[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone find it odd that Rebirth seems to have the exact opposite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: rebirth.png (614 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
rebirth.png
614 KB, 630x420
Anyone find it odd that Rebirth seems to have the exact opposite message of Infinite Crisis? That entire event was about the old guard who wanted everything to be the way it was being the BAD GUYS. But now Johns is pulling the same tainted earth stuff he decried ten years ago?

He sold this as hope but we he gave is nostalgia.

Nostalgia is the opposite of hope.
>>
>>83192946
Nostalgia can be hopeful, in a "we've been there before and we can be there again" sort of way
>>
>>83192946
Eh. That's a weak argument; you're stripping both events of their context.

As much as IC rejected the regressive old guard, it embraced the history and the modern simultaneously and showcased the depth and variety of characters in DC's backlog, dusting off characters that hadn't been seen in decades. IC wiped out the changes from Zero Hour and most everything published by DC was made canon, to some degree.

The New 52 was Zero Hour on steroids. It burned entire franchises to the ground. Rebirth was a rejection of THAT. Like Barry said, how could we ever forget about them?
>>
>>83192946
The DCU is worse now than it was at the time of IC.

Also, IC's villains were weirdly complaining about DAROS, Death in the Family, Knightfall, and Emerald Twilight, not the present.
>>
>>83192946
>Billy on all these covers but literally in no ongoings or mentioned at all.
>lets launch a film for him.
>>
>>83193212
>The New 52 was Zero Hour on steroids. It burned entire franchises to the ground.

And yet you could argue that Zero Hour paved the way for the modern JSA reboot under Johns.

Even good things can come out of bad events.
>>
>>83194176
At the Rebirth Q&A a couple months back Shazam, New Gods, and LOSH were name dropped in things to be announced later but who knows when that's coming especially since Johns isn't writing anything anymore
>>
>>83192946
>Nostalgia is the opposite of hope.

What the fuck is this shit, makes no sense
>>
>>83192946

Despair is the opposite of hope, you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>83194408
I'm feeling hopeful about the future of DC for the first time in years. If what ends up coming from this is good, then maybe The New 52 was a neccessary evil.
>>
>>83193212
Well yeah the celebration part I get, but building that premise on FUCK THOSE COMICS THEY WERE CORRUOTED BY BLUE DICK is defensive and a bit insulting.

Even with stuff like IC, Green Lantern Rebirth or Morrison Bats, they added in a bunch of new and old lore but didnt feel the need to shit on anything.

It strikes really self conscious especially when

1. Johns himself was a guiding figure in the New 52, and wrote stuff like most of his JL run

2. Hes directly shitting on a lot of good books.

Its also kinda fucked how Rebirth seems to be built as the total opposite of DC You, instead of doing a bunch of cool books with lesser known characters and bot being obsessed with tying everything together, you are doubling down on continuity, narrowing your output to a listers and basically saying instead of trying to expand your base we need to pander to the old fanboys.

It just seems in Rebirth Johns has become the steorotype of what people THINK he is instead of classic "Get to the point, make it a line."man.
>>
>>83194408
Starman? Is the arguement Starman?
>>
>>83193212
>The New 52 was Zero Hour on steroids. It burned entire franchises to the ground.

I tend to agree with this. It's looking to be a clusterfuck of an event, but that's because the situation it's fixing is a clusterfuck.

>Rebirth was a rejection of THAT. Like Barry said, how could we ever forget about them?

And this. It's not rejecting the grimdark for nostalgia, it's embracing the history and reverting an asspull that did away with 50 years worth of stories of hope and love just to play out tired soap opera dramatics.
>>
>>83192946
>He sold this as hope but we he gave is nostalgia.

Comics Alliance pls
>>
>>83194421
>>83194463
He probably means that nostalgia is fetishizing of the past, rather than looking forward to the future, a la hope.
>>
>>83194604

For the most part yeah, I don't think JSA would've gotten the go-ahead if Starman hadn't been so well-recieved in the first place, but several of the dead JSA members from Zero Hour end up getting major arcs that deal with their legacies. Fuck, there was a big one that involved all three Hourman deciding who would die to Extant to keep the timestream intact.
>>
File: 1392324054693.gif (3 MB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
1392324054693.gif
3 MB, 350x200
>>83194679
>Comics Alliance pls

I knew I shouldn't have, but I took a brief look at their roundtable discussion of Rebirth.

>"Rebirth was made for comic readers like me... and I didn't want it"
>>
>>83194409
Yeah, Johns isn't going to let anyone else write it so it's 100% on him. So we're probably not going to get it anytime soon.

I'd at least like him in JSA or another team book.
>>
>>83195597

There are very few writers working for DC right now that I'd trust anywhere close to the classic JSA.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.