[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ challenge - Round 7 (April 20th - April 26th)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 31
File: challenge2016.png (336 KB, 864x619) Image search: [Google]
challenge2016.png
336 KB, 864x619
7th round of the 5th Annual /ck/ Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge!

This is the first of the elimation rounds! If you are not part of the contestants still in the running, feel free to post along, however I will not be tallying the scores. But the more entries the better!
Here's the list of those who made the top 10!
Nack
Fantastic
dice
CookingRei
Yellowmug
Studentfag
asdf
Longship
Borneo
Eyepatch

Reminder :
-Please timestamp your submission! Detailing the cooking process/posting a vertical is encouraged but not required. If posting multiple photos, you don't need to timestamp each one, as long as the final submission photo is timestamped.
-You MUST use a unique identifier; if you don't want to use a tripcode, you must have some other way to distinguish yourself from the other contestants, such as a cute bird or scary statue in your timestamped entry, as long as it's clearly visible and you use it consistently.

Voting will be carried out in this thread. Please read the voting guidelines below.
>>
VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of /ck/, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in Appeal.

For additional info and to see submissions from Previous years, check out the Challenge blog. (http://ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)

Copypasta Scoring Format for Lazymodo

Presentation: /5
Originality: /5
Appeal: /5
Challenge Goals: /5
Total: /20
>>
Forgot my name.. go me.

The theme of Round Seven is...

No heat allowed!

Raw, frozen, fermented, cold smoked, cooked in acid... I don't care, but no no heat source allowed this round! Good luck!. While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" because that is what people will be voting on.

Two contestants will not be moving on to the next round. This is also a prize round! Winner gets a surprise!
>>
File: rd6.jpg (105 KB, 957x248) Image search: [Google]
rd6.jpg
105 KB, 957x248
Scorecard.
>>
>>7592400
Can we make desserts?
>>
>>7592400
>No heat allowed
>tfw Bubble uses my round idea
>>
How to cold smoke without a heat source though?
>>
>>7592421
Sure, as lng as there is no heat used.

>>7592511
Yay! Glad it made it to you!
>>
File: ckbook.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
ckbook.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Guess what came in the mail today? My prize! A whole book on how to keep my man happy. Thanks a bunch BubbleBurst! I can't wait to try out some of these recipes.

Interesting theme...I'll have to think this one over....

(deleted post because i used the sideways picture and i figured it would offend someone...and it bothered me)
>>
>>7592522
....the internet won't let me win...
>>
>>7592522
noice
>>
>>7592522
the contest is over already?
>>
>>7592561
nah, that was a prize for the cookie round. still have a ways to go.
>>
>>7592561
There's less then last year, but there's a few round prizes along the way :-)
>>
>>7592571
there's round specific prizes?
>>
>>7592593
Yes. Not always announced in advance. But there's one for the winner of this round, for example.
>>
>>7592593
Forgot to add, this is why I was asking for people who wanted to sponsor prizes. I got less committed answers this year so fewer prizes. But still some prizes.
>>
>>7592595
>>7592602
neato, I thought prizes were only for the top 3
>>
>>7592607

i think the 'grand' prize normally goes to 1st place. someone this year is donating to the top 3 finalists.
>>
does using sun power count as "heat"
>>
>>7592633
considering its a fuck huge ball of fusion at more than 5000 degrees in space, yeah, I'd say it's heat.
>>
>>7592648
lol
>>
>inb4 half a dozen ceviches
>>
Bubbles, can we get a definition of "heat" for this round, as in a temperature range?
Maybe nothing above 70°F (21°C) which is considered room temperature?

Actual numbers would be nice.
>>
>>7592757
pretty sure that if you cook something, it's out.
>>
>>7592767

Heat is released in the process of fermentation, ceviche is considered a form of cooking fish, and a heat source is required to create smoke for cold smoking.

She said all three of those are acceptable, so it probably just means that if hot stuff isn't directly applied to the food it should be okay.

Sun drying is the only one I find iffy, but if you live somewhere that you can sun dry something in less than a week right now you should already consider yourself a winner.
>>
>>7592767

And what about pre-cooked foods you buy cold?
>>
>>7592782
>>7592784
valid points, we'll need to wait for bubble's confirmation
>>
>>7592794

She's laid out the rules. Pretty sure it's up to the autists voting to interpret them.
>>
>>7592782
Pretty much this.

>>7592784
You're like to get hit in the scoring if you just pour a bag of chips into a bowl and call it a day.
>>
>>7592841

Thinking more on the lines of pre-cooked frozen shrimp, or dehydrated noodles that were already cooked where all you need to do is reconstitute in cold water.
>>
>>7592861
personally, I'd be okay with that
>>
>>7592861
That becomes a judging point and up to the voters.
>>
Lately ITT: people who can not rawfood.
We should probably get back to the McDonalds threads instead.
>>
>>7592757
If you use any heating element, it's a 0/5 in challenge goals.
>>
>>7592981

Don't be a dumb shit. People are just looking for clarification. Bubble, bless her heart, said to not cook with heat but didn't really provide many specifications as to where the boundaries of "heat" lay. It's like saying, "Go from point X to point Y, but don't do that thing that will fuck you up because it will certainly fuck you up. Also, remember not to do that other thing either, because that will fuck you up too", without saying what those things were.
>>
Too bad I didn't enter this year. Everyone would be BTFO.
>>
File: téléchargement.jpg (9 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
9 KB, 211x239
>>7593002
care to explain how?
>>
>>7592981

>people who can not rawfood

Raw food is less complicated than cooked. You sound like a vegetarian who thinks you eat better because you don't eat meat while everyone else still eats all the same shit you do.
>>
>>7593013
>Raw food is less complicated than cooked
Wrong.
I'm not even a vegan/vegetarian or whatever, but making a balanced, tasty meal out of raw food is incredibly difficult.
>>
>>7593055

>balanced
>tasty

Too bad neither of those things really matter here. Most raw food looks like a little kid took out all the condiments in the fridge and decorated a plate with them.
>>
>>7593013
No, I'm just totaly perplexed with the confusion the 'no heat' challange caused. But you won todays prize for reading way to much that isn't there into a simple post. Have a fucking cookie.
>>
File: fedoraflash.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
fedoraflash.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>>7592994
>boundaries of "heat"
It means you're not allowed to cook with heat. As in, using heat in any way, shape of form to alter the state of the ingredients. You may change their properties chemically, but not by heating it with heating tools, letting it heat in the sun, letting someone else heat it, accidentally heating it and then cooling it back down again, setting it on fire, putting it in the sauna or any other method of heating. You may not heat the food at any stage.
She even gave examples of the kind of cooking techniques she had in mind, you raging aspie.
>>
>>7593134

Actually, Rei won today's prize...
>>
Fuck you guys and your faggot contest. Talk about fast food
>>
>>7593149

>tfw want to make a nice bean salad served at room temperature and get disqualified for storing it in the refrigerator and then letting it rest on the kitchen counter to come up to room temperature
>>
>>7593149

>fedora gif

Not even going to read, sorry.
>>
Dude if I wasn't a lazy cunt I would try and make that venison tartar like Marco Pierre White in that great British feast show. you guys should watch that by the way
>>
>>7593172
just did, looks pretty neat
>>
>>7593002
are you kidding me!?!?!
>>
File: Venison Tartare.png (268 KB, 583x283) Image search: [Google]
Venison Tartare.png
268 KB, 583x283
>>7593172

IT'S RAW!
>>
Top 10, shit's getting real.
>>
>>7593002
>>7593172

>if I wasn't a lazy cunt

That's really half of the challenge. You need to commit to coming up with something for the challenge every week, cook it before the deadline, and do it every week for multiple weeks on end.

For most people, doing that just to be judged by maybe a dozen 4chan anons is a pretty big commitment.
>>
>>7593352
Thanks for the update!
>>
>>7593633
The other half is doing it for yourself. If it weren't for being in this contest, I would never have pushed myself outside of my comfort zone and experimented with new foods and cooking techniques.
>>
>>7595172

Same as this. Learned a bunch of new techniques and terminology from just these last few weeks then I probably have in months.
>>
>>7595172
>>7595195
+1 to this

For this round, I'm trying fermentation, something I most likely would have never done otherwise.
>>
>>7592492

because the heat isn't applied to the ingredient?
>>
>>7595265
Me too. I wonder how many of us will end up creating the same dish...
>>
>>7595407

I'm thinking maybe one will do the same dish as me, but you never know. Different ingredients, different presentations. I'm only hoping if two of the same dishes get made that points are based on the individual submission instead of comparing one to the other.
>>
>>7593008
Because I'm a badass in the kitchen. Used to be pro, now just cook for friends and family.
I actually support having this contest, but watching everyone sperg out just makes me wish I'd have entered so I could take the piss out of everyone. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Come on, people, all this bitching and fighting over simple concepts? Please.....
>>
>>7595462

>I'm a badass in the kitchen. Used to be pro

Nice blog. I'm sure you put everyone in their place.

You can still submit an entry for any of the remaining rounds and prove it.
>>
>>7595476
I may just do that if I have time. You don't know what you're asking for, m8. Also, a few sentences don't make a blog, but nice deflection. Also, there's no putting anyone in their place here, everyone's an ass, including you and me, so feck off.
>>
>>7592395
Everytime i see the thumbnail, they look like a bunch of nooses too me
>>
>>7595490
I always think so too. So appropriate.
>>
>>7595453
Scared you can't keep up with me baby? ;)

Feeling like yours will be compared to mine and get absolutely obliterated? ;)

All in good time baby..
>>
>>7595265
Wish I had more time for this round. I woulda busted out my duck prosciutto recipe.
>>
>>7595582

I had a few initial ideas before realizing there wasn't going to be enough time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fermented dishes.
>>
>>7595606
My plan is to make some fermented pickles and veg then blend them together into a paste and spread it over crackers with cracked black pepper and pink salt
>>
>>7595265
i'm just trying to figure out how to create a proper icecream without freezing a hot-made custard
>>
>>7596019
With milk...
>>
My cabbage is going in the jar tonight, hopefully it'll be done by sunday.
Does anyone have experience with making kimchi?
>>
bumparoo
>>
>>7595582
Duck breast prosciutto is the bomb.
Last try ended poorly as they were tiny tits; cure went in way too far.
But here's a tip: use nylons when drying.
Cheaper than muslims/cheesecloth. And the breasts kind of fit nicely in the legs, as I'm sure your internet boyfriend tells you that you do.
>>7596019
I'm not voting, but I would consider an ambient temperature steep acceptable. Been pretty warm where I am.
>>7593172
>venison
>tartar
Nope. Just no.
Carpaccio? Sure.
"Whatever I have on hand that may sound exotic" tartar, No. Gross.
>>
>>7597487

>Nope. Just no.
>Carpaccio? Sure.
>"Whatever I have on hand that may sound exotic" tartar, No. Gross.

well that's completely arbitrary
>>
>>7597517
Okay, you may have access to veal tenderloin.
Still, it sounds meh.
>>
>>7596385
Fermentation produces heat, 0/5 challenge goals
>>
>>7597521

i just don't understand what your fundamental problem is with non-beef tartares and why carpaccio is somehow better
>>
>>7597618
>baiting this hard
>>
>>7597487
How are nylons cheaper than muslin and cheesecloth? I've never seen that to be the case. Where do you get your nylons?
>>
>>7598230

He's probably imagining her curing a duck breast in a heavily used pair of nylons for the extra flavor, or maybe using a new pair and then walking around with legs that smell like cured duck.
>>
>>7592492
You could do one of two things, first you could you a smoker that is not used to cook it. For example, those spray smokers seen on television. They make blowers as well, that route the smoke but don't cook it. Or maybe liquid smoke?
>>
>>7598359
>For example, those spray smokers seen on television. They make blowers as well, that route the smoke but don't cook it.

Those contain a heat source used to generate the smoke. Either you light the wood chips with a lighter/torch/etc like smoking a pipe, or the device contains a built-in heating element (electric).

>>liquid smoke
That would work.
>>
>>7596385
I'm making kimchi too, anon, never done it before either. I'm using it as part of a dish rather than the main focus. I knew someone'd make the same dish as me!
>>
>>7598428
Good luck with yours!

Any tips on keeping the vegetables submerged? The daikon keeps trying to get out in mine.
>>
>>7598484
Use a jar and fill the jar completely.
>>
>>7598489
Sadly I don't have a jar the right size...
>>
>>7598500

Not the person you're responding to, but the few times I've made sauerkraut I used a plate with some weight on top of it to keep everything submerged.
>>
Anyone confused by the round theme?

Technically cold is just the absence of heat right? So technically everything uses heat. Now, I know obviously there's no way to literally say NO HEAT, because that's physically not possible, but the question is how much heat are we allowed to actually use?
>>
>>7599235

The challenge goal has already been sufficiently clarified above.

Why don't you say what you're thinking of doing if you're still not sure whether or not it will count?
>>
>>7597731
He's not wrong.
>>
>>7599235
just don't use heat to warm up/cook the food in the process

holy fucking shit people it's not that hard to understand
>>
File: Capture.jpg (43 KB, 654x348) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
43 KB, 654x348
>>7598230
>How are nylons cheaper than muslin and cheesecloth?
I've been using one single "sock" for about 3 years. Cost less than a dollar.
>>
>>7599662

But are they food grade?
>>
>>7599665

Those are usually made out of some kind of fruit rubber. No good for curing meat.
>>
Reminder that having a food cookoff without being able to taste the food is stupid
>>
>>7599710

Recipes get posted. Cook them yourself if you're curious and stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>7599714
Because that's totally how it tastes when the original person made it
>>
>>7599721

You obviously don't know how to cook OR taste, so I'll forgive you this time. Just don't let it happen again. Now off with you.
>>
File: IMG_2044.jpg (681 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2044.jpg
681 KB, 1536x2048
Teaser time!
Gonna let this go for one more day.
>>
>>7599878
Looks interesting, anon!
>>
I always thought fermentation took way more than a week.
Can't wait for the verticals. (And cooking stuff myself later.)

This goal would be interesting in a longer round, to leave time for longer curing methods (and/or preparation).
If someone ever do a monthly/seasonal challenge, I vote to have [no direct heat above somewhere between room temperature and human body temperature] again.
>>
>>7600089

Unfortunatly the challenge is only a week long each round. Most people are going to get out of this is a "quick" pickle; kind of an oxymoron since there's no suck thing as a quick pickle--they need time to get happy--but there you go.
>>
>>7600111

"Quick pickle" is a thing, and implies there's no fermentation.

A small batch of kimchi only takes 3-4 days to start fermenting, so is entirely doable.
>>
>>7599665
Right? Sure they are. Or not.
There is an item that was/is on the market that has a fine micron... just a second here...
>>7599671 STFU
back... not unlike nylons, but they were/are charging way too much for what it is.
I think it was on egullet or some other board where the conversation was, but someone suggested buying painter's bags from a painting supply store. These are bags that get tied around the intake of a paint sprayer. The intake gets put into a large bucket of paint (the sprayer lines clog easily and can't have any large particles run through them).
These are cheap as hell, but are almost for sure not made of plastics that are NOT meant to process food.
Nylons are cheaper, and I'm not too worried about passing food products through them.
We're living in a time where plastics are in everything we eat, whether it is a bad thing or not. I mean, I worked at a high end restaurant that built it's tuna tartare using a piece of PVC from a hardware store. Pretty shitty, offensive, and grossly irresponsible, but isn't tuna? And re-using any plastic that is meant for a one time use (drink bottles, etc) is possibly just as bad.
>>
>>7599878

looks like a do chua (vietnamese pickled condiment). those typically only need an hour to quick brine. if pickled longer it brings a higher richness to it. looking forward to what you plan on doing with it.
>>
>>7600586
>not made of plastics that are NOT meant to process food.
meh, you know what I meant
>>
>>7600586

>tuna tartare using a piece of PCV from a hardware store

Think I need to hear the story on this.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (48 KB, 723x426) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
48 KB, 723x426
>>7599662
But you can get nine square feet for roughly the same price (There's actually a sale on right now for 27 square feet for ~$4). And you can re-use them just the same.
>>
File: 20160423_092034.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160423_092034.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Seabass, Asian pear, grapefruit, cured mint egg yolks
>>
File: Capture.jpg (315 KB, 1000x1150) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
315 KB, 1000x1150
>>7600757
>>
I'm afraid im gonna have to pull out of the competition. I have no free time at all this week or next week, haven't even slept in my own bed in days. Was a pleasure guys!

>>7600757
how's the mint yolks?

>>7597487
interesting idea, i use rope though. got a big spool from when i was making dried persimmons.
>>
>>7600913
Minty! They're quite thick and gooey and they add a lot of richness, almost like crab roe.

It's too bad to see you go. I really liked your cookie entry particularly.
>>
>>7600757
Looks really interesting anon! The presentation had me worried but reading the vertical really made me wanna try it.
>>
>>7600757

This is one I'd definitely have to taste before being able to make up my mind about what I think of it.
>>
File: double gazpacho.jpg (3 MB, 4000x2992) Image search: [Google]
double gazpacho.jpg
3 MB, 4000x2992
Hi guys, for this round I made two different kinds of gazpacho, aka Spanish cold soup. The red one is the classic version we all know with tomatoes and red pepper, while the green one is a little more unorthodox, and mainly consists of avocado, cucumber and green pepper.

I hope you will give this one a go, a very simple yet delicious starter. Especially nice with this current trend of sunny weather.
>>
File: gazpacho vertical.jpg (2 MB, 1000x2500) Image search: [Google]
gazpacho vertical.jpg
2 MB, 1000x2500
>>7601946
and here's the vertical
>>
>>7601946

It's not the most inspired dish, but the plating is clean, and serving something cold and refreshing when it's sunny out was a good idea. I'd eat both of those right now.

Next time try putting the slate thing you serve it on in the freezer for 30 minutes before hand.
>>
>>7601946
Nicely done presentation, anon!
>>
>>7600757
Seems like you have a bunch of interesting and creative elements, but you just kind of tossed them on the plate together in a pile.

I'm not really sure how the flavours would work together either. Nevertheless, it's ballsy and interesting at least
>>
File: Caprese.jpg (683 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
Caprese.jpg
683 KB, 1984x1488
Cold Smoked Goat Cheese Caprese. The tomato and goat cheese were both cold smoked over apple wood and basil stems. It’s resting on a bed of baby greens dressed in homemade balsamic vinaigrette, surrounded by a ring of homemade hummus, with marinated artichoke hearts and Kalamata olives. For garnish there’s a three onion “ceviche” and quick pickled cucumber ribbons.
>>
File: Caprese Vertical.png (3 MB, 1000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Caprese Vertical.png
3 MB, 1000x3000
>>7602689

Vertical.
>>
>>7602689
Presentation: 2/5
Originality: 1/5
Appeal: 1/5
Challenge Goals: 2/5
Total: 6/20
>>
>>7602689
some veg thrown on a wrap, nice

presentation: 2/5
originality: 0/5
appeal: 1/5
challenge goals: 3/5 (you managed 1 out of the 4)
total: 6/20
>>
>>7602696
clearly from this picture you used heat

Presentation: 1/5
Challenge Goals: 0/5
Total: 3/20
>>
>>7600760

>let sit for at least an hour to marinate before serving

I'm a little confused about this.

Is it just the grapefruit juice that it's marinating in, or did you add an additional liquid you forgot to mention? Serious question. I'm just not really sure what letting it sit for an hour would really do when it's layered like that, as opposed to tossed all together.
>>
>>7600757

Originality: 4/5
Challenge Goals: 4/5
Total: 11/20

It's interesting, and I'm going to try curing egg yolks soon after seeing this, but it really doesn't look or sound very appealing.

>>7601946

Presentation: 3/5
Originality: 2/5
Appeal: 4/5

The presentation is nicely done, if simple. There's nothing really original about it, and the low challenge goals score was for doing nothing other than cutting/blending raw ingredients. Still a classic dish I'll never say no to.

>>7602689

Presentation: 4/5
Appeal: 3/5
Challenge Goals: 5/5
Total: 16/20

Too much going on. It's nice to see a plate for once, but you could have picked out nicer looking pieces of basil. I doubt adding a few basil stems to the smoke actually did anything, but it's a novel idea.
>>
>>7603481

I thought you said you were going to post an original picture of your identifier when you vote for yourself, Yellowmug, so as to let us know who you are.
>>
>>7600668
You can't re-use it though. Does not contain any elastic/shape retaining properties.
Like I said, been using the same sock for over 3 years.
Just rinse it out in the sink and into the washing machine.
That's my opinion, and it's not going to change. Take it or leave it.
>>
>>7603600

Different anon, but I've been using paint bags (no clue what they're actually for) to do brew in a bag home beer brewing (for steeping malts to make wort) for a few years now.

I guess I'll buy some nylons and try those next time to see if they hold up and can be reused.
>>
>>7603402
The idea is for the pear to soak in the grapefruit and let the bottom of the mackerel cook a little.
>>
>>7602689
That looks good, fuck. You're improving without a doubt.
>>
>>7603288
Cold smoking was explicitly stated in the theme description. This is a cold smoking technique (the ice cools the smoke)
>>
>>7602689
Challenge Goals: 1/5
Total: 5/20
>>
>>7602923
>>7602984
>>7603288
>>7603511
>>7604137
>>7604138

Whats up with all the unappropriate hate.

Why are you so negative about people who try their best and show some diligence for this contest?

This year really suffers from all this trolling. It really spoils the contest.
>>
>>7604170
As far as I can tell it's mostly 1 guy getting his rocks off on trolling the contest. But agreed, it's annoying, and kinda sad.
>>
>>7604170

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=haters+gonna+hate
>>
File: straburry1.jpg (87 KB, 500x685) Image search: [Google]
straburry1.jpg
87 KB, 500x685
I HATED this round! I don't really do raw food (i'm from the south, we cook everything!) anyways, i was planning on doing some vegetable spaghetti with sauce and whatnot, then I realized, i probably wouldn't like it...as weekend drew near, i decided "fuck it, i'm gonna get a low score, but i'm going to make some basic ass bitch dessert that i'll at least actually enjoy." so here we are:

No-bake cheesecake filled strawberries with a fresh strawberry daiquiri sorbet

Makes me wish I could've gone to the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival this year... anyways im not pleased with the presentation, but I'm so done with this round.... i'm going get tipsy off sorbet and play animal crossing....

i'll post vertical either later tonight or tomorrow...where are my pjs? i'm done with this whole day!
>>
>>7605590
Awww, I'm sorry. Ok, not sorry sorry, but a tiny bit sorry?
>>
>>7605598
haha, no need to pretend to be sorry! i think every year i've done this there's been THAT challenge, and i'm sure most of the other people in the competition have a THAT challenge moment. I'm just tipsy enough to go on a minirant...

i never really like doing desserts for nondessert rounds, so.....meh....
>>
>>7605590
Man that daiquiri does look good. Not a fan of cheesecake stuff but it def does look refreshing enough to have on a weekend evening. Good job anon.
>>
This certainly was a tasty round.

I made some Gỏi cuốn (spring rolls) with a homemade peanut sauce and Đồ Chua (pickled carrot and daikon) micro salad. The meat with a dry cured ham in place of the traditional boiled or barbaque pork to stay within the "no heat" theme. Spring rolls are one of my favorite snacking foods and you can get them on just about every corner in my town. Have another six in the fridge waiting when the hunger hits.
>>
>>7605882

Vertical?
>>
>>7605882
Oh man, that looks really good.
>>
File: simple vert.jpg (3 MB, 3256x3636) Image search: [Google]
simple vert.jpg
3 MB, 3256x3636
>>7605939

It's really as simple as it looks.

Peanut Sauce:
16oz peanut butter
5oz hoisin sauce
2 garlic cloves, chipped
2 tbsp soy
2 tbsp mirin (initial, add more to desired sauce thickness)
Crushed peanuts to garnish

Stick it all in a blender and go to town. Mirin was used in place of both water and sugar to dilute the sauce and add sweetness.

Gỏi cuốn (spring rolls):
1 package rice paper
Cucumber slices
Chives
Bean Sprouts
Lettuce
Cilantro
Mint
Basil
Cured Ham

See vertical for placement of ingredients on rice paper

Đồ Chua (pickled carrot and daikon):
Julienne Carrots
Julienne Daikon
Distilled White Vinegar
1 tbsp Salt
1/2 tbsp Sugar

Add small amount of water in the jar along with salt and sugar. Shake vigorously until dissolved. Stuff jar with carrots and daikon. Add equal parts water and vinegar. Let sit for a few days in the fridge.
>>
>>7605989

Looks good, I was thinking maybe you somehow dry cured the ham yourself.

Also, I hate to ask, but did you soften the rice paper in hot water?
>>
>>7606059

I wish I could dry cure meat in a week, I'd open my own damn butchery! Yes, the rice paper got put in some cold water until it was coated completely. Then you lay it out on a flat surface and it will be completely pliable in a matter of seconds. You need to hustle putting the ingredients onto the paper because it could dry out and make wrapping a pain in the ass.
>>
bumperino
>>
File: DSC06842.jpg (547 KB, 2257x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSC06842.jpg
547 KB, 2257x1500
Here's my submission for this week:

Kimchi Spring rolls

Fillings include: Homemade kimchi, carrots, cucumber, rice noodles and imitation crab.

The whole thing is quite crunchy and fresh, plus the kimchi gives a good punch of spiciness without getting out of hand.
I served the rolls with a simple dipping sauce made of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and a bit of fish sauce.

As for the prep, no heat was used. Both the noodles and the rice wrappers were soaked in cold water until soft.

Other pics will follow.
>>
File: DSC06846.jpg (546 KB, 2257x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSC06846.jpg
546 KB, 2257x1500
>>7606586
Here's a closeup of the cut
>>
File: DSC06854.jpg (632 KB, 1500x2257) Image search: [Google]
DSC06854.jpg
632 KB, 1500x2257
>>7606592
and here's the kimchi jar!
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1 MB, 1240x3844) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1 MB, 1240x3844
>>7605590
vertical
>>
>>7604170
pathetic kiddos with the "hurr durr, no such thing as a perfect score" mentality that think their opinion is worth a lot more than it actually is. they probably can't cook for shit either, they just watch cooking shows and think that they're masters
>>
>>7605590

Originality: 3/5
Appeal: 2/5

Kind of a disappointing entry. You pretty much said everything yourself.

>>7605882

Challenge Goals: 3/5

The store bought ham and large pile of out of place sprouts definitely brought it down for me. Otherwise not very original.

>>7606586

Total: 10/20

Aside from the kimchi, the filling looks a bit bland. The sauce is also really basic and the cucumber slices are a bit lazy at this point in the competition.
>>
>>7606981

Watch out guys, Gordon "ITS FUCKING RAW" Ramsay over here.
>>
>>7606987

Often those who speak low of food don't know their origins, especially when it comes to foods outside of their humble closed environment. Those two roll dishes were nailed and very authentic. This guy is bitching and moaning and nit picking about these trivial things which he probably don't have any familiarity with at all. Both roll dishes were made using strong flavors in the way they were meant to be eaten in the origins from which they stem. Ten to one this that guy has never tried either.
>>
>>7607036
They're pickled.. As long as you follow proper sanitation of jars and such just think a moment. A typical 'pickle' is a cucumber, have you ever had a jar of pickles go bad on you in the fridge? Probably not.

Answer: Long time.
>>
>>7607049

It really depends on how they're pickled, and how much salt and vinegar is in there.

It also depends on whether or not they're canned. Properly canned pickles can stay on the shelf for years, but once you open them that all changes.
>>
>>7607036

Do Chua will last a month in the fridge. I'd recommend googling the longevity of other pickled vegetables if you have any doubt. You can usually find a "keep" time rather quickly if you search "how long will x last in the fridge".
>>
morning bump
>>
>>7605882
>>7606586
Aren't rice paper wrappers made with heat though?
>>
>>7608445

Rice paper is just compressed rice flour, no heat source involved. If you're going to argue a stupid point like that, then all the fruit and vegetables in here were made under the heat of the sun and should be scored accordingly for breaking this rounds theme.
>>
>>7608464
pretty much this desu
>>
wow these are all terrible
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46 KB, 620x400
>>7608482
wow you're a cunt! Fuck off!
>>
>>7608464
I didn't intend to argue something like the sun being a heat-source. I thought they were genuinely made with heat. For instance, some sources (e.g. http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/06/how-vietnamese-rice-paper-is-made.html or Wikipedia) say that the batter itself is steamed, then dried.
>>
>>7600757
Total: 13/20
>>7601946
Total: 14/20
>>7602689
>>7605590
Total: 12/20
>>7605882
Total: 15/20
>>7606586
>>
>>7608516

Different manufacturers, different methods of creation. The larger manufacturers compress the flour into a patty. More traditionally you would use some form of heating to make the paper.
>>
>>7608586
Cool, thanks.
>>
File: _DSC6189.jpg (536 KB, 1050x700) Image search: [Google]
_DSC6189.jpg
536 KB, 1050x700
Eyepatch here. No Cook Kababs. There's marinated cheddar cheese slices with apple slices in between and prosciutto slices with a cream cheese and pesto mixture rolled inside of them on skewers. The cheese was marinated overnight in a mixture of olive oil, white wine vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Timestamp and identifier incoming.
>>
File: _DSC6191.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
_DSC6191.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1400
>>7608671
Timestamp and identifier.
>>
>>7608671

that's some very white cheddar then
>>
>>7608699
It's the lighting, and the white plate doesn't help.
>>
>>7606981
Do you seriously expect someone to cure and smoke their own ham for a cooking contest on a fucking chinese cartoon image board? How retarded can you be?
>>
>>7608770

Why not? It's not difficult at all. I've seen people expend far more effort on these challenges than it takes to rub salt on a ham, wait a while, and then smoke it.
>>
>>7608777

You understand curing meat takes weeks to months, right? There's absolutely no way someone can cold cute meat in one week.
>>
>>7608808

You certainly couldn't do a whole ham in that length of time, but you could do a smaller cut. I make Tasso (cajun ham) according to the recipe in Charcuterie by Ruhlman and it takes only a couple days to cure.
>>
>>7606981

>store bought ham

nigger
>>
>>7608770

To be fair, if he was just using ham from the store without doing anything to it he might as well have just made a sandwich.
>>
>>7608830

Same could be said for any dish made in this thread. It's all just shit bought whole and compiled onto a dish without much manipulation.

Think before you type.
>>
>>7608882

So far things have been salt cured, smoked, emulsified, fermented, cooked in acid, marinated...

All of those are techniques that change the structure of the food without using heat.
>>
>>7608905

Take all those things you just said and compile them with every entry in this thread and make a post about it, because I can tell you right now what you just said is full of shit. If you're going to make a point you might as well prove it you shitmonter.
>>
>>7608920

>take all those things you just said and compile them with every entry

It's really not clear what you are trying to say.
>>
>>7608930

Reading level of a child. Goes well with your childish ability to critique dishes.
>>
File: CK 7 Noheat.jpg (713 KB, 2220x1520) Image search: [Google]
CK 7 Noheat.jpg
713 KB, 2220x1520
Ghetto-rigged naengmyeon with spicy green kimchi

I didn't have a lot of joy with this challenge. Kimchi was fermenting in a jar over the weekend and I used instant noodles in lieu of buckwheat noodles. Naengmyeon is a Korean noodle dish served cold, so for the challenge I left noodles to soak in cold water for one hour instead of boiling or adding heat. I'll post recipe for kimchi and naengmyeon sauce in a separate post, too tired to do infographic.

Cheers,
>>
>>7608920

asdf cured egg yolks in salt and cooked fish over grapefruit.

Yellowmug cold smoked tomato and cheese, made an emulsified dressing, marinated artichokes, cooked onions in lemon juice, and pickled cucumbers.

NACK pickled carrots and daikon.

Dice made fermented kimchi.

Eyepatch marinated cheese.

CookingRei made a frozen sorbet and a whipped cream and sugar thing.

Those are all ways to manipulate food without using heat.
>>
>>7608983

Salt cured where?
Smoked where?
Cooked in acid where?

Just talking out your ass.
>>
>>7609001

I really hope you're not voting...
>>
>>7608963 Ugh, didn't realise the bottom of the pic cut off.

Green kimchi:
1 green cabbage
Half a radish
A few sliced chilli peppers plus generous heap of Korean pepper powder to taste
5-6 spring onions
Half a sliced ginger root
6-8 cloves of garlic
Fish sauce
So much salt, goddamn

Put cabbage in bowl and use about 100g of salt and rub into cabbage. Cover with water, leave to sit for 12-24 hrs. Drain, add all ingredients together and transfer to a sealed glass jar. Check on it once a day for 1-5 days, open it now and again. Push vegetables down into liquid. Clean any potential overspill. Then refrigerate.

Naengmyeon sauce:
Blend the following together:
1 chilli pepper
Half an apple
3 rings worth of pineapple
1 onion
And add:
Dash of soy (I have industrial strength soy that made it black rather than red, careful with this!)
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sesame oil
5-6 cloves of garlic
60ml white vinegar
60g sugar
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp powdered ginger

Combine and stir all ingredients till paste. Add flour or water if too thin or thick respectively
>>
>>7609004

0/20
Couldn't backup claim, now resorting to insults
>>
File: CK 7 Naengmyeon.jpg (897 KB, 3072x1861) Image search: [Google]
CK 7 Naengmyeon.jpg
897 KB, 3072x1861
>>7608963 >>7609037
Whole pic.
>>
>>7609066

Those noodles got Big.
>>
Voting been super slow this round.
What happens if people post entries late and they get no votes?

Automatic 0?
>>
>>7600757

>>7601946

>>7602689

Originality: 5/5
Total: 17/20

>>7605590

>>7605882

>>7606586

>>7608671

>>7608963

>>
>>7609409

Hi yellowmug. Where's your unique identifier that you said you would use when it vote for yourself?
>>
>>7609385
There's usually a voting frenzy on the last day. If not I'll see about maybe a voting extension.
>>
File: roundseven.png (327 KB, 499x280) Image search: [Google]
roundseven.png
327 KB, 499x280
no bake "cheese"cake

vert incoming
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>7609409
fucking really? Could you at least make your trolling subtle?
>>
File: roundsevenvert.png (724 KB, 508x1260) Image search: [Google]
roundsevenvert.png
724 KB, 508x1260
>>7609508
>>
>>7609463
Is tonight the last day to vote?
>>
>>7609515
No tomorrow until midnight EST is the deadline.
>>
>>7609515
tomorrow
>>
>>7609513

What does soaking the cashews do?

I'm not really into raw food, but just realized that I sometimes eat bars that are pretty much just chopped figs and ground nuts.
>>
>>7609508
Not a fan of cheesecake but fug me if the presentation isn't top notch.
>>
>>7600757
Total: 9/20

>>7601946

>>7602689
Total: 7/20

>>7605590

>>7605882

>>7606586

>>7608671
Appeal: 5/5

>>7608963

>>7609508
>>
>>7609532
activates them.

no, it actually makes them easier to blend and aids in a creamy texture. if you have a super good blender you can do without.

>>7609540
thank you. presentation was definitely my weak point last year so it's nice to be improving somewhere.
>>
>>7609583

>actually takes the time to vote for all the other contestants just to sneak in another low vote for yellowmug

Seems totally legit.
>>
>>7609532
>What does soaking the cashews do?

it makes them soft and gross

I some times have to beat my bird when he leaves a cashew in his water dish
>>
>>7609621

Animals are gross in general, but that's no reason to beat them.
>>
>>7609610
Fuck off mug, all you did was pile some veggies on a pool of hummus.
Don't be Thomas v2
>>
>all these scores

/ck/ challenge?
More like /ck/ comedy club, because these scores are a joke.
>>
>>7609640

Somebody has been giving a bunch of troll scores for the past few rounds.

The /ck/ challenge was much better in previous years.
>>
>>7609621
Beat my bird sounds like a euphemism for masturbating
>>
>>7610187
so does "leaving the cashew in the water dish"
>>
>>7602696
Are we accepting this as "cold-smoking"?

Because I've been cold smoking fresh caught salmon for years, and this shit would get a great laugh from the fishing community.
>>
>>7610275
There is the flavor of smoke being imparted on the food by the smoke without cooking it, so yes I would consider it cold smoking.

I'm sorry I didn't consider the thoughts and opinions of the fishing community before I came up with this response.
>>
>>7610425

Just ignore him.

Last round he was a pretzel maker with over a decade of experience...
>>
>>7609508

You went full raw food, and you should never go full raw food. If you properly fluted the strawberry and added a mint sprig the plating would have been culinary school 101. I know this is coming off as mean (and I'm sorry), but I'm really wondering what's happening on the other half of the plate not included in the picture.
>>
>>7610723

>expecting better than a culinary school 101 dish in a casual contest

Reevaluate your life
>>
>>7610723

>You went full raw food, and you should never go full raw food.

unless you're in a raw food round of a cooking competition
>>
>>7609508
>>
>>7608963
>>
>>7609513
Oh, nice entry! I particularly like the crust. I think if I make cheesecake, I'll go definitely try that crust. I'd like to try that filling too.
>>
Round over in 5 1/2 hours

Get them votes in
>>
>>7611355
It's not a "raw food" round, it's a "no heat" round. That doesn't mean the food is raw, since cooking can be obtained by methods that involve no heat.
>>
>>7612500

Great examples. Such a detailed list.
Can you export that lengthy compendium to an Excel file for us?
Might have to break it down into multiple files, even using a CVS format it will be terabytes in size.
>>
>>7612507
Or you can just scroll up to the beginning of this thread where many examples were given.
>>
>>7612635

>wont even quote his own post

Probably because it was shit to begin with
>>
>>7612747
Implying I am >>7612500

Just because more than one person thinks you're a retard doesn't mean they're the same person posting.
>>
3 hours to round close.
>>
>>7609583
>Kimchi
>Creem from non halal source
HARAM. All 0/0 .
>>
>>7600757

>>7601946

>>7602689
Total: 17/20

>>7605590

>>7605882

>>7606586

>>7608671

>>7608963

>>7609508
>>
>>7602689

Total: 8/20
>>
>>7602689

Appeal: 0/5
Total: 2/20
>>
>>7602689
Total: 18/20
>>
>>7613051

Presentation: 0/5
>>
>>7600757
I have no idea how you came up with this idea, but it looks pretty and you definitely thought about the challenge goals when you came up with it. I bet it tasted strange though, I have a hard time picturing mint, grapefruit, and egg yolk in my head...

>>7601946
Sorry, I'm not really impressed with this. You fulfilled the challenge goals at the bare minimum; you had an opportunity to put some interesting herbs/spices/veggies in it too but you stuck with very basic ingredients

>>7602689
I'm really impressed by how much you've improved over this competition! Also, mediterranean food is one of the my favorite "cold" kind of foods to eat. You get a little extra in challenge goals because you were the only person who took a risk at toeing the line of the challenge; I really felt like this was the most difficult challenge this year so far.

>>7605590
This was a cool idea, because I've had strawberry cheesecake before, but I've never had a cheesecake that was inside a strawberry :) Also, those strawberries look ripe and delicious.

>>7605882
Spring rolls were the first thing I thought of when I heard this challenge... but I like the idea that you rolled up cured ham in it, and it looks cool as well, kind of like logs with moss coming out the ends.

>>7606586
Not really much to add here except what I said in the above submission. I'd love to try your kimchi recipe sometime though!
>>
>>7608671
It looks nice, but I don't really see any purpose or reason to place the food onto skewers - they could have just as easily been served on a board. I love the combination of ingredients though, and I wish I could have tasted it.

>>7608963
Cold soaked instant noodles sounds gross, maybe if you had used some other kind of noodle and soaked it in a cold broth, that might have been nicer. I would love to try your kimchi though, thanks for posting the recipe! Also, wow that sauce sounds interesting, I will have to try that too...

>>7609508
Great job on activating those cashews ;) you took a lot of dessert ingredients I love and made something delicious! This was a difficult challenge round
>>
I aints no mathematician, but this shit looks pretty close.
>>
>>7613153
>>7613157

Thank you for giving serious scores with actual feedback. The contest needs more of that.
>>
>>7613469
Yeah, I totally agree! Everyone has been making some really interesting stuff this year, I'm impressed as always.
>>
>>7602689

Presentation: 0/5
Total: 3/20
>>
>>7614434
0/10 trolling and you're late anyways, faggot.
>>
>>7614454

Originality: 0/5
Appeal: 0/5
Need improvement. I just don't get it.
>>
Someone tally this shit
>>
>>7614793
Bubble's at work most likely, give her time.
>>
>>7614817
Home now. Tallying things up. New thread will be up soon.
>>
neat thread
>>
am i too late to enter the contest?
Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.