[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I cook fried rice without a wok? Do I really need day-old rice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: ddddd.jpg (116 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
ddddd.jpg
116 KB, 900x1200
How do I cook fried rice without a wok? Do I really need day-old rice?
>>
File: bowls.jpg (230 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
bowls.jpg
230 KB, 2000x2000
You don't need a wok, just use stainless steel bowls and some sort of protective glove.

Day old rice (stored in the fridge uncovered) is much better because it gets really dry, so (a) it doesn't explode when you throw it in oil and (b) it gets above the boiling point of water easily
>>
>>7620636
Large surface area=good
You dont need day old rice, you need a large surface area for the rice to quickly cook at high temperatures. Do small batches of rice in one spoon of oil and coat each rice grain with oil, then put it in a bowl and repeat.

Once all the rice is coated in oil, crank up the heat and let it fry, this will allow you to achieve that delicious chinese fried rice flavour. This is pretty much the secret to fried rice because I've been trying to make it taste good for years but recently discovered the main secret is to do it in small batches and let each grain of rice get coated in oil.
>>
>>7620656
>>7620655
I have an electric range. Am I fucked?
Is there any way to cook fried-rice or something similar in an oven?
>>
>>7620659
No, you're fine with an electric range
>>
>>7620656
Wait, as I fry the rice, or just before I add it?
>>
>>7620671
kitchen stoves aren't hot enough to do fried rice just like restaurants so they have to cheat and do it in batches. This results in a massively superior fried rice that tastes like the restaurants though.

Fry egg first take it out
Fry vegetables take it out
Fry rice take it out
Fry meat take it out
Put all together to fry at once at the end.

Use salt and a little liquid, you don't want liquids to soften up your fried rice so try to keep soy sauces and the others at a minimum.
>>
> boil rice
> let it cool down on a big plate, don't stack high
> cold rice is ready to fry
>>
>>7620674
>Not cooking the egga into the rice
Shaking my head
>>
Who is Asian here.you tell us how make good fried rice. You cook at home. You have stove like us.
>>
>>7620636
i found i needed sesame oil
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>7620760
>adding egg to the rice without 100000 BTUS
enjoy your wet eggy mess
>>
File: Wok-It.jpg (77 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
Wok-It.jpg
77 KB, 640x466
>>7620929

We generally don't make fried rice at home.

Or when we do we break out the gas burner.
>>
>>7620636
No, you just do it in a regular frying pan instead. Woks are only if you're frying a load of it at once.
>>
When and id you can buy a rice cooker...do, i know i will
>>
>>7620636
SAUCE
>>
>>7621492
I fell in love with her, too.
>>
Honestly just roll with it, it's savage but you can do it in a saucepan if you really wanted, just cover up your mistakes with soy sauce and only you will know
>>
I dump the hot fresh rice out of the rice cooker onto a sheet pan and spread it out exposing as much surface area as possible. Fan it or go easy mode and use electric fan to aid in evaporation of water. Place in fridge uncovered for as long as you can wait. Usually I do this in morning and by dinner time it's as good as day old
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.