[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to brown tons of meat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: songofsammy.jpg (56 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
songofsammy.jpg
56 KB, 560x375
I'd like to one day own a restaurant that turns out subs/sandwiches with freshly browned meats (chicken/pork shoulder/flank). It seems like the places that do this right are diners that take 10-15 minutes to do it from raw on a griddle. That's not ideal for working lunch crowds, and shitty for the restaurant that has to now seat all these people waiting for food (think a downtown location where rent is pretty high).

It seems like if you par-boiled in the marinade that morning (let it marinade for 24 before) and heated from both sides on order you could get that down to maybe 3 minutes turnaround. The alternative is to maybe even fry them (no breading).

I'm a bit out of my league, and wanted to get some feedback before trying this out in the kitchen. Advice?
>>
tl;dr: can you tell the difference between a fresh grilled vs par-boil then grilled?
>>
Well you either need really thin meat or a really hot cooking method.

Five Guys shortens wait times by giving you two really flat patties that cook quicker than one thick patty. You could try ground meats or really thin cuts.

Flash-frying is dangerous and may even be TOO hot, or it might provide an undesirable level of greasiness. Cooking between two hot surfaces could work, but it may squeeze the life out of the meat (that's why George Foreman grills help you lose weight - they squeeze all the good stuff out of the poor chicken breast you're making)
>>
>>7826518
the idea is if its par-boiled first, (and i can't believe i'm saying this, but maybe brought out of cold by microwaved just prior to grilling) you can have decent chunks of meat that get a sear at the last second. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on fresh browning, but it seems to give an important texture you don't get if it sits around.

Hadn't thought about two sided grilling squeezing the juices out, that's a good point. Yeah, frying is a PITA and you really would want to get the oil off the meat before serving it, scratch that.
>>
>>7826363
pre-sear on grill or tilt skillet
finish in combi-oven
hot-hold in natural jus during peak service, 5-15 minute rotation on 3rd pans (dependent on volume of service)

t. high-volume banquet line cook
>>
you can always tell the difference between fresh or par/pre cooked.
>>7826688
thats pretty much the method for industrial/buffet cooking, and its pretty much agreed upon by everyone, but it still loses a bit of quality over time. works great on high turn over though.
>>
>>7826363
Just use kebab meat on kebab heating devices.
>>
>>7826720
t. kebab
>>
Stick it up your ass fillet by fillet.
>>
>>7826363
Cook all of the meats sous vide and cool them. Then you can keep them in the machine at a warm temp and just sear them on a grill or whatever
>>
>>7826363

If you're secure enough in your sales volume that you could parboil everything in the morning, then you should be able to just keep some sous vide baths filled.

Chunk up the meat into individual packs for a single sandwich, take it out and sear it either with a torch (might look cool for the punter) or with something like this :

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_461420.html
>>
>>7826812
Buy a water circulator or just put it in some boiling water and keep topping the pot up with water and a vacume packing machine, shove meat in bag and find a chart with temperatures for your meat and cook it that long then like if its a steak quickly shove it on the grill till its warm and has scorch marks and serve, shit takes like 2-3 min compared to 15-30, and it will last like 3x as long than leaving it wrapped, im really stoned so this will make no sense and im not going to proofread this
>>
if you can get away with it, make a very watery sugar glaze.

it caramelizes way quicker and shouldn't affect the flavour too much.
>>
>>7826688
neat
>>7826720
yeah i had considered the autodoner, those things look hard to control quality wise, i guess something to research more.
>>7826812
>>7827490
neat
>>7827547
superneat, going to try that
>>
>>7826363
>10-15 minutes from raw
>On a fucking imdustry-grade griddle

Yeah, nah. Bite-sized pieces of meat in one layer take maybe - maybe - five minutes straight from the fridge and eight or nine from the freezer.
>>
>>7828054

This, 100%.
>>
File: flavortown.png (234 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
flavortown.png
234 KB, 500x282
>>7826363
there's only one way to flavor town OP
>>
>>7828054

That's okay for the chicken and pork, but really sub-par for the flank steak.

I wonder if there is a market for a machine which automatically finishes off sous vide cuts of meat with an open flame and a conveyor.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.