ is nowhere near as good as TDKR or Year one
Miller wins again
>>
File: 4Nieg9z.jpg (25 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
4Nieg9z.jpg
25 KB, 498x412
>>83276478
It's adorable how delusional your inflated self worth is :3
>>
>>83277926
he's a pretty cool guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wg4f_XAYA

he also has a rather sardonic humor which doesn't translate well to text
>>
>>83277862
And let me guess, the point of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was that Moore hates Superman? Come on, anon
>>
>>83275539
>going full stormfront regarding muslims
all he fucking did was make a self-admitted propaganda comic. who the fuck has the balls to admit their comics are propaganda BUT Miller nowadays?

did the cuck who made skull shout Trump's speeches admit to it? did whoever made boarder patrol NAZIS admit to it? did the writer for whor admit to it?

say what you will about miller, but he at least writes what he wants to & seems to have fun with it. moore, on the other hand, always feels the need to put his anarchistic views in just about everything he comes up with
>>
>>83275149
>Alan Moore refuses to take his own well earned money out of a misguided principle, again! Read all about it!
>>
>>83275639
Moore's right on one issue. killing joke sucks

what good is an origin story if you don't have a damned origin

it's like writing a comic about the death of a superhero, but leaving out the part where they die
>>
>>83277993
It ended with Clark himself saying he was an egotist to think the world needed him and saying turns out the world didnt need Superman at all.
>>
>>83275704
yeah, sucks that Dark Knight Returns proved that comics CAN be dark & brooding without the horrible
>>
>>83275835
he hates everything to do with organized government
>>
File: pippi-1.jpg (24 KB, 532x222) Image search: [Google]
pippi-1.jpg
24 KB, 532x222
>>83275149
It's so odd when writers/artists/musicians/etc. denounce past works.
The work is good, solid entertaining storytelling - it's just that Moore has grown since then and is embarrassed by his early work - as we all are embarrassed when we look back to our less enlightened times.

It does help keep us humble though, knowing that what we find cool today, we may find silly tomorrow. This doesn't mean we should stop creating out of fear that we'll be embarrassed later, if so, nothing would ever be made.

Enjoy life, don't grow bitter.
Hugs Anon.
>>
>>83277926
This.

Moore has a prickly personality, and journalists know it, so they know they can always get a rise out of him and get some good quotes.

Like they always, always ask him about Morrison, knowing exactly how he feels about the man, and knowing that Moore will say something biting.

They're just trolling Moore at this point.
>>
>>83278037
>I don't recognize integrity because I don't have any
>>
>>83278042
What the fuck are you talking about? Joker's a failed stand-up comedian, becomes a criminal, falls into a vat of chemicals, becomes the Joker. What more do you need?
>>
>>83278196
TKJ explicitly says this isn't his set origin. The Joker can't quite remember who he was or how he became what he is.
>>
>>83275149
>the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself
What a guy.
>>
I wish this hipster Moore backlash would end. He's a genius, and he's write about every damn thing. /co/ would agree with everything he says if his name weren't attached, but because it's seen as cool to be contrarian if Moore's name is there /co/ has to pretend he's said something shocking or wrong.

I, and many, many other still love and respect you, Mr. Moore. Hopefully one day modern comics will stop picking over the corpses of your past work and do something new.
>>
>>83276502
in TKJ, Joker tries and fails to drive commissioner Gordon insane

in DKR, Joker goes on a killing spree & succeeds in framing Batman for murder, starting the chain reaction that lead to Superman being called in to fight him
>>
>>83278241
You do have to admire how Moore puts his money where his mouth is. He's turned down quite a lot of money over the years on principle, and made sure it goes to the other creators.
>>
>>83277976
Nice to hear about his opinion of Wagner and Mills, especially that story about the Blind Ballerina.
>>
>>83276755
let's be real here. silver age batman could do both because of how goddamned batshit it was

what with batman finding out his villains are teaming up because a shark with TNT attacked him, that's the batman he probably wants to write
>>
>>83278273
>common murdering vs psychological torture with extreme violence and scenery

if you people can't understand that TKJ is way darker and edgier I really don't know what to say
>>
>>83278277
Didn't he ask that all the money for Miracleman go to Mick Anglo's family?
>>
>>83278414
>psychological torture in an ultimately failed manipulation of one person
>going on a killing spree for the lulz in a SUCCEEDED manipulation of the public's eye, the government, and the soon-to-be FORMER allies of your enemy

yeah, I don't understand TKJ & how the Joker didn't succeed. you can say it's darker and edgier, but if that edge only nicks you it's fucking pathetic
>>
>>83278210
He just included that so if people wanted the previous Red Hood origin to be canon, they could still choose to believe so.
>>
>>83275253
He should change his name instead. Problems solvde
>>
File: reaction kotor droid.jpg (75 KB, 295x461) Image search: [Google]
reaction kotor droid.jpg
75 KB, 295x461
>>83275704
>Watchmen was designed to point out that comics SHOULDN'T be dark and brooding and horrible.
>>
Who else doesn't care for all this info on Moores thoughts on his previous works, specifically the superhero-y ones?

I never see any threads or posts about lets say the Bumper Book of Magic or Jerusalem which he's been working on for years now.
>>
>>83278712
When Moore decides to write "realistic" cape, he goes all the way
His idea of "real" superhero is that a guy in the cape is a weirdo
Other writers' idea of "real" superhero is that Superman would dismember his enemies instead of knocking them out in a wacky way

I think anon worded it poorly, it's not that Watchmen says comics shouldn't be dark, more that the magic of capes falls apart when you take them out of their confort zone
>>
>>83277926
This right here, it's like every single interview is about his thoughts on well known things like his previous glorified works or the decline of the comics superhero industry in the US.
>>
>>83275390
Alan Moore v. Alan Moore: Dawn of Campkino
>>
GOOBERGATE BTFO
>>
>>83278858
Can you imagine a guy in a cape as anything other than a weirdo?
>>
>>83275539
Yeah, at this point it does make more sense to attack Muslims.
>>
>>83277177
LOL

This sounds like a bad fanfic. What was he smoking? At least Billy paid the price for being a degenerate. That's what you get.
>>
>>83275149
>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke
The Original Writer does it again!
>>
>>83276355
>You realize that movie was thirteen years ago right?
So...? 13 years really isn't that long of a time.
>>
>>83279402
It is if you're only 13 years old
:^)
>>
>>83279423
Y'know, I bet that anon doesn't even remember 9/11.
>>
>>83276542
>not wanting free money
>>
>>83279456
At what cost?
>>
>A guy with sever depression/manic depressive episodes writes dark shit when he's going through a bad time and dislikes it later.
>People can't understand this.

Shit, it's like the ending of THGTTG.
>>
>>83279518
Just your dignity. I mean, the guy you're replying to probably has little to none, so it won't be that big of a price for him.
>>
>>83279402
Many posters on /co/ are literally children. The anon you're replying probably only knows the Nu52 and thinks its launch was ages ago.
>>
>>83278858
>Other writers' idea of "real" superhero is that Superman would dismember his enemies instead of knocking them out in a wacky way

Funnily enough they're also aping Moore with this approach, since that's what his Miracleman/Marvelman run was all about: what someone with Superman-level powers would be like in reality.
>>
File: 1464293739642.jpg (178 KB, 531x316) Image search: [Google]
1464293739642.jpg
178 KB, 531x316
>>83280093
Miracle Man was the pre Dr. Manhattan, where Moore explores the idea that superpowers could detatch a person from humanity the people aping him understand "superheroes should use powers in COOL ways! And with cool i mean lotsa blood"

See: Zack Snyder all the unecessary gore he added in the Watchmen action scenes
>>
>>83275149
The Art is the only thing good about it. Moore is right.
>>
>>83275704
No
Moore was just in a bad mood (or basically what he said...that comics copied stuff he was doing when he in a bad mood 30 years ago)
>>
>>83275149
It's was pretty good. The rape scene was a bit much though.
>>
>>83275704

No it wasn't. You don't know your goddamn comics history at all.
>>
>>83275149
I care what Alan Moore has to say.
- Nobody
>>
>>83280069
>The anon you're replying probably only knows the Nu52 and thinks its launch was ages ago.
That's a terrifying thought.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.