[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /ck/, I work 12 hour night shifts. This line of work is one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 50268533400873735.jpg (95 KB, 584x584) Image search: [Google]
50268533400873735.jpg
95 KB, 584x584
Hi /ck/, I work 12 hour night shifts. This line of work is one of the biggest fatass generators I've ever seen, and at least 1 in 3 people I've worked with is about as wide as they are tall. It's not hard to see why, because the temptation to constantly eat just to stave off boredom is ever present.

I want to beat it and prevent myself from becoming a lard planet, though. I'm insistent on eating better. The problem is my life consists of waking up, going to work, coming home and going straight to sleep. What are the most filling and nutritious foods for someone with such little time to themselves? What are some meals can I prepare that have the best balance of cheapness, speed/ease to prepare and nutrition?

pic sort of related, it's the kind of shit I want to spend all night chowing down on but need to avoid
>>
black coffee is fine.

you're going to have to pack a lunch. you're going to have to bite the bullet and wake up early enough to do that shit. your'e going to have to plan your lunches and your shopping and you're going to have to not let it rot in your fridge because you know you can get a meal for $4 from the vending machine.
>>
idk about meals to take with you, but a smoothie as breakfast and some almonds for snacking on is a pretty decent way to do things, i would get a bunch of frozen fruit, whatever kinds you like, mix them all in a large container in the freezer, then just get a scoop of it in a blender with some sort of fruit juice and soy milk or yogurt, fast, easy, and it'll keep you going for a while
almonds are good for snacking, i like tamari or ginger-lime
>>
>>7858750

>What are some meals can I prepare that have the best balance of cheapness, speed/ease to prepare and nutrition?

Sandwiches and a baggie of veggies on the side. There's a shitload of variety to sandwiches and veggies you can use so you aren't tempted to snack on donuts or other unhealthy foods. Don't be afraid to get some hummus to liven up the veggies (believe me, they can get oooooold after a while)
>>
>>7858794
>almonds are good for snacking
>everyone always tells me this
>but I was born with inferior gene of nut allergy
fuckin rip
>>
>>7858794
>almonds for snacking
I love almonds, but I've bitten into so many and found tiny grubs inside them that I just can't any more.

Same with pistachios. I swear I'm cursed to breed infestation in any nut I touch.
>>
>>7859027
i feel for you anon, i truly do
>>7859156
maybe try cashews then?
>>
I work nights and almost never have the urge to eat anything. Of course I'll start grazing once I get home, which is just as bad.
>>
File: 1466539845578.jpg (50 KB, 359x304) Image search: [Google]
1466539845578.jpg
50 KB, 359x304
>12 hour night shifts

how do you not kill your self fambly?
>>
>>7859168
Think of the pay and spend all night watching movies.
>>
>>7859168
i work 12 hour night shifts

but i have a week on, week off schedule

it's pretty good actually
>>
>>7859223
four on four off here, we have the perfect shift pattern

I want a better job that I enjoy more but I can't stand the thought of working more days than I get off
>>
>>7858750
Find out what the enemy to your diet is...time? convenience? Prep time? What? When you aren't working pack away leftovers into individual freezer containers or ziplocs. That stew, lasagna, noodle, burrito will reheat nicely one day as real food for a microwave dinner. A microwave potato under most leftovers is gourmet work dinner.

I work where I have no fridge. I pack a cooler in the morning with chicken salad sandwich layered with cucumber slices or tomatoes or arugula. I add curry powder or dill sometimes to the basic almond chunky salad. Wrap sandwich is good with smoked turkey or roast beef or some nice ham, as long as I stuff it with a little cream cheese, goat cheese and some veggies too. I buy the bags of baby cukes, baby bell peppers, and box of baby lettuce, because they seem to last the longest before spoilage where I use only a bit at a time daily. Try a big salad bowl, where you warm up some leftover meat to top it. From your freezer, or rotisserie chicken, and then add your crunchies, croutons, rice noodles, avocado, dried poblanos, nuts, fruits, etc.
The rest of my cooler is granola bar, cheese crackers, slim jims, whole fruit like a banana or apple, and chilling frozen drinks which I take out one at a time to thaw. I might have Honest grape juice, mint tea, decaf coke. My desk has an assortment of hot drink mix ideas, different tea bags.
>>
>>7858750
>This line of work
What do you do?
>>
>>7859632
Security.
>>
>>7859639
Ah, that would make sense. Do you ever do rounds around wherever you patrol, or do you just sit at a desk all night?

Back when I did security, I would keep myself busy by constantly walking around the building and doing some janitorial work.
>>
>>7858750
Get into trades, nigga.
Best decision I've ever taken in my life.
>>
>>7859642
I just sit at a desk. I don't have access to half the locations on site where I could actually do shit.

>>7859645
I'm almost 26, I'm worried I might to be too old to go into trades at this point.
>>
Just don't eat a lot, take note of what amount of food you eat, and how long it lasts in your system.

My rule is if something lasts for more than five hours, while idle, before the next hunger pang, then it's a calorie bomb and should be avoided.

Sometimes a tiny pastry won't look like much, but if the recipe involved a fuck load of dairy, then it'll be a long while until absorption.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.