[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/, I'm normally a beer drinker and never really tried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 1300x975) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 1300x975
Hey /ck/, I'm normally a beer drinker and never really tried whiskey outside of some sort of cocktail. I don't really know much about it. I'm going to go to the liquor store soon and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

What's a good, widely available starter whiskey? I plan on drinking it either neat or on the rocks depending on how I like it. Also it doesn't have to be cheap either since I'm not a poorfag.
>>
This is super pleb, but Jack Daniels is good to start. Wild Turkey is good too if you're just starting. Stay away from scotch until you start developing a taste for whiskey.
>>
>>7882070
I was thinking about picking up some Jameson because I heard it was super smooth. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>7882080
Actually, this is a good idea. Jameson is pretty good and drinkable, but not so good its nuances will be lost on you, and there's nothing offensive about it. It's terribly overpriced in some places though. You shouldn't spend more than $25/fifth. I've seen it for $21/pint.

If it's super expensive, I agree with other anon--get Wild Turkey or ask an older clerk for a rec for good, not expensive starter whisky.
>>
>>7882080
>>7882070 is half right. JD's is awful, WT101 is very good.
>>
>>7882080
Jameson is crap. If you're looking for Irish, get something Bushmills. There's a meaningful difference between Burbon (American), Scotch, Rye (Canadian), Irish, and Japanese (not entirely unlike scotch). Even if you hate burbon, for example, you might love scotch, or vice versa.

For burbon, Bulleit is a good starter, and Wild Turkey is decent. Don't bother with Jack Daniels-- it's sour syrupy rotgut.

For rye, depending on your area, you might not have a lot of options. It stopped being common in the States about twenty years ago, when they suddenly rekindled their love affair with burbon. Wisers "Special Blend" isn't entirely terrible, and it's pretty representative of what you can expect from a rye. Ryes are best in cocktails (manhattans, old fashioneds, etc.)

For scotch, there are a few different regions, and they're all a little different. Broadly, don't expect much from a blended scotch, stick to single malt. If you don't want that peaty, band-aid flavour people warn you about in scotch, avoid the Highlands and get something from Speyside instead.
>>
>>7882144
>If you don't want that peaty, band-aid flavour people warn you about in scotch, avoid the Highlands

You mean Islay. Speyside scotches are also Highland and most Highland scotches don't have prominent peat.
>>
>>7882070
Jack Daniels is terrible. You pay a hipster tax to get a harsh off taste of tails or whatever it is. I don't know anything about destilling but I can easily taste that off note in JD. At least buy Jim Beam instead if you want a good pleb bourbon.

>>7882080
Irish entry level whiskeys are smooth yes because of the triple destillation. You could also try Bushmills or Tullamore DEW. Tullamore DEW is the smoothest of the three.
>>
I'd recommend Highland Park 12-year old. It's a good whisky with a very plain whisky flavor profile, without strong distinguishing characteristics. This will make it a good reference point to compare other whiskies to.
>>
>>7882070
>JD for starters
acetone, nail polish and glue
>bbut muh charcoal mellowed
agree with the rest
>>
>>7882067
They all taste the same
>>
>>7883116
>Highland Park
>without strong distinguishing characteristics
No. It's a good whisky, but something smoky is probably not a good thing for someone just starting to get into whisky. Something like Glenlivet or a good blended malt like Old Parr is a better starting point.
>>
Bulleit is a good starter for rye or bourbon.
>>
Dude it all taste like asshole don't waste your money.
>>
I, as a beginner whisky drinker, have found the Old Pulteney 12-year-old easy to love. It has a smooth as fuck mouthfeel, with something vanilla-like in the taste.
However, it might be a little expensive if you're still unsure about your preferences.

Are there any pubs that offer whisky tastings near you? I've found that tasting 4 different whiskies on one evening with some explanation has really helped me to differentiate between different whiskies, whereas previously it all tasted like 'whisky' to me.
>>
love peaty ones. smoke flavor
>>
>>7882067
get gentlemen jack or makers mark
>>
>>7883554
(you)
>>
>>7882067
Try some Bulliet or Buffalo Trace if you want bourbon; Knob Creek is also decent, but stay away from the smoked maple.
>>
>>7882080
Jameson is actually a pretty decent choice, provided you can find it in the sub $30 range. I've yet to try the Caskmates run, but I've heard only good things.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.