[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /ck/ I'd like a 12 inch copper pan, can you point me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: coppercore.png (129 KB, 1395x497) Image search: [Google]
coppercore.png
129 KB, 1395x497
So /ck/ I'd like a 12 inch copper pan, can you point me to a decent one? Not too terribly worried about the money, I plan on saving for it anyway, just want a good quality one that'll last me forever.

Honestly I would just buy an all-clad since I love their other pans BUT, I fucking despise their handles. And if I'm gonna spend 200 bucks on a pan, I want it to be perfect.

So, recommendations?
>>
>paying $200 for a pan

I love how for every item there is to buy there's some meme range for the autists to splurge their money on. These companies aren't stupid.
>>
>>7625473
Yeah I expected this but the thing is I don't care about paying 200 bucks if it's going to last me like 40 years or the rest of my life. I'm just a home chef so it's not like I'm going to beat it the fuck up. that's like 5 bucks or less per year.

Like I said, I'm not worried about the money, I don't know why you care about what I do with it. I just want a good, tough, quality pan.
>>
What are you using it for? You can get a good 12 inch aluminum pan for 200 bucks (check out demeyere proline), but copper is going to be a tricky proposition.

For new copper, stainless lined, you're looking at <2mm thickness at that kind of budget. That may be ok depending on what you're trying to do, and the diameter of your burner ring, but it's less than ideal. For eggs, it would be fine. For big pieces of meat, it's iffy. If your burner is small, it's iffy (2mm would be fine, 1.5mm like the Mauviel 150c is enough of a stretch where it almost defeats the point of copper).

You can probably hit that budget on a used or vintage copper pan, especially if you look at tin lined, but that's a much more niche product, and you'll need to consider the cost of retinning. I'll leave it to you to figure out if tinned is going to be a plus or a minus (I prefer tin wiped interior for saucepans, but for fry pans and saute pans, I prefer stainless lining)

Even a used top-end stainless lined 2mm+ copper pan at 12" diameter could easily exceed $200 unless you get lucky.
>>
>>7625491
thanks for the info I'll look into that. my burner is pretty small, not tiny but small. what copper pan do you use? any brands to look for?
>>
>>7625592
If I'm shopping with other people's money? New? I'd probably go with falk for the workhorses and a mix of duparquet and soy turkiye for the niche stuff.

My own money? Certain used brands on ebay, I'm afraid I don't wish to give away my tricks as I'm still building my collection, but if you are observant you will notice some pans are overvalued on the used market, and some are undervalued. I look out for something and I grab it. You'll figure it out if you devote enough attention to it. Or you can just throw money at it too, if getting a good deal isn't your thing.
>>
>>7625623
so do you think the copper core all-clad is an okay choice for me or not, having small-ish burners and what not
>>
>>7625480
An aluminum clad pan would be cheaper and likely last longer because aluminum is more stable than copper.
>>
>>7625776
Okay is the operative word here, you're kind of getting into high end pan territory, where there are some very good choices.

A lot of people will give you shit for calling it a copper pan, since it's got such a thin layer of copper.

The century life guy tested it and said it's on par with other midrange All Clad pans.

To me it seems kind of crazy to spend nearly $200 on a pan like that, I'd rather either save some money and get MC2, or get real copper. Or both, like you could pretty much pick up a Baumalu skillet and an MC2 irregular, get the Baumalu stripped and retinned (since the factory tin is shitty electroplate), and you'd still come out ahead, and now you have "real copper" plus a very good general purpose skillet.

But hey that's just me.
>>
>>7625480

don't listen to the poorfags

there's a reason why professional chefs use all-clad and mauviel and the likes
>>
Why don't you like the All-Clad handles? Personally I think they're great. I have the 10pc MC2 set, nicest gift I've ever received. Love it.
>>
>>7625812
Don't get me wrong I love the pans and use them every day. I only have one small teflon one now just for shit like pancakes.

But that handle is so fucking uncomfortable to me, it's thin and it doesn't sit in my hand right at all. since it's so skinny I have to hold on to both handles if something heavy is in the pan, because if I hold it with just the long handle, it'll turn upside down. I actually googled it recently and they've put out a line with different handles because lots of people feel the same way. I was glad to feel validated about that. Literally the only thing I don't like about the pan.
>>
>>7625830
ooooh yeah i have noticed that too now that you mention it. not even mad, i still love the pans
>>
>>7625836
Yeah I don't ever plan on replacing them. Mine were gifts too except for my 8 inch which I got an open-box deal on. But a 12 inch is kind of essential to me, since it's what I use the most. (or DID use when I had shitty pans)

And if I'm going to be shelling out 200ish bucks, I just want it to be perfect and I want to like everything about it.
>>
tramontina or cuisinart are 90% of an All clad at 1/5 the price. mine are fucking amazing
>>
File: dealwithit.jpg (832 KB, 2200x1628) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.jpg
832 KB, 2200x1628
>current year
>anything other than French copper
shiggy
>>
>>7625473
>it's not enough that I'm poor, I have to tell lies on an anonymous cooking board to make myself feel better

You're pathetic. Go get a job you loser
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.