[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preparing snails
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: snails.png (1 MB, 977x896) Image search: [Google]
snails.png
1 MB, 977x896
So it was raining outside today and i managed to collect around 400 (8-9kg) worth of Escargot/Burgundy snails (pic related, part of them).

I gave them some carrots and going to wait around 4-5 days for them to shit themselves.

What should i do with them after boiling?
>>
Where do you live? I want to go pick snails for dinner.
>>
>>7857241
add the shit to a dipping sauce for them

or just suck the snails out of their snails, put the shit in the shells and serve them on a platter.
easy peasy ;)
>>
>>7857251

Eastern Yurup, in the countryside.
I went something like 50 meters from my house and they were everywhere.

>>7857252
Would frying them a little bit after boiling spoil the taste?
>>
>>7857241
give them water and rinse the poop away daily
the night before give them some veggies again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ju7_ZORsZw
>>
>>7857265

Thanks Chef.
>>
Snails are friends
>>
>>7857241
why do you want them to shit themselves?
>>
>>7857268
delicious friends
>>
File: Snipe.jpg (30 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Snipe.jpg
30 KB, 450x300
>>7857241
we feed them cornmeal and old tortillas to purge them. takes about a week. Steam them on a tray so they cook in their own juice. mix the collected juices with clarified butter, sauteed shallot and garlic and a little white wine.
>>
>>7857265
Nice vid but
>here kids you get 5 pence per snail
>I didn't pay a penny for them
>>
>>7857270

In order to clear their digestive tract from anything icky

>>7857276

Cheers for the advice
>>
>>7857276
Good to add some chopped flat-leaf parsley, as well.
>>
>>7857279
Mate, you have real problems.
>>
Remember to pull out the shit sack, OP.
>>
http://www.molidelsfanals.com/en/snails-a-la-llauna/
>>
I know I'm being irrational, but I cannot get myself to try snails.
I am totally disgusted by those fuckers, especially since one crawled over my face, while I was passed out drunk in the garden, at some BBQ a few years ago.
So tell me, are those slimey fuckers really worth it, to try to overcome my fears? There's shitloads of them out in the garden.
>>
Snails are fucking disgusting creatures, you're all fucking disgusting.
>>
>>7857241
definitely feed them grains of some kind, probably cornmeal is cheapest and easiest, and wash their merde whenever you're seeing it. then maybe you're being cheeky and feeding some herbs like thyme and parsley into that cornmeal for a week or two more.

once they done shitting and only cornmeal is coming out wash them again and dash them with salt, couvrir the tray with foil and poke a hole and leave it over night

next evening lunch or evening then you make mirepoix and simmer it with water and white wine is good

now putting in our little friends about 15 minutes and keeping the water clean, then clean the slime when they fini

probably you want to bake them with more wine, some light herb, garlic and butter. citron is ok too if you like it.

and that's it
>>
>>7859833
>So tell me, are those slimey fuckers really worth it, to try to overcome my fears?

Not really, no. It's a lot of work for some mediocre eats.
>>
Wtf just clean and boil them in water with some salt, oregano and garlic. Serve dem with toasted bread with butter, dats how we do it in portugal
>>
>>7859833
Honestly? Have you had clams? They taste and feel exactly like that.
>>
>>7859850
They're a good source of proteins. You eat clams and oysters don't you?
>>
File: snails.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
snails.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
>>7859833

Well cooked and prepared? They're wonderful! With some Garlic-Herb butter prepared they're extremely good.

>>7859994

I like the texture of snails a bit more than clams. Although they're both good.

>>7859850

>will eat a lobster or other bottom feeder poop eating animals
>sneers at snails
>>
I live in california (bay area) and have thousands of these little fuckers

Can I eat California common garden snails or do these have to be a specific type of snail?
>>
>>7860226

I've had them with diced bacon (not sliced) and chistorra and they were delicious. My roommate's uncle did them in the countryside and whenever she went there to visit she would bring a kilo of them.

Snails are great but you should learn how to get rid of the shit sack if you are the one cooking them.
>>
>>7859852
speak english you poivron
>>
File: 1352844759741.jpg (17 KB, 559x556) Image search: [Google]
1352844759741.jpg
17 KB, 559x556
>>7860755
I didn't know what a poivron was, so I googled it and spent the next 5 minutes laughing uncontrollably. Only on /ck/, man.
>>
>>7860226
>>7859994
Are they really as chewy as clams? I quite like clams in a risotto.
>>
>>7860258
You can eat any but you gotta purge them incase they eat poisons
>>
>>7860226

it's the garlic butter that's so delicious. you'd be better off sauteeing some erasers in garlic butter. just as tasty and less fucking disgusting and parasitey.
>>
>tfw I have an irrational fear of slugs and snails

Honestly, I hate being outside at night when its raining, because I walk with my head down and try to avoid any of these fuckers. Im always paranoid that one has attached to the back of my shoe or that there are somehow snail eggs in my cosy room.

I often have nightmares where I wake up in my room and am surrounded by massive and exotic slugs and snails.

FUCK
>>
>>7860258
i ride my mountian bike through gg park everyday to work always see bums collecting them to eat..so i guess theyre okay. theyre also growng weed in the bushes near the lawn bowling area if you need some.
>>
did someone mention being triggered by snails
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.