[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Cumin powder belong in salsa?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: salsa.jpg (426 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
salsa.jpg
426 KB, 1600x1600
Does Cumin powder belong in salsa?
>>
>>7869905
if you like it in there then yes.
>>
If the fresh ingredients aren't the most tasty it can definitely help, but I don't think of it as a standard ingredient. It's just not really "bright" enough, if that makes any sense.
>>
No. It's good with beans, if you like Latino style rice and beans.
>>
taco seasoning always has cumin in it and mexicans don't eat anything without salsa so I'm inclined to believe so
>>
>>7869905
Not really. There may be a couple of exceptions, depending on what kind of salsa you're making, but cumin is more for cooking sauces. It's too acrid when it's not cooked, much like curry powder and turmeric.
It DEFINITELY has no place in guacamole, which drives me up the fucking wall.
>>
>>7869905
No. Salsa should fresh tasting and spices like cumin make it feel 'heavy' if that makes sense.

But if you're making inauthentic crap that tastes like jarred salsa, I guess you can put it in there.

>>7870003
>Mexicans use taco seasoning
>>
>>7870016
of course they use taco seasoning. how else will they prepare their tacos?
>>
>>7869905
No, cumin goes well in many savory dishes so I try to use it in only specific dishes so it doesn't lose its luster
>>
What about garlic?
>>
>>7870139

...that's...

I have no idea, anon. I just... I don't know. I need to go outside, think about my life choices.
>>
>>7870139
Roasted and minced, sure.

Raw, no.
>>
>>7870029
Kek
>>
>>7870304
Who invited the "13-year-old girls from tumblr" crowd?
>>
>>7869905
No. Never.
>>
>>7869905
No, weighs it down too much & doesn't play well at all with the brighter flavors you get in there

>>7870004
>he doesn't put cumin in his guacamole
I was with you up until then, but hey, different strokes
>>
>>7869905
No, it belongs in the meat
>>
>>7869905
dunno much about that, but i know i belong cumin in your mom
>>
>>7869905

eww no
>>
>>7870004
Are you not lightly toasting your cumin before cracking?

anyway you made me get up and pop a raw cumin seed. I noticed a mild bitter taste around the 3rd note. But any tomato acidity is gonna cook that shit right out after 5 minutes.
same with the guac, the lime is way more powerful.

The only other thing I can think of is you got mold in your spices. Do you pour over steaming food, instead of doing a mis.

also if you're trying for a more hearty than bright salsa go for it, it plays nice with peppers.

something you'd put on something strong like smoked meat, that you'd want to cut the richness without clashing with too much acidity.
>>
File: emerald valley salsa.png (151 KB, 500x403) Image search: [Google]
emerald valley salsa.png
151 KB, 500x403
>>7869905
Depends on the salsa.
>>
>>7873767
>this hipster shit. Wtf
>>
>>7869905
Salsa just means sauce. It's your sauce, you do whatever the fuck you want with it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.