[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do people drink the hard stuff and like it? to me it taste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1436227516_353.jpg (50 KB, 578x302) Image search: [Google]
1436227516_353.jpg
50 KB, 578x302
how do people drink the hard stuff and like it? to me it taste like fire and bloody burning.

...learn me to be alki /ck/?
>>
They're usually over 18
>>
>>7806604
Try:
Drinking a higher quality brand
Drinking a lower-proof liquour
Drinking something sweeter
>>
Exhale before drinking it
>>
I find bottom shelf, room temperature vodka to be palatable as long as I drink it out of a mug. I call it, "mug vodka".
>>
Start with something sweeter, like American Honey.
>>
>>7806604
Don't drink any of those meme drinks in your picture.

Buy a copy of The Robb Report and drink anything advertised in there to be a true patrician.
>>
>>7806604
Everything in that picture is absolute shit.
I like Whiskey, but it's an acquired taste so I don't recommend going out and buying the most expensive bottle of scotch you can find.
Chances are you won't like it, but you might also so it's up to you.

For Bourbon I'd recommend Knob Creek, a little over bearing oak flavor due to the 9 year age, but sweet.
For Scotch, Mclallen 10 year, while overpriced, is a nice very mild scotch that I still sporadically have with dessert.
Rye Whiskey's are very similar to Bourbons, but vary from distiller to distiller depending on how much Rye they add and for how long, again Knob Creek is a solid choice.

Vodka, Tequila, Gin, you're on your own. I don't enjoy them very much. I have a bottle of cask aged Gin in my cupboard from a local distillery, but that's about it.
>>
>>7806604
Someone else said, exhale before you shoot. This is great advice. I remember the first time i took a shot of vodka it was form a bottle under someone's bed, and I felt like my throat closed up and I couldn't breathe. Refrigerating the spirit helps it go down too, I used to keep my rum or whiskey in the freezer, it's so easy to drink it that way. I had a roommate for a long time who drank whiskey, so I would have whiskey and soda (he liked (Wild Turkey, which is why I have a fondness for it now) at some point I realized that the whiskey was just running the flavor of the soda, whereas the soda did nothing to improve the flavor of the whiskey. So I started drinking them separately. It's more efficient this way. Then when I would go out to parties and order Wikd Turkey neat, everyone would be all like "wtf are you doing?" It was then that I knew I had transcended them. Also, if you're going to drink higher shelf spirits, you should not be mixing them. Shit like Turkey, Jameson, Grey Goose, those are meant to be sipped straight, or, with vodka, mixed with more subtle mixers. Otherwise you're just wasting your money.
>>
>>7806833
I'm betting you are a trilby man
>>
>>7806858
Wong, and wrong again.
>>
Get a snifter, a mid-shelf brandy, and sip away.
>>
File: downloadfile-2.jpg (11 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-2.jpg
11 KB, 258x314
>>7806604
>There are actually people in this thread that unironically believe that Johhnie Walker Black is shit tier

You WONT find a better value scotch for less money.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7806604
its for old people with fucked tastebuds, alcoholics and wannabes.
I can appreciate a very good spirit after a meal or on the side while drinking/smoking something else, but everything else is just about getting hammered. The tolerance you need to develop to the strong taste/mouthfeel of alcohol you need to develop, in order to really appreciate the flavors behind it, is very high and not given unless you are a very experienced drinker
>>
>>7806913
You know they're uninformed when they think Hennessy is a shit tier brandy.
>>
>>7806913

>You WONT find a better value scotch for less money.
Prove me wrong.

glenmorangie

next
>>
>>7806913
Glen Moray Port Cask
>>
>>7806913
Black Bottle is the best blended scotch for its price range. That's good sipping.

>>7806604
I drink Karkov's straight but sometimes I feel less like an alcoholic by adding tonic water and a lime slice. It's pretty good. Also don't ask alcoholics for what is a good drink. Most of them don't drink good drinks.
>>
>>7806913
Buchanan's
>>
>>7806913
Johnnie Walker Double Black when it's the same price.
>>
>>7806604
They go well with a 'go 'za don't you think?
>>
>>7807008
hahaha, well memed, good sir
>>
>>7806616
hahaha. good one

>>7806604
you'll get used to it if you just start
>>
File: wild-turkey-101-rye-whiskey_1.jpg (37 KB, 325x720) Image search: [Google]
wild-turkey-101-rye-whiskey_1.jpg
37 KB, 325x720
Get a glass, put a couple ice cubes in it and pour in wild turkey. This is usually followed by 18 hours of pain and misery.
>>
>>7806604
Buy a Johnnie walker blue label once and fill it up with platinum label once you are done. They are not much different. Also, fuck jose cuervo. Tequila is a beautiful spirit and cuervo is giving it a bad rap.
>>
>>7807016
I personally like the bird. My fave bourbon so far is eagle rare by buffalo trace.
>>
>>7806966
>>7806972
>>7806995
Not cheaper
>>7806980
Compareable, but JB is nicer
>>7807003
meme tier
>>
>>7807016
Literally me, except I never had the rye. They don't carry it around here. How's it taste compared to the original?
>>
>>7806604
You get used to it. Bourbon was real nasty the first time I tried it. Now I find it quite pleasant.
>>
JW black is fine. Anyone saying otherwise a fag.

For rums you got plenty of excellent options, and generally at a cheaper price point.

Cruzan single barrel
Appleton estate 12
Zaya gran reserva
Stuff by plantation
Stuff by flor de cana
Meyers dark
Goslings black seal
If you want a molassess bomb, cruzan black strap.
Bacardi is fine if you just want rum and cokes.

Pour you half a glass of bacardi, put some ice, the rest coke. Perfectly fine. It sells well for a reason.

El dorado and diplomatico also put out great product..give em a shot.
>>
File: Evan-Williams-Bourbon-Review.jpg (629 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Evan-Williams-Bourbon-Review.jpg
629 KB, 1200x1200
>>7806604
buy a huge bottle of evan williams (cheap bourbon)

mix it with coke and drink
use less coke until you can drink it straight
once you are able to drink that stuff straight everything else will be just as easy

i honestly suggest staying away from higher end stuff until you recognize the difference is quality from one whisk(e)y to the next

also if you are serious about getting into whiskey buy a glencairn glass,
you will get a lot more flavors out of a glass of whiskey
>>
>>7806913
Vat 69
>inb4 lololo BoB memedrink woopwoop
>>
>>7806740
Are you retarded
>>
>>7807093
Buchanan's is literally $30 for 750ml.
>>
>>7807838
Well not sure about that, its pretty much Black Douglas level of shitness
>>
>>7808094
wonderful post
>>
Op. People say they drink for the taste is lying through their fucking teeth.

Alcohol tastes like shit and people drink it to get fucked up. End of story.

Booze sucks but it's legal and convenient
>>
>>7806604
It's all mental my man. You wanna be drunk? Then take the burn. The burn hurts less than whatever you're trying to kill by being drunk. JameO neat is my drink of choice. The first one still burns if i have an empty stomach but you get used to it. If you don't like it, don't drink. It's your choice, there's no way to make it easier besides cocktails, which will end up just making hangovers that much worse.
>>
>>7806913
>just buy johnny walker blue
>true connoisseur
>plebs
>>
>>7806604 (OP)
The trite things people say are generally true. "It's an acquired taste." Maybe that sounds like a useless meme to you. People say it because after having this type of conversation X times, it turns out that's the most succinct way to say it.
>>
>>7806740
this
>>
>>7806604
>bad grammar
>...

You must be at least 18 to post here.
>>
File: cabo-wabo-reposado-09_r2.jpg (48 KB, 637x960) Image search: [Google]
cabo-wabo-reposado-09_r2.jpg
48 KB, 637x960
Aw yeah
>>
>>7806808
>Vodka, Tequila, Gin, you're on your own.
Quality matters so much with gin. If you just order a gin and tonic at your average bar, it will taste like you're eating a pine tree because they use the cheap crap. So get good gin.
>>
I gotta say, most of it is masochism for me. It feels like something utterly poisonous that would kill you, which it is, but in normal doses it's basically harmless, so this knowledge makes it a good pain. A few brief moments of pain, but then you feel totally fine. Just chase it with a beer.
>>
just go wih hard cider. pretty much like getting drunk on apple juice.
>>
>>7806604
Start off drinking cocktails and mixed drinks before you try drinking things straight.

Start with easy stuff like vodka and sprite, coke and rum, etc... Then move on to actual cocktails.

Then drink things straight. I started off drinking rum, then vodka, but now I hate them both and only really drink bourbon straight. Maybe have old fashioned or sour once in a while.

Fuck tequila though. That shit causes problems.
>>
tipping point for me was trying tiny sips of a whole bunch of different whiskeys in a row. i started noticing bits of flavor beyond the burn.

The other thing that changed for me was using different rum for rum and coke over the years I spent drinking mostly mixed drinks. I realized that I really could taste the difference in rums behind the soda sugar.
>>
black label is pretty soft if you drink it with ice
>>
>>7806604
Actual high-end spirits are some of the best flavors on Earth.

Not much tastes quite as good as a good Scotch or brandy, and there are lots of good liqueurs as well.

Like most young people, you've probably never tried actual good spirits. Most mass-produced spirits and spirits that under 30 y/os drink are awful or mediocre at best.
>>
>>7807016
Do they have the 101 again? I thought they got rid of it.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.