[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chef Knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 21fAINTHuJL._SY400_.jpg (7 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
21fAINTHuJL._SY400_.jpg
7 KB, 500x333
Hey /co/ first time buying a chef knife, but it's hard to find good but affordable knives in my country.

https://www.amazon.com/Neoflam-Nonstick-Ceramic-Coating-Sheath/dp/B00WB7MYKE

it this japanese high carbon stainless steel a good knife?

what do you people think are thr best knives?
>>
1x ceramic knife for soft food, best bought with a sheath to avoid accidental chinks

1x the cheapest steel knife you can find

Only morons fall for $100+ meme knives
>>
>>7816540
>2 customer reviews

learn how to buy things on the internet and then come back.
>>
>>7816553
its not even the same one i can buy in my country I'm just asking if the brand is reliable.
>>
>>7816564
why would anyone here know anything about the brand

2 customer reviews indicates that its not a big brand anon. are you keeping up?
>>
piggybacking on this thread

What is a good book about knife cuts and knife skills, /ck/? I already have alton's tools for your kitchen book.
>>
>>7816586
youtube. why the fuck would you buy a book that explains something which is motion related?

holy fuck YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET THE LARGEST STORE OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE EVER TO EXIST

JUST FUCKING USE GOOGLE JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>7816540
My advice would be a Dexter Russell Sani-Safe or a Mundial.

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S145-8-PCP-Knife-Cooks-each/dp/B00PU07A08

https://www.amazon.com/Mundial-W5610-8-8-Inch-Cooks-Knife/dp/B000M0G0SE

There's a reason they're the house knives in a lot of restaurants. They aren't expensive, hold a decent edge, can take a beating, and can be put in a dishwasher. If you keep cooking, you can always move up and you'll still have a decent beater knife you can take camping, or let your noncooking friends use when they come over and ask to use a kitchen knife.
>>
>>7816605
Badass. I'm in the market for some decent knives myself. Would you recommend a pearing knife by the same company?
Also, I have a whetstone, is that good enough to sharpen a kitchen knife or is that retarded?
>>
>>7817036
The D/ R paring knife is great. I know this will probably start a flame war, but I never use a whetstone on my knives. I've used water stones for woodworking tools, but never seen the need for kitchen knives. I use a steel every time I use a knife, and crock sticks when the edge is past steeling. If you take care of your knives you don't need to sharpen them very often, it removes material and will fuck up your bled profile. Not so much with a knife like the D/R, but definitely with a bolstered Euro style knife.
>>
File: 1312161233635.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1312161233635.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>7816550
>ceramic knives
>>
>>7817070
Cool. Just found a $7 D/R paring knife on Amazon. I'll opt in for a sharpening steel, they're cheap enough, thankfully. I'll also pick up a magnetic knife rack because why not.
>>
>>7816605
Huh, that Mundial looks nice.
>>
>>7817078
Sorry your cooking skills are not good enough to appreciate ceramic knives yet.
>>
>>7816540

bought a Zwilling four star twenty years ago. Don't know what they cost now but was $20 back then. Just finally had it sharpened for the second time as my little diamond hone and steel weren't getting it right anymore. Other knives are mostly used restaurant utility knives from kitchen supply place. One fancy japanese style chopping knife that was Christmas gift. My pairing knives were freebies from watching some bullshit presentation for a slap chop or some shit.

You don't need to spend a fortune. "Japanese steel" is just marketing, it's not a fucking katana. Invest in a steel. Hand wash them.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.