[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Bartender: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 7
File: bar3safe.jpg (338 KB, 1057x1057) Image search: [Google]
bar3safe.jpg
338 KB, 1057x1057
Hey /ck/,

Last thread went really well, so lets do another one. I'm a professional Cocktail Bartender in Houston, TX. I've been working behind a bar for almost 10 years now, and have worked at everything from very high end to dive-y and dirty. Got a question about a drink? A spirit? The Industry? Ask away. I go on shift in 4 hours but I'll keep up with the thread until then.

To start with some content, here are some great Old Fashioned's:

Primer - An Old Fashioned can be made with any base spirit. Gin, Rum, Whiskey, etc. An OF is simply a drink that is Spirit, Sugar, Bitters, Water (added through dilution while stirring). So feel free to experiment. Stick with the standard ratio and think about complementary flavors and you'll do fine.

Traditional OF:
2oz Rye Whiskey (I use Rittenhouse for a baseline)
1 Barspoon of 2:1 Turbonado Syrup (2:1 Simple Syrup works as well)
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
1 Dash Peychauds Bitters

Add all ingredients into a mixing glass, stir with ice for 45 Seconds. Pour over new ice, garnish with orange peel. Sub Bourbon for Rye if Desired.

Rum OF #1:
Same as above, sub Whiskey for aged rum (Plantation 5 year, Ron Zacapa, etc.)

Rhum OF #2:
2oz Rhum Barbacort or similar, Agricole works exceptionally.
1bsp Turbo Syrup/Simple
2 Dash Coffee Bitters

Mezcal OF:
2oz Mescal
1bsp Agave Syrup
2 Dash Aztec Chocolate Bitters

Sotol OF:
2oz Sotol de Chihuahua
1bsp Simple Syrup
1dsh Orange Bitters
2dsh Mole Bitters
>>
>>7811638
What happened to your face?
>>
>>7811647
Lost it in a horrible Flaming Garnish accident.
>>
>>7811638
Are you an alcohol? How much do you drink?
>>
File: 1457382871534.jpg (128 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1457382871534.jpg
128 KB, 960x960
Whats your favorite gin cocktail and your favorite gin? I've been making gin fizzes since your last thread and I'm looking to try something else.
>>
You ever catch someone trying to roofie someone else? What happened?
>>
What's the best drink to give a girl so she doesn't notice it has been spiked?
>>
>>7811666
I am not an alcohol, I am a person.

But no, I am not an Alcoholic. I drink a shot or two of low ABV spirit (Campari, Aperol) per shift and a beer or two after work. I don't really drink that much. Very little compared to most bartenders I admit.

>>7811667
The Gimlet would be my personal favorite. As to my favorite Gin? Well hard question, but its tough to go wrong with Beefeater. I use Monopolova, Fords, and Beefeater most often.

>>7811671
I have never seen it, and if you look at the stats it is basically an urban myth. Of the 100 or so cases of "being drugged" that were in the last national study I read, none of them were actually roofied, they were all very drunk however. In my experience the people who think their drink was spiked also drank like hell that night.
>>
>>7811667
Also, it's not technically a Gin, but pick up a bottle of Bols Genever and your mind will be blown forever, Genever was what the British were trying to copy when they invented Gin.
>>
>>7811683

The Gimlet: My Way
2oz London Dry gin
1oz Fresh Lime juice
.5oz Simple Syrup
1dsh Orange Bitters

Shake all ingredients with ice in tin, fine strain into Coupe, garnish with Lime wedge or Orange twist.
>>
Bumping with Classics:

Manhattan:
2oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
1oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocci di Torino)
2dsh Angostura Bitters
1dsh Peychauds Bitters

Stir all ingredients with ice for 45-60 seconds, strain into Coupe, garnish with Luxardo Cherry or Lemon Peel

Vieux Carre:
.75oz Rye Whiskey
.75oz Cognac
.75oz Sweet Vermouth
1bsp Benedictine
2dsh Peychauds
2dsh Angostura

Add all to mixing glass with ice, stir for 30-45 seconds, strain into Rocks Glass over fresh ice
>>
Favourite single malt Scottish and International?
>>
>>7811739
Scottish: Right now its Bruddalich Black Art, which is a weird scotch barreled in 1990, it's an unpeated islay and is banging. Honorable mentions to Bowmore Mizinura Cask

International Single Malt: Yamazaki 18
>>
You likely open beer bottles for a living. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>7811745
Nice, I've been enjoying their WMD-II Yellow Submarine and Laddie Classic.
Nice choice on the international, my pick from Japan currently is the Ichiro's Malt card series 5 of spades.
>>
>>7811784
>Nice, I've been enjoying their WMD-II Yellow Submarine and Laddie Classic.

You tried the new Toki? It's blended as a Highball scotch and is really awesome at the pricepoint. It just hit the market in the states about a month ago. If you drink Highballs pick one up.
>>
>>7811638
Bay Area kid turning 22 this year. I've heard that the bartending school route is looked down upon, but only from people who haven't worked as a 'tender. What's your perception of that?

Also, if I ordered a Martini and requested vodka instead of gin, would you judge me as some weirdo?
>>
>>7811802
Bartending school is universally a scam. I'd literally just told you you wasted your time and money, and to forget everything you learned and then teach you how to do it right.

If you're looking at breaking into the industry, you will not start as a Bartender. Go around and ask if anyone needs a Barback. As a Barback you'll do dishes, stock shit, make sure the bartender has all his ingredients throughout the shift, and you'll be taught how to bartend as you work. it's gonna take a few months at least before you'll start working as a Bartender, and then literally years before you will be working at anything higher end unless you are a total badass and do lots of your own reading and practice on the side.

However, taking the Barsmarts course is a great thing for someone new, and will put you at the top of the pile for applicants. in short, don't waste your time on school. Take Barsmarts and then apply for barback gigs.

And no, a Vodka Martini is fine. Any bartender who Judges you for that is an asshat.
>>
>>7811817
>I'd literally just told you you wasted

I'd literally just tell you -

Don't know what brainwave malfunctioned there.
>>
>>7811638
Do you expect to get more than a buck for a tip? I mean, my drink took you, what, all of 30 seconds?
>>
>>7811745
That's Bruichladdich ye sassenach.

Some bartender you are.
>>
>>7811833
Hey all the alcohol has ruined my spelling ability. mea culpa.
>>
Why can only hipsters and grandmas make a good brandy old fashioned?
>>
>>7811638
Opinion on mixed base spirit OF? 2pt rhum 1pt bourbon is bomb
>>
>>7811839
It's just a super uncommon drink these days outside of the upper-midwest. I assume you're talking a Wisconsin style OF, not a straight Brandy OF.
>>
>>7811845
Of course.
>>
>>7811844
I have done half-and-halfs of many things. Rye and Cynar is a damn good one if you like Amaro, but once you start splitting ingredients it's not really an old Fashioned anymore.
>>
>>7811845
What's the difference?
>>
>>7811845
>>7811858

My Wisconsin Style OF:
2oz Brandy
1bsp Simple
2 Dsh Ango
1 Luxardo Cherry
1 Orange 1/2 wheel

Muddle orange and cherry in shaker tin with bitters, add spirit and sugar, shake with ice and then strain over fresh ice into a rocks glass top with Soda. Garnish with Orange Twist.

Straight Brandy OF
2oz Brandy
1bsp Turbonado Syrup
2dsh Angostura
1dsh Orange Bitters

Stir all ingredients in mixing glass with ice for 45 seconds, strain over fresh ice into Rocks glass, garnish with orange zest.
>>
i was excited when i oppened this thread. inwas expecting some cool greentexts about regulars, worthwhile incidents etc

pretty boring so far desu
>>
>>7811871
Well, ask the questions you want answers to mate.
>>
Favorite bourbon? (for mixing and for drinking neat).
>>
>>7811882
Mixing? Solid mid-shelf is where it's at. Old Grandad or McKenna 80 are solid. Don't spend good money on a mixing bourbon, midrange is good.

Sipping? Right now Michters Toasted Barrel. Jeffersons Single Barrel is amazing, hell, there are like 10 I really like on the market right now.
>>
>>7811874
have you ever hooked up with chicks while on the job?
have you ever seen anthying particulary strange, bad, incredible things happen while working?
biggest tip ever?
worst asshole youve dealt with?

pls respond
>>
Good rums for mixing?

How are goslings and meyers dark? What about cruzan black strap?
>>
>>7811885
Ah nice, I'm also a big advocate of OGD, i feel its criminally underrated.

Wasn't too impressed with Jeffersons desu, one I had recently that I really liked was the Woodford Double Oaked Single Barrel. Like drinking toasted caramel.
>>
>>7811885
You have any good bloody mary or caesar recipes?
>>
>>7811638
i live in new york, so im not sure if the culture is different, but i just turned 21 and what can i do to avoid pissing off bartenders and stuff? one time i didn't tip this guy at a college bar at a dollar beer night and he got super asspained and wouldn't serve me

tl;dr what puts a customer on your good/bad side?
>>
>>7811887
>have you ever hooked up with chicks while on the job?

Not in years, but when I was working dive bars this was a regular occurrence among the whole staff. At the level I work now it would be a huge no-no (also I'm engaged, so that too), but when I was new in the industry and doing nothing but slinging shots and cracking beers it was more often than not there'd be some chick left over at 2am, and well, the Bartender is right infront of her. We used to view it as a badge of honor if we had banged some chick on the bar after close. Good buddy of mine was legendary for taking "smoke breaks" and screwing some random girl in the Bathroom in the middle of the rush. Hard to be mad at a guy with that kind of panache.

>have you ever seen anything particularly strange, bad, incredible things happen while working?

I've seen everything, man. That sounds totally jaded but when you are getting people drunk as a profession strange and crazy shit becomes a weekly occurrence. I know you're looking for some greentext, so I'll type a few out as the thread ages to bump with.

>biggest tip ever?
Single largest tip was $1000 cash. Rich looking older guy came in alone, sat at my bar on a slow night and we nerded out about scotch for a few hours. After a $300 tab, he handed me a grand and said "that's for you man, I'll see you next time". Dude never came back in, but was a great night.

>worst asshole youve dealt with?
Cut a guy off, he started yelling all kinds of stupid shit. Protip: Yelling at the bartender will never, ever get you un-cutoff. I tell him to get out, he refuses, doorguy comes up, he tries to punch the doorguy. Doorguy knocks him to the ground. We tell him to calm the fuck down, we're gonna help him up and he's gonna walk out calmly... We stand him up, and he of course tries to take another swing at the Doorguy, so I choke him out from behind to the floor. This middle aged dude is on the ground, kicking and screaming like a toddler all because...
>>
>>7811910
Stop being a cheap bastard
>>
>>7811887
... I wouldn't serve him another manhattan. My Doorguy just looks at me and goes "fuck this dude, grab an arm". So we dragged him by the arms out the door, down the sidewalk, around the corner, and flopped him there on the ground. He came back later, through a rock at my window, and the cops picked him up. Total dick.

>>7811889
White - Plantation 3 Star
Aged - Plantation 5 Year, Angostura 5 year, Ron Zacapa 10 year
Blackstrap - Cruzan
>>
>>7811910
Okay, here's the deal. You ALWAYS tip, on dollar beer night you don't have to tip a dollar a round, but the general rule is $1 per Beer and 2$ per Cocktail, or %20 of the bill, whichever is greater.

On dollar beer night or similar cheap events, start out by tipping on every other round, and then tip some extra at the end.

As shitty as it sounds, I do make my money on tips (this thread is not a discussion of tipping culture in America), and I will prioritize a person who tips over a person who doesn't. I'm not gonna fuck up your drink or be a dick, but I won't pay as much attention to you as the guy who is tipping...

But yea, basically, don't try to snap or say HEY MAN to get our attention either, that is super not cool. Be polite, tip moderately, ask us a question about something, and don't be a dick.
>>
>>7811927
The selection of white rum here is pretty bad. It's like bacardi, cruzan, and then bottom shelf shit. I was trying to get the white flor de cana, but they don't sell it. Just the 4 and 7 year old versions.

Had cruzan black strap before. Was quite different from capn morgain and kraken. Like coffee rum almost.

Got some plantation dark and then the 5yr old sitting around. Otherwise appleton 12
>>
>>7811940
Can you get Cana Brava?
>>
I'm going to go out to bars a couple of nights in a row with some buddies soon, which is usually outside of my comfort zone. Normally I drink (red) wine at home, and I'm wondering what you think I should order to feel the most comfortable going out. I don't want to be "that guy who [..]" in any way really. I'm also fond of some sorts of craft-style beers and gin&tonic. Don't really know what the norm is to do in a crowded bar.

Also, a bit unrelated, I sometimes find myself in a place where I can only choose between Gordons and Beefeater for my g&tonics, what do you reccommend? And which is better for, say, a gin martini?
>>
>>7811937
>>7811925
thanks OP, i always try to be nice and have patience with the bartender, and i usually tip a dollar a beer. maybe i caught that particular bartender on a bad night by opening up the first drink i ordered without a tip, because i had every intention to tip later. i sure learned my lesson. if you have any more tips for newbie barhoppers like me, i'll be lurking your thread. cheers.
>>
File: Ransom_Old_Tom_Gin_zoom.jpg (26 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
Ransom_Old_Tom_Gin_zoom.jpg
26 KB, 550x550
Do you ever use pic related for cocktails? How should i drink this stuff i just drank it with some ice
>>
>>7811954
If you're a red wine drinker, next time you go out order a Negroni

Negroni:
1oz Gin
1oz Sweet Vermouth
1oz Campari

Stir and serve over rocks with a lemon twist.

Besides that i generally prefer Beefeater to Gordons by a large margin, especially in a Martini.

>>7811960
Yea, always start off with the tip. You don't have to tip the 2nd round because we'll remember your tip from the first, but if you don't tip on the first, some bartenders assume you're not going to tip at all.

And yea, it's a stressful job and you might have caught him on a bad night. College bars and College kids are literally the worst jobs/customers in the industry, so it's an uphill fight unfortunately for you to not be seen as lumped in with the normal college kids.

But yea man, just treat your Bartender like any other person and you'll win 95% of the time.

>>7811961
Makes the best Tom Collins you'll ever have. Also good just with tonic and lime.
>>
>>7811948
Negative. If i saw something like that i'd pick it up. I think i saw some mount gay white rum before. But it was around 20 bucks. Not sure if worth it when i can get some plantation 5yr for 24
>>
>>7811960
Another Newbie tip: Don't pretend you know what you're talking about if you don't know what your talking about when it comes to drinks. A surefire way (provided the bartender isn't slammed) of getting on a Bartenders good side is ask him his opinions on what to drink, or maybe the history of a drink. We love customers who want to know things, we hate customers who like to try to play "stump the bartender".
>>
>>7811984
Dude, the 5 year Barbados is banging stuff, and that is a damn good price. Make some OF's and Daiquiris with it and enjoy
>>
>>7811994
Will look out for it then if i see it again. I used to buy mount gay extra old and cruzan single barrel for 35 a piece. They rose to around 40. If you let cruzan single barrel sit in the glass for a bit, it becomes heavenly

What can i do with zaya gran reserva? It didn't use to be so heavy on the vanilla, now it's like a vanilla liquer.

And pyrate? Which is like an orange liquer lol.

Know anything about brugal? Or havana club? See brugal sometimes. Around 50 bucks a bottle
>>
>>7811994
Why didn't you answer my question?>>7811893
>>
I asked for an Old Fashioned at a local sports bar and the chick behind the bar looked at me funny and said they don't have that. I explained it was a mixed drink and her response, even more snide, was "we don't make that, it's not on the menu, and I've never heard of it"

I ended up just getting a screwdriver. I made a joke about "make it a Philips head" and she didn't laugh

I haven't been to a local bar since.
>>
>>7812010
Havana Club is top tier, buy that!
As for the rest of them, most of those are "spiced rums", so they have all that added flavoring. They go great with a spicy Ginger Beer.

>>7812015
Sorry, missed it brother. I actually don't have any particularly good advice for those, as I never have worked in a joint where they are a common order. That being said, make a Bloody Mary with Gin instead of Vodka and you're winning all day.
>>
>>7812025
Yea, you're at a sports bar. Most of the bartenders there don't know any Mixed drinks off menu, if any at all. They likely didn't even have bitters. When at a sports bar, just go with beer and you'll be okay. Mixed drinks are for mixed drink bars, ordering one at a sports bar or dive bar is generally a recipe for disappointment and bitchy bartenders
>>
>>7812027
Okay since you don't have advice about bloody marys how about micheladas or any type of savory drinks?
>>
>>7812034
Michelada

1 Mexican Lager
1.5oz Lime
.5oz Worcestershire Sauce
.5oz Soy Sauce
.25 oz Tabasco
Black Pepper
Salt

Rim a pint glass with Salt and Pepper, put all ingredients into glass over ice, add beer to top. I double the hot-sauce myself, but this is our standard recipe.
>>
>>7811638

Do you often get 4chan confused with reddit?
>>
Is this a legitimate drink? Can I order this as a guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgasm_(cocktail)
>>
Is that purple aviation drink good? I've seen a few anons talking about it around here lately. Also what do you think about the idea of girly drinks? Do you think there are cocktails a man should not order?
>>
>>7812058
There is no such thing as a Man drink or Woman drink. Drink whatever tastes good to you. An Aviation is a really old school classic cocktail and isn't "girly" at all, in fact they are fucking delicious. If you think your masculinity is compromised by drinking something out of Stemware, you're an asshat.

But yea, Aviations rock. And there are no cocktails that a man should not order, anyone who says otherwise is an asshat.

Aside: It's not a Purple Aviation, it's just an Aviation. The color is bluish purple and comes from the Creme de Violette.

Aviation:
2oz Gin
1oz fresh lemon
.5oz Luxardo Liqour
.25 oz Creme de Violette

Shake for 20 seconds with ice, fine strain into cocktail glass, garnish with lemon twist.

>>7812057
Yes that is a cocktail, it is a shitty cocktail but it is one. I haven't seen one of those made since 2005 though. If you want a creamy drink, order a milk-punch or a White Russian.
>>
Do you have problems with drunk assholes at higher-end bars?
>>
>>7812086
Not as much as at Dives. Higher-End cocktail bars attract a generally older, richer clientele. So these people generally don't act like asshats when they are out, and leave before they get fucked up. That being said it is rare, but the drunk, rich, entitled middle-aged woman is literally the worst possible customer on earth once she's drunk. And it's my great pleasure to kick them to the curb.

My rule is that there are no second chances or cooldown periods, I tell you once, very politely, that i think you've had enough tonight, if you decide to yell and get froggy about it, I do not care and now my doorguy is ushering you out the door. I want to most customers possible to be having the best time possible, and a common refrain we use for the drunk entitled asshats is "go fucking Yelp about it". And they do. And we laugh.
>>
Hey buddy, ex Houstonian here but possibly going back this year. Would love to swing by your bar and try and haggle you for that 4chan price.
>>
>>7811638
You ever make any drinks with lean?
>>
>>7812072
>There is no such thing as a Man drink or Woman drink.
I don't mean to start anything here, but it's probably worth noting that there are people who live in places where there really is a "Man drink" and a "Woman drink" and choosing something that isn't whisky or beer is, from the point of view of the locals, basically the same as putting on assless chaps and showing your rainbow triangle tattoos. Maybe you wouldn't get beaten up or killed, but you'd instantly have a whole lot of (from a local point of view) very negative stereotypes

Source: used to live in the midwest
>>
>>7812106
Love to have you bro, won't drop the name of my joint on 4chan, but we're in the Market Square area of downtown, ask around for cocktail bars and we'll be in the list of 4 or so good ones.

>>7812109
That would be illegal, but it theoretically has been done, in theory.

>>7812111
Which is fine, but most Cocktail bars, even in the Midwest (I'm from Ohio) don't make that distinction. I don't order an Aviation at a dive in bumfuckville, of course. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

That being said, if you're at a Cocktail bar, order what you want.
>>
>>7812126
what makes the best long island iced tea? Also, have you ever made Alien Brain Hemorrhages before? They are delicious.
>>
>>7812126
>When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Yeah, that's true enough. Just figured the kind of guy who asks "I heard about _______ on 4chan am I going to get laughed at if I ask for one" probably doesn't grasp the finer details of what kinds of drinks you order at what kinds of bars.
>>
>>7812126
Any way to narrow that down to at least 2 bars¿
>>
>>7812136
There is no "best" long island. You can use the shittiest ingredients and it will taste the same.

Also, I've never heard of an Alien Brain Hemorrhage. I'm sure it's tasty, but I don't really do novelty shots. I left all that behind in the 90's where it belongs.

Trust me dude, i'm no elitist. I drink Miller High Life and a shot of Whiskey after my shift, but all of those 90's novelty shots are really, really, really not my thing.
>>
>>7812140
I should have worded it differently, i didn't really mean the aviation is a girly drink, i was attempting to pose two separate unrelated questions. Obviously i wouldn't order a drink like that at a sports bar
>>
>>7812156
Near the Islamic Da'wah center.
>>
>>7812159
is long island iced tea a meme drink? they taste pretty good and i was able to get one for 7 bucks at a bar near me. plus it gets you fucked up
>>
BRB, jumping in the Shower and dressing for work. If it's a slow night when I get there I might do some live cocktail making and keep answering questions. In the meantime keep the questions coming and I'll catch up as I can.
>>
>>7812164
It serves one purpose: To get you fucked up cheaply without tasting alcohol. I generally refuse to serve them, not because they suck, but because the people who order them are generally at a higher risk of getting out of hand, because, well, when you order one you're basically telling me "I want to get drunk as fuck cheaply", which is not a good look.
>>
>>7811638

Thanks for sharing your time and your recipes, OP. These all look great.

I'm an aspiring novelist and I really want to write a good bartender. I've been digging into cocktail history, but I know there is a lot to cover.

As a bartender, how would you like to see a fictional bartender portrayed? Are there any cliches or stereotypes you hate hearing about/seeing on the job? Any industry secrets you would like to see tackled in a book?
>>
File: mhmm.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mhmm.jpg
39 KB, 1280x720
>>7812159
Ah cool. Been craving long island iced teas lately and looking for some decent tasting mixers. Pic related, yeah novelty shots for sure. I just used them as conversation starters in college since they were always curious what the fuck it was. Tastes like gummy bears.
>>
>>7811667
I don't understand people who order a martini with just gin and no vermouth at all. It would be cheaper just to order a glass of straight gin.
>>
>>7812171
Really cool question. Don't have the time right now but I will put some thought into this and reply later! Keep track of the thread.
>>
>>7811638
Anyone ever order a hangman's blood?

I want to try it once in my life, but the amount of liquor in that must cost fifty bucks..
>>
>>7812195

Thank you, OP. I'll keep an eye out.
>>
You have any interesting takes on the White Russian or Black Russian, OP?
>>
File: IMG_20160621_172046.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160621_172046.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
cat garnish is best garnish. Shift begins now!
>>
How long do you spend a week on inventory, and what do you use to do it?

Disclaimer - I'm a developer on bar software.
>>
>>7812362
about an hour, a heavily formulaed excel sheet. We carry 100+ skus
>>
>>7812386
He's going to tell you:
1. Excel is not a database
2. Normalization saves time
3. Don't look at the cost of the software, look at the savings to the bottom line
4. You're a businessman, not a database geek. Specialization of labor is the hallmark of a modern society
5. If price is a concern let him get back to you on that, he'll see what he can work out with his higher ups. But more importantly the platform, are there any stakeholders that haven't been looped on the eval process?
>>
How do I improve/modify this drink to make it good

Components:
Gin
Sour cherry syrup
Rose water
Water
>>
>>7812403
ratios? i need more than a list of ingredients
>>
>>7812408
I was hoping you could help out with the ratios. I've tried a bunch of different ones and never really got it like the first time I made it which turned out good. Last time I did equal parts gin and syrup then water to dilute the syrup. Rose just a splash.
>>
>>7812414
glass size?
>>
>>7811831
Why do broke ass niggas go into bars and get things they can't afford?
>>
>>7812434
Because herr trump taught them that if they're an asshole they'll be a billionaire some day
>>
>>7812445
>if they're an asshole they'll be a billionaire some day
In my experience this is true.
>>
>>7812470
really, you've met people born so poor they can't even tip, and they became billionaires by being assholes?

people born into money are jerks but being jerks didn't get them born into money
>>
>>7812434
That's not an actual argument.

If I could make a buck for every 30 seconds of work at full time, I'd be a billionaire in two years.
>>
>>7812481
sure, and if I could get paid for shitposting on 4chan oh wait, I do that at work all the time lol

do you have a job? does someone pay you? then send me money because your employer is responsible for paying you and I feel like taking your money.
>>
>>7812502
Are you drunk? These sound like the ramblings of a drunk.
>>
>>7811638
How does it feel knowing that a woman could do your job?
>>
Is OP still around?
If so, how did you get into bartending? I'm currently jobless and I love the whole idea of bartending, is it hard to get into? and more importantly what do i need to know?
>>
>>7812638
still around but working. ill answer later!
>>
>>7811817
>If you're looking at breaking into the industry, you will not start as a Bartender. Go around and ask if anyone needs a Barback. As a Barback you'll do dishes, stock shit, make sure the bartender has all his ingredients throughout the shift
You seem to think you're far more important than you actually are

Bartending (with the exception of extremely high-class private establishments) is pretty much a McDonalds-tier job. It's not some elite role that requires rigorous training. You literally just walk into a pub/bar and ask if they need any extra staff, that's it
>>
>>7812659
recommended cocktails using Fernet (branca or menta)

recommended cocktails using St. Germain

I got cut off for the first time ever at a bar ive been frequenting last week, not because we were rowdy but because a buddy and i had gone through 4 drinks each in under an hour. felt kind of awkward
>>
>>7812691
having worked in the industry for 10 years, and working high-end for the last 5... i can say this is categorically untrue. sure you can bartend at chilis sight unseen... but anywhere with any reputation takes a pretty good skillset to get in the door as a bartender.
>>
>>7812223
>not having most of those items at home
ive got gin, port, rum, whiskey already.
no way that drink costs you more than 20
>>
File: theglass.jpg (27 KB, 492x705) Image search: [Google]
theglass.jpg
27 KB, 492x705
>>7812422
I looked around to find the one I was using specifically so I could take a photo. It's probably still packed up in a box somewhere. If I had to estimate I'd say 8ish oz. Kind of like pic related
>>
>>7812772
Meant the Burgess's blood:
>gin, whisky, rum, port and brandy. A small bottle of stout is added and the whole topped up with champagne... It tastes very smooth, induces a somewhat metaphysical elation, and rarely leaves a hangover.

Depends on which bar you're at at, which quality of booze you want, and what they'd charge. If I was ordering a once in a lifetime drink like that', I'd probably go top shelf. So it'd be near that price mark if you're charging a la carte.
>>
>>7812796
well of course it depends, but i cant imagine an average cocktail bar who is willing to make that for you with midshelf ingredients would charge more than 20/25
>>
>>7812659
got it op, awaiting response, eagerly
>>
>>7812967
off in an hour. ill write up a good post for you
>>
sorry guys. wont be replying anymore as I just got some bad news with my family. thanks for the great thread and ill do my best to reply to the hanging questions next time.
>>
>>7812126
What is your favorite alcohol; just neat no ice or lime?
>>
>>7811680
Bump for this
>>
>>7812691
>I've only been to bars that use margarita mix: the post
It's not like you need a four year degree or anything, but standards at a good place require being at least a little bit choosy
>>
Thanks OP! See you in Round 3.
>>
>>7811885
How do you feel about the current high proof Knob Creeks? Mixing? sipping? Trash?
>>
>>7812402

No, just checking the response is pretty standard.

Our software time is about 25% of excel time. BUT most restaurants are so tech adverse that it's not a fight worth having most times unless the employees demand it. It's an industry that took 30 years to make the POS standard, remember.
>>
>>7811831

Ex-owner here, my favorite was the cheap fucks who would complain about markup (FYI the bar usually buys booze at about 20% of what it sells it for).

You're not just paying for the booze, or labor. You're paying for the atmosphere, the other people, the location, the rent, the chairs, the bartenders knowledge, etc.

Can't/Won't tip? Stay home and drink there.
>>
What type of glasses are you using for whiskys ?
>>
>>7816250
The best advice I've been told about bars is that you're not just paying for the drink, you're paying for the real estate of a seat. So tip based on the cost of drink +how long you've been sitting on the seat.
>>
>>7816250
But that's markup. Every place has to keep the lights on. A tip is different, it's literally for the labor to produce the individual product.
>>
What's a good mixture I can make with gin so it can be at least tolerable to drink?
>>
>>7812159
>>7812136

False, you can make one with good ingredients and a couple tweaks and it will taste amazing. Roosevelt Room here in Austin makes a great Long Island. Try getting rid of the tequila and using a high quality triple sec like Combier.
>>
>>7812136
>Alien Brain Hemorrhages

if you are a man, never again reference a drink that needs more than 4 syllables.
>>
>>7816250
What if I'm just ordering beer?
Does opening a bottle or pouring a beer really deserve a tip?
Plus I go to a lot college places and if the bartender has to pour out a glass of foam before they can pour my beer I don't give them shit
>>
>>7811638
You remind me of a friend from highschool. Although he does the craft cocktail thing in Austin right now.
>>
>>7816598
Run a tab and tip at the end. 20% is fine. Don't let guys who serve booze for a living act like you wow them something for popping a top or pouring a draft. If you're ordering cocktails or shots that take a lot of work then add some more money to the tip. I bartended for six years in Austin at several places ranging from high end hotel bars to high volume college places. I hated people who got what I refer to as Big Bad Bartender syndrome. Actually cuts into your tips when you have some asshole working with you who has a sense of entitlement. A good bartender should be nice and knowledgable, there's nothing worse than a surly bartender.
>>
File: screenshot_499.png (16 KB, 763x419) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_499.png
16 KB, 763x419
>>7812481
>If I could make a buck for every 30 seconds of work at full time, I'd be a billionaire in two years.
>>
Have some red raspberry cordial/liqueur I made using Smirnoff vodka. Any drink/mixing ideas?
>>
>>7817959
luxardo and some soda water

cranberry juice

soda water and lime
>>
>>7816430
>>7816598

I'm not a huge fan of the tipping system - but as is it's how we pay service staff in the US. The price is artificially low because the wages of the bartender aren't reflected in it, they're reflected in the standard tip.

The tip is not for the labor to produce the product, it's to pay for a bartender to be there. The tip you leave on Friday is literally paying for when they're there on a slow Tuesday as well.
>>
>>7818742
This is true, but I don't understand where a dollar a drink is considered "cheap" at 30 seconds of preparation.
>>
never made drinks in mylife. How do I make mojitos for the fourth
>>
>>7819162

Because it's not about the time spent preparing it, it's about the time on shift. The bartender has to be there all night, he doesn't just come in 2 seconds before you order your drink and leave immediately after, does he?

Most bartenders don't make an hourly wage in any real sense. If they did, the drink prices would be higher.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.