[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright louie /ck/ youve helped me out in the past, so i return
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0458.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0458.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Alright louie /ck/ youve helped me out in the past, so i return again for shitty cooking episode 2!

pics of my shitty cooking included as per usual

My question today: why do I seem to keep making half cooked fish?? I have made this salmon filet 2 nights in a row now, same problem both times.

I cooked this piece of fish on cast iron grill skillet, same one I use for all pieces of meat grilled indoors. I cooked it skinless side down for 5 minutes, 3 minutes skin side down, on high heat, per instructions. Obviously the heat was too high as the outside is SCORCHED. Still fucking tasty.

(pt 1)
>>
File: IMG_0452 (1).jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0452 (1).jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
The problem? The inside is fucking PINK bordering on RAW. The taste, fresh off the grill, I would describe as "barely warm" except for the thin parts and the outer layer. Tasted okay because I dont mind eating shit burned and it the seasoning was fire, but whats concering me at this point is the possible fucking PARASITES I have living in me now from eating this fucking thing.

How the fuck do I stop doing? Am I gonna be sick?
>>
>>7855956

You'll probably be fine.

The method for fixing burned food is usually turning the heat down.

The method for getting the heat to transfer to the middle of the food is to cook for a longer time to allow the thermodynamics time to do their magic.

sooo... to recap...

cook at a lower temperature for a longer time.
>>
let the fish hit room temp first
>>
>>7855956

For a piece of fish that thick, you are going to want to cook it closer to 10 to 12 minutes. So turn the heat down so that you can leave the fish on for that long without burning it.

Alternately you can get your oven hot and sear the the fish in the pan and then put it in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes to cook the inside.
>>
>>7855992

why is it so fucking thick... i buy it fresh from market, its always like this
>>
>>7855956
okay all that grill on low temp advice is bad as fuck, it will stew your meat and make it dry. i cook fish daily, seal it on high heat, maybe 2-3 minutes each side, then finish it in a mid temp oven to your liking.
>>
>>7855956
Remove from fridge and let it warm up some

Cook slower, on lower heat for more time

Its not that hard. Assuming you survive the night. Never, ever eat fish that isnt cooked to the equivalent of well done.
>>
>>7856022
>Never, ever eat fish that isnt cooked to the equivalent of well done.

WRONG
>>
File: imgres.jpg (11 KB, 374x135) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
11 KB, 374x135
>>7856012

That is how salmon is shaped... the muscles on the back and sides of the fish are thick.. the muscles at the bottom are thin and are mostly there just holding the guts in.

Most fish, including salmon, have something called the lateral line. this is a line that runs the length of the fish and it defines where the muscles meet up with some sort of skeletal infrastructure that supports the fish and makes it strong and powerful while swimming. the muscles around this line are always thickest because the muscles here actually have something to pull on to create locomotion through the water. the belly meat is thin and more tender because it is used less and doesn't need to be as strong.

Generally that part of the filet will always be a little more cooked, and that is OK. I like it when that part gets a little crispy.
>>
>>7856018

id really prefer not to have to do two methods of cooking for one piece of meat. im fucking lazy.
>>
>>7856045

You don't need to. That guy is just suggesting a practically fool proof method that blue collar high school drop out retard restaurant chefs use to produce good results.

If you know your stove top and pan, you can find a good setting that will cook that fish in 6 to 7 minutes per side without burning that will cook your fish through.

Alternately, what I have also had success with is putting fish on my propane grill - skin side down on a piece of tin foil - for about 10 to 12 minutes with the lid closed and the grill set to medium or med low. The skin will burn and stick to the foil, but the rest of the meat will come right off the skin and be cooked to perfection. clean up is easy, just toss the foil.
>>
I don't know who told you skinless side first, but they're wrong. Always skin side down first. Also, I don't know who told you high heat, they were also wrong. High heat is only for a few things i.e. mushrooms and getting shit out in a hurry. Medium high is your go to for sauteing purposes.

I'm gona take a guess and say someone said high heat because you've done this before and your skin came out rubbery. What you need to do is spend some time heating up your pan beforehand. Cast iron has great heat retention but really shitty induction, that means it doesn't disperse heat through the pan quickly when its heated up. To combat this, you always preheat your pans.

Next, temper your fucking protein. I don't care what retards here read on the internet, a non cold fish will cook more evenly than a cold one.

Hot pan, good amount of oil, skin side down. Turn down the heat a touch as a piece that thick is gonna need some time and you can occasionally cheat and check the skin to see how its browning. When its brown, add a half tbsp of butter and tilt the pan back so the oil and butter pools near the bottom of the pan. Use a spoon to baste the fish with the fat. Turn it to the other sides and baste those too so the thing cooks evenly, do this until it's cooked to where you want it.

Congrats, you can now pan roast.

t. An actual cook
>>
>>7855956
Just put a lid on it for the first few minutes then remove so the skin can crisp up. Same way I cook thick sausages to make sure they're done before the casing is wrecked.
>>
Put in tin-foil, put your shitty seasonings on it, close the tin foil (don't wrap it, make sure there is space between the foil and the fish on all sides except the bottom obviously). Stick in the oven at 190 for 15-20 minutes.

Eat it.

Bonus points. Put a sprig of dill on the fillet lengthwise, before cooking.
>>
>>7855956
abandon what you are doing and make exactly this. you're welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiBoTo1aZYE
>>
>>7855956
I have to ask... is this frozen when you start? You can help yourself quite a bit by at least leaving it out of the fridge for a bit before you stop cooking, but if it's frozen to start with you're fucked.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.