[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it ok if I use both bicarbonate and salt together to tenderize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: chicken-breasts.jpg (60 KB, 947x800) Image search: [Google]
chicken-breasts.jpg
60 KB, 947x800
Is it ok if I use both bicarbonate and salt together to tenderize meat /ck/? or will it make mustard gas?
>>
>>7874278
it's okay, just be careful about letting it sit for too long. i accidentally left it on some meat too long once, and it had this squeaky mushy texture that was very offputting. it also wouldn't brown in the pan for some reason.
>>
You're thinking of jalapeƱos and chicken.
>>
>>7874291
>squeaky mushy texture
yeh mine turned out pretty bad as well. I left if for like 30min. pan frying is exactly what I did and it ate up all of the oil as well (2tbsp).

how do I make tasty chicken breast /ck/? I'm coming from /fit/. I like cooking and I'm not too bad at it but I'm a beginner.
>>
>>7874375
Just cover the chicken while it cooks.
Butterfly, 4 - 5 minutes each side
>>
>>7874291
Weird, I find that adding a little sodium bicarbonate to seasoning helps with searing. Just gotta be careful with how much because the flavor ain't ideal.
>>
>>7874375
It's adorable when /fit/ thinks they can cook
>>
>>7874446
They literally said they were a beginner you autistic faggot
>>
>>7874375
>how do I make tasty chicken breast /ck/? I'm coming from /fit/. I like cooking and I'm not too bad at it but I'm a beginner.
i think you only need the tenderizer for tougher cuts of meat, and chicken isn't really tough unless severely overcooked.

my favorite way to make chicken is to coat it with a bit of oil, then add whatever spices you want, i usually do cumin/coriander/black pepper. add fresh garlic or ginger, salt, and a splash of something acidic (vinegar, lemon, pineapple juice, wine, etc.)

let it sit at least an hour, overnight is better. the small amount of acid and salt is enough to make chicken breast tender and helps keep it juicy.

after that, just sear it in a pan and finish it in the oven if it's thick. i usually like to deglaze the pan after with a bit of stock or wine, simmer it until it's reduced by half then add a bit of butter to thicken it. you can just keep reducing it until it's thicker if you don't want the extra fat though.
>>
>>7874278
For chicken, I use a dry brine or cure of kosher salt that I coat it in. This draws moisture out, which in turn moistens the salt and helps it permeate the chicken. Let it sit for a half hour to 2 hours. Sounds like a lot of salt, but if you wipe or quickly rinse the excess off before cooking you're fine. Season with any other spices/herbs and I then sear the chicken in either clarified butter or olive oil, then finish in a 375 degree F oven til it comes up to temp. FDA recommends 165 F, which means pull the chicken at 160 due to carryover heat. I like mine a little less cooked than that. If you like, you can then deglaze with white wine or lemon juice or something else acidic and make a pan sauce, gently stirring in a pat of butter at the end.
>>
>>7876045
I know people like to use marinades for chicken, but you can get some of the same flavor by adding those elements during the cooking process or at the end rather than via the marinade. Why do I recommend this? Well, first off, wet brines and marinades ADD moisture, but between this and the acid, which denatures the proteins slowly, you run the risk of a soggy, yet mealy piece of chicken. You see this in the popular Italian dressing marinade quite often. I recommend seasoning, searing and THEN adding the acid to deglaze and THEN adding butter or a beurre manie as a liaison for the sauce and to enrichen.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.