[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What fast food should I buy? I have 15$
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2
File: A1-Bacon-Burger-BK.jpg (158 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
A1-Bacon-Burger-BK.jpg
158 KB, 600x322
What fast food should I buy? I have 15$
>>
Don't they mean A1timate? Get it?
>>
Sonic

double bacon cheeseburger the works
large cheddar peppers
large banana shake.
>>
You can get real food with 15$ [sic].
>>
>>7872344
It's a cheat meal
>>
>>7872351
In that you are being cheated of a real meal?
>>
I'm about to eat at a local barbecue spot for $11. Do that instead
>>
>>7872351

So get something good?
>>
>I have 15$
Go to the grocery store fuccboi
>>
>>7872384
>>7872351
>>
Checkers man 2 fry lovers burgers a large fry and a red Kool aid slushee. That's like 6$
>>
File: 1466605610219.jpg (28 KB, 408x324) Image search: [Google]
1466605610219.jpg
28 KB, 408x324
>mfw you can get a decent main course+soup+drink in my country for $15 in almost any restaurant
>>
>>7872331
I ate the burger in your pic. It's pretty good, get that. But the Texas double whopper is the best if your bk has it.
>>
>>7872408

Name a single country where you can't.
>>
>>7872408
Same here, my country's money is worth nothing, so with $15 you can buy pretty much anything on every restaurant.
>>
>>7872331
Well if you're dead set on fast food, then the Bacon Mozzarella from Wendy's is pretty good
But I'd rather go to a proper burger joint for $15
>>
>>7872419
Most north european countries
Any southern american shithole because that money is gone
america unless you're talking breakfast menus/small town diners.
>>
>>7872351
Cheat meal means you eat a meal high in fat, not you eat shit food
>>
>>7872419
Most parts of America.
>>
>>7872331
LOVE THAT CHICKEN FROM POPEYEEEEE'SSSSS
>>
Popeyes

It's for nigs but delicious
>>
>>7872448
>>7872449
Popeye's hivemind
>>
>>7872435

$15 for an entree is a little higher than average pretty much everywhere in America if you're just talking about a normal restaurant and nothing high end.
>>
>>7872449
>>7872448
Most bland fast food fried chicken.
>>
>>7872419
sweden
>>
>>7872469
He didn't just say for a main course but one with a soup and drink plus all of it had to be decent. A capitalist mecca like America doesn't have such things typically. A good meal for a decent price is practically communist now a days.
>>
>>7872479

$15 for an entree, soup, and drink is perfectly doable at a real restaurant as long as you're not talking about alcohol.
>>
>>7872488
Not entree, soup and drink you retard. Main course, soup and drink. Where in the fuck did you get entree from?
>>
>>7872499
Entree is main in America. I realize it is starter in Europe. Came up on Below Deck Mediterranean a few eps ago.
>>
>>7872488
But it won't be decent. It will be cheaply and poorly made. If you are lucky it will be mediocre at best.
>>
>>7872510

I'm talking about an every night kind of place that's 90% scratch from fresh ingredients, not a place you need to get dressed up for and only go to on a special occasion.

Last place I worked was in the heart of a downtown and the average entree was $12-13, a cup of soup was a couple bucks. $10-15 is basically the normal price range for a main pretty much everywhere in America.
>>
>>7872526
Fresh doesn't necessarily equate to being good. Fresh is merely pretension and misdirection. Many of the best foods are preserved.

You shouldn't need to get dressed up for a decent meal. That you think excellent meals can only be had on special occasions is exactly what is wrong with American culture.
>>
>>7872331
subway
>>
>>7872646
Eat fresh.....black penis in a jailhouse communal shower by a guy named Bubba Jones.
>>
>>7872596

I explicitly said an every night of the week kind of place, and that's not Applebees; that's the local, unpretentious place that makes great quality burgers, pasta, steak, fish, whatever.

I've lived in France and even there there's a difference between a decent cafe with an 11 Euro prix fixe dinner menu and a special occasion type place that you're expected to dress up for. Does the cafe still make really good food? Yeah. Well the same thing exists in the US.
>>
>>7872331
If you have $15, you can afford something better than Burger King.
>>
>>7872471
You have not tried literally any other fast food chicken in your life, clearly.
>>
>>7872664
90-95% of American restaurants are basically Applebee's whether they are local, local chains, or national chains. The food is too expensive for what it is and it is only meh. Stop kidding yourself.
>>
>>7873852

I'm American and this is the biggest bullshit I've ever heard.

Places like Applebees are microwave tier garbage restaurants kept in business by people who work in cubicles and travel and want something close and familiar, and they know they can overcharge because of this and serve terrible food to people who don't really care and are most likely charging their company. That's not how most of the country eats at all.
>>
>>7873861
Most of America is eating frozen and fast foods. The Applebee's, Red Lobster's, and Outback's are for special occasions. If you are really rich and it is really special then you go to a Benihana type place.
>>
>>7873872

I usually avoid racial /pol/ type garbage, but that's literally only the experience had by a black person who grew up in poverty and ignorance, but you're obviously baiting...
>>
>>7873878
No this is the life of a white American.
>>
>>7873884

If that's the stereotype you've formed based on your limited exposure I feel sorry for you.
>>
Noice, that will buy you -one- 1/4 lb burger(no cheese) and one small water at Whataburger. I say go for it, broseph!
>>
>>7873908
Keep deluding yourself anon. America basically has only a few types of restaurants: the Americana bistro (Applebee's,TGIF, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc.), seafood (Red Lobster, etc.), steakhouse(outback, longhorn, etc.), Mexican, Italian(Olive Garden,etc.), and Asian (Benihana, PF Chang, etc.). They are all remarkably similar, pricier than they should be, and profiteer off low quality swill. The small businesses follow their lead. There you have about 95% of the restaurants in America. People like you enjoy pretending the other 5%, like gastro pubs, represents restaurants in America. /ck/ and you think people are so rich they view these restaurants like fast food, but eating out to the tune of $50+ for a family of four is ridiculous and no young man just starting their life is paying $10-15 for a small plate of food and a drink when they can get a sack of food at a burger or taco joint. This is why restaurants are relegated to special occasions unless you are rich.
>>
>>7873945
different anon, there are also plenty of german, indian, spanish, thai, greek, even french. hell, we even have that shit here in shitty east TN. i go fairly regularly a few minutes away to Knoxville to a french/belgian place. you're delusional.
>>
>>7873945

Wow, you are so off base it's not even funny.

I'm not rich, but I also never frequent any of those shitty chain restaurants. I've tried a few in the past, and my conclusion was that they are not cheap at all; they are overpriced as fuck, and seem to be regarded as the kind of place you'd take a girl on your first date if you were poor as fuck. I grew up eating out probably 4 nights a week at local places that were both cheaper and infinity better than any of those chain places you mentioned. Maybe some people don't know better or simply live so deep in flyover land that there's no other options, but it has nothing to do with being rich.
>>
>>7873962
>german, indian, spanish, thai, greek, even french
That accounts for at most 1% of restaurants in America.
>>
>>7873964
>they are not cheap at all; they are overpriced as fuck
The quality is cheap, not the price.
>I grew up eating out probably 4 nights a week at local places that were both cheaper and infinity better than any of those chain places you mentioned.
Less than 10% of local places aren't some sort of copycat of a major chain pulling the same scams or worse.
>>
>>7873986
probably more than that. what exactly are you looking for that you can't find? mongolian or something? I can't think of a cuisine I can't get here, like I said, in my shitty little area of the USA. fuck, i just had korean this afternoon. it was twenty minutes away. have a date night tomorrow with the missus for greek.
>>
>>7873992

>Less than 10% of local places aren't some sort of copycat of a major chain pulling the same scams or worse

I've spent time in the industry and can assure you that that's blatantly untrue. As much as shows like kitchen nightmares and restaurant impossible are hammed up for television, the chef's are legitimately surprised when they see frozen food being microwaved, which is what those chain places do. That's not how a real restaurant is run, but the chain places are only a step above fast food quality because they need to insure consistency, which means that they cut corners to avoid human error as much as possible.
>>
>>7872331

Just order a large pizza from a decent non chain restaurant.
>>
>>7874013
>the frish fudz is bettar maymay
The recipe is what makes food good. Most people can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen whether they are top tier chefs or obnoxious super palate gourmands.
>>
>>7874746

>the recipe is what makes food good

That's a very wrong and uninformed opinion you've got there.
>>
>>7874779
Which would you say describes you:

I consider myself a chef and/or unironically call myself a chef.

I consider myself a gourmet or gourmand and/or unironically refer to myself as such.

I watch chef and cooking programs.
I think we all know all of the above is the answer.
>>
>>7872434
That's what it means if you're a bodybuilder in the 90s
>>
>>7874806
I thought they didn't start spewing this cheat meal nonsense until some time between 2005-2010
>>
>>7874795

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but >>7874779 is exactly right. Unless we're talking about cafeteteria-tier food, recipes don't matter much:

When I get chickens in at the restaurant I don't blindly throw them in the oven according to what a piece of paper says. I look at how heavy they are and adjust the cooking time to suit. Sometimes they're heavier than other times so it's dumb to blindly follow the exact same cooking time.

Likewise, fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices all vary in flavor. Depending on how potent the ingredients are their proportions need to be adjust to suit. For example, sometimes the Jalapenos are deathly hot and two of them is enough to season a whole pot of beans. Other times they're milder and a dozen might be needed.

And of course cooking times vary depending on the power of the stove, type of oven used, and even the cookware. Trusting the recipe when it says "saute for 3 minutes" or "bake for an hour" could result in under or over-cooked food depending on all those variables.

The idea that blindly following a recipe exactly somehow creates good food is counterproductive. A good cook will always adjust ingredient proportions as needed based on the natural variation of the ingredients involved.
>>
>>7874835
There is going to be a need for fine tuning but they are making the argument that merely since it is fresh it is good when the cooking method, proportions, type of ingredients used, etc. basically the cooking process is more important. You can have good frozen food but it needed to be made well in the first place. They are saying fresh will always beat frozen merely since it is fresh. It is a meme that comes from watching too many douchebag "chefs" and "cooks" on tv. They are also not taking into account the wonderful world of preserved meats, fruit preserves, etc. that Ramsey would flip his shit over since it wasn't made that day by hand fresh.
>>
>>7874870

I agree that the best and freshest ingredients are useless if the recipe is outright bad or if the cooks are unskilled and have bad technique. Sure.

But it's assumed that we're talking about professionals who aren't making noob tier fuckups like serving chicken that's raw inside or overcooking the scallops. Assuming that the cooks are using proper technique then ingredients are extremely important. Freshness is certainly not the only criteria but it is important.

>>You can have good frozen food but it needed to be made well in the first place

I would say that's highly dependant on the dish you're talking about. Freezing meats and vegetables causes an immediate change to the texture of that ingredient which is rarely a good thing. In the industry this is called "drip loss"--google it if you aren't familiar. Sometimes that could be a good thing (if I want to juice that fruit or vegetable). Usually it's a bad thing. And sometimes it's a necissary evil: Ideally, I'd get fresh-caught swordfish that was never frozen. Alas, that's not really an option. So I'd rather have one that was flash-frozen the moment it was caught on the fishing boat than one that sat there "fresh" for a couple of days before it came in to port.

>>not taking into account the wonderful world of preserved meats.....

Yeah, we're going into autism mode here. Of course a chef knows that ingredients which are deliberately aged aren't meant to be "fresh".
>>
P Terry's, in n out, chik fil a, chipotle are good choices for non-cancerous fast food
>>
>>7872331
Wendy's double with cheese meal and a spicy chicken sammich.
>>
>>7874795

I'm someone whose spent a few years BoH (not a chef) and who likes to eat out as often as possible.
>>
>>7872419
Denmark.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.