[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't my hashbrowns ever turn out crispy? what am I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: crispy-hash-browns-2.jpg (22 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
crispy-hash-browns-2.jpg
22 KB, 400x266
Why don't my hashbrowns ever turn out crispy? what am I doing wrong?
>>
Could be that the oil or pan is not hot enough but we can't tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't tell us what you're doing.
>>
>>7887345
Overcrowding the pan. Hashbrowns need to be cooked in a layer of fat/oil. The potatoes need to be spread out thin. If you're using a small pan and just piling them in there in a stack, you're overcrowding and causing them to steam rather than fry.

Med/high heat using a fat with a high smoke point, 3-4 minutes on each side will do the trick. Less time if you're making a small portion.
>>
>>7887356
thanks!
>>
you got to squeeze as much water out of the potatos before you cook them. they have to be very very dry.

Put them is some cloth and squees till no more fluid comes out.
>>
use a flat top like what diners have so you can spread them out thin. squirt some oil out onto it, throw the hash on and let it sit for longer than you think, then flip it all like a pancake. I use a cheese grater and grate the potatoes into shreds then mash them into cheese cloth and squish the moisture out.
>>
>Using towels and cheese cloth to get the moisture out.
I just squeeze them in my hands and can get enough out that my hash browns fry to a nice crispy golden brown.
>>
>>7887345
whats the best oil? peanut?
>>
>>7887813
but then they are on your hands and the dirt from your hands is on the potatoes and that is disgusting. I can just imagine a fat mouth breathing chef at the diner using his hands while he smokes a cigarette and picking his nose squeezing them by naked hands like you say. Disgusting.
>>
>>7887824
>He doesn't wash his hands before cooking.
>Implying loads of chefs don't use their hands in the preparation of dishes.
>>
>>7887824

Did they not teach you to wash your fucking hands before you cook?
>>
>>7887845
watch your fucking mouth asshole this is a blue board and I don't appreciate that bs
>>
>>7887854
do you appreciate having three months off from school?
>>
I never make this shit, but shouldn't you soak it in cold water to eliminate some of the surface starch just like fries?
>>
>>7887880
You can yes it's all up to what you feel like doing with it really. I'm not very particular about some shredded potatoes as long as they brown and crisp up.
>>
>>7887356
This anon is pretty spot on. Also, are you playing with them while they are in the pan? Don't use your spatula or spoon and move them around too much, to crisp up you want to have surface contact for elongated periods of time.
>>
Squeeze all the water out with cheesecloth, then spread in an even layer on a plate and microwave them for 45 seconds to a minute. It gelatinizes the starch and removes more of the moisture.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.