[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/, currently making sauerkraut and wondering if all the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 20160625_033550.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160625_033550.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Hey /ck/, currently making sauerkraut and wondering if all the space in the jar could fuck my sauerkraut up
Did I do it wrong, /ck/?
Should I put more liquid into the jar?
>>
>>7815526
That's jenkem isn't it?
>>
>>7815530
Yeah but am I making it right
>>
What is pepe doing in there?
>>
>>7815526
You should post your ingredients, process, etc, so that if you are serious about your question, ppl can contribute.
>>
>>7815526
What is on it? The space is fine, lots of CO2 will be given off, plenty enough to displace most of the oxygen(O2) (hopefully the jar isn't completely sealed or else pressure can build up until it explodes). Mold can't grow without oxygen, but the type of bacteria for this fermentation can, which is why people like to do this. However sometimes people will not use a seal at all and will simply keep the kraut under the brine as you have, which should help protect against mold itself.
After 3 days it will taste best imo.
>>
My procedure was as follows
Sanitize the jar and lid
I used rocks from my collection (washed, rinsed, sanitized in boiling water) to weigh the cabbage down
Chopped up most of a head of cabbage (I had the rest for dinner)
Added about 2.5% salt by weight
Mixed it in, pulverized the cabbage with a meat hammer (also clean and sanitized)
Stuck the pulverized cabbage in the jar along with the rocks
>>
>>7815549
This,
during fermentation there are gasses that will accumulate. Putting an air tight lid on it is asking for trouble. The gasses need to escape. Take the lid off that and replace it with plastic wrap.
Let it breathe.
Fermentation will start ~3 days.
>>
>>7815578
That sounds reasonable.
>>7815579
here... The bacteria forming will produce gasses as they consume. Those gasses need to be able to dispense, otherwise you'll have an explosion. The pressure inside the container from the gas will exceed the pressure forced on the outside of the container and you will have boom boom.
Like beer and bread dough, let it breathe.
>>
File: 20160625_045353.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160625_045353.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
As per anon's advice, I have unsealed the jar and put the lids back on quite loosely
Thanks for the help /ck/
>>
>>7815592
The friendly bacteria takes over, no need to worry about unfriendly bacteria.
There will be no mold. If there is, cut if off like you would do on a piece of cheese. It takes a special type of mold to make you sick.
GL on your endeavor!
>>
File: pp.jpg (354 KB, 800x616) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
354 KB, 800x616
Avoid inadvertent explosions...
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.