[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did they start putting salt in caramel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault[9].jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[9].jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
Why did they start putting salt in caramel?
>>
>>7879631
it tastes better
>>
>>7879631
Because the modern palate has become accustomed to everything being heavily salted as a result of the high volume of processed foods in the average diet.
>>
>>7879631
Because flavour contrasts are nice
>>
They? Who? Surely you're not fucking retarded enough to think this is new just because it's popular
>>
>>7879641
probably starbucks

remember that a thing isn't real until a shit-tier fast food chain starts selling it in flyover country, at which point it's a "meme" and you're not allowed to eat it anymore
>>
Sweet and salty is a complementary combination. Plus most things taste better with at least a little salt added.
>>
Caramel IS kind of boring on it's own. Toffee is much better and salting the caramel gives it a more toffee-like flavor.
>>
File: sad-frog-meme-wrecking-ball[1].jpg (34 KB, 400x590) Image search: [Google]
sad-frog-meme-wrecking-ball[1].jpg
34 KB, 400x590
>>7879668
>Had to reword my post twice because the system thinks it's spam.
>This comes through fine.
>>
Isn't salted caramel just made using salted butter?
>>
>>7879637
Dude, salt has always been heavily used in every cuisine since like forever. Ever since humans discovered that salt is a preservative and prevented people from getting sick from rotten food, it's been in literally everything. Didn't roman soldiers get paid in salt?
>>
>>7879637
>Salt
>Literally the most used and valued spice
>Used for thousands of years
>The bases of many cultures
>Potentially one of the most important ingredients used in cooking
>Needed to even be alive

You're right, Salt is a meme
>>
>>7879877
But you are interfering with his goyology. He's training for the goyolympics after all. Be a goybro and check your privilege.
>>
>>7879631
all the salted caramel shit ive had has been too salty
>>
>>7879631
It is not worth trying to understand food fads like eating chia pet seeds.
>>
>>7879631
modern people smoke qnd eqt so much shit their tongue become wasted and unable to taste anything that isn't brain rotting strong.
>>
>>7879631
Salt always makes sweets taste better. The trick is to add enough salt so that you can just barely detect the saltiness.
>>
>>7879631
>>7879830
"caramel au beurre salé" is a traditional French specialty , first recipe mentioned in a cookbook around 1946...
>>
>>7879631
There's quite a bit of debate about this subject, actually. Some say it's a recent additions, Others say that's the way it was originally made. I learn towards the latter camp. There's records of an old Arabic caramel confection referred to as kurat ahmil (translating roughly to sweet ball of salt, implying both its age and its origins)
>>
>>7879631
Because it's tasty as fuck famalam.
>>
it is a breton delicacy that has been around for a long time.

in the last 20-30 years savoury elements in sweet dishes have become quite fashionable. this is partly due to salted caramel itself but also because celebrity chefs have spread the word about salt 'transforming' flavours, removing bitterness and so on.

don't forget that almost any cake or cookie recipe you make has salt in it. it's generally there for taste, not texture.
>>
>>7879671
Close, but no, sweet and sour are complimentary, as are salt and bitterness (hence the reason people put salt on grapefruit to make it taste better).
Poorly made caramel has a bitter aftertaste to it as a byproduct of cooking the sugar, so they started adding salt to it to mask the fact they couldn't make good caramel.

tl;dr Carmel has salt to hide a foul aftertaste
>>
EVERYTHING tastes better with a pinch of salt.

DON'T EVEN TRY to prove me wrong.
>>
>>7879868
Look at this guy and his historical accuracy. You're right of course, hell even salted caramels are old news. They were indeed by Henri Le Roux in like 60s or 70s. I love how these flyover anons get annoyed like it's some new trendy idea.
>>
File: 980987087.png (499 KB, 531x567) Image search: [Google]
980987087.png
499 KB, 531x567
>>7880945
>Breton delicacy

I know you're probably talking about Brittany, but still
>>
File: 1341267758351.png (48 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1341267758351.png
48 KB, 280x280
>>7879868
He's right, you know.
>>
>>7880945

I visited some people in Rennes and they not only claimed that salted butter was invented in Bretagne, but that it was a regional delicacy that you couldn't find elsewhere.

I don't think they traveled much.
>>
>>7879631
Probably an attempt at making caramel less disgusting. Didn't work out very well but I guess it was a slight improvement for some people.
>>
Salt neutralizes bitterness. This is why it's used in dispersable aspirin and other painkillers
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.