[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>make deliciously thick, cheesey sauce with 3 cheeses >mix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
>make deliciously thick, cheesey sauce with 3 cheeses
>mix with pasta, pour in baking dish, layer with mozzarella for data stringy gooey texture
>gorgeous texture and flavour
>top with cheddar and breadcrumbs and put in oven
>remove from oven, eat
>dry as fuck and tastes of nothing

I was looking forward to it all day yesterday and now I've been miserable as fuck all day. My girlfriend said she would eat it and I don't feel like eating anything now. Probably gonna go hungry today.

Cheer me up bros
>>
>>7868848
sounds like you put it in the oven too long.
>>
make it thinner next time. this is the single most common error people make with baked bechamel based stuff.
>>
This is the single best baked macaroni and cheese recipe I've ever used: http://www.bbqdan.com/recipes/macaroni_cheese.html

I have made it over three dozen times and it is perfect each time. Whenever we have potlucks down at the campground it is guaranteed to be gone. The dish is nearly licked clean every time. Try it, OP.
>>
File: grumpy owl.jpg (443 KB, 1000x748) Image search: [Google]
grumpy owl.jpg
443 KB, 1000x748
Do you want to be cheered up or do you want advice?
Here's a grumpy owl.
I'm sure he's having a worse day than you are. He just came home to find his owlwife in nest with a cuckoo. He's been literally cucked.
Enjoy your schadenfreude. Hope you feel better.
>>
File: 1466614817439.gif (1 MB, 320x160) Image search: [Google]
1466614817439.gif
1 MB, 320x160
Hamburger helper you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJea4CIltE
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIp9T25-iz8
>>
File: 1463773075007.jpg (143 KB, 640x1137) Image search: [Google]
1463773075007.jpg
143 KB, 640x1137
>>7868955
Shit, they removed them. New links!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhvj2ps-jMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCtv3jn2J0g
>>
>>7868961
This was painful. Why math?
>>
>>7868899
>implying mac 'n cheese ever survives a potluck

its the most familiar side so everyone grabs some in case the more adventurous options fall flat. Doesn't really matter what the quality is, it gets eaten.
>>
Add pasta water to your cheese sauce
>>
you forgot the SALT nigguh.

add SALT to taste, stupid
>>
>>7868848
The best experience I ever had with Mac'n'Cheese was when I made a bunch for a comic meetup, but didn't have time to cook it and just piled it into a lunchbox. It was fucking divine. Looks like you've stumbled on the reverse corrolary.
>>
>>7868945
>He's been literally cucked.
fun fact
the cuckoo lays it's eggs in other birds nests meaning that it had to be a female bird
>>
>>7868848
you probably didn't add enough cheese
the flavor in mac n cheese doesn't come from the sauce it comes from the cheese
it tasted dry and yucky because you layered mozzarella in there when you should have added more cheeses, ie the kinds you used to make the sauce
the sauce almost basically just holds it together

either that or you didn't actually taste your cheese saue
>>
>>7868848
I would just skip the oven step, it's not worth it.

At the very most, I would put it under the broiler for 2 minutes to brown cheese and crisp up the crumbs a little.
>>
>>7868848
Don't put it in the oven, macaroni and cheese is way better off the stove. I've tried making so many different baked macaroni and cheese recipes and they never turn out as rich and creamy.

If you still want a crunchy topping, just toast breadcrumbs in butter on pan for a few minutes.
>>
>>7868848
Do I need to use sharp cheddar to get a good consistent taste?

Last time i used mild cheddar, and it really came out kinda not cheesy even though I added way more fucking cheese than the recip called for. (Was using Chef John's Mac n Cheese Recipe)

I don't really like sharp cheddar, so I never buy it
>>
>>7869641

Use sharp cheddar if you like the sharp taste. If you don't like the sharp taste then use a milder cheese.

And keep in mind that the quality of the cheese you pick makes a huge difference here. Just because the label says "mild cheddar" doesn't mean squat. It could be bottom-shelf flavorless store brand bullshit, or it could be a very tasty cheese. Quality matters here; buy good cheese, not the cheapest shit on the shelf.
>>
>>7869641
it's best to use a few different types of cheeses. sharp cheddar has a nice flavor, fontina is great for melting, parmesan is great for topping/mixing
>>
>>7868848
You forgot dry mustard, paprika, and salt. SALT. The recipie requires salt.

Don't use Mozza. Use good Cheddar, and Gruyere
>>
>>7869651
Yeah, I keep meaning to start grating my own cheese. I'll probably start when I run out of the shit I currently have. Cheers, anon.

>>7869656
Alright, I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks!
>>
>>7868848
You need to add stewed tomatoes to it
>>
I've never had a successful macaroni and cheese using a bechamel.

Only good recipe I've seen was the stovetop recipe from seriouseats.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html

Only bad thing is that the pasta to sauce ratio leans a little too heavy towards the sauce.
>>
File: hey cantstandya.jpg (52 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
hey cantstandya.jpg
52 KB, 640x420
>>7868961
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>7869583
Right. He's been dyke-cucked.
Poor owl.
>>
File: regret.jpg (54 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
regret.jpg
54 KB, 500x469
>>7868848
>oven
>bread crumbs
found your problems
macaroni and cheese is supposed to be a simple dish, and one that's not fucking crunchy
>>7869187
also this
making good mac 'n cheese? enjoy your high blood pressure!
>>
>>7870102

>mac and cheese is not supposed to be crunchy

according to who? moses?
>>
File: Mac_N_Cheetos_Box.0.0[1].jpg (148 KB, 1310x737) Image search: [Google]
Mac_N_Cheetos_Box.0.0[1].jpg
148 KB, 1310x737
>>7870102
>crunchy mac n cheese is bad
checkmate atheists
>>
File: stop.gif (333 KB, 289x149) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
333 KB, 289x149
>>7870127
oh just let me boil these noodles to make them soft and then turn around and make them hard
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.