[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should my blue cheese be looking like this after about 10 days?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160714-WA0000.jpg (145 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160714-WA0000.jpg
145 KB, 747x1328
Should my blue cheese be looking like this after about 10 days?
Most of it is brightly blue as I assume it should, but there are these white spote on it that look like a different kind of mold.

Did it all go bad? Is it salvageable? Or nothing out of the ordinary?
>>
This doesn't look like the edible kind of mold at all. I'm afraid your cheese is dead, anon.
>>
what humidity are you storing it at? what is the average temp?
>>
Looks fine to me. Go ahead and eat it.
>>
Don't pussy out now. If you're lucky it might be hallucinogenic spores.
>>
>>7878479
Im just wondering how those got there in the first place. Isnt the entire point of the edible mold to proof it against bad mold and bacteria?

>>7878481
Im storing it in the basement, but its fairly dry and warm. Maybe 70% at most and like 20 or so Celsius.
>>
>>7878624
>70% humidity
>fairly dry
>>
>>7878624
>Isnt the entire point of the edible mold to proof it against bad mold and bacteria?

Yeah, but it's not 100% effective. It never is. What you have is just fine.
>>
Isn't bleu cheese white with blue veins? I have never seen a bleu cheese that looked like the moon befroe.
>>
>>7878654
You sure on that? Do you have something I can read about this maybe? Id like to not die a horrible funghus infected death at 21.

>>7878651
As far as I understand real gorgonzola matures at close to 100% humidity so compared to that...

>>7878661
I think for a white surface I would have needed another culture of white mold on the outside mixed with the blue.
>>
>>7878661

Yep. But that's because it was wiped before it was packaged. OPs photo is an intermediate stage in the process. If you cut into OP's cheese it would be white with blue veins.
>>
>>7878672
Nope.
Bleu cheese is hard pressed cheese stored at low moisture and a low temperature, while still having a high air flow, with the right fungal spores added.
What the op has is a fucking mold cake. You should not eat, you should not repeat the process that lead you to this, you should never think that this is all right. this is bad, you should feel bad and you should never try this again until you have at least tried to educate yourself on this
>>
The first link on google, jeez

http://www.onetomato-twotomato.com/2015/05/making-blue-cheese-at-home/

Did your guide of choice not mention this? Did you just wing it?
>>
>>7878740
>>7878772
The third picture from those six looks exactly like mine does now. Humidity and temperature are also about right. So I guess I just follow the article for now and after a month of ageing I cut off the outer layer of mold.

I did obviously consult a whole bunch of guides but same as with the different opinion in this thread there is anything but common ground about this topic.
>>
>>7878832
That's what happens when any idiot can make a blog and call themselves an expert.
>>
Looks fucking nasty to me, don't eat that, not worth the risk
>>
CUT IT OPEN AND EAT IT
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.