[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Nutmeg Supposed to Taste Soapy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 20101202-nutmeg-500.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
20101202-nutmeg-500.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
I've seen a lot of recipes that call for freshly grated nutmeg, saying that it's much better if ground fresh than if you use the pre-ground. I bought a bottle of whole nutmegs and microplane grater, and I tried it out.

But for me, it just tasted a little soapy. Kind of like the ginger you eat to cleanse your pallet when eating sushi.

I don't know what the issue is here, so I need some help. I know that some people have a genetic predisposition for having coriander/cilantro taste soapy to them, but I haven't found anything on nutmeg. Maybe it's the brand/king of nutmeg I bought? I don't know. Maybe nutmeg is supposed to taste a little soapy, but I have no idea.
>>
>>7843925
>much better if ground fresh

I'm afraid you were memed.
>>
>>7843929
Is that some sort of misconception from modern hipster foodies or something?
>>
OP, maybe you had some kind of residue on your grater? Or did you consume an extremely large amount of nutmeg? It's one of the most subtle spices in existence and easily overwhelmed by other ingredients - I can imagine somebody unfamiliar with nutmeg using a lot of it trying to make the flavor noticeable and producing a disagreeable flavor that way.

Personally I've never noticed a soapy taste, and can definitely tell the difference between fresh and pre-grated nutmeg, the latter might as well be sawdust.
>>
>>7843970
The grater I used was brand new and right out of the package, but now that you mention it I did forget to actually clean it before using it. I'll go clean it, grind up some fresh nutmeg with it, smell/taste it again, and get back to you.

As for your other points, I got whole nutmeg because I was making homemade pumpkin pie, and the recipe called specifically for it. It called for half a teaspoon and I measured it out with a measuring spoon, so I'm positive I used the right amount. That time I didn't taste anything, but then again there were other pungent spices in play like powdered ginger, so the taste of the nutmeg was masked.

Then later on, I tried just a quick, light dusting on top of a hot drink. Just a few flecks here and there. I don't remember for sure what the drink was to be honest, but I think it was a cup of earl grey tea. That's when I noticed the soapy taste. Then I tried it by itself and it still tasted/smelled soapy.
>>
I've heard cilantro tastes like soap to some people. Maybe nutmeg is similar are you're someone like that?

>>7843929
Unless there's something about aging it, fresh ground will always be better.

Other than salt, but that's because it's a mineral and doesn't decay/dry out other spices.
>>
>>7843992
To be fair, half a teaspoon seems like a lot for one pie. Less is better when it comes to nutmeg.
>>
OP here.

Well, I couldn't find the same microplan in question, but I did have another one I used that ground it to the same consistency as the original. It didn't taste as bluntly like soap as it did before, but it does have a pungent off-taste. I can't rule out the grater, and maybe I just got a bottle that was off; maybe it wasn't aged properly? I don't know.

>>7844002
It could very well be, but like I said tried to do some research on the subject and there doesn't seem to be anything like that involving nutmeg.

>>7844005
It was used for the pie filling, and combined with the ground ginger in the crust (including ginger snap cookies as the base instead of graham crackers), it came out tasting pungent with spices, but not in a bad way.
>>
>>7843925
Nutmeg doesn't have any soapy taste I can detect. You either have some bad nutmeg or your palate is weird. Or as others have said you might have something gross on your grinder.

Also possible that you have some mental association with nutmeg and soap because it was in some bath product. I feel that way with jasmine because I used nothing but jasmine soap as a kid.
>>
>>7844002
>I've heard cilantro tastes like soap to some people
My friend describes it as rusty tinfoil
>>
OP, are you sure you have nutmeg, not nutmeg flavoured soap balls or bath balls or something like that?
Try dissolving some in water, it should stay a wooden powder.
Video kinda related : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22nJDXw3UtU
>>
>>7844163
Please be the solution. This would be pleasantly hilarious.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.